2 "long time" Bugs in Chippin in and Second Conflict (PC)

+
I am an older Lady and huge fan of the game, but encountered 2 bugs in my MANY replays which werent there at release, but are still present in 1.6 now. That being said all my gameplays in these patches were fresh from the start game files.

The first happens in Chippin in when u go with Rogue to Ebunike. I think it happens since the 1.3 patch where npcs aggro range seems to have been increased. That being said, Grayson gets aggro pretty much as soon as u get closer to the first containers on the ship preventing me from finding the corpse of the women in the shower and to listen to the audio recordings on the computer close to her. I did this quest before 1.3 just fine and always found that added info important for the mission. Now the instant combat trigger has Rogue go aggro which prevents her to be there for the chats and she also "downs" Grayson quite fast by herself which makes it impossible to trigger these 2 events in peace.

Later in the Second Conflict mission when Henry leaves the pool area and u can talk to Denny everything is fine till up to that point, but after that short chat with her and picking up her baseball bat, when u try to leave the house (either walking around the left side or right side of the house) the game just crashes clean to desktop. I am not sure exactly which patch this triggered, but its def there for me since the last few patches and the only way to get out of the house area without a crash is for me to jump over the truck which Henry used to ruin the pool and use it to climb over the fence in the back and leave the house that way.

Not sure how often these bugs might have been already been reported considering that a lot of players might not even know about the extra info on Ebunike which u can just get via sneak before combat triggers and i have no idea which thing causes my game to crash at Dennys house.

Best wishes and i hope u Guys can have a look into this.

I also have that issue of the groups aggroing so quickly I couldn’t discover two or three of the secrets that are supposed to be found in the crates. Stolen weapons, drugs, and a woman’s body, right? I can reach the stolen weapons without issue but not the other two. I suppose I’ll need to send in an error report as well, I thought it was practically intended in a horrible way.
Edit: Bookmarking this as a reminder of known bugs. I honestly had thought this was a sort of bug that was just something I would have to deal with, so it’s good to know it is a bug and I’m not the only one.

Last edited:
Yeah, the bug on the Ebunike is a "long time" bug and present on all platforms as far as I know (pretty annoying, clues are quite interesting and unavailable after) :(
I never encountered your issue during Second Conflict and I don't remember someone else who crashes "specifically" during this quest (I could be wrong). So specially about this one, I highly recommand to send a ticket to the support if you didn't ("Contact Us" button).

Tyvm for the answers and yeah i found a few posts on different platforms (reddit, steam) about the same Ebunike bug too... so its def a more widespread issue.
I did send a Bug report a few hours ago too to make sure CD Project Red gets a lil nudge about them.

The second conflict bug is super weird. Like i literally crash to desktop regardless if i try to go around the right side of the house or tru the open gate on the left side where Kerrys car is/was parked. The only way to prevent the crash is to jump over the truck and fence on the backside of the pool. I do wonder if its maybe one of my mods, but most of them are visual/cosmetic ones and not related to any of the characters present there. And its LITERALLY the only time the game nopes out on me and crashes at all. lol

The second conflict bug is super weird. Like i literally crash to desktop regardless if i try to go around the right side of the house or tru the open gate on the left side where Kerrys car is/was parked. The only way to prevent the crash is to jump over the truck and fence on the backside of the pool. I do wonder if its maybe one of my mods, but most of them are visual/cosmetic ones and not related to any of the characters present there. And its LITERALLY the only time the game nopes out on me and crashes at all. lol
If you encounter an issue than no one else never encountered, mods would be the first culprit, even if they don't seem to be "related" in any way. But the only way to be sure would be to try, but only after a clean install of the game and with a save on which no mod has ever been installed (in short, restarting a playthrough from the beginning 100% vanilla).

If you encounter an issue than no one else never encountered, mods would be the first culprit, even if they don't seem to be "related" in any way. But the only way to be sure would be to try, but only after a clean install of the game and with a save on which no mod has ever been installed (in short, restarting a playthrough from the beginning 100% vanilla).
Not sure if no one else ever encountered it, because i havent searched that long for that specific issue on the other possible platforms (i just keep finding a ton of post of bugs for other missions which i on the other hand never encountered myself). BUT to be honest, considering i can work around the bug by jumping over the truck its not THAT big of a deal. I kinda dont enjoy the vanilla game (after multiple vanilla playthroughs) enough to play tru the whole game again without any mods (considering this is a very late game quest) just to check if a fully clean save also has that ONE SINGLE crash. Mods just increase the enjoyment of the game for me now so much more. lol
Thank u for the suggestion tho, maybe i consider a full clean run when the big dlc drops. :)

I kinda dont enjoy the vanilla game (after multiple vanilla playthroughs) enough to play tru the whole game again without any mods (considering this is a very late game quest) just to check if a fully clean save also has that ONE SINGLE crash. Mods just increase the enjoyment of the game for me now so much more. lol
Thank u for the suggestion tho, maybe i consider a full clean run when the big dlc drops. :)
I suspected that :)
(and you found a workaround anyway^^).
In any case, I don't remember any post about "persistent and reproducible" crashes for this quest (i.e the game crashes no matter what you do, except if you jump above the truck). For example, in the previous update, the game will always crash during the endings (no matter which one) and several members/players posted it rather quickly (only few day after the update).
That's why I highly suspect mods (or a combination of mods)

When I personally reported the issues with Chippin' In two months ago, they said they're working on fixing it, so hopefully it will get fixed with the next major update. Currently there have been only these technical updates, so none addressed any bugs yet.

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We're working on this issue, thanks for the report!

But yes, the quest has several issues with its script triggers;
  • Johnny's dialogue marker just as V boards Ebunike is incredibly small and the game will despawn him if V takes a single step forward once the dialogue starts.
  • There are three dialogue interactions with V, Johnny and Rogue which are completely unobtainable because a bugged script trigger is starting combat prematurely if V passes a certain point of the ship. These interactions are the woman, the computer and the drugs.
  • When V asks Grayson "Where is Smasher", the game will awkwardly and abruptly take away the gun V is holding, but V should be holding it throughout the conversation since the choices soon after are "Draw The Gun/Holster The Gun".

I never experienced any guaranteed crashes during the follow-up quests though, so unfortunately can't help with that.

But yes, the quest has several issues with its script triggers;
  • Johnny's dialogue marker just as V boards Ebunike is incredibly small and the game will despawn him if V takes a single step forward once the dialogue starts.
  • There are three dialogue interactions with V, Johnny and Rogue which are completely unobtainable because a bugged script trigger is starting combat prematurely if V passes a certain point of the ship. These interactions are the woman, the computer and the drugs.
  • When V asks Grayson "Where is Smasher", the game will awkwardly and abruptly take away the gun V is holding, but V should be holding it throughout the conversation since the choices soon after are "Draw The Gun/Holster The Gun".

Yeah, thats def how i experience it too. It doesnt really halt the progress of the mission and i can imagine players which played/got the game after 1.3 dont even notice the issue because they never got the extra dialogue and always ended up in combat on the ship. (which might explain why its maybe currently not that much reported)

The crash in Second Conflict might be related to any of my mods i am using. Not sure which one and considering its my only crash and i can "work around" it after all i might just live with it. lol

Ouch. Please, send CDPR a report about this if you can.

Yeah i did. Hopefully they look into it. Its a bit concerning how many small bugs are STILL in the game like the floating cigarette in front of Vs bathroom mirror which never disappears and some other small things i didnt even bother to list as bug, but which i noticed in all my game playthroughs.

They essentially dont break the game in the sense that they break missions or halt their progress, but even all these small things are noticeable when u play the game a lot like me and enjoy taking pictures.

So, this is not to play a blame game, merely to reflect on what could've been done better. Also, a disclaimer that I never worked at CDPR so these reflections are based on my hypotheses of what is going on.

If I were to go back in time and retroactively tackle the broken stuff that keeps coming up through all the cracks, I'd invest in a more robust quest infrastructure that can also self-diagnose and flag when the quest playout might be broken. Say, a sanity test for this quest would be like "Can V trigger dialogues A, B, C?" Betcha that things in game get broken because changes in one place of the quest base generate unexpected changes in all kinds of places where CDPR doesn't expect them to. And so the work is never done as long as they cull the testing effort only to address the pieces they expect to have changed. One other thing is more of a fool-proofness of the tooling for quest creators. Dear goodness knows where that attack trigger distance is coming from. One possibility is that the quest creator borrowed a variable from another quest, which has meanwhile changed. Such stuff should not be possible without clearly declaring intention to do so through the tooling, which would keep the tooling and people aware that the two quests are entangled that way.

On the graphics side, RT and PT took CDPR off guard. The scenery had nice lighting already baked into the scenery before RT/PT appeared. Since CDPR haven't been tagging all those lighting fine tunes as they were adding them, now it must be pretty impractical to go back and add tags to all added effects, so they could be disabled to let RT/PT do their magic. Shame, but hopefully a lesson to all devs out there who are open to watch and learn from mistakes others make.

Last edited:
Totally agree with most if not all of ur points @MartineDee. The game looked amazing from the start for the most part already. Dont get me wrong its a great game, but after sooo many "vanilla" playthroughs its def the mods now which keep me playing.

That being said, with Phantom Liberty highly likely being the only big dlc (despite saying otherwise back in the day), i am a lil afraid they have given up on the game and move on. On one hand i'd love to not have to constantly update my mods (lol), but on the other i would also love to see a few more minor (and mayor) bug fixes and improvements.

Top Bottom