2nd PLAYABLE character confirmed as Ciri

+

2nd PLAYABLE character confirmed as Ciri

• Total voters
I've seen a suggestion elsewhere that the 2nd playable character may be the horse.
Just saying.

Can it be Yen's bird, with its own unique fighting style? :)

In general, I am OK with the idea of a substantial play as someone other than Geralt, but in this case, if it involves enough fighting, they must make separate abilities, and fighting style. No leveling, all spells/moves unlocked. Otherwise it will be the same poor man's swordsman all over again, like in TW2. It was all right for couple of minutes tops, but it won't fly for any substantial play time.

Also I don't see it being open-world, but only some levels/areas, probably separated from the main game world.

I would love to play as Ciri and experience her journey through worlds a little bit - better to show than to tell.

I think the 2. character wll be Ciri.
For example,in the 35 min gameplay video,when the crones tell the story abaut what happend to Ciri,then we see her and after the cutscene,we can play as her.
And whit this way those who doesn't read the books,thats a good way to get to know her.
At least,i hope it will be her. :)

The main quest in TW3 consists of finding Ciri and saving her from the Wild Hunt. But if you show her doing very well all by herself, beating the riders time and again, well where's the tension ? It seems to me that if she's the second playable character, it could cheapen the whole game, from Geralt's perspective anyway.

Also, since this is open world, what's stopping you from going directly to where Geralt is ? The lack of that possibility would be kinda hard to justify.

In Witcher 2 I also got to play as Henselt and Triss for brief moments. I think this will probably be the same thing, and we get to play as an ally or maybe an adversary? Someone who offers different focalization when Geralt are not there to witness the events happening.

No, we already know that you can control minor characters, like in W2. Which is generally brief.

But what they just announced is another character that is used significantly through out the game. So it's more than just a minor role.

Maybe Geralt and Ciri gonna travel together and we'll be able to switch between them.
So there will be 2witcher fights like in trailer.

Maybe Geralt and Ciri gonna travel together and we'll be able to switch between them.
So there will be 2witcher fights like in trailer.
Going from the GameInformer cover, I think they might travel together.

View attachment 8242

Attachments

• iUl5qIjciNnk5.jpg
    iUl5qIjciNnk5.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 38
I'm just not really seeing how it could be anyone else than Ciri.

I doubt they'll go with Lambert as he's really a pretty minor character in the grand scale of things.
I don't hope it turns out to be some complete unknown character whose hand we may or may not have seen during the trailer.
Yennefer, despite the dlc look pack, doesn't seem likely either. It has taken CDPR three games to get the hang of melee combat, so them changing the combat so drastically now so that Yen will be able to jump around and shoot magic at the enemies Geralt will be fighting, just seems incredibly unlikely for so many reasons.

Last edited:
I'm So Torn With all this, On one side i would love to play as Ciri but on the other side if not done correctly could through everything off balance. i really hope there isnt a in fight switcher that would just snap immersion. However Having a follower who you could occasionally use for there abilities would be interesting. but as said above this is the last chapter so the story needs to be solid.

:wat:

Yennefer, despite the dlc look pack, doesn't seem likely either. It has taken CDPR three games to get the hang of melee combat, so them changing the combat so drastically now so that Yen will be able to jump around and shoot magic at the enemies Geralt will be fighting, just seems incredibly unlikely for so many reasons.
I disagree. I think it's most likely Yennefer. She made the most sense from a lot of different point of views. I also doubt that Geralt will be present while we play her.

I say it again: we will probably play Yennefer in the prologue, fighting her way through Nilfgaard or the borderlands, always on the run and up to something at the same time. The actual intro already indicates that possiblity. It also makes sense to do so to give Yennefer the proper weight for her introducation to the game series (especially for newcomers) and her importance for Geralt's personal story in W3 at the same time. You first play Yennefer for a bit, getting a feeling for her character and motivations and then you leave her to play Geralt (for the rest of the game) who tries to track her down (also see the intro). Being able to play as Yennefer would also be quite different to Geralt which would make sense from a gameplay point of view to make the different character distinctive and interesting to play (Ciri is way too similar to Geralt which just sounds boring to me, especially if you don't have a big emotional connection to the character -> newcomers). Of course they would have to limit Yen's abilities but that shouldn't be a big problem with some creative storytelling (book readers already know that magical energy isn't unlimited in the Witcher world and that you can also hinder sorcerers to use it properly by various methods). Also even a powerful magician can't fight a whole army or a whole empire coming for her all by herself so she is probably more running than fighting. I could even think of a pretty linear prologue while playing Yen, more according to typcial action-adventure progression principles and with less freedom to choose how to proceed. Think of something like the typical chase-sequences in Assassin's Creed for example...

And finally yeah, the DLC costumes pack for Yen also makes a lot more sense now. ;)

Last edited:
I'm not sure about Yennefer being playable. I suppose it is odd to have her have appearance DLC if you won't be seeing her a lot, and it would make players more attached to her (Though the same could be said of Ciri). Though, Ciri and Triss and others may get DLC too, we haven't seen all the packs yet.

I don't think making a magic combat system would be difficult. You could still have right/left click for light/heavy attacks (Light magic/More powerful magic that takes longer to create). Maybe instead of switching between signs you switch between general magic and use the mouse. Kind of like switching stances in The Witcher 1. Could summon stuff like that Crow to assist you/distract enemies.

Last edited:
How do you prefer 2nd character playablity?

I prefer it to be like the Witcher 2, where you would control other characters for short periods of time just to explore the story where Geralt isn't present. I'm quite sure it'll be like this, but I still hear a lot of people thinking it'll be complete playability like completing entire quests with Ciri or Lambert. Some people even think we'll be able to switch characters like GTA V. So devs can you please clear this up? No need to reveal the 2nd character.

I personally like a complete focus on Geralt and Geralt only. In the books it bothered me that Sapkowski would soon give little attention to Geralt and the interesting characters that surround him and start telling us about a supernatural girl called Ciri. I want the White Wolf's story, and no one else's.

Last edited:
I will shamelessly quote my own post from another thread :)
I don't want to play as mage, I don't want to choose class...The name of the game is "The Witcher", and Geralt is predifined character and this is final chapter of his story...And that is 8 books and 3 games...And I don't want to Yenn, Ciri, Emhyr, Odrin or Vesna steal that from him...If that is for short period of time or some specific region, that will push story forward-than fine-I am OK with that...
But If sole purpose of that is to cause reactions like "Wow, playing as sorcerer is cool", "Ciri should have her own skill tree", "Yenn should be main protagonist of some future game", "We want dwarf warrior in expansion pack" - than CDPR should start a new game series...

Guest 3702081

First option. Playing as Yennefer, Ciri or whoever the second character will be, is fine to close gaps in the storyline. But the passages shouldn't be stretched out.

I don't want to play as mage, I don't want to choose class...The name of the game is "The Witcher", and Geralt is predifined character and this is final chapter of his story...And that is 8 books and 3 games...And I don't want to Yenn, Ciri, Emhyr, Odrin or Vesna steal that from him...If that is for short period of time or some specific region, that will push story forward-than fine-I am OK with that...
But If sole purpose of that is to cause reactions like "Wow, playing as sorcerer is cool", "Ciri should have her own skill tree", "Yenn should be main protagonist of some future game", "We want dwarf warrior in expansion pack" - than CDPR should start a new game series...

Exactly how I think :)

Top Bottom