Row Effect Clear Needs To Return

+
As stated in title, there needs to be a solid counterplay option to row effects. Even if it's 1 card, an expensive card, there has to be a mechanic to clear row effects. When there was only really Frost it wasn't an issue, because Fog and Rain had no place in any meta because they didn't have the cards/archetypes to support it...but now, with Rain, Frost and some random bonkers shit in every 5th or game or so, having no option against it feels kind of bad.

Get on it, CDPR.

As stated in title, there needs to be a solid counterplay option to row effects. Even if it's 1 card, an expensive card, there has to be a mechanic to clear row effects. When there was only really Frost it wasn't an issue, because Fog and Rain had no place in any meta because they didn't have the cards/archetypes to support it...but now, with Rain, Frost and some random bonkers shit in every 5th or game or so, having no option against it feels kind of bad.

Get on it, CDPR.
Adding another possibility of hardcountering certain decks to this already binary game is no good. We don't want another Heatwave. Nerf mechanics if they need to be addressed.

They do need to be addressed. I am referring specifically to those decks that play row effects one right after an other. Getting hit with row effects 12 times in a game (counting those applied by leader ability) is too much.

We already have "Clear skies" as a useless 5 provision neutral card (just waiting for the past 2 years to be turned into something useful lol)...
They should just add "... and remove up to 2 turns of weather effects." to it and there you have it.
I still don't think it's a specially good card but it would be an interesting way to do it. Making it also 4 provisions might be good. But doing something to make Clear Skies playable would benefit the game without a doubt.

We already have "Clear skies" as a useless 5 provision neutral card (just waiting for the past 2 years to be turned into something useful lol)...
They should just add "... and remove up to 2 turns of weather effects." to it and there you have it.
I still don't think it's a specially good card but it would be an interesting way to do it. Making it also 4 provisions might be good. But doing something to make Clear Skies playable would benefit the game without a doubt.

That card used to clear row effects, hence the name, but I'd settle for a -2 turns for a slightly increased provision cost. The problem with the designers of this game is that they always slip back into mechanics that have absolutely no player/opponent interaction. They promised "player agency" would be the core design pillar going forward. And although they have tried, they've let a few things slip through the net.

Row effects, the new Milva card (like, its gone from the board before anyone can do anything about it, and its not like its played from the graveyard where it can be manipulated, so unless you're playing certain Nilfgaard cards there's just nothing you can do about it)

Don't we have Clear Skies if you really wish to remove rain?
Read it mate :D Clear Skies is "Boost all units on an allied row by 1.", at 5 provisions it's a pretty weak card. Has no influence on weather whatsoever.
Also a card that only removes weather effects would be a brick in most other cases so they need to combine it's effect with something more so it's not just so uber-situational.

I've also been wanting a card to clear weather effects. The original Gwent game in Witcher 3 has a Clear Weather card, and it sounds like this Gwent's Clear Skies card used to have the same effect. I think bringing it back makes a lot of sense.

Yes, we need cards to remove weather effects, we also need artifact removal cards, we need many of the older cards to be updated to the new levels of power.
We need many things, but we ain't getting them!

I think instead of the weather removal, which is about as dull as weather itself, there should be faction cards/abilities/effects that are triggered by weather effects. "If played on row affected by weather..." - ... increase damage by 5/ doom five units/ spawn fog on opposite row, etc.

I think instead of the weather removal, which is about as dull as weather itself, there should be faction cards/abilities/effects that are triggered by weather effects. "If played on row affected by weather..." - ... increase damage by 5/ doom five units/ spawn fog on opposite row, etc.

Yeah, just more ways to interact with it would be nice. Either offensively or defensively.

Honestly, I did not really understand why CDPR wanted to get rid of tech cards regarding artefact and row effect removal.

I would appreciate the following:
  • Having neutral units which can remove artefact or remove row effects or attack opponents graveyard on Melee and doing something else on Ranged
Some Suggestions:

Squirrel
Deploy (Melee): Banish a card from your opponent's graveyard.
Deploy (Ranged): Spawn a random beast token with 2 or less power

Scout
Deploy (Melee): Remove all effect in one row
Deploy (Ranged): Gain Veil

Cutthroat
Deploy (Melee): Destroy an artefact
Deploy (Ranged): Give an enemy unit Bleeding for 2 turns.

Scout
Deploy (Melee): Remove all effect in one row
Deploy (Ranged): Gain Veil

Cutthroat
Deploy (Melee): Destroy an artefact
Deploy (Ranged): Give an enemy unit Bleeding for 2 turns.
These 2 would be extremely overpowered - and their two row-based abilities are not even in the same league of power.
Fully clearing a row of all effects can single-handedly nullify a 10p Blood Moon to devastating effect - not to mention you can do it twice as it is a low cost bronze. It can single handedly kill the entire endgame of Skellige rain decks by clearing their 5-6stacked rain from certain rows. Very binary, especially when you consider how cheap of a tech card it would be.

As for on-demand artifact removal, we were already in that situation - it was a most binary and awkward meta, where literally almost all competitive decks had to run these bronzes that were either totally useless or would nullify your opponents most expensive play in one click.

If these effects would ever return, they should do it in an expensive gold tech card format - something that is in the range of Heatwave when it comes to provision cost (and is a constant target of frustration by the community).

These 2 would be extremely overpowered - and their two row-based abilities are not even in the same league of power.
Fully clearing a row of all effects can single-handedly nullify a 10p Blood Moon to devastating effect - not to mention you can do it twice as it is a low cost bronze. It can single handedly kill the entire endgame of Skellige rain decks by clearing their 5-6stacked rain from certain rows. Very binary, especially when you consider how cheap of a tech card it would be.

As for on-demand artifact removal, we were already in that situation - it was a most binary and awkward meta, where literally almost all competitive decks had to run these bronzes that were either totally useless or would nullify your opponents most expensive play in one click.

If these effects would ever return, they should do it in an expensive gold tech card format - something that is in the range of Heatwave when it comes to provision cost (and is a constant target of frustration by the community).

Honestly, I see it differently:

If we have a row-effect heavy meta people will tech using Scout. If they face a deck without row effects he will only be a 5 for 4 and their deck will be less competitive.
If we have an artefact/scenario heavy meta people will tech using Cutthroat. If they face a deck without valuable opponents artefact the card will just be a 5 for 4.

Currently people can already tech against opponents decks whose value comes from their graveyard. Of course if they face no decks focusing on their graveyard the card will have very limited value. Why should not a similiar deck opportunity exist for artefacts and row effects?

Top Bottom