10 - 15 % less framerate since patch 1.04

+
Same here. Earlier today on 1.03 (and since launch) my 970 was getting a completely stable 60 fps in the market in Novigrad. It would drop to like 58 when I first loaded into the area but only for a split second. Now if I look around it's around 50-52 FPS, AND my temperatures are 5-10 degrees hotter. Is there anyway to roll back to 1.03???

With a new install of your game and manual updates, but I read somewhere that the saves are incompatible after that :/

---------- Updated at 01:34 PM ----------

Well heck.

I've edited my user.settings to remove the -1 mipmap bias (see the Geforce guide- it's been updated with new setting) and set it back to the 1.03 value of 0.

Gain: 3-4 fps. Lose: any improvements from mipmaps at -1, obviously. They seem to be negligible.

I'd also forced AF at high quality through the Nvidia Control Panel. I've now turned that off.

Gain: 4-5fps. Loss: haven't tested, but assume slightly muddier distant detail. Will see.

Combined effect: 60fps back, with no need to drop shadows to medium.

Shrug. Works for me for now.

Nice job :)
Have you found a tweak to fix the aliasing issue with this patch too?

Repost from a different thread about the same issue. Sorry, haven't noticed this one.

Same. Playing on ASUS G751-JY, specs:
- i7 4710HQ
- 24 GB DDR3
- GF980M 4GB
- Installed on a SSD.

Lost about 10-15 fps, depending on the time of day, location and weather conditions. On 1.03 I could play with everything on ultra (except hairworks off, shadow quality and draw distance set to high) and maintain 55-60 fps most of the time. 1.04 arrived and it started dropping down to 40/45 for no obvious reason, even after I've turned down the AO to SSAO and grass density to high. Annoying. I am actually considering a rollback to 1.03 but I wouldn't want to be stuck with bugs in order to preserve good performance further down the line so it's kinda pointless.

Well heck.

I've edited my user.settings to remove the -1 mipmap bias (see the Geforce guide- it's been updated with new setting) and set it back to the 1.03 value of 0.

Gain: 3-4 fps. Lose: any improvements from mipmaps at -1, obviously. They seem to be negligible.

I'd also forced AF at high quality through the Nvidia Control Panel. I've now turned that off.

Gain: 4-5fps. Loss: haven't tested, but assume slightly muddier distant detail. Will see.

Combined effect: 60fps back, with no need to drop shadows to medium.

Shrug. Works for me for now.

Thanks for your tips. I changed the mipmap bias to 1, then ingame I lowered sharpening to low and here's the bizarre one - put ambient occlusion down to ssao (got stuttering and lag) put it back up to HBAO and it became silky-smooth. Admittedly I've only tested these on open water, in a boat, and only a small island near the lighthouse at Novigrad.

EDIT - I remember testing in Novigrad city and was getting 30 ish fps. Before the changes I was getting as low as 20 near the central marketplace. Hard to think I spent £1,800 on a new pc last Christmas

I was able to achieve constant 50fps on high settings for 1.03 patch. Now I get stuttering in Novigrad after the 1.04 patch. Please fix this issue.

got lower fps, too now but not that much lower, about 2 %, but it felt way smoother before that patch. :/

ok i benchmarked the setting.

-2.0 all shimerring and pixels on the roofs and everywhere, not playable, - 6 % fps
-0.4 standard
0 +2 % fps
2 all blurry, not playable - +6 % fps

after setting it to 2 and back to 0, the entry was GONE in the user.settings file.

i don't know why, but it's not there anymore.

even starting the game again did not insert it again.

when i deleted the user.settings file and started the game up, it was created again, but WITHOUT that line !

unluckily the fps went down 25 % !! even with the exact same settings with the newly created file. watch out there!

so i grabbed my copy of the user.settings file (i always do backups before i change anything) from 1.04 without that line and inserted it again.

bam, got my 25 % fps back. seems they messed up something with newly created user.settings files in 1.04 !

i am running with -0.2 now. good compromise for me in 1280x720. bit sharper than before with 0 and not that edgy and pixels like with -0.4 and just 1% fps less.

are there any major fps hitters in the user.settings file like alpha 2 coverage or tesselation for geometry ? i gained massive fps in other games with these settings, and i really don't care if a stone has 20 edges or 8.

i run a notebook kepler GPU and have between 22 and 48 fps, depending where i am. would be nice to get a 30 fps lock somehow and not loose hbao+ or the postpro fx.

Last edited:
I did some tests with the mipmap bias after reading your post whiwh was really interesting, like you I prefer a value just under 0 to have a good compromize with detailed foliage (the negative settings increase the details), aliasing (higher values are better) and performance (better at higher value too)

---------- Updated at 10:21 PM ----------

when i deleted the user.settings file and started the game up, it was created again, but WITHOUT that line !

unluckily the fps went down 25 % !! even with the exact same settings with the newly created file. watch out there!

so i grabbed my copy of the user.settings file (i always do backups before i change anything) from 1.04 without that line and inserted it again.

bam, got my 25 % fps back. seems they messed up something with newly created user.settings files in 1.04 !

Did you report that to their tech support, it could be helpfull for everyone for the next patch?

Could you sent me your old backup to compare with the new please? I didn't do one.

Last edited:
Yes,and for me,i noticed that fps drop in same area before was 60 now is 52,when come dark it s roughly worse!!

btw evga gtx 980 sc,..crashing issues are now even worse!!!

Exact same issue here. Used to be a constant 60fps regardless of what I was doing (unless I zoomed into geralts hair) but now I get 55fps fighting wolves etc.

EDIT: EVGA GTX 980 SC as well

Last edited:
Hello everybody.
I recent purchase a G Sync monitor, the game runs smoothly amazing with 1.3 path (Ultra settings), but with 1.4 path the game shows a stutter image (50 FPS) :(

Nvidia GTX980, 16 GB DDR3 and i5@4GHz

Greetings.

Well I am running the game below minimum with 30 fps by tweaking the ini settings. If the performance is decreased and frame rates are dropping, I'm scared to apply the patch. I already worked hard to downgrade the game to get a decent performance. I will replay the game in super beautiful settings when I ever have enough money for a new computer, but for now I am playing with what I have. Money doesn't grow on trees unfortunately.

Guys. Ultra is now ACTUALLY ultra. So go to HIGH if your rig can't handle it. ULTRA should not be obtained by 'high' end machines. They are improving the quality of visuals. They will require more GPU power to reach ULTRA now... Everything that was 1.01 is no longer correct. Tests / benchmarks, they aren't the truth anymore.

The visuals are globaly improved I agree, but there's anyway much aliasing, flickering and incredible issues with pop in.
It's not a so good patch.

Sincerely the camera stutter in 1.04 kills me, i have stutter at 55 - 60 fps! I tryed all in low and still stutter...

Top Bottom