A New Saga Begins

+

We’re happy to announce that the next installment in The Witcher series of video games is currently in development, kicking off a new saga for the franchise.

This is an exciting moment as we’re moving from REDengine to Unreal Engine 5, beginning a multi-year strategic partnership with Epic Games. It covers not only licensing, but technical development of Unreal Engine 5, as well as potential future versions of Unreal Engine, where relevant. We'll closely collaborate with Epic Games’ developers with the primary goal being to help tailor the engine for open-world experiences.

At this point, no further details regarding the game — such as a development time frame or release date — are available.

REDengine, the technology which powers Cyberpunk 2077, is still being used for the development of the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 expansion.

*Update*: We are not planning on making the game exclusive to one storefront.
Honestly, I'm looking forward to it! Just please, tell me there WON'T be character's creation. I want a fixed, predetermined protagonist with their own gender and personality. Also, I personally liked the boss fights that were in The Witcher 2, more cinematic. Any chance you might include them too?

Can’t wait for the next-gen update for Witcher 3! I hate, that we don’t have an release date of it……..

Character creation PLEASE!
I want to create my own witcher
:giveup:

Robust Character creation
Choose my class/build
Choices and Consequences
Romance options for male and female (All options must be bisexual, limited romance in Cyberpunk was disappointing.)

PLEASE GIVE US THE ABILITY TO CREATE OUR OWN CHARACTERS, FORGE OUR OWN PATHS - EITHER AS A WITCHER, WITCH, OR A NEW CIRI. PLEASE PLEASE!!!

I am really curious to see the new direction CDPR takes. I think there is a lot of creativity and options to work with that CDPR can build on top of what they have brought forth, and what fans have come up with that could bring so much more to the Witcher World. I personally would LOVE it if we could have character creation. Following one main story like Geralt was great, but I think there are a lot of fans that would love to create their own Witcher/Witcheress (I don't know if that is asking too much). Regardless I hope CDPR is wise with their choices continuing forward.
Post automatically merged:

I hope they go with the idea of someone restoring witcher schools and plot will center around that.
They could easily have it around (maybe) 50 years or so after Geralt's major story, where a Second Conjunction of Spheres takes place, in which the world is in need of Witchers/Witcheress' again. And the Lynx school could be the main school trained at for our characters. While obviously having character building options (hopefully centered around different schools).

Edit: It would be amazing if we could interact with other schools. Maybe in the first game other schools like the Bear, Viper, and Griffin will be rebuilding as well and there could be a ton of quests helping them and more.

Last edited:
When you create a custom character, he gets inserted into the world out of nowhere. He never existed before and now he does, and that makes all interactions with that character unfulfilling, unnatural and out of place because it's impossible to fully take into account all variables of your custom character: race, sex, face, hair, (often poorly written) backstory, skill set, etc. Instead of having a well established protagonist with a decent backstory and character we end up having a bland and generic nobody who doesn't stand for anything and represents nothing like it was with cyberpunk, which by the way would be a much better game if it had an established protagonist. Out of all games with character creation only DOS 2 managed to create a decent story, and even then the game feels much better if you choose to play as an established character instead of creating your own. On top of that, in that particular game it worked because the lore of the game isn't focused on any particular individuals but rather on the universe as a whole. In our instance the series is literally called "The Witcher" and it has always been about particular characters and their stories, not as much about the world. Aside from DOS, I can't recall a single game with character creation that has a decent story. They may have other advantages like replayability, but The Witcher games don't need those advantages if it means sacrificing narrative because narrative is the cornerstone of this franchise
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you. I think it's entirely possible to have a great story line and have character creation. Think about Mass Effect. It was incredibly popular, won a ton of awards, and had an amazing story line with rich universe. The major protagonist is "Commander Shepard". Commander Sheperd can be Man, or Woman (with recorded voices for the man and woman), customization of physical appearance and fighting style. But you never feel out of place as Commander Sheperd even though it's a created character. "The Witcher" of the Lynx school could easily be similar to "Commander Sheperd" of the Alliance. (Obviously they are different games, I'm using an example.) I personally think that Ciri's part in the story has ended, but she could easily still have a part (The Wizarding World wouldn't go make a new story around Hermione or Ron would they? They could, but what's the point? Great characters but that story is done now, and there's so much more to build on). Can Ciri, Eskel, Lambert, even Geralt make appearances and have a part to play in the next one? Sure! But none of them have to be the new protagonist. They are great characters that were a part of a great story. But that story is over and it's time for a new one (which I believe its totally doable with character creation. Mass Effect pulled it off really well years ago). Unless of course we keep those characters to be somehow involved in the new major story which I am completely fine with. (Maybe Eskel, Lambert, Geralt and Ciri can be the major teachers of the Lynx school with some leftover Cat Witchers). I just believe that since the Witcher World has become so big (like the Wizarding World), now continuing with one predetermined protagonist with certain personality and everything (to me) just feels a little limited. Again that's just me, and I understand others would like one (protagonist) already made for them.

Last edited:
18+, sorry.
Dear developers of The Witcher game! There is a logical error in the plot of The Witcher 3 game.
In The Witcher 1, the price of a prostitute was 250 gold coins in a slum and was significantly higher in an elite brothel. The amount of money the player has for the whole game is small, on average 1000, the money is needed for character development. There is very little money left for prostitutes. :)
In The Witcher 3, the economy favors the player. You accumulate gold very quickly by selling loot. At the end of the game, I had 50,000 gold coins. But the price of a prostitute is VERY SMALL! It seems that 20 coins are in both poor Velen (cheap linen linen) and luxurious Toussaint (lace linen). That doesn't happen in life. :)
Please, when developing The Witcher 4 game, consider these details in the economy of the game. The price of paid love should: 1) vary depending on the economy of the regions and 2) never be low. :)
Sorry for the trouble (I am writing in transliteration). Thank you for your work!
Sincerely!

"We are not planning on making the game exclusive to one storefront."

Strangely how they are playing with words, and being careful and so vague... "one storefront", they might release it on GOG and Epic, leaving Steam out because Epic tantrum.
Ubisoft has a similar deal with Epic, that is not exclusive to one storefront too, but leaves Steam out.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong on this one.

The reason Ubisoft dropped Steam is they got tired of them taking 30% of their revenue. They told Steam they wanted them to give Ubisoft the same deal Epic was giving them, 15% or they were going to leave. Steam refused to lower their rates and Ubisoft said "See ya!!!" ..... Valhalla had record sales for an AC series game without Steam. Basically it was the same thing with Rockstar after RDR2 PC came out which also sold like hotcakes without Steam

The problem isn't Epic Games, it's Steam and their ridiculously high cut they demand ...... For little in return for major publishers that just don't need them to sell games
Post automatically merged:

I've always felt like the developers left the game open ended for a Ciri sequel and I'll explain exactly why that is

During the Bald Mountain quest Ciri takes on the 3 Witches of Corooked Back Bog and one ends up getting away AND taking Vesimir's medallion with her. Seems like an awfully big thing to just be an oversight by the writers/developers when there really isn't any other big plot holes like it in the game .... Seems to me it was intentional and a clue as to where the story was going to go in the next release.

Last edited:
During the Bald Mountain quest Ciri takes on the 3 Witches of Corooked Back Bog and one ends up getting away AND taking Vesimir's medallion with her. Seems like an awfully big thing to just be an oversight by the writers/developers when there really isn't any other big plot holes like it in the game .... Seems to me it was intentional and a clue as to where the story was going to go in the next release.

This is already part of an ending in Witcher 3.. so no plotholes and no clue for next installment.. If you want to see how this plays out check this video:

Last edited:
I think the most 'next gen' thing they could do for this game would be to have multiple origins. For examples...

There is a male Witcher protagonist and also a female Sorceress protagonist. They both exist in the world that gets built, but the people in that world interact with them differently, they have different skills, different play styles, they can resolve conflict in different ways, have different endings, different romance options, different starting areas, etc.

That's quite the comprehensive document you have there. Commendations on the thoroughness and thought you've put into it!

We’re happy to announce that the next installment in The Witcher series of video games is currently in development, kicking off a new saga for the franchise.

This is an exciting moment as we’re moving from REDengine to Unreal Engine 5, beginning a multi-year strategic partnership with Epic Games. It covers not only licensing, but technical development of Unreal Engine 5, as well as potential future versions of Unreal Engine, where relevant. We'll closely collaborate with Epic Games’ developers with the primary goal being to help tailor the engine for open-world experiences.

At this point, no further details regarding the game — such as a development time frame or release date — are available.

REDengine, the technology which powers Cyberpunk 2077, is still being used for the development of the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 expansion.

*Update*: We are not planning on making the game exclusive to one storefront.
I am personally very excited about a new Witcher Game. The strong suits of the CDPR Games always were the story-telling and atmosphere aspects and in that behalf all the game worked totally for me. But I think, gameplaywise, the combat should improve to hold up to modern standards. I have wirtten a concept for a new possible "Witcher" Game. It is attached to this post. Maybe someone of the devs can find some inspiration in it. :)

Attachments

• Witcher new Combat System 2022_03_28.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 54
All I want to know is if it has Character Creation. I didn't like any of the previous games because i had to play Geralt.
The RED engine wasn't great for modding in your own character creation. At most the mods let you replace Geralt with the model of another character in the game.
Then why are you even here.. Clearly we wouldn't want any Witcher game geared to the likes of you. You didn't like any of them even though they were some of the greatest RPG games around. No need for you to comment on a Witcher game or even be around here. xD

Overall pretty excited about this. I've been using blender for a while now and been enjoying learning about 3D modeling and Unity and Unreal capability, I need to start screwing around with more blueprinting and really learning some unreal, but excited to see some of its capability.

Wish you guys the best of luck with the game and definitely looking forward to more in the Witcher universe, after all watching all the Netflix shows and listening to the audiobooks, been a big fan of this franchise, which kicked off with TW3 on Switch. :) Good luck, take the time, enjoy

Top Bottom