2 rows instead of 3. Homecoming. [POLL]

+

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before agility update the rows had no meaning other than locking units
I think yo had the disadvantage, if you build a deck with a heavy row, so you would pick other cards instead, just for more diversity to counter cards like lacerate. (and weather). The the placement update, where you could chose if you play left o right, could be a very strong implementation too, but they just dont developed it further.
For example if they want to balance Greatswords now, they could but the GS in one and the ships in another row, you need movement to get the combo. A 2 row Gwent would be very llimited for these kinds of balancing, because you only have 2 rows for separating. The moment another combo with one of these two cards rises, you cant go this way anymore.

IMO GOG should be seriously thinking of offering 2 separate Gwent Games
1: Deck A is a 2 rows game, so it can be played on small screens, be relatively easy, and fast.
A: Built to be fun yet also teasing one to become involved in the Master Game
2: The major Master Gwent Game contains Deck B with the Mission to be one for the ages
A: Costs $50 for XX cards for the beginning draw, (and then has a future evolving rewarded play, well worth it)
B: Stays with 3 rows as they were 1st used in the beginning days, with no rows all common
C: Caters to dark and nasty cards as is the Witcher Game World itself
D: The continuing development should be to create a game that has a hard learning curve requiring strategic thinking over luck of draw and unbalanced decks
E: The Game should have incresing depth and require intelligent effort to stay in the ranks over 15
F: Perhaps at a certain level(s) one moves to another place in a 'Witcher World' (refering to the Witcher Games, so levels would be a Gwent I, II, then III level, with additional cards available, each level needing a more applied comprehensive strategy arc.

@highhand

This does not only split up the fan-base, but also the manpower CDPR has to improve the game. As such, I fear we end up with two mediocre games no one was waiting for, instead of one solid game, that might not be the Gwent people had hoped for, but is at least a fun and balanced game in its own right.

I'm all for them keeping an original game mode. They add and remove game modes easily enough. Even with a dwindling player case I've never had to wait for than 10 seconds to play. They just pretty much confirmed 2 bronze as well with burzas interview today. These are changes that makes Gwent something else entirely. Would be nice to see original Gwent. Cdpr can then sell kegs for 2 row 2 card witcher card game

I'm all for them keeping an original game mode. They add and remove game modes easily enough. Even with a dwindling player case I've never had to wait for than 10 seconds to play. They just pretty much confirmed 2 bronze as well with burzas interview today. These are changes that makes Gwent something else entirely. Would be nice to see original Gwent. Cdpr can then sell kegs for 2 row 2 card witcher card game
There is simply not enough time and resources to mantain two versions of the game. And it's pretty obvious which one get support and attention.

At that point if you are hit by nostalgia so hard you may as well play W3 gwent.

After seeing the homecoming video I feel vindicated that going to two rows was a good idea. It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. I love that rows are going to matter. I also love that the cards are bigger so I can see the amazing animations more clearly.

Are they? I didn't really recognized any significant difference. And after seeing some of the cardeffects, i dont know why 2 rows are better, you could do this with 3 rows as well.

The cards definitely look bigger and that is because they have more room from removing a row. How could the cards be bigger without removing a row?

The cards definitely look bigger and that is because they have more room from removing a row. How could the cards be bigger without removing a row?
I didt saw any significant difference, i only recognised it, because it was mentioned here. Maybe in a direct comparison. But the game definitely dont gain anything from it at long you are playing at a PC.

I like what they did with two rows so far, but from the shown information I don't really see yet, why it wouldn't have been possible with 3 rows, too. It probably depends on the number of cards that have row dependant abilities and how complex it therefore becomes, but we haven't seen much of that yet.

From the card abilities i still dont see a reason for two rows.

Maybe next leak. Need more gameplay before i can judge, but im not very confident.

Removing 3rd row at it is, is really bad. But people needs to understand they are overhauling the whole game, lowering value of bronze card, removing silvers, etc. I reserve all judgement after I play it.

Removing 3rd row at it is, is really bad. But people needs to understand they are overhauling the whole game, lowering value of bronze card, removing silvers, etc. I reserve all judgement after I play it.
Did you saw any changes so far that would be benefitting 2 rows ?

Still you can get an ideia what it will be. You have card descriptions already.
They seem pretty generic, but it could be an earlier phase.

Im cautiously optimistic...

Considering new "Reach" mechanic and "Row placement matter" abilities which they show I guess 2 rows is fine now.
With 3 it will really complicated to balance. All concern which is left to me is that in The Wither game was 3 rows, but I'm ok with it if it will be balanced and enjoying.

Less variables should make the game easier to balance. With two rows, it's almost a completely different game. Imagine all of those row swapping cards, weather, and so on that will be very different. After the other major change to the game's art, I can't imagine them throwing a third lane back in and going for another full re-balance after this.

Considering new "Reach" mechanic and "Row placement matter" abilities which they show I guess 2 rows is fine now.
With 3 it will really complicated to balance. All concern which is left to me is that in The Wither game was 3 rows, but I'm ok with it if it will be balanced and enjoying.

Reach would work better with 3 rows though.

Maybe they'l change it to be a square area or somethin more interesting. Well see.

CDPR mentioned they might consider removing 1 row (keeping 2 playable rows). Your thoughts?

you know what this reminds me? not a long time ago (i think it was in the 80's) coca cola decided to create "the new coke" it was a new coke with more suggar in it... seems ok right? well, it would be, have they not take the old coke out of the market... everyone went insane, because htey just said "you know what? we are taking the old coke out of the market, we dont even care, you will only have the new coke now, deal with it"

here is the deal... they wanted to make an option with only 2 rolls? fine... be my guest... but dont take away THE OLD GAME THAT WE ACCTULY LIKE, AND THAT IS THE REASON I DOWNLOADED THE FREAKING GAME

i dont want to play this new gwent, i dont like it, i played it for a day and said "argh, they changed everything" and i didnt play anymore... now it is there in my desktop, with no use, because i dont want to play this new booring gwent, i want the old one, the one with 3 rolls, that each roll had it own kinds of units that were designed only for that row...

so, if they wanted to change the game, they should put in the opening screen something like "play gwent homecoming/plat the gwent that is acctuly good and not this new booring version that we made"

than, players could choose, some could play the new version, and others who acctuly wanna play the real game, that is the reason we download the game in the first place, can play the one that is acctuly good.
but it is the new coke all over again... i hope they comeback with the old gwent, because im not playing this new one... and i wont open that game till they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom