1.21 xbox one performance in bigger cities

+

iCake

Forum veteran
1.21 xbox one performance in bigger cities

Okay, I've just checked if the infamous frame-rate issues in bigger cities introduced with 1.10 patch were fixed in this brand new 1.21 that came no longer than 7 months since the bad performance was first noticed.

Anyway, the framerate issues are still there but some small improvements were made nonetheless. Although, I don't have any means to accurately count FPS and/or make a face-to-face comparison. However, it does feel smoother overall but still far from what we had in 1.08.

So I guess it's official, the issue will not be fixed ever., no chance of that. I thought I'd be furious but instead I feel overwhelming emptiness. I'm going to play B&W and then I'd most likely be done with this game for good.

Note to moderators: please, don't merge this with the xbox one performance research thread. I'm sure you will, but please don't. I'd really like this to be a seperate thread for better reference.

Note to moderators: please, don't merge this with the xbox one performance research thread. I'm sure you will, but please don't. I'd really like this to be a seperate thread for better reference.
Moderator: So long as comments here remain civil and reasonable, this new thread may remain independent.

iCake

Forum veteran
Just ran around a bit more and I've come to the conclusion that performance has degraded even more since the last patch. At least, FPS drops were almost exclusive to Novigrad and Oxenfurt on 1.10 till 1.12. Outside those locations the game ran smoothly. Now the drops are everywhere, Velen, Skellige, Novigrad, Oxenfurt, hell even White Orchad.

Last edited:
I advise you people, to make (as much as possible) support forms to CDPR for such a serious problem!

They definitely improved interior lightning a lot. No more extremely highlighted NPCs. Appears much more realistic now. Another major gripe I had with the game, interior water, was also reworked. It looks really nice now. I think they also changed the DoF outside of cutscenes.

iCake

Forum veteran
@mark5916

What's the point? I sent a lot of reports with examples of bad performance over the last 7 months. I think I made like 16 of those, even followed the guidelines posted in the first post of "xbox one performance research" thread to the latter, with footage and such. I even got a special screenshot saying thank you from the Witcher 3 development team for doing all that. What a joke it must have been for them as nothing has changed with the new patch in terms of performance, moreover it seems it's gone down a bit. I want to keep it civil, but it's hard, i hope I managed.

@GabrieI

Yes, Toussaint is laggy too, but I think not as much, but still annoying. Also the "motion blur" there seems to be very extreme, I turned it off immediately, never did it for the main game, because I found it just fine there.

I think an improvement of fps may only be possible by decreasing graphic quality. X1 seems to be on the edge with performance. When thinking of the last patches in my opinion effects have been added, graphic did improve etc and this had an effect on fps. Toussiant really looks amazing but needs a lot of X1 performance

iCake

Forum veteran
@RagnarNidhogg

Well, the devs did brag that better graphics in Toussaint didn't have any inpact on performance, because they apparantly made the red kit even better over the last months. Even so, I don't see any particular difference in graphics, say, between 1.08 (was almost always locked 30 fps anywhwere) and 1.10 (the problems started). Even so I'd easily take a worse graphics quality over shoddy performance the game has now,

performance in Oxenfurt are damn horrible when Geralt run, the game cant handle and after ten in ten seconds the game freezes for a moment, its unplayable for me there, hope next patch fix it :facepalm2:

Last edited:
So, i've been testing patch 1.22 on xbox and i think, maybe, the framerate has been improved.
It's certainly not a perfect locked 30, but i'm sure it's better than when i last played it running 1.21.
I just made a video, walking and running through areas of Novigrad in the rain. There are stutters here and there, but it does seem better.
Decide for yourself:
https://youtu.be/x3ZyMgKuTFI

Last edited:
I think the framerate has been improved too. The game also looks better in my opinion. It looks sharper and more crisp...especially in cut scenes,up close,and medium range. I was getting slight stutters in oxenfurt,but it was much smoother than before. In my opinion they have changed/improved something. I have also prefered the water since 1.21. I did however start a completely new game. Fresh start/install from scratch...no old saves in sight. So far the game has been smoother and better on the eye.

is my impression or the xbox one version is downgraded respect before?

i restart the title and i have some problem with illuminate system

other with this problem?

The last time i played this game, after the 1.22 patch, the framerate looked as bad as before. That's unfortunate. But there's nothing else to do. It's time for CDPR to move on to their next project and Witcher 3 will be left as it is now. But that's OK. I'm about to receive my PS4 this week, and even though that version is better than the Xbox One, i won't give it a try. Unless i can find an used copy really cheap to buy, even then i don't think it's worth my money and effort. Anyway, i think there's nothing left to do here on this forum. At least we tried as much as we could to help CDPR to fix this issues, even though they never did. Goodbye to everyone, and good luck to anyone willing to play this game and finish it.

However, have you contacted CDPR about that particular problem?
Have you got any answers?

On PS4 the performance on Novigrad is not solid either.
At least not if it rains, and it gets worse if you light up a torch whilst raining.

However The Witcher 3 is not only Novigrad and Oxenfurt,. The game has much more to offer...

Performance is lower on PC as well. It's likely something that was done to further optimize the engine. (Not all optimizations deal with increasing FPS.) Work is still ongoing!

Top Bottom