1.07 FPS Decrease (Video)

+
1.07 FPS Decrease (Video)

Hey guys,

Found an awful bug in Novigrad with 1.07. Some areas cause massive FPS drops if you leave and re-enter them.

Check it out below, keep an eye on FPS in top right:

Really does seem that 1.07 has broken more things than it fixed...

With 1.06, my FPS in Novigrad never fell below 65.

Last edited:
I just tested this same thing, went to the same area, left, and returned to the same area and my fps was exactly the same.

Normal 5-7 fluctuations as I moved around, but no dramatic drop like in your video.

my specs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
i5-3570k @ 3.8ghz - GTX 980 G1 - 16GB RAM - Win 7 64bit

Do you have any utilities running, RTSS, GFX, and what driver version you running? I have 353.06

Driver Version: 353.30

Background programs: MSI Afterburner, Geforce Experience, Fraps

I've tried different video settings and turning off all of the above programs.

Also tried verifying game files; there was 1.1gb missing, but still this bug persists.

Are you complaining because of the fact that there's a technical issue with the patch or are you one of those people who think they can tell the difference between 80 and 60 fps? Spoiler alert: you can't.

Are you complaining because of the fact that there's a technical issue with the patch or are you one of those people who think they can tell the difference between 80 and 60 fps? Spoiler alert: you can't.

That's not the issue.

Whether he can see it or not doesn't matter in the longrun, the problem is why the drop.

OP, try uninstalling Experience and run the same test.

You're right, I cannot tell the difference between 80 fps and 60 fps, but thats because Im on a 60hz screen and use vsync.

HOWEVER. I can tell the difference between smooth 60 fps, and when it drops to 49 fps randomly. The difference is huge.

It clearly says in the video I choose my settings to have 80fps because I cannot deal with it when it drops below 60 and stutters, not because I can see over 60fps.

Oh, by the way people can see a difference between 60fps and higher, such as 120fps. Check out this video where Linus gets it right in a blind test 100% of the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2IF9ZPwgDM

really odd. :\ but you OC, so can't help you ;p hmm, no HT on 2500k. wonder what the impact of that is...

now i've begun to think/have this feeling that something in the animation system isn't paying well with that config. as soon as you pop menu, fps goes back up. fps should be unaffected, it isn't in my case when i pop menu. maybe extra 2 fps.

you know whatm could be fraps too, use the '-displayfps' commandline.

Oh, by the way people can see a difference between 60fps and higher, such as 120fps.

on the pixel level, no, you can only see about 30-60, depending on various factors. only in very specific laboratory tests, with simple objects, and not rendered images.

on the scene level, yes, with distant objects while traversing an arc with the camera. mainly bcs your eye interpolates movement based on residual images. in such a case, there are no residual images due to interpolated frames. there's just frame here, frame over there.

technically, less input lag too, which would reinforce that perception.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqmk_OwojF4

this video, appears as if the fps counter is delayed, and extended, NPC spawn thread locking issue. i don't think it's the same one as OP.

not to mention these recording apps add extra latency/framelag while recording, plus overlays can cause issues.

use '-displayfps' commandline instead. check if max frame time is hitting 66ms.

Last edited:
really odd. :\ but you OC, so can't help you ;p hmm, no HT on 2500k. wonder what the impact of that is...

now i've begun to think/have this feeling that something in the animation system isn't paying well with that config. as soon as you pop menu, fps goes back up. fps should be unaffected, it isn't in my case when i pop menu. maybe extra 2 fps..

My config ran this game with absolute ease and no issues before 1.07. Fraps has no impact on the bug. I dont play with fraps, but I noticed this bug before I turned it on for the video.

As for the menu, I think thats part of the bug. If I stand stationary after the FPS has dropped, it doesnt just sit there, it goes up and down and up all the time, from 45-65.

Last edited:
this video, appears as if the fps counter is delayed, and extended, NPC spawn thread locking issue. i don't think it's the same one as OP.

not to mention these recording apps add extra latency/framelag while recording, plus overlays can cause issues.

use '-displayfps' commandline instead. check if max frame time is hitting 66ms.

What do you talking about. I see fps dips without fps counter, game is very laged. I haven't had problems with 1.06. I finished game with 1.06. And no... recording software is not problem - it is shadow play. I have same result without recording too.

What do you talking about. I see fps dips without fps counter, game is very laged. I haven't had problems with 1.06. I finished game with 1.06. And no... recording software is not problem - it is shadow play. I have same result without recording too.

When turning the quality to 1080p 60fps, its so obvious that you get a big frame drop. Anyone who says people don't see a difference between 40-60fps is either semi-blind or lying.

You're right, I cannot tell the difference between 80 fps and 60 fps, but thats because Im on a 60hz screen and use vsync.

HOWEVER. I can tell the difference between smooth 60 fps, and when it drops to 49 fps randomly. The difference is huge.

It clearly says in the video I choose my settings to have 80fps because I cannot deal with it when it drops below 60 and stutters, not because I can see over 60fps.

Oh, by the way people can see a difference between 60fps and higher, such as 120fps. Check out this video where Linus gets it right in a blind test 100% of the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2IF9ZPwgDM

That's a test for hz, NOT fps only, two separate things (they are related in certain circumstances - as in this case when hz is tied to fps - but they AREN'T the same thing), and then it is a game he already played many times (hence screwing the testbed completely; I'm even amused they had the audacity to call it an objective test to begin with given the complete faulty starting test parameters).

Have Linus do the same test with a monitor fixed at 60hz and check if he can understand the difference between, say, a run at fixed 80fps and one at 120fps with a game he NEVER played before. Maybe he can if he knows the game pretty well in both testbeds (so as to memorize the difference in fluidity after a while but that's a complete bogus test as it has nothing to do with FPS eye recognition but more about pattern memorization) but there's no way he would be able to see any difference whatsoever with a game he never played with before in that same test. And no, this is NOT a matter of opinion (there are peer reviewed studies on the matter).

All the times I see these kind of topics I think to myself: what would happen if someone came in a thread and insisted that 2 + 2 is not equal 4?

Last edited:
That's a test for hz, NOT fps only, two separate things (they are related in certain circumstances - as in this case when hz is tied to fps - but they AREN'T the same thing), and then it is a game he already played many times (hence screwing the testbed completely; I'm even amused they had the audacity to call it an objective test to begin with given the complete faulty starting test parameters).

Have Linus do the same test with a monitor fixed at 60hz and check if he can understand the difference between, say, a run at fixed 80fps and one at 120fps with a game he NEVER played before. Maybe he can if he knows the game pretty well in both testbeds (so as to memorize the difference in fluidity after a while but that's a complete bogus test as it has nothing to do with FPS eye recognition but more about pattern memorization) but there's no way he would be able to see any difference whatsoever with a game he never played with before in that same test. And no, this is NOT a matter of opinion (there are peer reviewed studies on the matter).

All the times I see these kind of topics I think to myself: what would happen if someone came in a thread and insisted that 2 + 2 is not equal 4?

Ah Amioran... Ive seen you on many other threads just arguing with people for no reason, im not gunna be stupid enough to feed you, troll.

All I will say is, in that video Linus says himself that he can tell because he's used the system before and played the game a lot, so your comment is pointless.

This thread is about a bug in the game which drops FPS from 80 to 50 for no reason what so ever, not whether humans can notice difference in higher frames. Please stay on topic.

Last edited:
As for the menu, I think thats part of the bug. If I stand stationary after the FPS has dropped, it doesnt just sit there, it goes up and down and up all the time, from 45-65.

well, the menu is stopping the game engine from processing anything, including animations.

regardless, use -displayfps anyways, and disable all that stuff...

i'm not saying it's your fault, just that it may have something to do with lack of hyperthreading possibly, and some change in v1.07? (technically, cpu is min spec, with OC though, but if it's min spec i suppose stuff like this shouldn't occur, unless it's bottlenecked by that gpu, not sure... id have to disable my HT to get a better picture, check what cpu is doing at that point)

or something to do with OC, since some users claim removing OC helps with various issues, like FPS drops, in various patches.

or even corrupt game assets.

Last edited:
well, the menu is stopping the game engine from processing anything, including animations.

regardless, use -displayfps anyways, and disable all that stuff...

i'm not saying it's your fault, just that it may have something to do with lack of hyperthreading possibly, and some change in v1.07? (technically, cpu is min spec, with OC though, but if it's min spec i suppose stuff like this shouldn't occur, unless it's bottlenecked by that gpu, not sure... id have to disable my HT to get a better picture, check what cpu is doing at that point)

or something to do with OC, since some users claim removing OC helps with various issues, like FPS drops, in various patches.

or even corrupt game assets.

Thing is, if it was my config, why would the FPS be totally fine before I leave the area?

If I go to the bad fps area, save the game and load it, the FPS shoots all the way back up no problem. That proves that my PC is clearly capable of running the visuals of that area at well above 80 fps, but theres obviously a bug with the game that is eating resources when I return to the area after leaving it.

I do have a theory though; that particular area is the part of Novigrad where you can get into the sewer system. Its directly over where you clear the tunnels with the Doctor during Carnal Sins amongst others. Maybe the game is loading not only the world above ground, but also trying to load in the underground network as well and eating twice the resources?

Thing is, if it was my config, why would the FPS be totally fine before I leave the area?

If I go to the bad fps area, save the game and load it, the FPS shoots all the way back up no problem. That proves that my PC is clearly capable of running the visuals of that area at well above 80 fps, but theres obviously a bug with the game that is eating resources when I return to the area after leaving it.

I do have a theory though; that particular area is the part of Novigrad where you can get into the sewer system. Its directly over where you clear the tunnels with the Doctor during Carnal Sins amongst others. Maybe the game is loading not only the world above ground, but also trying to load in the underground network as well and eating twice the resources?

I am not pc savvy at all but a thought crossed my mind. A comment you have made here being "Maybe the game is loading not only the world above ground, but also trying to load in the underground network as well and eating twice the resources" made me think of the times I have lagged when running through an area and seeing red dots on the map of monsters in a cave underneath me. Just a thought.

If I go to the bad fps area, save the game and load it, the FPS shoots all the way back up no problem.

thing with OC is, sometimes it may fail on specific/random operations. leading to various unpredictable issue. never seen anything of this sort specifically.

that's possible (underground), although i don't have that issue, and i haven't seen anyone apart from you with it (the other video mentioned is questionable due to the fps monitor lag apparent in it).

Just got a totally inept reply from Customer Support which tells me what fps I can expect from a 970 at Ultra settings.

Totally ignored the video that shows what settings I use and the FPS I get, opting to just regurgitate the recommended systems specs instead.

Unbelievable..

same here

since this new patch I have 15 fps less everywhere

I knew it it would come
and I hate it

that happend also with enhanced version of assassins of kings

they ruined fps in game

patch 1.06 was much better

my rig:
Gtx 970 asus strix SLI
i7 4790k
benq gysnc monitor