20 million copies sold

+
EN_1200x628.png

Over 20 million cyberpunks have been roaming the streets of Night City – partying with Jackie and getting to know Johnny, driving around with Panam and diving with Judy, hanging out with River and listening to Kerry’s songs.

Thank you and we hope to see you all in the Afterlife!

I don't get why y'all are turning this thread into such an argument and why comparing to other game's sales matters at all really. Some games are more popular, some are less.

Out of thousand upon thousands of games, CP2077 is just shy of being one of the top 50 best selling games in history. Even if it wasn't even in the top 100, 20 million copies is nothing to scoff at. It's something that most studios never achieve.

You just wondered why people are comparing Cyberpunk 2077 to other games, then in the very next paragraph you compare it to the other game sales. That seems odd. People are doing that because it is a good measuring stick for success and someone said it should have sold 100 million units by now - when no game ever regardless of genre has done that. Comparing Cyberpunk to games like Witcher 3, RDR2, GTAV, the open world Assassin's Creed games, etc. is a good indicator of overall popularity and expectation.

Other than that I agree with your overall point.

You just wondered why people are comparing Cyberpunk 2077 to other games, then in the very next paragraph you compare it to the other game sales. That seems odd. People are doing that because it is a good measuring stick for success and someone said it should have sold 100 million units by now - when no game ever regardless of genre has done that. Comparing Cyberpunk to games like Witcher 3, RDR2, GTAV, the open world Assassin's Creed games, etc. is a good indicator of overall popularity and expectation.

Other than that I agree with your overall point.

You're missing the point entirely and interpreting my post in the wrong way.

Allow me to clarify.

I do not care one bit about how it compares to other games sales. It's as if I climbed the Everest. Only about 5,000 people have managed to do that. Saying "look, I'm now part of this very short (relatively speaking) list of people who climbed the Everest" isn't comparing myself to them. It's celebrating my achievement. An achievement very few can boast of. It's something to be celebrated, not something to look at and go "well he didn't climb it as fast as Pemba Dorje Sherpa, so he sucks/could've done better".

The whole point of this thread is to be a celebration of an achievement, one which is not reduced by how other games are doing. Making it to 20 million copies sold is an incredible proof of success, it really doesn't matter how other games are doing - CP2077 is doing great and has been highly profitable.

I don't get why y'all are turning this thread into such an argument and why comparing to other game's sales matters at all really. Some games are more popular, some are less.
I just speaking for me (and from what I understood, it's also the case for most of other posts), all the comparisons that I posted was rather ironic and to point out that it made no sense to compare the sales of TW3 and Cyberpunk. In the same way as it make no sense to compare GTA and RDR2 or Skyrim and Fallout ;)

Last edited:
The whole point of this thread is to be a celebration of an achievement, one which is not reduced by how other games are doing. Making it to 20 million copies sold is an incredible proof of success, it really doesn't matter how other games are doing - CP2077 is doing great and has been highly profitable.

It's something that isn't really worth arguing. So I will end with this and then bow out. The reason we know celebrating 20 million sales is worth it is because:

1. It shows the game is profitable.
2. One of the reasons we know it shows the game is profitable and how it is doing is to compare it to other similar titles in terms of scope, budget, etc.

Which is to say... CDPR and the games they make are direct competitors to studios and games like Rockstar (GTA, RDR), Bethesda (ES, FO, Starfield) and Ubisoft (AC). Cyberpunk surpassing something like Fallout 4 by millions of sales is a big deal because it gives us an idea of just how popular the game is... because Fallout 4 is recognized as a wildly popular, successful and beloved game. So when Cyberpunk smashes the sales of that game it gives people a good idea of just how successful it really is. A lot of people consider The Witcher 3 the best game ever, so if it eventually passes the sales of that game it shows just how incredible Cyberpunk is doing. So on, so on.

I will also note no one brought this up until someone made the repeated claim that Cyberpunk ought to have already sold a HUNDRED MILLION copies. Which is to say - people were explaining to someone why that is an outrageous claim and that 20 million is worthy of celebration and acknowledgement rather than something to be critical about. It was essentially someone saying...

"Baseball player X is amazing! He hit 100 home runs in his first two years in the league!"
"Well - if player X was really as great as people said he would have hit 450 home runs in his first two years in the league. After all player Y has hit 450 home runs!"
"Yes... but player Y has been playing major league baseball for fifteen years - that isn't really a fair comparison."

Ultimately it is beneficial to compare the sales of a game against its direct competitors in order to get a sense of how successful (or unsuccessful) a game/studio has been. I don't see why that is problematic. Nor do I see how that detracts from the accomplishment. In fact I didn't know a lot of the data that was posted and it actually gave me a good picture of just how successful Cyberpunk 2077 has been. :)

This is great to see, I loved this game even when it was a bit rough on my One X back at launch. It’s come a long way since then. Hope management reconsider and green lights expansion 2. There’s clearly a lot of interest still in this game. I’m gonna purchase Phantom Liberty on pc and Series X.

2. One of the reasons we know it shows the game is profitable and how it is doing is to compare it to other similar titles in terms of scope, budget, etc.

We know the game's budget. We know how many pre-orders there were. We also know that those pre-orders alone were enough to recoup all of their budget. That's enough to know the game is profitable. It's out of the red. It's all profit from that point on. It is, by definition, profitable. There is no need to compare to other games to know that.

Then there were another 12 million copies sold. The game is already profitable with 8 million copies sold. It sold another 12 million (and it ain't over!). It really doesn't matter how other games are faring. All that matters is how CP2077 is fairing. A game that doesn't recoup it's own budget is an automatic failure, even if it sold 200 million copies and outsold every game out there. Whether you compare it to every other single game out there or not, it's irrelevant.

There is absolutely no need to look at any other game to come to the conclusion that CP2077 is a very profitable game.

Anyway, you are right that this is a pointless argument. People are free to go about their business and compare it to GTA all they want.

I just speaking for me (and from what I understood, it's also the case for most of other posts), all the comparisons that I posted was rather ironic and to point out that it made no sense to compare the sales of TW3 and Cyberpunk. In the same way as it make no sense to compare GTA and RDR2 or Skyrim and Fallout ;)

I'm inclined to believe you don't intend it to be argumentative but I'm not so convinced about "most of the other posts". It's something that just comes back too often for me to believe most people aren't actually trying to argue it matters or not.

Congratulations CDPR.

You stuck around and fixed the game against all odds and the naysayers. I had some doubts early on too. Few studios stick around for long after such a rough launch but you guys did and you put up with a lot of crap since release but your hard work and dedication is paying off.

It's well deserved.
Not sure they had any alternative but to stick around and fix the game.

That being said, 20M copies is a really good number for this type of game. Also, I think it has the potential to continue selling pretty well, now that it's in good shape, and with a framework that will allow for significant new mods. It'll likely never hit TW3 numbers, but it has a chance to get within range of Skyrim, which is pretty phenomenal. So, congrats to CDPR. Put the funds to good use in developing a great TW4 game.

Not sure they had any alternative but to stick around and fix the game.

Oh they sure did. It's not like it hasn't happened plenty of times before. Even with brand new IPs.

It's a single player game that was already lucrative on day 1. They could've given us some token patches to get things working juuuuust enough and moved on. It would have hurt their reputation a lot no doubt but gamers have a tendency to forget all that once the hype gets going.

Sure, we won't get the amount of post launch content most of us thought/hoped we'd get but I'd still argue they did well by us.

Of course, plenty would say otherwise but to each his own opinion.

the 20 Millions copys sell , its good for all players
1) its a proof even if a game was on disaster state at launch , if dev team / editor want to support the game and rectify their error they can do , player mostly always forgive errors when they saw dev team make "amend" / or apology and working to make the game better .
hope some other editor saw that and follow CDPR guide line :)

2) When a game reach over 10 or 20 Millions copy , it make the game as "standart" / refence for the industry
what works or not to make the game succefull

3) More copy , means more player , more money for dev team to support the game for long term
its a win win ^^

Top Bottom