3dsmax exporter

+
i tried it with max 2014 and the only expierience was, that it is not compatible or just dont work

I'm running it under max 2013 64bit windows7. And it seems to be working but i dont had the time to check it any further.
(I'm new to version 2013 and still struggling with the material editor, but the exporter does create a file which i stll have to check in the redkit)
In Order to get some Results with the redkit i think i have to create a little bit of terrain and world at first. But... i just don't had the time yet.

You can Export a skeletal mesh from Max 2009 in .re format and load it into a folder in the asset browser, but I haven't been able to make the materials display properly on the mesh, however the mesh will show up in the mesh editor and textures can be applied.

As far as the skeleton/Rigging, well..that's just a whole other ball game.

no, it just dont works.
I was wondering about that 2014 is not downward-compatible so i reinstall 2013, load the plugin, run the MAXscript and as you see on my screenshot, there is no way to export into w2mesh file.

And as long as this the ONLY documentation is:
Please copy re_exporter.ms to your 3ds Max folder, e.g.

-> ...\3ds Max VERSION\Scripts\Startup\re_exporter.ms

Please copy appropriate version of max_re_exporter.dlx to your 3ds Max folder, e.g.

-> ...\3ds Max VERSION\plugins\max_re_exporter.dlx
for the whole software, i can do nothing.

Edit:
Ok, the guy who make the forum thought 373x280p is a good resolution for screenshots in a beta-phase of software.
So i had to upload the picture to my own server. Here you can see something

Attachments

• no3dsm.jpg
    no3dsm.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Ok mate, i say it once: I like it if someone else is better in things, then me, and can teach me stuff. But never insult me again, or we start talking about Java, Ruby or C# and lets see who of us is the fool. Okay?

Its not my fault that CD project Red is a developer that likes to release software without any documentation. In Germany, you will loose your job if you do so, so im not familar with this behavior.

Ok mate, i say it once: I like it if someone else is better in things, then me, and can teach me stuff. But never insult me again, or we start talking about Java, Ruby or C# and lets see who of us is the fool. Okay?

Its not my fault that CD project Red is a developer that likes to release software without any documentation. In Germany, you will loose your job if you do so, so im not familar with this behavior.

Hahaha

First of all: Everybody calm down. We are trying to help each other, or not?

and Second: i was able to attach texture to imported mesh. importing texture the same way mesh was imported. right click in the asset browser and instead of importing mesh you can import 2D-texture. After that you can rightclick the mesh - "Edit".
With the little green arrow under Diffuse Map you're assigning the texture marked in the asset browser to the mesh.

Baking Texture with 3dsmax will be my next step.

Guys, if some of you could start a tutorial on that even if it's incomplete it would be nice (and others will complete it along the way). :)

Baked texture is applied and working. But only the diffuse map. I can' get the normal map or the specular map working. When importing the mesh, there is an error that only for the diffuse map an instance is created, cause the redkit can't find the textures. There isn't a diffuse map either but for the diffuse map redkit does create an instance no matter what.
I tried both : Texture maps in the folder i want to import to and from. But nothing
Suggestions anybody?

Baked texture is applied and working. But only the diffuse map. I can' get the normal map or the specular map working. When importing the mesh, there is an error that only for the diffuse map an instance is created, cause the redkit can't find the textures. There isn't a diffuse map either but for the diffuse map redkit does create an instance no matter what.
I tried both : Texture maps in the folder i want to import to and from. But nothing
Suggestions anybody?

After selecting a template "ex. environment_levels\shaders\detailmat.w2mg" (when importing mesh), you need to create an instance of it. It'll make a unique instance using the shader, and you can add your own textures.

Edit- And the exporter is working fine for me in 2014. Atleast with regular meshes.

Last edited:
I was using the wrong shader.
"ex. environment_levels\shaders\detailmat.w2mg" changes the choices for normal and specular in the meshimport-gui. Thank you scumworks

If I'll manage to understand how everything works I'll put up a tutorial on how to export from 3ds, coming from another software, but right now I'm having lots of problems understanding whats going on
Looks very similar to UDK in the structure, but I guess it takes time and trial and error to figure out whats the best solution

I'll keep you update :)

Top Bottom