2nd PLAYABLE character confirmed as Ciri

+

2nd PLAYABLE character confirmed as Ciri

• Total voters
Very exciting. I was never a big Ciri fan when reading the books, I didn't find her all that interesting compared to Geralt and his hansa. But since seeing her in the SoD trailer, she has been growing on me. Mainly because she isn't an annoying teenager anymore, but a fine young woman. She's gonna kick ass, I know it.

She’s Geralt’s apprentice and they have a close emotional bond – he trained her so she could become a witcheress."

Oh.. @Marcin Momot... @TheEvilChris...

Won't there be any DLC quest with Ciri, will it?

Marcin?..... Chris?...

interesting, still wondering how they implement the teleport thing, but after reading this:
"We introduce Ciri as supportive narrative tool and not because of gameplay mechanics. The Witcher was always about Geralt and that has not changed, but that handful of moments when you play as Ciri provide us with glimpses of how the story feels from the other side."

sounds like we won't fight much with her, but play her character. So it's more like another point-of-view than another gameplay element.

Sounds good. And though she might only be playable to provide another POV to the narrative, I hope CDPR made her gameplay distinct from Geralt's.

Sweet, well this puts my mind at ease knowing the 2nd playable character isn't the anonymous Ring Finger from the Elder Blood trailer. Ciri was always going to be the obvious choice and i'm clad its been confirmed. Cant wait:)

Exactly what think. I really do not like the idea of switching between Geralt and Ciri in the main game.
1. This is supposed to be Geralt's final chapter. He needs to be the main focus, and he deserves to go out with a bang. Playing as Ciri would take away from this, and shift the focus from Geralt to Ciri.I reallt hope that it's not a sequel bait, where CDPR is slowly shifting the focus from Geralt to Ciri. So players get ready to play as Ciri in Witcher 4 or whatever it's going to be called.
2. It is also very immersion breaking, because you are forcefully taken away from playing as Geralt and you are forced to play as Ciri.
3. My biggest concern is that the game is going to end up being like the books. I disdained Ciri sections, because it was forced, unnecessary, and it pissed me off. You get into Geralt's mature and complex character and story, then you are suddenly shut off and forced to read on a brat Marry Sue. I wanted to skip or quickly get through Ciri sections to get back to Geralt.
4. If Geralt is not the protagonist of the next Witcher game, then I'm not going to be playing it period. Geralt is my main attraction to the Witcher universe, and I don't find Ciri to be interesting. I understand that many love her, and they want her to replace Geralt. They deserve a full game with Ciri as protagonist. With this situation Geralt fans are not getting what they want, and Ciri fans are not getting what they want. Geralt fans want to play only as Geralt, and we are forced to play as Ciri. And Ciri fans are not getting a full gaming experience with Ciri.
Well, you just gave some good arguments why it WON'T be Ciri. At least in my opinion :)

Ciri is too obvious for me. TW3 is supposed to be about Geralt's personal journey in search of his loved ones - and that's why those loved ones should be somewhere in the distance, not taking main stage, so Geralt's story can shine.

Playing as Ciri wouldn't also benefit the storytelling. Geralt/Yennefer could be better, as they both might cooperate at some point in the game on finding their "daughter", giving different perspective on the same issue. Hell, even Geralt/Eredin would give the players more context - why is Geralt in such a hurry? Why is the Wild Hunt chasing Ciri? Those could be the angles answered with using this type of storytelling technique.

Playing as Geralt and Ciri brings much less to the table, so I definitely hope the writers decided to explore other options.

I hope you are right :)

Ciri? Really?

Why did they have to do this !
It just doesn't make sense. If you are playing as Geralt and the Witcher 3 is all about him, then you should see the world and events of Witcher 3 only through his eyes. Geralt does not know what is going on with Ciri and what is she doing since she is missing, and so he makes his decisions based on the fact that he does not know what is going on. Now that the players get to play as Ciri and make decisions as her they are not really in Geralt's shoes, because they know where Ciri is and what she is doing. It's not all about Geralt and experiencing the story as him anymore.
I really hope that Geralt is also present in the scenes when we are playing as Ciri in order to avoid the above situation, and keep Geralt in the loop as well as the player.

Yes! thank you CDP for making my dream come true! I had always dreamed of seeing ciri using he teleportation in battle and you listened to this silly fanboys request and you guys listened. Why are you guys so based?

Why did they have to do this !
It just doesn't make sense. If you are playing as Geralt and the Witcher 3 is all about him, then you should see the world and events of Witcher 3 only through his eyes. Geralt does not know what is going on with Ciri and what is she doing since she is missing, and so he makes his decisions based on the fact that he does not know what is going on. Now that the players get to play as Ciri and make decisions as her they are not really in Geralt's shoes, because they know where Ciri is and what she is doing. It's not all about Geralt and experiencing the story as him anymore.
I really hope that Geralt is also present in the scenes when we are playing as Ciri in order to avoid the above situation, and keep Geralt in the loop as well as the player.
You can clearly see in the 35 minute demo that Geralt finds Ciri and in this artwork they travel together. Actually, I was mis-remembering that scene. I thought he found her but that was a flash back

View attachment 8584

A lot of what you said can be attached to any of the other characters people thought you may play as too. Though I suppose you aren't in favor of any playable character other than Geralt?

Attachments

• iUl5qIjciNnk5.jpg
    iUl5qIjciNnk5.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I highly doubt Geralt would be present in the scenes otherwise there would be no point taking control of Ciri.

A lot of what you said can be attached to any of the other characters people thought you may play as too. Though I suppose you aren't in favor of any playable character other than Geralt?
That's why I am against the idea of taking control of anyone else in Witcher 3 period, and that's why I did not like it in Witcher 2.

One of the best experiences I had last generation was playing as Elle in The Last of Us, so I am incredibly excited about this.

If we get to teleport during combat like in the recent trailer....Whoooooooo!

That's why I am against the idea of taking control of anyone else in Witcher 3 period, and that's why I did not like it in Witcher 2.
I'm sure if the story was written from the start to include these Ciri scenes then it won't be too bad. They are just linear sequences. I think they are doing this to introduce her more to people who have never read the books.

Called it! ...still, I would have preferred my favorite red head sorceress. :(

I jut hope they make Ciri game play interesting, not just make her a female Geralt...

Last edited:
I think we shouldn't expect too much from this.

Ciri can be at locations and talk to characters, which Geralt can't attend or have talks with.

Maybe the sequences where we will be playing Ciri are all flashbacks and we just witness those scenes through her eyes, while Geralt can act like he did in the books, so there is no retconning and Ciri is just a witness and not really an acting person.

Top Bottom