3 biggest problems with Gwent

+
3 biggest problems with Gwent

Name 3 biggest problems with Gwent, your opinion.

My 3 biggest complains, from less to worst.

1) Almost all units are now agile, so you can try to place them in different rows to avoid Igni, Scorch, lacerates, merigold storm, or whatever punishes you for row stocking. BUT...
There are too many units that can move enemy cards.
And the result of that - abuse of merigold storm. Even building entire deck for merigold finisher!
What is the meaning of agile units, if opponent can move all mine into one row and I cant really do anything about it???

I think that new harpooner must have the ability to move enemy units, because it works as a part of axemen archetype. It makes sense.
Maybe neutral Aard might have this ability too.
But that should be it.

What do we have?
Drowners doesnt make sense, moving dwarfes and zoltan doesnt make sense too, cause now there are no movement archetype. Moving enemies only to hit it with mh is crap, not strategy.

Now counters.
Zoltan can move YOUR units and... that 1 dwarf.. Thats it. No other faction can counter mh. That's why it is being abused. Problem is not with mh itself, problem with too many units that can move YOURS into one line.

Solution: drowners and dwarfes may move only your units. Avoid weather, counter maybe succubus etc. Still powerful, but not screws your opponent play.
MH will still be used, but not abused.
Solution 2: once you place your unit on the board (or maybe only not agile units), enemy cant move it.

2) Many completely dead gold cards.
For me, it almost killed the game.
Bad gold units bring back Ragnarock and Draught, which are awful, not interesting and its hard to counter it too. Yes, there are mages, but its only 1 card. You can have row-clearing units, but isnt that what devs were talking about?? When you are FORCED to have certain cards to counter certain op-mechanics???
​​​​​​The meaning was to prevent "who has more gold cards, wins".
Maybe this is not true anymore, and its good, but now there are worst thing.
they wanted interactions with golds???? Ok, let other gold cards deal with golds, this would be enough!
But succubus dies of alzur thunder is nonsence.
Tibor or unseen elder dies of scorch, too.
Keira kills herself with epidemic.
Eskel cant kill golds, assassin can kill him.
etc etc etc etc

Either give gold units stronger deathwishes, or, better, REVERT CHANGES to it. Game is still beta, there is still a chance to make good product...
May golds hit golds, but not frost kill sussubus or SILVER auckes locks GOLD villentrmrth...... Its silly.

3) biggest problem is balance. I fear it will never be achieved... Why do they completely kill entire archetypes???

first it was vicovaro novice vicovaro novice for eternal chain swing.
then something else.
now dikstra shani stennis trololo decoy stennis etc.

Lets see.
OP reaver hunters? Completely dead.
Bekker mirror - dead.
Discard - almost dead too (well, you still have 25 pirates, but...why I faced this deck only 1 out of 100 games?)
Reveal - dead.
OP grave hug - dead.

Why do they kill OP cards???
Why not give it a little nerf, or better give worst cards a buff???

​​​​​​Ok, how many different archetypes do we have now???

1) n.realms armor. Stennis, shani, dikstra ALL the time.
2) eithne puke-spelltael. I am angry this even exists at all, but it got a huge buff!! Worst archetype got biggest buff in Farseer card.
3) monster dagon-consume.

And thats it... 3 out of possible 15. Well, there are others too, but they are weak compared to the above.

Each new patch gets the game to the wrong direction, I guess.
Almost no hope left, cause it repeats the same mistakes over and over again.
Instead of creating new archetypes, they kill previous.
For me, game is completely uninteresting now.

And what are your 3 biggest problems???

It would be interesting if we can see something like "only agility units can be moved". For me all those agilities is a problem, but probably not a big one

2 and 3 are indeed big problems, they rushed on the immunity patch, and hotfix actually make the game even less diverse---some meta are gone, the rest unchanged ones become only options

Those and coin flip....It needs to be addressed somehow

They will not address. Every match fate is is now controllable. Before last "gold immunity" patch it was harder to "match" properly as very few players were having in their decks counters against gold units. Thus the only way was to rig the gold cards drawing probabilities in order to incline the balance to the desired player. And it was surely (and still rigged). But, in long term would have been very clear to a lot of people that some are "luckier" in drawing gold cards then others.

After this patch now is much more easier to rig the game. While almost all of those today netdecks are competing in which one is faster in accumulating more points its easy to manipulate the games.

If anyone would like to see that I am right do the following test:

Play any of your today decks, based on points accumulation. I bet you are matched with an opponent in like 7 seconds. The play an SK deck, built around Kambi (think: you need cards to win grow fast round one so that inviting the other to give you the round...or if he is insisting to start the second round with -2 cards so that he will leave it to you. Then 3rd round kambi..imagine what else you need). You will discover that for this second deck you will wait like 30-40 seconds. It is harder for the matchmaking system to find a "suitable" opponent . And while it would be in your advantage for the Kambi deck to start the second you will find out that 9/10 games you will start first. (of course, if you are not among the preferred players - guess whom they are ;) )

The problem with movement right now is a weird one, because I personally feel that more units should be row locked. It isn't really fair that units like, for example, Impera Brigades can be put everywhere on the board and gain strength. It means to stop them you have to move them, and then Merigold's them (or D-Bomb, which would come back to being meta when Merigold's is inevitably changed). If they were row locked (or had the same change as Axeman, and only got affected by spies on the opposite row), then the movement cards would be unnecessary. That's why I'd say movement cards themselves are mostly fine, but would see less play if more cards were (fairly) row locked, and the cards that affect whole rows were slightly less OP.

The gold card change could be very good, but more cards need the stipulation "bronze or silver" added to their effect. Using spies again (oddly enough, my favourite deck right now, but I'd appreciate these nerfs to it anyway) - Assassin. I'd actually say change it so it only affects bronze cards. But either way, while it should be a general rule that gold cards can be damaged, just changing some card's texts would massively improve them quite a lot. I'd also make them immune to weather, but only because I like the mechanic of blocking Skellige Storm with a gold card.

In terms of balance, there is always going to be OP decks, or OP combos, but I agree, the trouble is with CDPR nerfing everything into oblivion, but then bringing something else up to the same level it used to be. Things need touching up, yes, but not always so heavy-handedly. That's a trouble with the CDPR release schedule though, in a beta there should really be more patches more often, even if they just change little things like numbers. That's why the biggest issue for me is the patch schedule - the constant silence for months about new content, followed by a complete revamp of what we already have. To me it seems like the game is just going around in circles. Build on what you've done, don't just change everything.

Celestes666;n9592001 said:
Ok, how many different archetypes do we have now??? 1) n.realms armor. Stennis, shani, dikstra ALL the time. 2) eithne puke-spelltael. I am angry this even exists at all, but it got a huge buff!! Worst archetype got biggest buff in Farseer card. 3) monster dagon-consume.

I don't think there is any way around this, it's nothing new, every patch gets down to rock-paper-scissors, it's not unique to gwent either.

@SkippyHole we had the Impera Brigades locked on the melee row - the joy of Igni, they were called. They are fine now and they have nothing in common with the insanity that Axemen were, they needed this change.

Somewhat agreed. Though, I'd actually like less agile units, symmetrical and non-agile weather.

Gold cads need a serious redesign.

Balance is getting there but each patch has oe or 2 decks that just kill everything. Though this patch has quite a few different factions being played.

Guest 4021160

The biggest problem of gwent is community. Community explains a lot about how human mind works. It explains wars, pride, egoism, pretension, cowardice, foolishness, spite, lie and lack of imagination. I am deeply deeply disappointed and scared about this. Were I the father of all humanity I would spank it's ass crimson.

Lyserus;n9592141 said:
It would be interesting if we can see something like "only agility units can be moved".

I actually really like this idea. Non-agile units should be locked to their row. It's an idea that at least deserves play testing.

My number 1 problem with the game currently is the gold rework. It was super poorly executed imho. I've adapted. I win my fair percent of games. But I'm still saddened by how many previously playable gold cards are just trash now. If the goal was to make gold cards more interactive, I'm down with that. It just needed to be executed much better. My number 2 problem is I would like to see more communication from the game developers. I get that they want to be very careful with what they say. Players tend to obsess over every word said and can misinterpret things as promises. But I would like to understand their vision of the game and it's future more clearly. And lastly, I would like to see more regular balance fixes as long as the game is considered beta. Bi-weekly would be perfect.

1) Lack of cards. Gwent is a VERY small game. Fun, but small. It severely limits strategy. Take ambush - there's all of what? 3 units that use it? And 2 are silvers.

2) Gold re-work is needed. No, REQUIRED. Many golds need to be re-worked given the immunity removal.

3) Fleshed out mechanics. It's nice there's many of them, but they need to be fleshed out more. Ambush, Deathwish, etc. This patch has done some good things for Crewman, Veteran, and Spying, but others are still far behind. I think Weaken even needs a greater presence than simply Mardroeme.

RickMelethron;n9596841 said:
as long as mill is butchered, i'll be happy
So true! And it doesn't even matter that I rek this deck with mine without sacrificing anything against others. What does matter is the fact that drawing a single card when you play Mill decides whether you win or lose the match, and it is unhealthy for the game. Avallac'h himself is fine. It's him and his interaction with Emhyr and, especially, Cahir. Maybe it's their deploy sequence that needs to be changed.

HenryGrosmont;n9602591 said:
So true! And it doesn't even matter that I rek this deck with mine without sacrificing anything against others. What does matter is the fact that drawing a single card when you play Mill decides whether you win or lose the match, and it is unhealthy for the game. Avallac'h himself is fine. It's him and his interaction with Emhyr and, especially, Cahir. Maybe it's their deploy sequence that needs to be changed.
It's definitely the deploy sequence that's the issue, plus the fact that he's 8 power.

In the pre-patch method, Emhyr had to first play Shackles to make him Silver, thus eligible to be bounced. After he's demoted you have a chance to react. In this new Emhyr, Shackle gets played then he's immediately bounced. Repeat with Cahir, repeat with Decoy. Oh look, 6 cards.

You don't have an opportunity to counter any of it. Avallac'h drops - what can you do? Nothing, because he's 8 power. You can't kill him outside of a very few niche cards that are mostly faction-locked (and gold). Locking him does nothing because of the bounce. Furthermore, because he's initially Gold, it also makes him immune to many things that would remove him and break the combo.

arubino99;n9602771 said:
It's definitely the deploy sequence that's the issue, plus the fact that he's 8 power.

In the pre-patch method, Emhyr had to first play Shackles to make him Silver, thus eligible to be bounced. After he's demoted you have a chance to react. In this new Emhyr, Shackle gets played then he's immediately bounced. Repeat with Cahir, repeat with Decoy. Oh look, 6 cards.

You don't have an opportunity to counter any of it. Avallac'h drops - what can you do? Nothing, because he's 8 power. You can't kill him outside of a very few niche cards that are mostly faction-locked (and gold). Locking him does nothing because of the bounce. Furthermore, because he's initially Gold, it also makes him immune to many things that would remove him and break the combo.
That's what I said: Cahir into Avallac'h is just a joke - play Cahir, draw 2 cards, keep Avallac'h in your hand.

Top Bottom