Creative building in games, screenshots and ideas

+
Lately I have spent A LOT of time with creative building in Valheim and Sims 4. Now it would be great to see what others have made in their games= ) So let us see your craziest, coolest, biggest, smallest, fanciest, ugliest, whateverest buildings/creations you have made. Valheim, Sims, Minecraft... you name the game. All the same if it was made in creative mode or in actual game without any extra help, it's all welcomed here. If you have a small story to go with the screenshot, even better. Like if you had any specific reasons to do/try whatever you did or was it just a moment of inspiration.

I'll go first. In Valheim I always wanted to find a spot where it would be easy to grow everything you need. Flax and barley needed plains area, but plains are always full of dangerous things that want to kill you. In creative mode I was able to easily explore the map and find a spot which had only tiny amount of plains right next to meadows. There were also mountain and ocean close by. I built several buildings into that small plains area and hid some workbenches inside/under of those to stop plains enemies from spawning. Now I was able to grow barley and flax together with everything else, in same garden = ) Without having to suffer any angry mosquitoes or green little men. Ah the peace and quiet!

Screenshot_5.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg

My "great wall" surrounding the camp also hides several workbenches and stone cutters in it. Makes defending the place easier and lets you easily fix the damaged parts (I hope, haven't tested it yet in actual gameplay).

Another Valheim test that completely killed my FPS down to 27 (so definitely not recommended in actual game) was inspired by this You Tube video. I got bit carried away with ambient mushroom lights and everything else glowing, but oh boy did it look good with full red carpeting! Maybe not that viking-y anymore, but still looking good :D

Screenshot_3.jpg

Screenshot_8.jpg

I just checked, a long while since I played some kind of "building" games.
Minecraft
Either my saves are gone (deleted by me^^), either appear to be corrupted...
Subnautica
My saves were also deleted by me when the "next-gen" was released, so there is just an "early game" base.
10-07-2022_21-44-11-sjatpulo.jpg

Starbound (FU modded).
A base located on oceanic world to "feed" continously my nuclear reactor (base with centralized storage, automatic ancient essence farm,...). So in short, everything needed. I also have plenty "farming bases" on different planets for different ressource types.
StarBound.jpg

Terraria (drunk world vanilla).
Fully flatened and lighted map, corruption, crimson and hallow fully controlled. Bunch of farms and arena everywhere :)
Terraria.jpg

Terraria_2.jpg

Last build on PC version :
Terraria 3.jpg

So unfortunately, I played a lot of this kind of games, but I don't have many screenshots, builds to share
(Maybe I will check ARK too, lot of builds too, but I have to download the game...so)

Last edited:
So unfortunately, I played a lot of this kind of games, but I don't have many screenshots, builds to share
Impressive Terraria pics! Also it sounds like now you have a good reason to play some old games again ;) If nothing else, to take new screenshots.

I have sooooo many Sims 4 screens that it will take a while to get even the more interesting ones posted here, but lets just start with something. Theme in this post will be tiny home residential. In that lot type you have limited amount of space you can build if you want to get tiny home bonuses (like reduced bills). Nothing stops you from building bigger houses in tiny residential lots, but then you won't get those bonuses. Even the biggest allowed tiny housetype can't fit much in it, but there are few ways to cheat the space and still get those bonuses. In the first picture you'll basically see a maximum size micro home.

Tiny donwstairs.jpg

You noticed ladder going up? Basements and second floors will also be counted as living space, so you can't build high towers and count them as tiny home. Every floor counts. BUT! You can build inside a roof, because that doesn't count as separate floor. Of course even the widest roof shape will set some limitations for decoration and furniture, specificly if you want to keep it playable, but you can definitely use it for living.

Tiny upstairs.jpg

Tiny house.jpg

I still haven't tried to build the tiniest possible house which would still be playable and keep my sim happy. Micro home is really small, but I think I could do even smaller and without that roof cheat. Maybe I'll try that next.

If you want to max the space and still get tiny lot bonuses, there is also workaround for that. At some point I enjoyed gardening a lot, but then I got Seasons expansion and thunder storms, freezing winters and heavy rain made it a bit challenging with big gardens. In the picture below is the biggest possible tiny home (thatched roof in the middle) which also uses that roof space for living. All glass roof buildings are the cheat part. Two big greenhouses, laundry drying place and one for bbq-ing. As long as you don't close the space with doors, walls, gates or fences, it doesn't count as room but still keeps the plants "sheltered" as in greenhouse (so you can grow seasonal plants all the time). Now I was able to do my gardening no matter the weather. Bees are also happy there and rabbits will go in to take care of any weeds, but still not sure how to get birds go in and eat the bugs bugging your garden.

Tiny gardens house.jpg

Moar Sims4 incoming!

Somewhere in the depths of internet I once saw a house which had sort of swimming pool as a wall. I liked the idea and it got bit out of hand even. I started to make those everywhere. First attempts were bit lame since I didn't realize that I can actually tweak pool walls and bottoms too. I also tried to put fish in there as it was an aquarium, but unfortunately fish was only visible when looking from above. Same was with people or pets swimming there. Only visible from above.

Glass cube downstairs.jpg

Glass cube house.jpg

When I got more expansions, I finally had a chance to add something into the pools that made them look bit more lively. Steam and bubbles. And the greatest thing is that those were also actually visible below the surface. Yay! Also at this point I had realized that I can put tiles and floor patterns into pools too. Now it looks way better.

Club downstairs.jpg

Club upstairs.jpg

I always make a castle shaped like a skull. My favorites so far have been Conan Exiles and Portal Knights. PK is my Daughter's go to game and we've been building together in split screen for a few years now. In Conan I even built a pathway all the way up the mountain layered in the skulls of my fallen enemies. Pretty fun trek to the top.

I always make a castle shaped like a skull.
Awesome idea! Would love to see some screenshots = )

I tried this out in Sims 4 after seeing your post, but even with the vampire expansion the game doesn't quite fit for building these, even if I used this picture as an inspiration. Or I just need more practise :D I'm still quite proud of the eyes, thought. Anyhoo, was fun to try! And it can definitely be proper house for sims to live, no matter the unusual shape. I just didn't finish the interiors yet.

skullhouse3.jpg

And while we are at it, let's add one gothic castle to go with it. (Wind turbines on the roof are not that gothic, though, but my goths really don't like electric bills...)

Goth castle.jpg
Goth castle downstairs.jpg
Goth castle upstairs.jpg

Didn't know the game, honestly :D Google somethingsomething picture recognition thingy suggested Conan Exiles, though. And since it seemed to be nicely on sale atm, I got it for myself! My friend used to play it a lot and it sounded like Ark (which I played earlier), so I figured I could also like it. Specificly if we are able to build stuff like that in it :D

Didn't know the game, honestly :D Google somethingsomething picture recognition thingy suggested Conan Exiles, though. And since it seemed to be nicely on sale atm, I got it for myself! My friend used to play it a lot and it sounded like Ark (which I played earlier), so I figured I could also like it. Specificly if we are able to build stuff like that in it :D

It is largely like Ark, although I would argue it is much better. There is also a very big update that'll add sorcery and revamp the build system in the works. Supposed to be released Q3 this year. I'm betting September myself.

What @Bartinga2077 did was most likely achieved through the free build. The system needs the revamp, it's unnecessarily convoluted, but other than that I believe it stomps Ark in every way. Funcom is also a much more competent studio in my opinion.

A good purchase, especially on sale.

Yep, I suppose too.
Never played Conan, but if it's like ARK, building these kinds of structures would require an insane amount of grinding :D

If you're playing solo with the normal rules - absolutely - but that's not how the game is meant to be played. You can achieve pretty incredible things with a few people. You can also adjust resources rates playing solo so you could also do it solo. It's mostly the statue on top that gives it away. It would be a pain to do outside of the creative mode as there is very little support and the game would probably not allow you to build it.

Last edited:
Yep, that's the one.

Mighty surprised Google recognized it though, as no UI was visible in this particular picture. It plays more or less the same as Ark, considering the build mechanic. It has vastly human followers whereas Ark has more Dinos. If you're a builder like we were, you're gonna like it. It had the best build mechanic to our accounts. Hope you'll share some of your builds.

Yep, I suppose too.
Never played Conan, but if it's like ARK, building these kinds of structures would require an insane amount of grinding :D
Haha, well this particular build was of a super extreme huge size which took a couple of months to build in total. It was build out of, that time, the most beautiful DLC that we exploited to the max.

Can check
here to see builds of other players. Some are really amazing. That game had, at the time, to our accounts, one of the most amazing 3D mechanics that made builds look like real.

Last edited:
Haha, well this particular build was of a super extreme huge size which took a couple of months to build in total. It was build out of, that time, the most beautiful DLC that we exploited to the max.
Yep, no doubt (y)
Always impresse by some ARK builds... In solo, in survival and even with ressources set to (x2), no way to achieve that, for me at least :D

Yep, no doubt (y)
Always impresse by some ARK builds... In solo, in survival and even with ressources set to (x2), no way to achieve that, for me at least :D
That was something that was super disappointing. You see, Ark has these floating platforms on which you could build. So you would build an airplane on one of them, and it would fly. You would build a ship on a platform that was floating on water, and it would sail.

Nothing of the sort in CE. Seems that was either technically impossible, or out of the dev's liege.

That was something that was super disappointing. You see, Ark has these floating platforms on which you could build. So you would build an airplane on one of them, and it would fly. You would build a ship on a platform that was floating on water, and it would sail.

Nothing of the sort in CE. Seems that was either technically impossible, or out of the dev's liege.
Nope, in ARK you can't. Only a mod allow it (Structures Plus)
In Vanilla, all the structures have to be "linked" to a foundation which can be build, only on ground. If you break the foundation, everything will break (with indeed, no ressource back^^) :(

Nope, in ARK you can't. Only a mod allow it (Structures Plus)
In Vanilla, all the structures have to be "linked" to a foundation which can be build, only on ground. If you break the foundation, everything will break (with indeed, no ressource back^^) :(
Oh, then I was mistaken. Saw it once, and it looked highly consistent. So thought it was vanilla. Never saw something like that in CE though.

Top Bottom