What would Fix the game for you?

+
A lot of them seems to be completely unaware of what mercenary is even supposed to be since we keep hearing things like: I want to rob stores, mug NPCs, join gangs, build my own criminal empire, etc... :facepalm:
V is a lot closer to Geralt than GTA/Saints Row protagonists.
That's perfectly fine by me, I don't feel the need to do that stuff TBH. One of the reasons why Geralt, V, Aloy... are superior characters to, say, Bethesda ones

Looking at this I have a huge question

What's the point of one more gig at the end?

If you have completed everything then all you have are the endings. Once you see all those you can still do , one more gig

You have people on the forum saying CP77 is meant to be played beaten then restarted with a new character, if so then why the , "one more gig" option?

You can play this game once get the story and all the endings and it offers you, one more gig.

Why is this? If you have experienced everything the game should realize that and just end without that option

If you have completed everything then all you have are the endings. Once you see all those you can still do , one more gig

You have people on the forum saying CP77 is meant to be played beaten then restarted with a new character, if so then why the , "one more gig" option?

You can play this game once get the story and all the endings and it offers you, one more gig.

Why is this? If you have experienced everything the game should realize that and just end without that option
If you completed everything... none.
But if not, you can still complete the remaining quests/GIGs/whatever on the map (or try the weapons/items that you get during the ending).

Why are people going overboard in attempts to "rebut" my subjective opinion? Why has this become a huge derailment of the original topic of this thread?

This is your subjective interpretation of the lore. It's likely more in line with what CDPR intended when they released the game. Who cares? It's not relevant to me. It doesn't bring anything new to the table. If I agreed with everything CDPR did, I wouldn't be posting in this thread. My opinion is what it is, and I won't change it based on your "rebuttal". It feels far fetched to me, as does CDPR's presentation of this particular theme. It feels like a gaudy, hamfisted over-exaggeration - and that might be intentional, but it still feels trite and uncool to me.

Fair enough. No need to rebut it.

But the reason people have such strong opinions is the prevelance of cyberware and its use in oppressing the common man isn't from CDPR but a fact established in Mike Pondsmith's tabletop RPG game.

The reason so many people are bringing it up is it's like asking, "Why are elves so good in Tolkien?"

It's, "Because it's the way Tolkien wrote them."

A huge chunk of the player based rushed through the 15 hour main quest, assuming they'd have an aftergame.

When, in fact, they did not.

This was a compromise.

Last edited:
Here's a bit on cyberware.

1664721675079.png

I love this kind of world-building.

I disagree. The reasons you're coming up with feel contrived rather than a reasonable consequence. As I've already said earlier: there are cheaper non-invasive alternatives to cyberware. There is no reason why a waitress would cut of their own legs when they could use an exoskeleton relief at work instead. And yes, there is no reason to assume it wouldn't be a lot cheaper than cyberware, no matter how you look at it.

If we ignore that fact, and instead just look at cyberware solutions; an industrial grade type prosthetic made of massive steel would never be cheaper to a more subtle everyday prosthetic. Why? Because of supply and demand. Because of industrial grade requirements. Because mass produced consumer grade plastic is cheaper than industrial steel machinery.
If for some reason, someone still decided to go for the industrial-type cybernetic legs, despite having more reasonable alternatives, then that should be explained and part of the story. It should be a "special feature". It should be the noteworthy exception. It should not be something you have to come up with a reason for by your own volition. That is frankly just the same as coming up with excuses for inconsistencies that were put in the game by mistake. That is something I regard as a distraction that detracts from the game experience.
You are mixing prosthetic with cyberware (or cyberware prosthetic). Prosthetics has been around for a long time, from false teeth to limb replacements. False teeth function without being connected to our nervous system. Prosthetic limbs and there are many kinds and not all of them are visually similar to lost limbs, sometimes practicality over aesthetics is important matter. Still, outside of few prototypes, to replace all the lost functionality those should have also functionality of muscles and then all that would require connection to nervous system.

It's not form but functionality. For me they do not have industrial grade, but WV Beetle, because functionality is what they can afford, while V has top of the line Audi or Mercedes, with both, aesthetics / form and functionality.

In a game of a more fundamentally procedural nature, it would be ok. But CP2077 is not that kind of game.

What this ultimately comes down to is aesthetics and plausibility. I don't appreciate cyberware indiscriminately portrayed in every situation and every societal strata just for the sake of it. It feels overblown and it doesn't feel cool anymore. It makes me continuously ask myself, "why is this here?" when I encounter it in-game. When it becomes too much, it's not punk anymore, it's mainstream. It becomes too 'fantasy' for my own personal tastes.
Why should dystopia feel cool? How would that be portraying anything worthwhile instead of being just something superficial.

Why are people going overboard in attempts to "rebut" my subjective opinion? Why has this become a huge derailment of the original topic of this thread?
Well, you make statement that it went to game by a mistake, then it's again subjective opinion. Obviously I'm not supporting your opinion as it's counterproductive for me as what they have now works for me. However, it's also genuine interest if it's really something that could work towards better features, if feature doesn't work why doesn't it work? if it's something to do with premise of game, was that because some information was not available for player and such things.

This is your subjective interpretation of the lore. It's likely more in line with what CDPR intended when they released the game. Who cares? It's not relevant to me. It doesn't bring anything new to the table. If I agreed with everything CDPR did, I wouldn't be posting in this thread. My opinion is what it is, and I won't change it based on your "rebuttal". It feels far fetched to me, as does CDPR's presentation of this particular theme. It feels like a gaudy, hamfisted over-exaggeration - and that might be intentional, but it still feels trite and uncool to me.
All right. It's just that, if we take visual presentation via NPC's away, how would presentation then differ from GTA. That doesn't mean that you cannot have this opinion.

So, "not Cyberpunk 2077 the game about a violent edgerunner."

Not as rigidly as it is, no.

I also will sadly fight you over the VA that I find to be incredible from both actors.
Ok, I get where you're coming from, the point of roleplaying etc... but this game without female V's fantastic voice acting wouldn't be half as enjoyable, Cherami Leigh is such a delight I couldn't imagine the game without her. She's one of the strongest points of the whole game for me.
Maybe I could do without if I was playing male V, in the few snipplets I saw from him in videos I wasn't much affected by him but that might just be because I haven't played him myself and got so used to the female one.

I don’t really care whether the voiceacting is good or not (sure, it sounds professionally done). I just think it’s out of place in an RPG and limits what all could be done via dialog.

I'd argue a lot of people seemed unaware that you WERE a street mercenary since we kept getting so many posts saying, "I wanted to work for the corporations, not be a criminal!"
A lot of them seems to be completely unaware of what mercenary is even supposed to be since we keep hearing things like: I want to rob stores, mug NPCs, join gangs, build my own criminal empire, etc...
This contradiction is kind of what I mean. For the most part, players' expectations are left up to each person's interpretation of what a mercenary is. V "can" be a criminal if he wants to be; the nature of a merc is ethically ambiguous as are these broad choices many players wanted to make such as the desire to be purely a corpo person or to join a gang. A mercenary by definition can be both of these things or none of these things so long as he is being paid.

Also, I think it's not just V's Merc identity that resulted in unrealistic expectations. It's V's narrative long term desires married with the fact that V doesn't have a set backstory. It's simultaneously the coolest and most damning nature of Cyberpunk's narrative imo. V and you as the player have these long term desires that you can pick and choose depending on your interpretation of the story and lifepath you have chosen (I think it's cool that the lifepaths give a slightly different vibe to V's desires): "rise to the top", "Become a NC Legend", "Get a fair lot in life", and/or "Revenge/redemption". It's very open ended, and naturally sets itself up for more sandbox features. Geralt's narrative never pushed for anything this open-ended imo. It was never about "becoming the greatest warrior of the Kingdom", and it also helped a lot the fact that Geralt was already an established Legendary Witcher. The street kid lifepath is the most difficult one to justify because V aligns his goals with Jackie's quite well, to be a "Night City Legend"; and also I would argue that most players want to experience a "rising to the top" progression into becoming a NC Legend regardless of lifepath choice. Adam Smasher is a NC legend, but so is Weyland, Silverhand, and Victor Vector and those people are all so massively different from each other; not to mention Smasher and I think even Weyland was/is fully corpo (I think Corpo fans wanted to become "that guy", something like "the Militech Assassin NC Legend).

Guest 3847602

players wanted to make such as the desire to be purely a corpo person or to join a gang.
A mercenary by definition can be both of these things or none of these things so long as he is being paid.
No. By definition, mercenary is someone not tied to organization, be it a corporation or a gang.
Corpo V becomes mercenary after leaving Arasaka.
Nomad V becomes mercenary after leaving Bakkers.
Jackie became mercenary after leaving Valentinos.
Panam became mercenary after leaving Aldecaldos.
V and Panam stop being mercenaries if they join/rejoin Aldecaldos.
Geralt's narrative never pushed for anything this open-ended imo. It was never about "becoming the greatest warrior of the Kingdom", and it also helped a lot the fact that Geralt was already an established Legendary Witcher.
True, but, by the end of Cyberpunk's Act 1 it should be clear that "rise to the top" (thankfully!) isn't the story that CDPR was interested in telling. Which is why I always argued against the extension of Act 1 - V's ambition to rise to the top was used a generic premise to set up the situation they find themselves in at the beginning of Act 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. By definition, mercenary is someone not tied to organization, be it a corporation or a gang.
Corpo V becomes mercenary after leaving Arasaka.
Nomad V becomes mercenary after leaving Bakkers.
Jackie became mercenary after leaving Valentinos.
Panam became mercenary after leaving Aldecaldos.
V and Panam stops being mercenary if they join/rejoin Aldecaldos.
Wait a minute... V doesn't become a street kid ? o_O
Post automatically merged:

I don’t really care whether the voiceacting is good or not (sure, it sounds professionally done). I just think it’s out of place in an RPG and limits what all could be done via dialog.
To be honest, I'm mixed about that :)
I agree that a voiced character clearly limit the diversity and amount of different dialogues that you can have. But on the other hand, silenced character seem quite weird for me.
Currently, I play Kingdom Of Amalur, among others, and I have to say, between two cession of Cyberpunk, it feel very weird. My "girl" stay in front of the NPCs by saying nothing at all (like a "statue" with some few facial expressions... Feels like Mute, the movie). I can't imagine how it would be if we "silenced" all the Geralt dialogue lines in The Witcher 3.

So if I have to choose > "voiced" even if it's quite limited :)
(weirdly enough, it didn't bother me on Skyrim for example, maybe the first person view... or the quality of the dialogues^^)

Last edited:
I think 15 years after Mass Effect we just should get used to where modern RPGs are going - voiced protagonists. Sure, old school RPers might object, but then the whole style of game isn't for them, that's what Pathfinder etc. are aiming at - modern AAA RPGs just aren't "old school" RPGs anymore and you'll neither get unvoiced protagonists nor dice rolls back into these games. I absolutely love my old DnD games, I loved Fallout NV, but with modern AAA action RPGs I take it as a given that your character is voiced, I enjoy it, and I'm not feeling "betrayed" or anything - roll with it. It was clear right from the beginning that Cyberpunk wouldn't be "oldschool", neither was The Witcher, this isn't a broken promise or anything and shouldn't come as a surprise - the option would've been not to buy CP in the first place if voiced V is an issue.

That's why I said a Merc can either be both or none of them. Here are some dictionary definitions of a Mercenary:

1. working or acting merely for money or other reward; venal. hired to serve in a foreign army, guerrilla organization, etc. noun, plural mer·ce·nar·ies. a professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army. any hireling

2. (of a person or their behavior) primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.

3. a professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army.

A mercenary's job is open-ended and is up to the desires and interpretations of said mercenary. In this case the player (V), which is why people had overblown expectations for the game and desires for more sandbox options. Weyland is also an afterlife mercenary, but he is well known within the corpo world and has had affiliations with black ops teams used and owned by corporations.

Adam Smasher turned mercenary after being discharged from the Army and chose to climb up the ranks of Arasaka

Morgan Blackhand is a Mercenary as well but keeps his ties with Militech. This line is from his lore wiki under his biography: "Subsequently Morgan became a mercenary who took care of problems for the Militech corporation"

I'm just saying, I think it's fair for people to want features in Cyberpunk (2077 or otherwise future products from CDPR) that are a bit more player-choice friendly. It'd be cool to be able to join corporations if you want to, or a gang, or the NCPD, or run solo and do a mix of anything and everything. "join" is a strong word, let me rephrase. As a mercenary, I would like the option to be able to affiliate myself and have some sort of relations with these organizations. That is sort of what the spirit of being a Mercenary is, by definition. You choose your employer, pick your ethics, and deal with consequences as they come.

Last edited:
Adam Smasher turned mercenary after being discharged from the Army and chose to climb up the ranks of Arasaka

Morgan Blackhand is a Mercenary as well but keeps his ties with Militech. This line is from his lore wiki under his biography: "Subsequently Morgan became a mercenary who took care of problems for the Militech corporation"
Maybe I'm wrong, but the "mercs" that you quote, play in whole another category than V.
Morgan Blackhand, Smasher or Weyland, like V in the Path Of Glory, can choose for who they want to work, what they want to do and how to achieve it (in short, they can be picky and avoid fixers).
But V during the whole game (before the path of glory, at least), V is no one. V is a simple little merc among others. So he only have acces and can accept jobs that fixer offers. I really don't see V ring to Arasaka or Militech doors and say : Hey guys, you don't know me, but still, do you have jobs for me ?
A bit like a begginer actor, totally unknow who would want to directly work for the biggest studios.
If V was like Geralt, a well known/famous person, why not... But it's not the case :)

Maybe I'm wrong, but the "mercs" that you quote, play in whole another category than V.
Morgan Blackhand, Smasher or Weyland, like V in the Path Of Glory, can choose for who they want to work, what they want to do and how to achieve it (in short, they can be picky and avoid fixers).
But V during the whole game (before the path of glory, at least), V is no one. V is a simple little merc among others. So he only have acces and can accept jobs that fixer offers. I really don't see V ring to Arasaka or Militech doors and say : Hey guys, you don't know me, but still, do you have jobs for me ?
A bit like a begginer actor, totally unknow who would want to directly work for the biggest studios.
If V was like Geralt, a well known/famous person, why not... But it's not the case :)

To be fair, how it normally works is the corporations hire a Fixer who hires you because they want a layer of protection between them and the job.

Which goes to show you Faraday is a terrible Fixer as he doesn't understand the whole point is a layer of anonymity.

Just making the world feel more immersive and atmospheric. I mean if you did what i did and just kill as many people as possible in the NCPD scanner missions then everyone should know your name. hell isn’t that what street cred is for? There was only 2 missions where V was recognized that i found. one was just a really short encounter with two wannabes who immediately left after knowing I was V and the other one was an encounter with the Aldacados during some meeting transaction that was about to go wrong. and the only reason it didn’t was because you needed to pass a strength skill check. just wished street cred actually meant something except for attribute points. also all Night City felt like was California. i don’t know what kind of atmosphere i expected out of Cyber Punk but it was definitely something more sci-fi and dark. i laughed pretty hard when i found out Night City is placed in california.

Just making the world feel more immersive and atmospheric. I mean if you did what i did and just kill as many people as possible in the NCPD scanner missions then everyone should know your name. hell isn’t that what street cred is for? There was only 2 missions where V was recognized that i found. one was just a really short encounter with two wannabes who immediately left after knowing I was V and the other one was an encounter with the Aldacados during some meeting transaction that was about to go wrong. and the only reason it didn’t was because you needed to pass a strength skill check. just wished street cred actually meant something except for attribute points. also all Night City felt like was California. i don’t know what kind of atmosphere i expected out of Cyber Punk but it was definitely something more sci-fi and dark. i laughed pretty hard when i found out Night City is placed in california.
https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/8cw350 Well, the game has its history so the location seems logical...

I think 15 years after Mass Effect we just should get used to where modern RPGs are going - voiced protagonists. Sure, old school RPers might object, but then the whole style of game isn't for them, that's what Pathfinder etc. are aiming at - modern AAA RPGs just aren't "old school" RPGs anymore and you'll neither get unvoiced protagonists nor dice rolls back into these games. I absolutely love my old DnD games, I loved Fallout NV, but with modern AAA action RPGs I take it as a given that your character is voiced, I enjoy it, and I'm not feeling "betrayed" or anything - roll with it. It was clear right from the beginning that Cyberpunk wouldn't be "oldschool", neither was The Witcher, this isn't a broken promise or anything and shouldn't come as a surprise - the option would've been not to buy CP in the first place if voiced V is an issue.
Voiced protagonists are so much better, that way they feel like actual characters instead of a blank slate. I'll always prefer to lose cosmetic options if that means the character feels more real. In fact, I vastly prefer pre-established characters to custom ones

It would be awesome if there was a thread that fans could post ideas regarding expanding the lore and devs could have a conversation with those that seemed to have some good ideas

To be honest, I'm mixed about that :)
I agree that a voiced character clearly limit the diversity and amount of different dialogues that you can have. But on the other hand, silenced character seem quite weird for me.
Currently, I play Kingdom Of Amalur, among others, and I have to say, between two cession of Cyberpunk, it feel very weird. My "girl" stay in front of the NPCs by saying nothing at all (like a "statue" with some few facial expressions... Feels like Mute, the movie). I can't imagine how it would be if we "silenced" all the Geralt dialogue lines in The Witcher 3.

So if I have to choose > "voiced" even if it's quite limited :)
(weirdly enough, it didn't bother me on Skyrim for example, maybe the first person view... or the quality of the dialogues^^)

Yeah, I get that. The thing is, you shouldn’t do cinematic(tm) dialog sequences where the camera jumps around, if the character is silent.
Speaking of Bethesda since you mentioned Skyrim, Starfield - to my knowledge - will have a silent protagonist (whether that game has any… and I mean any other merits remains to be seen).

Top Bottom