2022 Roadmap announcement

+

The dust almost settled after the last week's GWENT World Masters, where we first announced our 2022 roadmap.

But no worries if you missed it! Here is a recap of everything we have in store for the next year.
Card Releases
We plan to continue the release model we introduced this year, with the smaller card drops coupled with major balance changes to the existing cards.

For 2022 there are four of them planned in:
  • April
  • July
  • October
  • December
Journeys

We have heard your requests to bring back some of the past Journeys, so we decided to do exactly that!

After the current Journey ends, we will be introducing a brand new one (look out for announcements), and following that, the previous Journeys will get their returns:
  • May: Geralt and Ciri
  • August: Alzur, Yen and Triss
  • November: Aretuza, Regis and the not yet revealed one
Official Tournaments
The tournament scene next year is going to look quite similar to 2021, though we decided to hold only three Open tournaments, in:
  • April
  • July
  • October
World Masters is staying as it was, as the grand finale of the year in December.

You can see the full recap of the 9.6 and Road map in the Developer Update below.

I wonder how exactly old Journeys returning will work, since multiple one return at the same time. Does every won round progress both/all that you've not finished?

I guess I'll find out in May at the latest. Didn't grind Ciri's to 175 and didn't even unlock Geralt's premium path, so I'd have plenty do with those.
Triss's I still won't have any interest in. :p

Edit: Oh, it was stated in the video that you'll be able to progress one at a time. Makes sense.

I wonder how exactly old Journeys returning will work, since multiple one return at the same time. Does every won round progress both/all that you've not finished?

I guess I'll find out in May at the latest. Didn't grind Ciri's to 175 and didn't even unlock Geralt's premium path, so I'd have plenty do with those.
Triss's I still won't have any interest in. :p
I hope progress will pick up from where we left off as if not, repeating the journeys loses all interest for me...
IMG_20211208_153401.jpg

IMG_20211208_153028.jpg

About the Card releases.
IMG_20211208_153116.jpg

That is rather disappointing. So just one more Journey and then no new Progression content for the rest of 2022...is this the end of active Gwent development? Finish and bring back old Journeys for new players, polish few archetypes in few new releases to fill in missing gaps and one more esports season with better 50/50 split and its EOL support in 2023?

I certainly hope not, but that is the feeling I get from this lack of new content; that combined with no seasonal content in whole of 2021, and probably 2022 will see no seasonal trees again. Faction challenges have been scrapped for over a year and the promisses of a better system have still not materialized, draft mode is...well who knows whats with it might as well not be there...need I go on?

I hope I am wrong with all this and there is lot more to look forward to, but I really wish some of the new content was focused on veteran players that have tons of resources and no cosmetics or other items to spend them on. This makes it all a bit pointless if you enjoy the progression aspect of games and the ability to unlock ever cooler content through that progress. As it is now with Gwent there is nothing exiting to unlock or play for, so you just play a few games because you like the gameplay, but it could be so much better if there was some real progression for veteran players that have maxed out their collection and have nothing more to unlock or spend resources on.

I won't lie, I'm a little disappointed. I can imagine that coming up with new stuff is hard considering the fact that there are limits to the Witcher universe concerning characters and stuff about them. That's why I imagine it's hard to bring out new journeys and other content.

It would be nice to bring the faction challenges back and to have new seasonal trees. Also I find it weird for the new journey to be released twice in one year.

Hmm. General disappointment does rather appear to be the order of the day. (Still no Golden Nekker on the near horizon, what? Ah, well.) However, on the bright side, it is nice to see that players will have another chance at the Journeys, as I know folk have been requesting this. Jolly good luck on the Path!

Qzman

Forum regular
Thanks, @OneWhoCravesSouls!
First time the roadmap overview appeared a few days ago I understood there will be at least one "full size" expansion next year, whatever that even means nowadays. But the way it's said here seems more like the same, incredibly low amount of new content that we've had this year, or even less. Melitele give us all strength for 2022...

Thanks, @OneWhoCravesSouls!
First time the roadmap overview appeared a few days ago I understood there will be at least one "full size" expansion next year, whatever that even means nowadays. But the way it's said here seems more like the same, incredibly low amount of new content that we've had this year, or even less. Melitele give us all strength for 2022...
I thought so too when watching the Roadmap, but now it looks more like we get one big expansion splitted over the entire Year, i mean if the balance Patches and old Cards reworks are meaningful I can actually live with that although their balancing in the past along with not even offering fresh Journey content after May doesn't exactly sound very promising.

The July drop is to be like the Price of Power drop was. The others are smaller in combination with more reworks of older cards. I think new archetypes are in the full (July) drop as well, whereas the others are to focus primarily on existing archetypes.

Qzman

Forum regular
I thought so too when watching the Roadmap, but now it looks more like we get one big expansion splitted over the entire Year, i mean if the balance Patches and old Cards reworks are meaningful I can actually live with that although their balancing in the past along with not even offering fresh Journey content after May doesn't exactly sound very promising.
Yep. Although unlike most people I actually am not a huge fan of constant Journey grind and having to play the current hero for quests, and they can still make up for those lost resources and vanities via bundles for instance... Let's just hope the balance changes are meaningful. New cards would be amazing but with constant powercreep the bottom 80% will keep not seeing any play, it might even be more prudent to fix those now.

I am personally happy to see the Journeys coming back. I never made it through Geralt, was about 145 in Ciri's, Finished most of Alzur, completely missed Yennifers and finished most of Triss.

Qzman

Forum regular
The July drop is to be like the Price of Power drop was. The others are smaller in combination with more reworks of older cards. I think new archetypes are in the full (July) drop as well, whereas the others are to focus primarily on existing archetypes.
How do you figure? From the screenshot above it seems Thor said the July drop will be the size of a "piece of a set, like Harvest of Sorrow".

Top Bottom