Is there an upper limit or diminishing returns on armor?

+
The game says every 10 points stops 1 DPS or so.
Do that mean if you can stack enough armor you're bulletproof? Or is there a cap or diminishing returns on how much armor you can stack?

I didn't play (yet), but I'd assume that enemy weapons level across the board and thus the DPS will rise as well. But I don't know if you eventually reach a point where it'd reverse, armor getting higher stats while enemies flatten level-wise.

But generally, that shouldn't happen in an RPG.

What I do know that in most RPGs, in late game, you're basically unkillable (you take damage, but not much).

How does armor actually work in CP2077? Note: I'm just making up numbers below for the sake of example.

Is it a flat damage reduction on all incoming damage? Something like "when each single bullet connects with me, 500 armor means that the damage of that bullet is reduced by 25 damage" (assuming a 0.05 damage reduction per point of armor).

Is it a percentage-based reduction? Something like 500 armor means that all incoming damage is reduced by 25% (assuming 0.05% reduction per point of armor).

This has a big effect on deciding what kinds of weapons are best. If armor works as a flat reduction then hitting an enemy once for 100 damage is far better than hitting them 5 times for 20 damage apiece. Because with only one hit they only get the benefit/reduction from their armor once; with five hits they get the benefit of their armor five times. On the other hand, if armor is a percentage reduction then it doesn't matter because proportionally it all works out the same whether you do lots of little damages or fewer big damages.

The game docs are very skimpy on this info :(

Yeah, all I know is I put on a bunch of armadillos in all my mod slots and I was not killable. I took damage but so little I may as well have been bullet proof. This was from level 35 up to 50. I got bored at level 40 of that and replaced some of the armadillo mods with other clothing mods such as for speed.

I had thought I would need to use it (the full armadillo load out) for the last battle "don't fear the reaper" at level 50, but again testing this by attacking a few of the big fortified BASE with dozens of opponents I found it was still too boring so I switch back to my alternate load out for the battle with Arasaka tower.

I was lucky, I nailed it the first time thru not even realizing I could not SAVE at all and that my health max was truncated to about 50% by the Relic! Had I died I may have put the armadillo suite back on out of frustration. But as it turned out I squeezed thru to the end without it.

Last edited:
pre patch 1.2 - enemies could still kill me easily with their colts on very hard even i run around with 5-7k armor. now im a bit bored even on highest difficulty... cant imagen how player feel who dont even play on very hard....
Post automatically merged:

I don't understand :)
In very hard, i have more than 3000 armor and if i'm not careful, i can easily die in few second (vs 3/4 enemy).
yeah i think most player who feel godlike with stacked armadillos just dont play on very hard but on normal or hard... stacked up to 6k+ armor and cyberware which negates all elements or even revive you like 2nd heart - sure that becomes boring very fast.

pre patch 1.2 - enemies could still kill me easily with their colts on very hard even i run around with 5-7k armor. now im a bit bored even on highest difficulty... cant imagen how player feel who dont even play on very hard....
My experience is that "normal" vs "very hard" is worlds apart for armor. In very hard you need 3k-4k (and you need mod stacking)to survive if catch in the open before hitting cover for healing,for normal i don't think i ever worried about mod stacking.

Post automatically merged:

yeah i think most player who feel godlike with stacked armadillos just dont play on very hard but on normal or hard... stacked up to 6k+ armor and cyberware which negates all elements or even revive you like 2nd heart - sure that becomes boring very fast.

LOL, no disrespect intended my friend, but I do not get setting the game to above normal difficulty THEN staking the armor? Why not just remove the armor and enjoy the other clothing mods?

Seems like it is just a way to get an achievement maybe? If so I guess I am ignorant as I hate achievement in games and so I always play off line with my internet shut off so I never get them. Long story as to why I hate achievements but it has to do with a very UNGRATFULE garden gnome that I spend a great deal of time and effort and tears to help go to space! :rolleyes: That little bastard...

Dunno, but I DO know that right now crafting results are WILDLY inconsistent. In fact, go to any weapon crafting pattern and click on the icon for any given weapon multiple times. Not the crafting button, just the pattern icon. Notice how the tooltip values for the weapon on the righthand side keep fluctuating? Now craft that weapon a few times with the different values you see on the tooltip. Your resultant stats for said weapon will swing erratically.

Point being, don't trust the tooltip. Build multiple copies of the weapon for best results because the RNG element seems to have far more variance (in a nonsensical manner) than it did pre-patch.

LOL, no disrespect intended my friend, but I do not get setting the game to above normal difficulty THEN staking the armor? Why not just remove the armor and enjoy the other clothing mods?

Seems like it is just a way to get an achievement maybe? If so I guess I am ignorant as I hate achievement in games and so I always play off line with my internet shut off so I never get them. Long story as to why I hate achievements but it has to do with a very UNGRATFULE garden gnome that I spend a great deal of time and effort and tears to help go to space! :rolleyes: That little bastard...
no, no archivment - just the fact u said yourself: everything below "very hard" is just laughable u feel godlike after the first few hours of gameplay... personally that bores me to hell. i guess many others share this point of view. if u enjoy beeing op one-hit terminator thats okay but than again blaming everything is to easy is kinda hypocritical dontcha agree? : /

edit: im also not one of the 7k armor dudes - at level 50 i used to have around 3k max (on very hard) leaving me enough slots for other mods as well, and stuff is still engaging and kinda fun but still a bit challanging. you really should give it a try game-experience will change a lot ^^

Last edited:
This is the best attempt I've seen to model how armour behaves in the game:

How Armor translates into Damage Reduction : cyberpunkgame (reddit.com)

The main takeaway from this ppost is that it works against ranged damage only (not melee damage). It is a percentage based reduction to incoming damage that scales linearly per point of armour and is modified by a level scaling coefficient. So if you increase player level while holding all other things constant, you will take less damage from enemies.

This is the best attempt I've seen to model how armour behaves in the game:

How Armor translates into Damage Reduction : cyberpunkgame (reddit.com)

That's an excellent analysis, thanks for sharing the link to the post. It's very unusual then, unlike most RPGs with an armour system, it's proportional and not fixed.

Assuming enemies play by the same rules as the player character (not always the case in every game) then it really doesn't make much of a difference if you put twenty 100-damage rounds into an enemy or five 400-damage rounds. The enemy will take the same net damage.

Only motivation I see for single-but-infrequent high-damage attacks is for one-hit-kills from stealth (so the enemy really does die and doesn't warn their mates).

That actually makes me think that fast-attack-speed (lower per-shot damage) firearms are better for actually doing combat. With a faster attack speed it's more likely that a better proportion of shots will connect in a firefight. At least the way I shoot that's the case.

Bye-bye revolver! Hello semi-auto!

It doesn't really matter in terms of damage dealt to enemies - you will one shot them with pretty much anything as long as are you aren't under-leveled. It matters a lot in terms of damage received from enemies (especially enemies that outlevel you).

So this information is really about how to not get one or two shot by enemies shooting at you and how much armour you need to stack to reduce that incoming ranged damage to 1. It cannot be reduced below 1. If you can get incoming damage down to single digits, in combat health regeneration will reliably counteract all ranged damage received.

Where it differs from other games I've played is the degree to which level difference matters. It is never worth fighting against high or very high threat level (indicating that player level is significantly below the enemy's minimum level). Not only do you incur massive armour penalties (and therefore receive a lot more damage), but you also get less exp, incur massive penalties to damage dealt, quickhack upload time and RAM cost. Even if you do manage to kill them, you can't equip the items they drop because they are too high level.

Top Bottom