CD PROJEKT Group Strategy Update: Long-term Product Outlook

+

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
orion.jpg

Orion is a codename for our next Cyberpunk game, which will take the Cyberpunk franchise further and continue harnessing the potential of this dark future universe.

polaris.jpg

Polaris is a codename for the next installment in The Witcher series of games, which we recently announced was in pre-production. It is the beginning of a new saga: we aim to release two more Witcher games after Polaris, creating a new AAA RPG trilogy.

canis_majoris.png

Canis Majoris is a full-fledged Witcher game, separate to the new Witcher saga starting with Polaris. It will be developed by an external studio headed by experienced developers who have worked on past Witcher games.

sirius.jpg

Sirius is a codename for the game developed by @molassesflood, set in The Witcher universe and created with support from CDPR. It will differ from our past productions, offering multiplayer gameplay on top of a single-player experience including a campaign with quests and a story.

hadar.jpg

Hadar is a codename for a third, entirely distinct IP, created from scratch within CDPR. The project is in the earliest stages of the creative process, which means we are not developing any game yet, but working exclusively on the foundation for this new setting.

Full Strategy Update video:

Last edited:
Orion is a codename for our next Cyberpunk game, which will take the Cyberpunk franchise further and continue harnessing the potential of this dark future universe.
:cool:
Hadar is a codename for a third, entirely distinct IP, created from scratch within CDPR. The project is in the earliest stages of the creative process, which means we are not developing any game yet, but working exclusively on the foundation for this new setting.
Very interesting !

I like the astronomy themed codenames!

Canis Majoris and Sirius have an obvious link to canines -- so, maybe there will be more about the School of the Wolf in the future.
Polaris, on the other hand, is part of the Ursa Minor constellation -- so, School of the Bear?

Hadar is also known as Beta Centauri, so its being an entirely new IP makes sense since I don't think centaurs exist even in the Witcher universe. This could hint towards the new IP being in the fantasy genre, though.

I'm probably completely wrong, but who cares. Not me, that's fur sure.

(Cyberpunk doesn't interest me, so I'm not analysing what the codename Orion could indicate.)

So am I correct in summarizing the above and the videos released on YouTube...

• A new Witcher trilogy - with a goal of releasing all three games within six years of the launch of the original (stated on the earnings call). All developed in house by CDPR.
  • Another major Witcher project headed by a studio with a lot of ex-CDPR/Witcher developers on it.
  • Another Witcher game made by Molasses Flood that will appeal to a 'broader audience' and include multiplayer aspects.
  • Cyberpunk sequel.
  • Brand new IP that is a ways away from development - simply in the planning stages.
  • Phantom Liberty basically confirmed to be the only CP2077 expansion.
  • CDPR planning to buy up more studios to produce things like mobile games.
  • CDPR to continue to develop TV shows, comics, board games, etc?

My guesses with the things announced above:

• CDPR will not be able to meet the six year goal to release all of those AAA Witcher games after the first. If they can do that - that would be pretty incredible. I am also wondering if this means that these games will not have expansions and that they will just jump directly into the next game? It seems like rather than building them from scratch - they are likely going to be using the same setting(s), characters, models, etc. rather than just rebuilding everything from the ground up every game.
  • No clue on what the 'other' Witcher project will be developed by the external studio. Could this potentially be the Rebel Wolves AAA game that they said would be the size of Blood and Wine?
  • I predict that the Molasses Flood game will be an ARPG along the lines of Diablo, Path of Exile, etc.
  • I think the Cyberpunk sequel has already begun pre-production and will be worked on alongside The Witcher trilogy.
  • I am guessing we will not see a game in this new IP until probably about 8-12 years from now.
  • Sad that Phantom Liberty is the only expansion - but I can deal knowing a sequel is going to get underway soon.
  • Exciting to hear they are buying up more studios and working with external studios. Let's hope that some of these games can be what New Vegas was to Fallout.
  • Will be super interesting to see how CDPR continues to work on shows, comics, etc. I hope they produce more of them as I think Edgerunners knocked it out of the park and The Witcher TV show is pretty mediocre.

Now that is something I was hoping to see announced. We all knew there would be more Witcher and more Cyberpunk but something straight out of CDPR is very interesting!

About damn time if you ask me! (I say this very positively)

I like the astronomy themed codenames!

Canis Majoris and Sirius have an obvious link to canines -- so, maybe there will be more about the School of the Wolf in the future.
Polaris, on the other hand, is part of the Ursa Minor constellation -- so, School of the Bear?

Hadar is also known as Beta Centauri, so its being an entirely new IP makes sense since I don't think centaurs exist even in the Witcher universe. This could hint towards the new IP being in the fantasy genre, though.

I'm probably completely wrong, but who cares. Not me, that's fur sure.

(Cyberpunk doesn't interest me, so I'm not analysing what the codename Orion could indicate.)
There's also the possibility that one of these might feature a non-Witcher protagonist, although it ain't likely. It would be interesting to see the world from the eyes of a Blue Stripes commando, a Scoia'Tael, or a Sorceress/Sorcerer
Post automatically merged:

Will be super interesting to see how CDPR continues to work on shows, comics, etc. I hope they produce more of them as I think Edgerunners knocked it out of the park and The Witcher TV show is pretty mediocre.
Edgerunners deserves more seasons, indeed. Netflix Witcher, on the other hand, does not (unless it's anime)

No dates or other expectations, but confirmation of a lot of speculation. Also some intrigue: 3 different Witcher projects in simultaneous development?

Thanks for the update.

Probably not games for me, even Orion, but perhaps I’ll lurk around at times to see what all these turns out to be.

You know, you really shouldn't announce all this stuff this early when half of it is gonna get cancelled/completely changed anyway. Also, i'm still salty about Cyberpunk's endings. :smart:

Right, like you can predict the future, Nostradamus.:facepalm:

No, it's a Cyberpunk sequel.

I really hope it stars V and is built around the Crystal Palace Heist.

They say sequel, but they don't mention if V returns.

I hope not, it would make me sad, really sad :sad:

Another easter eggs ? :giggle:
In Ridley Scott's film Blade Runner (released in 1982), replica Roy Batty played by Rutger Hauer mentions the constellation of Orion in his "tears in the rain" tirade.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion... I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate... All those moments will be lost in time, like... tears in rain. Time to die."

Last edited:
You know, you really shouldn't announce all this stuff this early when half of it is gonna get cancelled/completely changed anyway. Also, i'm still salty about Cyberpunk's endings. :smart:
It's a roadmap, things will get added and removed...that's expected. Gamers really need to learn what these things are.

It even says for Hadar that no game is currently in development, it's still early in the creative process. Ppl need to learn to interpret information correctly and not create false expectations for themselves.

• Will be super interesting to see how CDPR continues to work on shows, comics, etc. I hope they produce more of them as I think Edgerunners knocked it out of the park and The Witcher TV show is pretty mediocre.
Viewership determines mediocrity and so far the witcher live action series outperforms Edgerunners. I suggest getting out of the anime bubble, I say that as a huge anime fan. Fandom alone cannot bring in the necessary viewership to justify spending. The reality is Edgerunners is mediocre by comparison in terms of performance.

Last edited:
No, it's a Cyberpunk sequel.

Where did they mention it was a sequel? I didn't see that anywhere - but would be interested if it was verified.

Viewership determines mediocrity and so far the witcher live action series outperforms Edgerunners. I suggest getting out of the anime bubble, I say that as a huge anime fan. Fandom alone cannot bring in the necessary viewership to justify spending. The reality is Edgerunners is mediocre by comparison in terms of performance.

I actually don't like anime... I just watched Edgerunners and thought it was good. It is literally the only anime I have ever watched in my life...

And I think The Witcher show is decent, especially with Cavill as Geralt. I just don't think it is as high of quality as a lot of other CDPR storytelling. To me this seems like it is because the writing/creative process was outsourced. But that is also subjective. :)

Top Bottom