REDmod - tutorials

+

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
Take your first steps in Cyberpunk 2077 modding with Moritz and Ákos, our REDmod developers!

TUTORIAL #1
Learn about the basics: what is REDmod, how to install it, and how to use it to add mods to your game.

TUTORIAL #2
Learn how to create a new script mod step by step. Includes answers for some of your questions following the first episode.

TUTORIAL #3
This episode is dedicated to animation modding.

TUTORIAL #4
Let's take a look at TweakDB modding.

Last edited:
Hopefully the initialization process is simplified. I've had multiple people coming to ask questions why Redmod mods wont work and it's because they don't press the play button on redlauncher or gog and expect that skipping redlauncher or using --modded argument just works. Especially on Steam side it's an issue. And even bigger of an issue is that when you install new redmod mods you need to delete the cache files or disable mods on redlauncher and relaunch it, re-enable the mods and it's just a hassle.

Hoping for some actual scripting tutorials soon enough. Would love to see how to make things happen in this really complex ecosystem

I just did watch the video, great initiative.
This is not a rant about it. I know it's early days and everybody has to get used to it. But English is not my native language, so maybe it sounds hards but I don't mean it that way :)

I get the strong feeling that REDmod is something for people who are more "knowledgeable" in it all? Terms like "mod deployment" and so on are saying nothing to me. Especially hard when English is not your native language (like me).
I see a lot of reactions (here, Nexus, Reddit) from people who don't get it. I am one of them.
In the video the man is talking about that it's easier for users to manage and sort mods. But for me it's 100% the opposite? The mods from Nexus (incl CET and RedScript) are placed in their respective folders, mods are placed in the \archive\pc\mod\ folder and that's it. I run CP2077 and it works.
But for a normal (maybe simple) user, REDmod is way more complicated.
Also the use of GOG Galaxy. I only use that for updates but for the rest I run the CP2077 exe directly. I truly hate all those extra programs with useless overlays and so on.
In the video there is something like a 2nd executable? I don't have that.
Also a window should appear with mods loading? Not here.
Really don't know if I did something wrong with REDmod or with GOG Galaxy. Or whatever.
And the REDmod Support page only adds to the confusion. Right at the start there, it says "You can use REDmod modding tools separately (in the commandline) or integrated into the WolvenKit mod editor (recommended for best experience and ease of use)" ... what?? o_O

So I really hope that DCPR can make this easier in use. Especially when in the future this become the only way to use mods.

I need to learn how to use it for making mods BC I want to replace some coats and face wear with wearable accessories like watches, bracelets and necklaces as the mod that already does that is for female V only and frankly that’s a total bummer BC I think male V deserves to look dope too. I hope to see more tutorials come out as I’ve got some experience with modding Fallout New Vegas but not Cyberpunk so I have no idea where to start really. I tried going in blind and could not for the life of me find the clothing assets.

I would request (request like begging on me knees request) that you to do a tutorial on how to mod (increase) the LOD/draw distance of the game
(globally or per model)

One of the deficiencies that I see is that a lot of people are really enthusiastic about creating different clothing, objects, guns, cars but do not have the skillset to do this from scratch. A large amount of mods that exist are item replacements but in many cases people would have preferred to add onto the existing game without replacing things. The amount of mods that I have see that add in new hair styles, tattoo's, clothes, weapon/car skins etc that sort of get lost as they replace other items in the game is great, but they get looked over as they replace the great work that CDPR has done.

It would be great if there was a template that existed that we could use to create new clothing/cars/guns/hair styles/tattoos etc and add them into the game without replace existing times, I am sure a lot of people would appreciate that and it would definitely accelerate the amount of smaller mods that are out there.

I'm kinda looking forward to how complicated altering the gameplay and charactersystems will be. Who would've guessed, right? :p

Can you guys please provide a syntax/grammar and some detailed documentation on your scripting language? It seems to be nearly identical to the redscript syntax, but some official language docs and scripting tutorials would go a long way to helping moders out.

Thanks for the tutorial.
However...it doesn't work. There is no pop up initialising mods.
GOG here and did everything as mentioned in the video and what is common sense.
Doing mod stuff for decades already, so I'm not a full blown idiot. The launcher just doesn't do what it shall do.

So same issues like Menno555 here.

One of the deficiencies that I see is that a lot of people are really enthusiastic about creating different clothing, objects, guns, cars but do not have the skillset to do this from scratch. A large amount of mods that exist are item replacements but in many cases people would have preferred to add onto the existing game without replacing things. The amount of mods that I have see that add in new hair styles, tattoo's, clothes, weapon/car skins etc that sort of get lost as they replace other items in the game is great, but they get looked over as they replace the great work that CDPR has done.

It would be great if there was a template that existed that we could use to create new clothing/cars/guns/hair styles/tattoos etc and add them into the game without replace existing times, I am sure a lot of people would appreciate that and it would definitely accelerate the amount of smaller mods that are out there.
While I agree it would be cool if this was a natively supported feature, there's a mod called ArchiveXL that (I'm pretty sure) lets you create items that aren't replacers.

Can you guys please provide a syntax/grammar and some detailed documentation on your scripting language? It seems to be nearly identical to the redscript syntax, but some official language docs and scripting tutorials would go a long way to helping moders out.
Here is a checklist to make sure you are not doing anything wrong:
- [ ] Have the DLC installed and the game updated to 1.6
- [ ] Your mods folder has at least 1 mod
- [ ] You have enabled the mod support in the game's settings
If it still doesn't work please reachout to techical support here: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en...ue/2236/i-want-to-report-an-issue-with-redmod

I have wolvenkit and redmod. I have a serious question though, is there going to be any effort to make redmod work without having to deal with the secondary install? It would be nice, even convenient to have a single uniform integrated suite of tools to work with. For some, it may be off-putting or insecure to do the second install of wolvenkit.

Is there no way this could be implemented on console like Skyrim did.......
That is a discussion you should raise with Sony and Microsoft.
CDPR could most presumably support it, but it requires consent and collaboration from the console producers' side.
And it will most definately be a more restrictive version of what PC will have.
Take Fallout 4 as example.

We need some more videos. Explain a little how the contents are structured and how to add new ones. Show us how to modify a content or how to add a content. With what extra tools it would be good to work and how to make a mod work. Looking forward to new tutorials with great interest.

Top Bottom