[1.3] air dodge jumping (Maneuvering System) is no more

+
I'm really down about this change. For reference, prior to 1.3 you could use Maneuvering System and timed jumps to move around like this:

It was one of the most fun things to do in the game for me and I posted at length about why mechanics like this add depth and creativity to the game. I compared them to bunnyhopping in Quake and kick glitching in Mirror's Edge - two unintended byproducts of movement in 2 different games that created a game within itself. If ID software decided to "fix" bunnyhopping, we wouldn't have Natural Selection or Tribes, or Titanfall or Arena Shooters as we know them now.

K-Hop was honestly the best unintentional bug | Forums - CD PROJEKT RED

That thread was aimed at Kerensikov jumping, another movement mechanic I feel should not have been removed. It makes movement engaging in and of itself and in a genre like Cyberpunk, nothing about it is out of place. This is a genre with Owaris and Santistevan nerve boosters, where people can move and react at inhuman speed.

Why do this?

Yeah i don't like the approach CDPR takes sometimes on these things. Like lowering the fortified ankles (or the other one, the charge jump one). For example I had seen that bug before but didn't like it so much for me; so I never even tried to do it; but if people enjoy what's the harm. As you say it's not off-setting. But I feel they try to steer the player too much into one way of interacting with the world, like trying to form a bulletproof way of playing the game. It's good to look out for consistency in the piece of work and it's there. But in this attempt to protect the game from being missused they are in fact lowering the pleasure some players have with the game.
I think thematically and on most levels outside open-world gameplay, the game is very consistent as a piece (not talking about technicalities). But these technicalities that require a lot of work are not these tweaks that players interested in use and those not, don't use.
I believe CDPR can be more confident with the work when it comes to these decisions.

Makes me sad to say it but I think the reason they are fixing stuff that is not what they intended in DEV is to prevent possible "exploits" for their mulit player version of the game. When it is single player things like this hurt no-one and allow creativity. But in multi player the game environment is more controlled, with a more ridged set of allowed mechanics.

An update:

PotatoofDoom is a god and restored movement to pre 1.3 with a CET script: Restore Kerenzikov Dodge and pre-1.3 movement at Cyberpunk 2077 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com)

The CET script portion of this mod re-enables bunnyhopping with Maneuvering System. Kerensikov Dodge is non functioning as of writing because of a new input system that doesn't accept WSAD inputs in time dilation state but he explains this in the comments section. His posts on the subject are very interesting. The sparknotes version is:

CDPR seems to have deliberately imposed a maximum ground and air velocity for everything using new tweakdb flags. Possibly to fix random acceleration bugs that get hyper memed on, like climbing through that window in Ghost Town and getting flung 2km backwards.

One corollary of this fix is that it kills all movement based gameplay forever. Upon transitioning from dodge to walk state your velocity will immediately be capped to max walk speed, killing your momentum in the process.

CDPR seems to have deliberately imposed a maximum ground and air velocity for everything using new tweakdb flags. Possibly to fix random acceleration bugs that get hyper memed on, like climbing through that window in Ghost Town and getting flung 2km backwards.
I don't know, but it could be also related to "die by falling from 1 meter" ?
In 75H+ on 1.3, I never die once by that, and I jump everywhere (trashbag, in the badlands,...)

I'm really down about this change. For reference, prior to 1.3 you could use Maneuvering System and timed jumps to move around like this:
[...]

Why do this?
Just wanted to say that your gameplay videos are amazing. I played and finished the game fair and square and am currently in a second run with a different build but I'm definitely going to be doing this in my next playthrough. It feels too amazing to not. I already backed up the install files in case they "fix" more of this stuff...

By the way, I don't know if people know but you can disable auto-updates in the GOG launcher for this game and then choose which version to install but the oldest version is 1.22 unfortunately so no going back to pre 1.20 ...

Top Bottom