Following the River - The River Ward thread

+
This is our favourite Jambalaya Master appreciation thread.

1630418742083.png

It's a real pity there is so little content with River (romanced or not) in Cyberpunk. Who does not want to start a Private Eye Office with him?

Congrats for the thread! River totally deserves it, no matter what!
Yesterday I started my 3rd playthrough with female nomad V (for the first time)! So I plan to see River's romance myself :)
Unfortunately, 1.3 patch had broken many mods to their core and my game is glitchy sometimes, but think I'll manage :)

Who does not want to start a Private Eye Office with him?
It'd be so fun if there was even just one more job with him, like as he's getting set up in his new line of work. Like, texting or calling V about something and asking if they could take care of it. I'd love that.

I love River. He's an underappreciated man who loves his family and just wants good in the world.

ibsmWW5oa5.jpg

Thank you so much for starting the thread! Poor River catches so much flak.

Was anyone else surprised his post-Following the River line didn't end up being more important, the one about the worst gang in Night City? I almost expected it to be more dynamic, changing as you irritated one gang or another.

Owner of a life that many would assert the games themes demand to be impossible. The romanceable counternarrative.
He really is. Being a private investigator isn't that far off from being a merc, just the difference between being hired to solve problems vs. being hired to cause them. Chaotic good River vs. chaotic neutral V, maybe. It'd make for a good balance between the two, I think.

Without trying to spit out spoilers for those who have yet to discover this enigmatic character.
His character is met with good writing and a fairly neat followup, whih feels like there's a few chapters missing at time. (specifically the epilogue)
But the offset with his darkest chapter (the one without V) is probably the most contrasting and makes River a truly unique character if you ask me.

I love his questline and overall he is not a bad character and definitely has potential to expand, but there is something which irritates me in him. Maybe its voice over which is very flat, maybe its his lack of style which fits better in the north pole than Night City or maybe he is just missing the edge. For a guy who is/was police detective in quite brutal Night City, he seems to be a bit naive. I dont know how he managed to last for that long in NCPD.

A handful of people submitted more bug reports (within a couple days of each other) after 1.3 dropped because we were so annoyed by the fact we can't talk to River going annoyed. So fingers crossed the next update finally does it.
My favorite "we just stopped caring about developing the game after this point" bug is if you go back to his house after his last quest, nobody ever moves, and the kids are permanently just standing on (maybe in?) their fucking beds.

Despite my constant feedback here, I really liked his character. Specifically -
When he confesses that he didn't execute Harris.
Looking forward to hitting these quests when I start my next playthrough :giggle:

photomode_05012021_215632.jpg

I love River all the way through his quest line I hate that he doesn’t have that much of a story with V and the sun ending with him grates on me sadly I wish they’d fix him and also the fact you have never been able to call him is irritating
us too, choomba :cry:

My favorite "we just stopped caring about developing the game after this point" bug is if you go back to his house after his last quest, nobody ever moves, and the kids are permanently just standing on (maybe in?) their fucking beds.
Because no one was going to care about River with the girls existing! Okay, nastiness over I'm going to try to stay mostly positive from here on out lmao.

Specifically -
SPOILER

It says a lot about his character. His morals are Strong even in the face of emotional situations.

Last edited:
Top Bottom