CD PROJEKT Group Strategy Update: Long-term Product Outlook

+
Viewership determines mediocrity and so far the witcher live action series outperforms Edgerunners. I suggest getting out of the anime bubble, I say that as a huge anime fan. Fandom alone cannot bring in the necessary viewership to justify spending. The reality is Edgerunners is mediocre by comparison in terms of peperformance.

You realize anime is niche audience compared to live action, right? Lol Viewership doesn't determine mediocrity, all it does is show how many people watched.

I actually don't like anime... I just watched Edgerunners and thought it was good. It is literally the only anime I have ever watched in my life...
Same, except I also saw Nightmare of The Wolf, which makes me think they should just drop the live-action show and do more anime. The Witcher seems to have much more potential in that medium IMHO

I like the astronomy themed codenames!

Canis Majoris and Sirius have an obvious link to canines -- so, maybe there will be more about the School of the Wolf in the future.
Polaris, on the other hand, is part of the Ursa Minor constellation -- so, School of the Bear?

Hadar is also known as Beta Centauri, so its being an entirely new IP makes sense since I don't think centaurs exist even in the Witcher universe. This could hint towards the new IP being in the fantasy genre, though.

I'm probably completely wrong, but who cares. Not me, that's fur sure.

(Cyberpunk doesn't interest me, so I'm not analysing what the codename Orion could indicate.)
I wondered the same on the wolf and the bear. Hadar were also evil mystic elves in forgotten realms so with my best creative no real info hat on could it be an inter stellar high fantasy?
Post automatically merged:

Same, except I also saw Nightmare of The Wolf, which makes me think they should just drop the live-action show and do more anime. The Witcher seems to have much more potential in that medium IMHO
I know quite a few people who aren't gamers that are really keen on the new witcher series so maybe they should do both?

Why?

They can't leave us hanging after those endings.
First, because I want a whole new story. And I'm sure, CDPR will create awesome new character(s) that we'll love as much as V (or as much as Judy in my case^^)
Second and mainly, because the Sun ending is my least favorite ending and by far... An ending that I'll never choose, so... NO! (My) V is not insane (or dumb) enough to make the same mistake again, i.e a stupid heist :D

I know quite a few people who aren't gamers that are really keen on the new witcher series so maybe they should do both?
As long as the live-action one made justice to the source material, but the way things stand right now... it just doesn't

As long as the live-action one made justice to the source material, but the way things stand right now... it just doesn't
Unfortunately that is the trend with many interpretations though, showrunners and writers aren't always competely true to the lore and take liberties with the time lines because they believe it improves the story or works better for the medium. Look at the new "Silmarillion" on amazon it competely destroys Tolkien's timeline and characters but tells a good story, same with "Ready Player One" Ernest Cline wrote the screenplay but had to essentially paraphrase his own novel to make it work on screen.

Wow,
I feel like CDPR has just shared their plans for like 20 years ahead :facepalm:
It's insane to reveal so much stuff so ahead of time...

And three new Witcher games from three separate studios - what is even going on?
Has the resignation of Marcin put stakeholders off a leash, and have they gone straight on a money-milking spree?

I am very confused o_O

Last edited:
No, it's a Cyberpunk sequel.

I really hope it stars V and is built around the Crystal Palace Heist.
Idk, maybe I got spoiled by playing GTA heists hundreds of times, but I trust that CDPR writers are more original than doing another story where you get to do more heists as a part of main story. Crystal Palace heist sounds great as a side quest line though. I expect main story to be something more unique, something as good and mysterious as Peralez side quest in 2077.

Where did they mention it was a sequel? I didn't see that anywhere - but would be interested if it was verified.
Post automatically merged:

I actually don't like anime... I just watched Edgerunners and thought it was good. It is literally the only anime I have ever watched in my life...

And I think The Witcher show is decent, especially with Cavill as Geralt. I just don't think it is as high of quality as a lot of other CDPR storytelling. To me this seems like it is because the writing/creative process was outsourced. But that is also subjective. :)
I'm not the biggest fan of the live action either but I like that they are doing something different. If it was the same as the game then I might as well just play the game.

I actually hate Yennefer in the game and books but I quite like the one in the TV show. She's probably my favorite character in the series. So you never know what you'll discover in adaptations.

Unfortunately that is the trend with many interpretations though, showrunners and writers aren't always competely true to the lore and take liberties with the time lines because they believe it improves the story or works better for the medium. Look at the new "Silmarillion" on amazon it competely destroys Tolkien's timeline and characters but tells a good story, same with "Ready Player One" Ernest Cline wrote the screenplay but had to essentially paraphrase his own novel to make it work on screen.
Ew Rings of Power, it is to House of the Dragon what Dragon Age is to The Witcher :coolstory:

You realize anime is niche audience compared to live action, right? Lol Viewership doesn't determine mediocrity, all it does is show how many people watched.
Tell that to Arcane. When an anime is successful it breaks through niche and attracts non fans alike.

My point was Anime fandom cannot sustain an IP alone so ppl suggesting they should do away with the witcher live action in favor of anime, or calling it mediocre despite high viewership aren't being realistic.

More ppl are likely to watch something if it's good or has wide appeal. If Edgerunner cannot pull in more than a niche audience then it's just ok at best. At least as far as performance goes. The live action Witcher performed better because it pulled in non fans as well. Edgerunner has not done that.

I'm not saying every anime needs to have wide appeal but even as a long time anime fan myself I wouldn't recommend Edgerunners to ppl I know.

Last edited:
I actually hate Yennefer in the game and books but I quite like the one in the TV show. She's probably my favorite character in the series. So you never know what you'll discover in adaptations.
Other way around for me, I can't get enough of game Yen :ohstopit:

Tell that to Arcane. When an anime is successful it breaks through niche and attracts non fans alike.

My point was Anime fandom cannot sustain an IP alone so ppl suggesting they should do away with the witcher live action in favor of anime, or calling it mediocre despite high viewership aren't being realistic.

More ppl are likely to watch something if it's good or has wide appeal. If Edgerunner cannot pull in more than a niche audience then it's just ok at best. The live action Witcher performed better because it pulled in non fans as well. Edgerunner has not done that.

Well no shit, because the Witcher show is live action. The same thing would've happened with Cyberpunk if it where live action.

Well no shit, because the Witcher show is live action. The same thing would've happened with Cyberpunk if it where live action.
CP2077 sure, Edgerunners no. That trope with the teenage protagonist and fanservice does not have wide appeal outside of the anime fandom.

More ppl are likely to watch something if it's good or has wide appeal. If Edgerunner cannot pull in more than a niche audience then it's just ok at best. At least as far as performance goes. The live action Witcher performed better because it pulled in non fans as well. Edgerunner has not done that.

I'm not saying every anime needs to have wide appeal but even as a long time anime fan myself I wouldn't recommend Edgerunners to ppl I know.
Arcane ain't anime though, it's Western animation, not the same style.

Mediocre is too nice a word to describe Netflix Witcher, that show is an insult to the books and games, made by people who do not understand them at all, nor want to

Weird, I thought that maybe they would do a CP2077 spin-off in lower budget isometric style . I guess that they didn´t have great sales of Thronebreaker/Rogue Mage (and I hope if they ever do an isometric spin-off it will not be with card mechanics).

First, because I want a whole new story. And I'm sure, CDPR will create awesome new character(s) that we'll love as much as V (or as much as Judy in my case^^)
Second and mainly, because the Sun ending is my least favorite ending and by far... An ending that I'll never choose, so... NO! (My) V is not insane (or dumb) enough to make the same mistake again, i.e a stupid heist :D

Well to each their own. I have no interest in the new Witcher trilogy since it won't star Geralt. I'm not interested in the setting, I'm interested in the characters.

I also feel like, again, it would be a betrayal of all the set up that was done and the fact they originally DID intended 2 expansions. If we're not getting that second expansion as the sequel, it pretty much kills a lot of my interest in the franchise.

Idk, maybe I got spoiled by playing GTA heists hundreds of times, but I trust that CDPR writers are more original than doing another story where you get to do more heists as a part of main story. Crystal Palace heist sounds great as a side quest line though. I expect main story to be something more unique, something as good and mysterious as Peralez side quest in 2077.

I feel like this kind of hits what I expect and want from cyberpunk. I don't want to ever play anyone other than an Edgerunner. Cyberpunk as a setting should be about playing professional criminals and Street Mercs. This should be the identity of the game franchise. As such, heists are something I expected and wanted from the game but we only really got to play one. I really hope the sequel increases the number of big heists we get to play because it feels like we barely scratched the surface of being criminals in Night City.

Wow,
I feel like CDPR has just shared their plans for like 20 years ahead :facepalm:
It's insane to reveal so much stuff so ahead of time...

And three new Witcher games from three separate studios - what is even going on?
Did the resignation of Marcin put stakeholders off a leash, and they went straight on a money-milking spree?

I am very confused o_O

I actually think it is pretty cool they are going to do three different games by three different studios.

CDPR - They will deliver the traditional Witcher/Cyberpunk experience. A massive AAA game that is story driven and in an open world.

Unknown Dev - Sounds like this will also be a AAA game based off of the same Unreal Engine tech they are developing. I think everyone can hope that it is to The Witcher what Fallout: New Vegas was to the Fallout franchise.

Molasses Flood - Based on what they are saying this is going to be a more mainstream, cartoony, upbeat type of thing. I imagine the animation and tone will be a bit more Thronebreaker than the traditional Witcher series - and something entirely different than what they normally do. Who knows if it will be good or not, but still cool to dive into The Witcher universe more.

I also feel like, again, it would be a betrayal of all the set up that was done and the fact they originally DID intended 2 expansions. If we're not getting that second expansion as the sequel, it pretty much kills a lot of my interest in the franchise.
Just my opinion, but Cyberpunk is a bit like Edgerunners certainly will be, a "one shot" story/season. A new season, a new story, new character(s). If it's the case, I'm sure I'll miss V and others characters, but I'm also sure they will create some great new ones. So it don't really bother me and I'm not worried :)

Top Bottom