1.21 Anti-Aliasing Not Working

+
1.21 Anti-Aliasing Not Working

Ever since I installed 1.21 and the Hearts Of Stone update and Blood & Wine anti-aliasing hasn't been working properly. Everything is way more jagged than it used to be. What's going on here? Was there a change to anti-aliasing or is something wrong here? I'm running windows 10 with Nvidia driver version 364.96.

I tried deleting the user.settings and user.settings.bak to no avail. This game used to look great but now it looks terrible. Was the AA method changed to have less impact but look worse? At the moment it's so bad I'd rather not play it, which is a real bummer considering Blood & Wine just came out.

It might be due to high TextureMipBias value adding high frequency details.

In user.settings try setting TextureMipBias= to something like -0.7 or -0.8 and see if that makes any difference.

It might be due to high TextureMipBias value adding high frequency details.

In user.settings try setting TextureMipBias= to something like -0.7 or -0.8 and see if that makes any difference.
I have mine set to -0.7, that's where I had it set to before the update and after. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game but the temporal aliasing is still really bad. Did they change the way AA works with the update or something?

I haven't faced any such issues, about the same about of jaggies as before so I don't know. And sometimes it's hard to tell.

Last edited:
Same here, although you can force it from Nvidia control panel, I've found that forcing anti-aliasing via Nvidia control panel makes the game run well, with even some improvement to texture quality

There have been a few reports about various driver issues with B&W. There could be some engine issues, too.

Before sending in a Support ticket, can you verify that the game settings did not return to defaults upon the update. Check your resolution setting, especially.

There also seems to be some confusion between AA and AF. AA is used to clean up jagged edges around 3D geometry. AF is the setting that affects how "crisp" textures look. Mip-mapping will add detail filtering to help textures maintain detail in the distance.

Latest driver version is:

WHQL
Version: 368.22 - Release Date: Mon May 23, 2016

Try reinstalling them, ideally removing old using Display Driver Uninstaller prior installing new ones or either make sure to tick option during install to reset to driver default values.

You can also check if you are not forcing any AA option through them in Global or Witcher 3 profile. You could try to reset that profiles to default NVIDIA values as well.

//
deusex4444: You are definitely speaking about Anisotropic filtering (AF) and not about Anti aliasing (AA) which is OP question.

Last edited:
Top Bottom