Has CDPR Peaked??

+

Guest 3847602

Does it really matter if CP or W pedestrian Ai is better IF both are flat compared to other games?
No, it does not matter to a significant degree. To me, at least.
In both games, NPCs are there to fill the background.
In both games, meat and potatoes are story, characters and quests.
As long as NPCs are not doing anything stupid and immersion breaking, I consider them good enough. Because game is not about them.

There is A LOT of talk about "Overhyping" and marketing and "being rushed" and disappointing parts of the game.

But the thing to remember is CDPR as a developer, and The Publisher of the games in this case Warner Bros. are not the same thing, and certain decisions and action happen at different levels. So, on the topic of did the "Developer Peak" you need to differentiate between the two. who made what decision, what was in the contract, who forced cut corners who was responsible for the marketing etc... Besides that, I want to reiterate that one bad launch does not = future performance.

Also, I'd Argue CDPR repeatedly told us what was going on sometimes even directly contradicting the marketing department. One of my favorite quotes during the lead to launch was, and keep in mind this is basically them telling us No it's not ready. But after the 3rd delay and the insanity that followed (Death threats/harassment/etc...) IGN ran a story in which they asked CDPR straight up if they "Were confident the game would be ready for the new release date" to which the response was " well we're confident the game will come out that day" If that wasn't a clear message that it's coming out that day but it's below our standards than apparently nothing, but those exact words would do it for some people.

And again, when looking towards the future and if they can reach new heights, they have for the most part been keeping to their word and doing the work, there is a lot of engagement with the community on social media, Pawel live streams all the time, the game has greatly improved over the past 1 & 1/2 years. New content has come out Granted not enough for many people's opinions, but more is on the way, there is still going to be FREE DLC as well as the paid expansion.

I think CDPR can absolutely turn things around and continue to put out great games of a higher quality than what they've already done.

Marketing isn't just about posting straight up, dry information: it's about creating impressions.
It's hypocritical from CDPR to now complain: "Oh, but there was simply too much hype and people expected too much from the game", while they were more than happy to hype the game for preorders and blind, day-1 purchases.
Think about how many really good games ended up a complete commercial failure and shutting down their studios, simply because there was too little hype about them, and through no fault of it's developers.
If your game has massive interest as Cyberpunk had, then it's very important to give a clear, concise presentation of what game is about, what features players can expect.

I'm inclined to agree marketing went overboard. In another thread I also pointed out that there is an argument to be made that if your marketing is interpreted in a way that is completely different than what your product actually is by a sizeable portion of your customer base, then your marketing might be sending the wrong message.

With that said - CDPR never complained about people overhyping things. I have no clue why you're calling them hypocritical besides your hatred for them. It's us players saying people overhyped it. Because they did. There is no denying there is a strong player-driven component to hype. It would be completely disconnected from reality to say it's all because of companies. Gamers want to get hyped about the things they're interested and jump at the opportunity to be hyped.

Do companies use that to their advantage?

Absolutely. Fortunately, we, as players and consumers, can counter that by not getting overhyped on things and actually researching a product beforehand. A lesson everyone should've learned years ago.

- New generation of open world gaming ... this is objectively not true, by measurable technical standards ( interactivity, variety and quantity of content, physics, animations, simulation systems, implementation of mechanics, are all far below many open world games).

Highly subjective actually. There are certainly plenty I would agree with that isn't next generation about CP2077. Night City's design and graphics certainly are next generation. Is that enough to be considered next-gen? Not in my book and definitely not in yours but it is for other people. Who to say who's right? Certainly not you or me.

Neither of us should claim to hold any definitive truth on that.

- New standard for roleplaying games..the game is barely even considered rpg, by most people, if at all.

I asked you this in another thread, you ignored it there and I'm certain you'll ignore it here. Where are you getting this majority? I strongly suspect you have nothing but your own observations of angry people on the internet.

- Cyberpunk will refresh the genre, and bring punk into Cyberpunk..also not true. Punk element is barely present, compared to urban mercenary role.

Disagree but highly subjective. Not gonna get into that.

- Misleading presentation through trailers. It's similar to MGSV that appeared with trailers that overemphasized narrative than what the game actually had.
Why make a specific trailer for Lifepaths or Gangs if they are such an undeveloped, basic feature of the game? Knowing how high expectations of public are, you are intentionally presenting them to be more than what they are. Same is with Pickup mission ( a stand out mission in terms of roleplaying) or simulation features.
In comparison, release day trailer that exclusively showcased characters was far more accurate, highlighting emotional stories of main characters that is the core of the game's narrative.
Witcher in comparison had a much more direct, better, honest marketing ( aside from visual downgrade). Trailers simply showed what the game is about: story driven action adventure with some rpg elements, cinematic storytelling, characters, combat.

Can't disagree completely. Again, there is an argument to be made that the marketing campaign went overboard and might've sent the wrong message. Especially to people who are new to CDPR's games and didn't follow development.

But the thing to remember is CDPR as a developer, and The Publisher of the games in this case Warner Bros. are not the same thing, and certain decisions and action happen at different levels. So, on the topic of did the "Developer Peak" you need to differentiate between the two. who made what decision, what was in the contract, who forced cut corners who was responsible for the marketing etc... Besides that, I want to reiterate that one bad launch does not = future performance.

Warner Bros is not the game's pubiishers. CDPR is the sole publisher. Warner Bros role is only that of a distributor within North Armerica - here is a link explaining that. Just like they were with The Witcher 3 and 2. Warner Bros had no power over development at all.

Just a slight correction to avoid misinformation. Otherwise, agreed, one bad launch is not necessarily indicative of future performance at all.

Warner Bros is not the game's pubiishers. CDPR is the sole publisher. Warner Bros role is only that of a distributor within North Armerica - here is a link explaining that. Just like they were with The Witcher 3 and 2. Warner Bros had no power over development at all.

Just a slight correction to avoid misinformation. Otherwise, agreed, one bad launch is not necessarily indicative of future performance at all.

Fair enough, but still there were contracts, and deals in place plus WB hands we're all over it here in the US, they even gave HBOmax subscriptions out with the games either 30 or 90 days if I remember correctly. But yes, they had Distribution rights not publishing so that's on me.

EDIT: also, I strongly agree with most of the other points you've made above as well.(y)

They're definitely at a pivotal moment since 2077 has permanently damaged their reputation. Whether they can pull themselves out of this hole depends on management and the new talent. Much of the studio has moved on to other companies so it's my hope they're hiring people on par with those who created the Witcher trilogy. If they can't, I can see them simply trudging along like Bioware, pushing out mediocre games, making enough money but never being relevant in the RPG space again.

I'd argue that it does, to a certain point anyway.

Other games might do pedestrian AI better but you also have to look at everything else both games do for a fair comparison. You can't just straight up compare pedestrian system X to pedestrian system Y without looking at everything else. Every PC and console has a finite amount of resources, it's a balancing act, and I feel like it's obvious that was a big challenge with CP2077.
right indeed.

but shouldn't a good pedestrian/driving/police ai be a big focus for cdpr? they built a massiv beautiful world - which sadly feels flat and empty.... if the ai would be more focused/detailed/complex/loved this world with hughe potential would feel way more breathing and authentic - especially if its called "next generation of open world gaming" - what is a beautiful world worth if it just feels dead and uninspired or like a retro perspective of '90s technical standard?

AI & Interaction is what build a world to dive in - not just the background gaphics. at least for me.
Post automatically merged:

Marketing isn't just about posting straight up, dry information: it's about creating impressions.
It's hypocritical from CDPR to now complain: "Oh, but there was simply too much hype and people expected too much from the game", while they were more than happy to hype the game for preorders and blind, day-1 purchases.
Think about how many really good games ended up a complete commercial failure and shutting down their studios, simply because there was too little hype about them, and through no fault of it's developers.
If your game has massive interest as Cyberpunk had, then it's very important to give a clear, concise presentation of what game is about, what features players can expect.
There are plenty of misleading statements coming from "journalists" and were people overhyped some aspects of the game on their own. But same is true for CDPR.
- New generation of open world gaming ... this is objectively not true, by measurable technical standards ( interactivity, variety and quantity of content, physics, animations, simulation systems, implementation of mechanics, are all far below many open world games).
- New standard for roleplaying games..the game is barely even considered rpg, by most people, if at all.
- Cyberpunk will refresh the genre, and bring punk into Cyberpunk..also not true. Punk element is barely present, compared to urban mercenary role.
- Misleading presentation through trailers. It's similar to MGSV that appeared with trailers that overemphasized narrative than what the game actually had.
Why make a specific trailer for Lifepaths or Gangs if they are such an undeveloped, basic feature of the game? Knowing how high expectations of public are, you are intentionally presenting them to be more than what they are. Same is with Pickup mission ( a stand out mission in terms of roleplaying) or simulation features.
In comparison, release day trailer that exclusively showcased characters was far more accurate, highlighting emotional stories of main characters that is the core of the game's narrative.
Witcher in comparison had a much more direct, better, honest marketing ( aside from visual downgrade). Trailers simply showed what the game is about: story driven action adventure with some rpg elements, cinematic storytelling, characters, combat.
amen. nothing more to ad. good one.

Last edited:
right indeed.

but shouldn't a good pedestrian/driving/police ai be a big focus for cdpr? they built a massiv beautiful world - which sadly feels flat and empty.... if the ai would be more focused/detailed/complex/loved this world with hughe potential would feel way more breathing and authentic - especially if its called "next generation of open world gaming" - what is a beautiful world worth if it just feels dead and uninspired or like a retro perspective of '90s technical standard?

AI & Interaction is what build a world to dive in - not just the background gaphics. at least for me.

And that's why I said "to a certain point" because, no, I personally don't believe it should be a big focus for CDPR. That's not what they excel at. I want them to focus on what they excel at and only to get better at the other things because what they excel at is the primary reason I play their games. Other studios/games excel at other stuff and I got those studios/games to scratch that itch.

In CP2077's case, they provided me with what they excel at. I wish there was more of it (I wish CP2077 was as long as TW3) but they provided me with what I wanted and they got better at other stuff too. I find myself having to add "now" again because my opinion was different at launch.

There a lot of subjectivity here. You consider it to feel dead and uninspired and I just can't agree. I genuinely don't care to see NPCs living their lives. The city itself is astounding. It's design, it's labyrinthine dark alleys, the trash, the violence, and so on... it sells a vision of a city that feels anything but dead and uninspired to me but like I said, that is very subjective and it speaks to everyone differently. I just want to be clear that I'm not claiming my opinion is any more valid than yours.

Would a better pedestrian AI/better NPC routines improve things? Sure, absolutely. In the same way that a better story with branching choices would benefit GTA5 but each game has their strengths and no game has it all. I don't want CDPR to give me GTA in the future and I don't want GTA to get too serious either. Both games aim for very different things.

The police system is the only thing I'm still disappointed about with CP2077. That's also better than it was but it still feels... off. I also don't want it to be turned into GTA's system because, again, not the same kind of game and I don't expect the same things from both games.

I guess I just dive into different worlds for different reasons and don't expect them to provide me with everything I liked from the other ones.

Last edited:
And that's why I said "to a certain point" because, no, I personally don't believe it should be a big focus for CDPR. That's not what they excel at. I want them to focus on what they excel at and only to get better at the other things because what they excel at is the primary reason I play their games. Other studios/games excel at other stuff and I got those studios/games to scratch that itch.

In CP2077's case, they provided me with what they excel at. I wish there was more of it (I wish CP2077 was as long as TW3) but they provided me with what I wanted and they got better at other stuff too. I find myself having to add "now" again because my opinion was different at launch.

There a lot of subjectivity here. You consider it to feel dead and uninspired and I just can't agree. I genuinely don't care to see NPCs living their lives. The city itself is astounding. It's design, it's labyrinthine dark alleys, the trash, the violence, and so on... it sells a vision of a city that feels anything but dead and uninspired to me but like I said, that is very subjective and it speaks to everyone differently. I just want to be clear that I'm not claiming my opinion is any more valid than yours.

Would a better pedestrian AI/better NPC routines improve things? Sure, absolutely. In the same way that a better story with branching choices would benefit GTA5 but each game has their strengths and no game has it all. I don't want CDPR to give me GTA in the future and I don't want GTA to get too serious either. Both games aim for very different things.

The police system is the only thing I'm still disappointed about with CP2077. That's also better than it was but it still feels... off. I also don't want it to be turned into GTA's system because, again, not the same kind of game and I don't expect the same things from both games.

I guess I just dive into different worlds for different reasons and don't expect them to provide me with everything I liked from the other ones.

mhm than what exactly are they excel at in CP77? choices which don't matter? perks which are irrelevant and still broken? a story which is unaligned in its own concept? without offense what exactly has cyberpunk to offer other than the setting//city what is memorable/good compared to other open world games? what makes so many old standards excusable to overlook them?

also I dont think people expect "everything" from CP77 - but everything the studio claimed for - with highspoken quotes like "a new generation of open world gaming" or "refreshing the rpgs genre" or "being the leader in the rpg industry". with those words in mouth & media they need to deliver. CP77 is nothing of those legendary marketing sentences but weaker than standard and competitors. its not "everything" its just what they missed to create & deliver. - hopefully they can create & deliver with UR5 in the future.

edit: i have to admit.... that the soundtrack/music in atmosphere is one of the better ones I've seen so far but still not outstanding tho.

Last edited:
mhm than what exactly are they excel at in CP77? choices which don't matter? perks which are irrelevant and still broken? a story which is unaligned in its own concept? without offense what exactly has cyberpunk to offer other than the setting//city what is memorable/good compared to other open world games? what makes so many old standards excusable to overlook them?

also I dont think people expect "everything" from CP77 - but everything the studio claimed for - with highspoken quotes like "a new generation of open world gaming" or "refreshing the rpgs genre" or "being the leader in the rpg industry". with those words in mouth & media they need to deliver. CP77 is nothing of those legendary marketing sentences but weaker than standard and competitors. its not "everything" its just what they missed to create & deliver. - hopefully they can create & deliver with UR5 in the future.

edit: i have to admit.... that the soundtrack/music in atmosphere is one of the better ones I've seen so far but still not outstanding tho.

This is very subjective though. Plenty of people thought the story was good, plenty of people enjoyed the combat system even though it needed some work, many people saw a good game buried under the jenky launch. And many people enjoyed the changes and fixes from the patches after launch.

For what it's worth I always felt this game had potential it didn't live up to, and it keeps getting better but it's still not what I think it could have been, maybe 1.6 or the expansion(s) will get it there. maybe not who knows? AND I AGREE marketing does use terms that over hype. but honestly, they all do it, every game on earth that uses the term "Next Gen" it's like they're setting up for disaster, because "Next Gen" or "New Era" or anything along those lines means different things to different people. It sounds big and huge and epic and just vague enough that it could be anything, but it must be good. Next Gen should literally only be used when a MASSIVE LEAP in technology is actually happening, but it sounds cool, so it gets overused.

As far as NPC behavior and Immersion look at EVERY single Bethesda game over the past few generations, the NPCs all have "Lives" they go to work and sleep and eat and all other "Real world" things and that was the big thing they do, and "New Era" NPC behavior, and really cool and unique but they haven't really evolved the formula or improved on the blueprint in any meaningful way in a long time. and every game they put out is usually broken as hell at launch. And let's be real does knowing that NPC#463 likes to drink after work actually make the game more fun? And look at Fallout 76, wow was that a bad launch, they took out human NPCS the thing they do best, plus the bugs and general lack of things to do. But do we say they "Peaked" not really, and the hype for Starfield is Massive, possibly bigger than any other game including CP2077, except for Maybe Elder scrolls 6 whenever that finally happens. Maybe that's because they fixed FO76 or maybe it's just the marketing or nostalgia for their games, but the hype is there.

Most of this stuff comes down to what you're looking for in a game, and what the developer is known for, and setting expectations. This game definitely overpromised and underproduced. But to say it got nothing right. or the to act as if everyone shared the same experience is a little unfair and subjective to everyone's own opinion. I 100% agree this is not what E3 promised all those years ago, and the hype was only a small part of the letdown, the game itself fell short with no one else to blame. But I do think there is a lot of good in it, interesting characters, locations, themes and ideas, that will hopefully be expanded on and improved as the franchise continues.

they built a massiv beautiful world - which sadly feels flat and empty
While I do criticize CP77 world for majorly lacking in interactivity, I personally can't agree with the opinion that it feels flat and empty. For me CP77 is one of the few games that I toggle walking speed in (thank the gods they've added it on PC with 1.5), because streets of Nigh City actually feels busy and alive and I love soaking in it's atmosphere. Sure, the illusion can sometimes be broken by doubled NPCs, some weird AI behaviour etc., but overall I consider traversing Night City a delight.

I'd argue that it does, to a certain point anyway.

Other games might do pedestrian AI better but you also have to look at everything else both games do for a fair comparison. You can't just straight up compare pedestrian system X to pedestrian system Y without looking at everything else. Every PC and console has a finite amount of resources, it's a balancing act, and I feel like it's obvious that was a big challenge with CP2077.

As long as there is a clear evolution within their own games, I don't mind if certain of CDPR's systems aren't the best. There are things they are incredible at and where other studios can't compete with. Ultimately, no studio can boast being the best at everything and I don't expect CDPR to try to reach that point. That would be completely unreasonable expectations on my part.

I'd say the evolution between TW3's pedestrian and CP2077's is very clear - at this point in time.
If you design a game where the other systems make one so poor that it breaks the immersion and even the fun, you have a design problem.

Do you know any other game that combines Deus Ex-ish gameplay and open world environment?
like I said the setting/world is great and kinda refreshing - deus ex gameplay tho? we dont need to talk about first person ego shooter gameplay, do we? the gameplay has nothing original. its a loot shooter - nothing else.
Post automatically merged:

This is very subjective though. Plenty of people thought the story was good, plenty of people enjoyed the combat system even though it needed some work, many people saw a good game buried under the jenky launch. And many people enjoyed the changes and fixes from the patches after launch.

For what it's worth I always felt this game had potential it didn't live up to, and it keeps getting better but it's still not what I think it could have been, maybe 1.6 or the expansion(s) will get it there. maybe not who knows? AND I AGREE marketing does use terms that over hype. but honestly, they all do it, every game on earth that uses the term "Next Gen" it's like they're setting up for disaster, because "Next Gen" or "New Era" or anything along those lines means different things to different people. It sounds big and huge and epic and just vague enough that it could be anything, but it must be good. Next Gen should literally only be used when a MASSIVE LEAP in technology is actually happening, but it sounds cool, so it gets overused.

(...)

Most of this stuff comes down to what you're looking for in a game, and what the developer is known for, and setting expectations. This game definitely overpromised and underproduced. But to say it got nothing right. or the to act as if everyone shared the same experience is a little unfair and subjective to everyone's own opinion. I 100% agree this is not what E3 promised all those years ago, and the hype was only a small part of the letdown, the game itself fell short with no one else to blame. But I do think there is a lot of good in it, interesting characters, locations, themes and ideas, that will hopefully be expanded on and improved as the franchise continues.

fair enough. I wouldn't hang around with 3k+ hrs played and criticize cp77 or cdprs behavior If I wouldn't see the potential like you. on the other side those 3k+ hrs give me a pretty clean opinion what's wrong in several areas - what many hmm lets call them "veterans" obviously can't do, defending and arguing with everyone who doesn't praise the game to heaven.

I agree some points are really subjective if it comes to story or chars/npc bgs, music etc. - what isn't subjective tho is the technical standards in gameplay, ai, character development and everything else around common/known systems - and there cp77 is definitely lacking without a doubt. and everyone who argues about that, should ask him/hersef why he/shes even trying to do it.

Last edited:

Honestly, with your last post and this one. I don't feel like there is any point to answering that. We'd go in circles indefinitely which is not something I have much interest in revisiting again (not talking about you specifically. Speaking generally). I get the impression you're angry because of what the game could've been and what you got hyped up it would be, not necessarily because of what it is.

Because who would spend 3K hours in a game they hate as much as you seem to?

I just can't wrap my head around that.

Guest 3847602

deus ex gameplay tho?
Yes, the essence of Deus Ex gameplay is:
1) game providing you with the objective
2) to have multiple paths to said objective and having to utilize exploration, your character's skills and cybernetic upgrades to reach it
3) game leaving it up to you whether you wanna complete your goal using stealth or not, to be lethal or non-lethal

Cyberpunk 2077 is doing this in every gig, most of the side quests and some of the main quests.

we dont need to talk about first person ego shooter gameplay, do we?
First person perspective would be one more thing this game have in common with Deus Ex, not something that separates them.
As for the shooter gameplay, you're not forced to fire a single bullet throughout 99% of the game. I think it's only mandatory in Johnny's flashbacks and during car chases.

its a loot shooter - nothing else.
Which looter-shooter is doing things I mentioned above? Destiny? Division? Warframe? Anthem?
Are people playing CP2077 for the loot? Is there "endgame" or daily events or do you play it online?
If it is a looter-shooter it is unlike any other looter shooter. :shrug:

I agree some points are really subjective if it comes to story or chars/npc bgs, music etc. - what isn't subjective tho is the technical standards in gameplay, ai, character development and everything else around common/known systems - and there cp77 is definitely lacking without a doubt. and everyone who argues about that, should ask him/hersef why he/shes even trying to do it.

I agree calling out the launch, or bugs that are still ongoing, or the marketing as somewhat misleading is totally fair. Honestly by ignoring it entirely as a fan you're doing CDPR and yourself a disservice.

I just think many people won't let go of the launch or choose to focus on the bad more than the good, and that just seems like a waste when it comes to something that is 100% optional entertainment. I think some people just have blinders on in that regard. either fanboy level dedication or a full bottle of hateraide. But at the end of the day, it's a game, if it's fun and you like it and see the good cool, if not, also cool don't buy the next one or wait for reviews.

And again, not to sound like a broken record, but 1 misstep or bad launch does not mean the next game won't be an absolutely fantastic game. It's way too early to act like CDPR has lost the plot, in fact this game could be a turning point they learn from, and the next thing is the best they ever put out to date. I'm all for calling out or addressing a real issue or complaint, and I don't see anything wrong with your post to be clear.... but for some, acting as if the sky is falling, I think it's too much. why be so angry? just play something else :shrug:

Someone here doesn't know what a looter shooter means. A looter shooter is a shooter where you shoot at increasingly more difficult enemies that drop increasingly better loot in order to continue the cycle. No online element or dailies or end-game required (see Shadow Warrior 2). Let's not pretend Cyberpunk doesn't incorporate a lot of looter shooter elements in its core gameplay loop, claiming otherwise is at best misinformed and at worst - disingenuous. Is it a very good looter shooter? Not really, I don't think - the balancing is way off and the loot progression lacks any real depth.

Does the game also try to be an immersive sim (such as Deus Ex)? Yeah, absolutely, it tries to be one. But I find that it ends up resembling Far Cry 3 (and later iterations) a lot more than it does an immersive sim, with the combination of all gameplay elements. Cyberpunk, really, is an amalgamation of so many different gameplay ideas, that I feel it ends up being detrimental to the whole experience, as the game does neither aspect all that well and lacks a strong core. The result is a half-baked mixture of mediocrity that doesn't know what it wants to be. I suppose it's understandable why it's so many different things to so many different people, depending on which attempt at a gameplay loop you have your focus on.

Going back to the original topic - the actual topic - which was:

Have CDPR peaked in terms of Cyberpunk 2077 updates?

I don't believe they've delivered all of their free DLC yet, right? Then there's also the expansion. So... I guess the answer to that question will depend on each person individually in terms of what is important to them. If you expect years of updates, then no, that won't happen and it was never on the cards. If you're expecting maybe an extra gig or two, some cosmetics, even NG+ or the like, then perhaps the "peak" is yet to come for you - those are all things that CDPR have delivered as part of their free DLC package for TW3, so it's not at all unlikely that Cyberpunk might get some similar additional content too. Even this is guesswork though, I don't know of any official roadmap for the free DLC by CDPR, so the truthful answer to the question is: :shrug:

Last edited:
Top Bottom