1.5 likely to release in the "first months of 2022". Meaning probably Q1

+
...console optimisations also translate into PC optimisations. The only downside is that developers don't have to care for things like 64GiB of RAM or 24GiB of VRAM like the 3090 has.

That's somewhat my point, I'm pretty sure PC users would like to see some dedicated PC optimization that can take advantage of the superior hardware.
I'm nowhere near using a high end rig, but still potent enough to have some fun, unfortunately I'm still experiencing the occasional performance hiccup as GPU utilization drops below 70% and stays there for a little while. Pretty sure it's not an issue with the hardware though, being unable to reproduce this behavior in other games.
That's where dedicated PC optimization would come in handy, instead of whatever advantage or disadvantage the next gen update may or may not bring to the PC as a side effect.
Overall it seems like PC gets the lesser child treatment. The main focus seems to be on consoles, while PC gets affected in whatever way the console optimizations went.

Personally, I think the additional expansions you mentioned would rather consume more resources that could have gone towards anything PC related.

That being said I'm not really complaining about the PC version of the game, it's just that slowly but steadily every PC alternative gets optimized to the point where it starts to feel slightly unfair.

Ah ok, I get it now. I think the most significant amount of work is going into making RT work on current-gen consoles with an acceptable performance. The next-gen patch (1.5) will be a next-gen patch for consoles only; however there will be a 1.5 patch for PC as well, but we've already got that visual eye candy that is known as raytracing.

So, listening to the audio cast, it sounds like the next gen version will be a disc as well. If you don't have the ps4/Xbox one version.

Yea it might be a rerelease for new players. For consoles i guess. or it will be a patch or a new game added to your store. Like metro last exodus was. Nobody knows, yet.

So, listening to the audio cast, it sounds like the next gen version will be a disc as well. If you don't have the ps4/Xbox one version.
They said that they didn't decided yet what they want to do with physical copies of the game. They are still exploring options. They still have 4 months to decide.

They said that they didn't decided yet what they want to do with physical copies of the game. They are still exploring options. They still have 4 months to decide.

Won't they have to decide soon? I mean, the amount of physical copies they could need. I don't think they can turn out production of the disc's/box that fast.

Won't they have to decide soon? I mean, the amount of physical copies they could need. I don't think they can turn out production of the disc's/box that fast.
And if you decide to do it, what do you do with the current physical copies ? You throw them in the trash ?
In my opinion, continuing to sell the current physical copies and simply offer a free update via the stores for "next-gen" users seem to be the most "cheap" way to do it (and above all, they have to do it for all the users who have already buy the game).
I'm not really sure, but the game will probably stay "tagged" as "old-gen" game with a compatibility and optimization for "next-gen" console. :)

There are physical versions of AC Valhalla for both PS4 and PS5 and you can still update the PS4 version via the PS store. I don't think having two versions will be a problem and it's easier for new players to just install the completely patched Ps5 version instead of having to download a bunch of patches and then the next gen patch.

Surprising, I didn't paid attention because it's been more than 10 years that I didn't buy a physical copy of a game :)
But I look on Amazon
AC Valhalla have a different version on playstation, one for PS4 and one for PS5 (if you buy a PS5 version, I think there is no way to run it on PS4).
But on Xbox, there is only one version for both. Xbox one - Serie S/X compatibility.

It could for that reason that you have to go on the PS Store for downloading a PS5 upgrade.

I don't see the reason to discuss the matter of physical copies of the game. My point being: they are still thinking about what to do. There are pros and cons. Something obvious to us might not be so obvious to them and vice versa. It could be that the cost of bringing back all the boxes and changing the cover or swapping the disc is more expensive than scrapping the entire batch and printing new covers and new discs. You have to take into the account how physical business works and how many different nuances exists. What if all of a sudden some chinese company will offer CDPR 75% off on printing 10M boxes of the game? Or what if for some legal reasons under recycling and "stop global warming" laws it's actually more profitable to recall old boxes and repack the entire thing, because CDPR will get the money back from world governments?

We don't know any of this. Unless some of us here is an expert on physical distribution.

Releasing the game for base consoles with a plan of free next gen update, they had to be aware of this issue at least a year ago.
A company I used to work for had a similar issue with one of our products - a hard recall or a reprint were financial suicide. What we ended up doing was a soft recall - you set up a reseller contact chain, send them correction stickers and order them to paste over the critical hardware information, such as console version for example.
That worked well in the EU and the USA. For the other markets, we luckily had a 'info is subject to change, visit website x for more information' note printed on the product, so we set up the main page to explain the product change. We also contacted relevant local media to spread the news.

That being said it's hard to believe a company of CDPRs caliber doesn't have a solution for such an issue.

Edit: I forgot to mention the product was sold as outdated and was updated digitally

That's somewhat my point, I'm pretty sure PC users would like to see some dedicated PC optimization that can take advantage of the superior hardware.
I'm nowhere near using a high end rig, but still potent enough to have some fun, unfortunately I'm still experiencing the occasional performance hiccup as GPU utilization drops below 70% and stays there for a little while. Pretty sure it's not an issue with the hardware though, being unable to reproduce this behavior in other games.
That's where dedicated PC optimization would come in handy, instead of whatever advantage or disadvantage the next gen update may or may not bring to the PC as a side effect.
Overall it seems like PC gets the lesser child treatment. The main focus seems to be on consoles, while PC gets affected in whatever way the console optimizations went.

Personally, I think the additional expansions you mentioned would rather consume more resources that could have gone towards anything PC related.

That being said I'm not really complaining about the PC version of the game, it's just that slowly but steadily every PC alternative gets optimized to the point where it starts to feel slightly unfair.
You might like to try Display Driver Uninstaller. New GPU drivers install on top of the old one, which in turned installed on top of the one before, and so on. Using DDU and doing a clean driver install can correct GPU weirdness. Unless you're hitting 100% on your CPU when this happens?

In fairness, I think the console versions are getting the attention as they are the most broken. Also, they need an update to unlock some of the pretty graphics on the PS5 and Series X that PC players have had from the beginning.

We will still have ray tracing, GPU dependant, the consoles aren't getting that. I'm not sure what more improvements they could make, it's already a demanding game to run smoothly. It's already a pretty game on a powerful PC, I think bug fixes would be a better use of resources.

I have no preformance issues barely any bugs on pc. Even when the game launched I had barely anything, maybe a t-pose npc or a quest bug reload but not much else. What I want is something more than a free jacket for this game. Additional quests, locations, characters, a more interactive world. Why can't I sit down at the bar and actually see an animation of me having a drink? Plenty more things I'd like to see like this. The game is absolutely gorgeous to look at, and has a great foundation for what could be one of the best games of all time. I'm really scared to get my hopes up, I feel like they've mostly abandoned this game.

Meanwhile modders are going in and adding things with ease, things that we could have had by now.

Top Bottom