4k mouse speed

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
4k mouse speed

When playing in 4k, the mouse speed when in inventory and menus are not as fast as it is in 1080, could this be adjusted to it always matches the vanilla speed in different resolutions?

If you switch to Hardware Cursor Mode in the options menu, that's as fast as it's going to get. Mouse response time is always somewhat limited by framerate.

If you switch to Hardware Cursor Mode in the options menu, that's as fast as it's going to get. Mouse response time is always somewhat limited by framerate.

Yeah I tried that, it just felt very... hmmm .. like the cursor had inertia lol

Yeah I tried that, it just felt very... hmmm .. like the cursor had inertia lol

You're probably experiencing latency due to the load on your CPU/GPU. TW3 is a very demanding game to be running at 4K (especially if you're downscaling).

You're probably experiencing latency due to the load on your CPU/GPU. TW3 is a very demanding game to be running at 4K (especially if you're downscaling).

I really don't know what it is, I'm running a 980 Ti and it runs the game perfectly at 4k. It's not the end of the world, but it would be nice if they balanced it out. I can up the DPI on the mouse and then it's fine, but it's a not right when you leave the menus again :D

Your're running the same cursor speed at different resolutions. It goes without saying that it will take longer to move the cursor across the screen at a higher resolution, because it has more pixels to traverse.

Its like comparing a 60 km/h car driving a 100km distance versus a 250km distance...need to up the DPI/speed to make it seem the same.

Your're running the same cursor speed at different resolutions. It goes without saying that it will take longer to move the cursor across the screen at a higher resolution, because it has more pixels to traverse.

Its like comparing a 60 km/h car driving a 100km distance versus a 250km distance...need to up the DPI/speed to make it seem the same.

That is precisely the point. It would be nice if they could balance it out through the game. Or better yet, just add a mouse sensitivity setting.

That is precisely the point. It would be nice if they could balance it out through the game. Or better yet, just add a mouse sensitivity setting.

Its up to the user to know what resolution they are on and adjust their sensitivity accordingly, no other game that I am aware of pragmatically detects what resolution someone is on and pad the sensitivity from a base value depending on it. While a sensitivity option in the game would help, I think adjustments via the OS/Mouse DPI should suffice.

Its up to the user to know what resolution they are on and adjust their sensitivity accordingly, no other game that I am aware of pragmatically detects what resolution someone is on and pad the sensitivity from a base value depending on it. While a sensitivity option in the game would help, I think adjustments via the OS/Mouse DPI should suffice.

Pragmatically detects? Uh...

A sensitivity slider is pretty much standard these days, especially now that 4k has become a thing common. So just because you think it suffices without, it should not be considered? That's a bit narcissistic, don't you think?

It doesn't work that way, @Wintermist. @Prosthetics post above is a much more accurate way of saying what I was saying. A mouse cursor moves according to "Dots Per Inch" (DPI), which is a ratio of how many pixels on the screen will be taken into account by the laser as it moves over a mousepad. High-end gaming mice use upwards of 8,000+ DPI, while a standard off-the-shelf mouse uses 500 or so. The higher the DPI, the more accurate the precision of fine movements, the "slower" the cursor will appear to move.

When you increase your resolution, it's like increasing the size of the "playing field". 1080p is a tennis court. 4K is a football field. More pixels = more detail = slower overall mouse cursor movement. Decrease DPI to increase overall mouse speed.

When you downscale, the screen is squeezing all of the detail of a football field into a space the size of a tennis court. This creates an additional job of work for the GPU as it needs to draw the game at about 4x the monitor's resolution, take a picture, shrink it down, clean up the image, then paint it on your screen. Imagine what this will do to the calculations that a mouse needs to draw its cursor accurately on the screen -- it's trying to account for pixels that don't actually exist on your screen-space image, then round things off to come as close as possible to the equivalent position on the pixels that do exist.

This is going to slow down your mouse performance. The devs can't do antything about this -- it's your chosen hardware and your chosen settings.

The only other thing I can think of is (if you have a gaming mouse) ensure you're in Hardware Mode and use the mouse's on-the-fly sensitivity settings (usually a couple of buttons right above or below the wheel) until it's more responsive.

It doesn't work that way, @Wintermist. @Prosthetics post above is a much more accurate way of saying what I was saying. A mouse cursor moves according to "Dots Per Inch" (DPI), which is a ratio of how many pixels on the screen will be taken into account by the laser as it moves over a mousepad. High-end gaming mice use upwards of 8,000+ DPI, while a standard off-the-shelf mouse uses 500 or so. The higher the DPI, the more accurate the precision of fine movements, the "slower" the cursor will appear to move.

When you increase your resolution, it's like increasing the size of the "playing field". 1080p is a tennis court. 4K is a football field. More pixels = more detail = slower overall mouse cursor movement. Decrease DPI to increase overall mouse speed.

When you downscale, the screen is squeezing all of the detail of a football field into a space the size of a tennis court. This creates an additional job of work for the GPU as it needs to draw the game at about 4x the monitor's resolution, take a picture, shrink it down, clean up the image, then paint it on your screen. Imagine what this will do to the calculations that a mouse needs to draw its cursor accurately on the screen -- it's trying to account for pixels that don't actually exist on your screen-space image, then round things off to come as close as possible to the equivalent position on the pixels that do exist.

This is going to slow down your mouse performance. The devs can't do antything about this -- it's your chosen hardware and your chosen settings.

The only other thing I can think of is (if you have a gaming mouse) ensure you're in Hardware Mode and use the mouse's on-the-fly sensitivity settings (usually a couple of buttons right above or below the wheel) until it's more responsive.

You probably now thought that I wanted the game to change the DPI of my mouse when I said "mouse sensitivity setting", which was not the case. Just a normal mouse sensitivity slider.

You probably now thought that I wanted the game to change the DPI of my mouse when I said "mouse sensitivity setting", which was not the case. Just a normal mouse sensitivity slider.

No, I took that into account, too. That's why I said "if" you have a gaming mouse, which will give you access to additional sensitivity settings directly through the hardware -- bypassing Windows or in-game settings altogether.

It sounds as if you're not using a gaming mouse, which will not help this particular issue. Windows/in-game settings are not anywhere near as accurate, and your mouse cursor calculations will be directly tied to your FPS frame-by-frame. In fact, software mode will actually skip frames for control inputs to maintain higher FPS, which is likely where your "inertial" movement is coming from.

So your options are:

1.) Lower your resolution until controls become responsive.

2.) Tweak your vsync, pre-rendered frames, and graphics settings to achieve higher overall FPS and free up cycles for the mouse.

3.) Purchase a hardware accelerated mouse (Razer, Saitek, Corsair, etc.), which will likely improve things only moderately. I, too, use a GTX 980 ti 6GB with a Razer Deathadder, and I still get a noticeable but playable input delay at 2K-4K. (Everything is smooth as silk at 1080p.)

No, I took that into account, too. That's why I said "if" you have a gaming mouse, which will give you access to additional sensitivity settings directly through the hardware -- bypassing Windows or in-game settings altogether.

It sounds as if you're not using a gaming mouse, which will not help this particular issue. Windows/in-game settings are not anywhere near as accurate, and your mouse cursor calculations will be directly tied to your FPS frame-by-frame. In fact, software mode will actually skip frames for control inputs to maintain higher FPS, which is likely where your "inertial" movement is coming from.

So your options are:

1.) Lower your resolution until controls become responsive.

2.) Tweak your vsync, pre-rendered frames, and graphics settings to achieve higher overall FPS and free up cycles for the mouse.

3.) Purchase a hardware accelerated mouse (Razer, Saitek, Corsair, etc.), which will likely improve things only moderately. I, too, use a GTX 980 ti 6GB with a Razer Deathadder, and I still get a noticeable but playable input delay at 2K-4K. (Everything is smooth as silk at 1080p.)

What you said about Vsync got me thinking, I had tried with it on or off, but never changed it from unlimited to force it to 60. That fixed it entirely. So, Hardware mouse off, Vsync set to 60. This works everywhere except the Esc menu, but there it won't matter at all. Inventory, everything, smooth as silk now.

So thanks, while not giving the solution, you still gave the solution :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom