2 rows instead of 3. Homecoming. [POLL]

+

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest 4021160

CDPR mentioned they might consider removing 1 row (keeping 2 playable rows). Your thoughts?

I don't think anyone thinks removing a row from the game is a good idea. It was jarring though because in one breath the open letter spoke about making rows more important and bringing back preferred rows, then in the next breath it's "oh, but we might remove a row".

Doesn't make sense.

I think it's best just to let CD projekt Red run this game and their name into the ground. Sometimes developers just need to learn a lesson and CD projekt Red is about to learn it.

I would have to guess that if they planned to remove a row, they would have to change Hazards and other cards that affect rows. (I believe changing some aspects of the row effects might be a great idea anyway-)

I do like to see the card art, but luckily I can hover over it, or click it to bask in it's beautiful glory. (Though I sometimes get pinched on time if I'm looking at someone's sweet animated card.)

Raifin

Well it honestly depends on how they implement it. The game has always had three rows for each player to play on so I guess I understand why people want to keep them. I personally wants rows to have more meaning but maybe removing a whole row isn't such a good idea. I'm glad they're looking into this though, it seems that they really want to change things up.

It just doesn't make sense.
if the idea is to give the (some) cards row identity
And then turned around and just remove an entire row.

If the main reason is to see bigger cards on the board
No thanks.
as many have already said...when I drool over the cards art it's in deck builder or hover over in game ...thats good imo

At the moment I'd lean towards it being a bad idea but I wouldn't rule it out. Maybe it would massively improve the game. Maybe it wouldn't, they have six months to test. If after excessive testing and, importantly, community feedback it feels like a better game do it. Nothing can be taken in isolation with such a huge rework.

theogonist;n10813211 said:
In my opinion two rows with solid effects and good gameplay mechanics (future) are better than three rows that are completely dumb (now). Btw. its easier for devs too.

How about having 3 rows with solid effects and good gameplay? The reason why rows feel so meaningless isn't because three are too many, but because of bad design decisions in the past. In my opinion three rows allow much more opportunities than two. Furthermore 2 rows...that's just not gwent....would be a weird move considering this update is about 'homecoming'.

Wrong, it would be another mistake.

Every time they've removed or changed core features of the game, it's come back to bite them in the ass.
This is going to be a much bigger hassle than it appears to be. I was going to mention cards and archetypes that would be affected by this, then more and more kept coming to mind. Too many cards are designed and balanced around 3 rows, and this has been going on for an year and a half. Trying to redesign and re-balance all of them in 6 months will leave us with dead and broken ones, a la Gold Immunity. Besides, the trade-off isn't worth it: the cards might be bigger, yes, but they're going to be crammed on just two rows.

I'm skeptical about it, sure it CAN work with 2 rows however it would need some major reworks for cards with row effects, especially weather.
I'm still hoping they would stick to the 3 rows format, the battlefield is almost iconic at this point and considering siege machines are a significant part of the game having a siege row is also flavorful.

Just for clarification, they might be thinking of removing ONE row. And the latest post seems to indicate they treat hands as rows too. Which could mean that your opponent's hand could be gone. So one row removed, all board rows in place still.

Of course this would mess with the current iteration of NG Reveal, but after a rework, if it becomes all about revealing your cards, it could work. Not to mention that the enemy cards to reveal already simply pop up in another screen and it could work a bit like the Graveyard (click to view)

I'm very skeptical. With only two rows, cards like Skellige Storm, Lacerate and Blood Moon would be really strong. Besides, White Frost effectively becomes Korathi Heatwave. It's also a massive buff to cards like Iorveth: Meditation and Geralt: Igni.

Maybe it's doable, but it'll involve some massive rebalancing.

I made a lame Paint picture showing a 2 row board, and it does look much better.

Honestly, I prefer 2 rows with good identity, than 3 interchangeable rows. And the game looking good does matter, even if some of us might not personally care about it. I've been playing HS again this last couple of weeks, and the difference is drastic in UI and board design.

I like 3 rows, but if they are able to implement an interesting system that works a lot better with only rows, I have nothing against it. As that seems to be opinion of a lot of people here, I think it should be added to the poll as an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom