Announcing Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty

+
Yesterday there were more than 25,000 people watching the live and they have more than 18,000,000 copies sold and the game is a single-player story mode with a year and a half old. I wouldn't say too high that Phantom Liberty is the only expansion, it may be a bestseller that pushes the decision to further expand the life of Night City with a second expansion in 2024 that would put the finishing touch to this stage of CDPR.
1662538722986.png

I don't know if this tweet has been posted yet in this thread but here it is confirmed

they are gonna burn their last Gen player base and that’s not gonna be forgotten.
I was anticipating the expansion not coming to last-gen, however general consensus in the playerbase and media being that Cyberpunk should never have been released on older consoles in the first place means that any outcry will likely be quiet, short lived or shouted down on message boards by anyone with modern hardware. It was rare to even find an article when the 1.5 update completely broke the game for owners of the PS4 disc version or the numerous missing features (Iguana pet, new weapon inspects, etc...)

especially when there's not even a thought of a cp2077 sequel currently.

it means after next year there will be many years more before we get anymore cyberpunk content from cdpr

I guess I will just have to move on
The horizon is still far away for Witcher 4, 2025 for its release? A team already experienced with Cyberpunk 2077 can continue to work on developing a second expansion if Phantom Liberty becomes a blockbuster. Do not throw your cards yet, the game is not over. Changing that tweet depends on the success of the first expansion.

Last edited:
Yesterday there were more than 25,000 people watching the live and they have more than 18,000,000 copies sold and the game is a single-player story mode with a year and a half old. I wouldn't say too high that Phantom Liberty is the only expansion, it may be a bestseller that pushes the decision to further expand the life of Night City with a second expansion in 2024 that would put the finishing touch to this stage of CDPR.
To be fair, 1.5 stream was watched on twitch by over 100k people according to data from steam. Also, there is no spike in people playing so far as it was with 1.5. I`m sure expansion will get positive response and sell, but maybe with data that CDPR says, its still better to move on to other projects. Time will tell.

To be fair, 1.5 stream was watched on twitch by over 100k people according to data from steam. Also, there is no spike in people playing so far as it was with 1.5. I`m sure expansion will get positive response and sell, but maybe with data that CDPR says, its still better to move on to other projects. Time will tell.
100.000? :giveup:
CDP and CDPR have been very hurt by the punch in the face of the beginning of Cyberpunk 2077, if they tell me that now they are going to punch us back with an advanced game and at the level they planned to do and I would believe it. An update is not only an improvement for the players, it is an injection of enthusiasm and energy for the developers who see that their work is applauded. The lack of players in Cyberpunk 2077 will change the moment they announce the DLC with the street stories where we can live new stories with a more complete Cyberpunk 2077. Many players just jump in to see the improvements and leave because they still can't do anything in a 100% played Night City. The work of the Modders will also help to reconnect with Cyberpunk.

Oh, too bad that there is only one expansion coming, but I'm sure it will be great!
Maybe they are making only one very big expansion instead of two smaller ones?

Anyway, glad to hear that there will be "more features" coming in the next updates and that will drop the support for older platforms!

I do hope they do not plan to drop the Cyberpunk world and that we will see a sequel or something!

It's also sad that they are going to throw away their own engine, but I believe it's easier and cheaper to work with the UE5 instead of mantaining your own engine.

Anyway, I believe I am going to replay CBP2077 again soon!

So this happens within the existing story timeframe.

Chances of me buying this: zero.

If they don't continue the story, I will not be putting a single penny into this p.o.s. anymore.

Well I think it's normal: the game is now almost 2 years old and yet has regularly 10.000+ players on Steam (I have no GOG and consoles data). I think this is still a lot for a single player game.

In my opinion: with Phantom Liberty we are talking about War in the Pacifica area, crossing the black wall, more stories with the Voodoo boys, the artificial intelligences of Night City come into play and it is surely a story that we can experience during the development of the main story and that will give the pacifica area a much more elaborate environment. I do not lose it.

The horizon is still far away for Witcher 4, 2025 for its release? A team already experienced with Cyberpunk 2077 can continue to work on developing a second expansion if Phantom Liberty becomes a blockbuster. Do not throw your cards yet, the game is not over. Changing that tweet depends on the success of the first expansion.

With the game only coming to PC and current gen consoles I think you are likely going to see a reduction in sales and thus CDPR moving on. Which is unfortunate. The updates yesterday have me extremely excited for the game as it currently is, the expansion and oddly the anime (and I don't even like anime). It seems like they are just now getting back to the point where the fanbase is far more unified in support of the game and they are ready to move on.

But that being said - maybe they are going to keep their promise of releasing as much 'DLC content' as The Witcher 3 in one expansion. They have been working on Phantom Liberty since before the game released - at least from what their charts from investor calls show us. So maybe it is just going to be absolutely massive and the size of two expansions in one or something like that.

I hope they keep making content for the game - because it is a really great game. But it seems their motivations are fueled not just by continue to make money on Cyberpunk 2077 - I think a lot of this is about getting off of RED Engine and onto UE5.

We will see about a size but actually a lot of expansion work was on hold due to fixing of base game so I`m not sure if it will be so massive. Yeah, maybe a bit bigger than they intended originally but doesnt have to be twice bigger. On a good note, Pawel Sasko said one time that people who critisize lenght of CP2077 in comparison to W3 should wait until they are done with CP2077 will all extra things like Witcher had. So maybe its not gonna be plus 3 days of content but something significant.

Personally looking forward to expansion and cant wait get into it, i do think after expansion time draw line on this game though and go full steam ahead for the sequel instead .

Please be more proper netrunning in expansion or a place we can plug in anytime

Some things I will add:

1. Looking around the Internet I see some people saying two expansions are now completely out of the question because pre-production will have needed to already have begun on 'Expansion 2'. I think a second expansion is unlikely - but let's not forget the initial plan was to pretty much immediately announce both expansions right after the release of the game.

CDPR has all of the extra content already laid out and plans put in place, at least from what we have heard. I imagine they could launch into a second and even third expansion pretty easily from a story standpoint.

2. That being said I doubt we see a second expansion - BUT! If Phantom Liberty sells incredibly well and gets rave reviews with fans begging for more - I could see them producing a second expansion before they pull the vast majority of their workforce off of their old engine.

3. But consider 1 and 2 - I honestly think their preference is to not make a second expansion. I bet they have even taken pieces of the other planned expansions and rolled them up into this one. I think the most likely scenario is they want to get to RED 2.0. They want to get onto UE5. They want to start producing two AAA titles at once like they have stated repeatedly.

CDPR seems focused on getting The Witcher 4 underway while at the same time slowly working on Cyberpunk 2 along side of it. Based on what I have seen I think they will learn from their mistakes, released finished products (or at least ones in a much better state) and then tack on tons of content on top of those.

4. Speaking of content on top of The Witcher and Cyberpunk... I do not think it should be lost on everyone that the scrapping of multiplayer is an enormous deal. That was likely going to be a cash cow for them. CDPR wants to get into that 'GTA Online' space, they want to be able to make games that they can monetize over the long haul and things like that.

I think you see The Witcher 4, a couple of expansions and then an online version of the game that they prop up while finalizing work on Cyberpunk 2, which will also get some expansions and then a multiplayer mode. This way they can keep bringing in revenue on both IPs while they develop the sequels to both of them.

There won't be a second expansion. Deal with it. I don't like this at all, but it was pretty clear with the annoucement of the switch to UE5, when they started talking about "expansion", in the singular. Some of us tried to point this out, at the time, but of course we were: "the pessimistic/dodgy ones".

Anyway, honestly, I can understand them: CP2077 is one of my all time favorite games, but it clearly came to light with some obvious flaws and problems. It's a game that can be improved to a certain extent, I'm afraid. So, it's probably for the best to go ahead, to move on and start working on a new project - The Witcher 4 is in progress and I want to dream about a "CP2078". A man can dream.

People are saying that expansion will be happening within the main story time because Johnny is here and in almost every ending we are separating him from V. But you never know what devs can do
They were "smart" enough to avoid any spoiler :)
I have to "rewatch" it, but I don't remember to see any nomad, nor something related to the Crystal Palace, nor something linked to the Devil ending. But who know, I think they will keep the secret until release.

Top Bottom