5 reasons why Yorinobu is the WORST thing Cyberpunk has (and how to fix that) *SPOILERS* (duh)

+
I’ve finished the game multiple times and now, after analyzing it, I think one of the greatest problems of Cyberpunk’s narrative is no one else but its main antagonist – or rather the way he is presented.

Why is that? Can we call him a villain at all? Well, the game is built on the idea that evil corporations want to control the world – and for a huge part of the game it’s Yorinobu who represents this idea by being the evil face of Arasaka (contrary to Takemura who’s all about values and virtues). But is his character worth a whole story built around him? Well, that’s an interesting question – and one of the core problems of the game.

But before we start, I want to emphasize that I didn't read any wiki texts because I believe that a good story works only within itself and doesn't need any external info. If it's not in the game it doesn't exist for me. Adding something post-factum or expecting the gamers to read additional articles is just poorly writing. Also it’s not ok if important details can be found only in reading chips – they should be shown in the main storyline.

• He’s not exceptional. There’s not much we can say about him. He’s the second son of Saburo Arasaka and the rebel child who left the family but then came back. He spent years with gangs and now he’s back to be the heist. His bodyguard is a monstrous criminal and he has a soft spot for his sister. Also, he’s quite lonely since he invites Evelyn to spend a night with.

He doesn’t seem to be a man of any talents or charisma. Even his design is flat (compare him to Takemura, for example). By the end of the game, I’d completely forgotten how he looked at all. Even Smasher looks much more interesting – and, funnily, you may say that it’s Smasher who’s actually the main villain, because, first of all, he appears in every ending as the final boss, and, second, he has a personal issue with Johnny.

• He doesn’t threaten V. He’s not causing V any personal troubles: it seems that Yorinobu doesn’t even know that it’s V who’s stolen the Relic, because no one seems to be interested in catching her. Her face is not on the TV and she doesn’t get instantly known as she walks into any corporate facility. We don’t hear anyone asking about V or running some secret investigation to find her (it could be a nice side-job). Yorinobu is not trying to kidnap any of our love interests by the end of the game to force us to stop our journey. He doesn’t even send V Jackie’s stuff to remind her of what exactly happened the last time they stood against Arasaka. In other words, Yorinobu isn’t shown as a threat – therefore we don’t have to be scared of him.

But what’s worse, he plays no significant role in V’s personal journey. There are even endings where he doesn’t appear at all. What the hell?! He is supposed to be the very person that stands on V’s way and makes it impossible for her to gain freedom – but he seems to be more interested in Takemura than V. What’s the point of paying him any attention then?

• His motive is a cliché. For a huge part of the game we’re expected to believe that all Yorinobu wants is power. It’s only in the ending where we learn that he’s actually a rebel who wants to destroy Arasaka. But even if you're planning a twist by the end, the “get unlimited power” motivation is too weak to provoke any interest until the said twist actually occurs. Whether or not we admire villains usually depends on their motivation – but better their inner conflicts.

And this is where Yorinobu actually has some potential. Because who is Yorinobu? He's the son of Saburo a.k.a. the most powerful man on this planet – but, what's more important, the man who's going to live forever. What is it like to be a heist that will never get all the power? To be an eternal child even when you, like, 80 – and don't have freedom to do what you want? Sure, they didn't want to step on "Altered Carbon" territory, but their characters clearly struggle with the same dilemmas.

Ok, now we start to think that he's just a rebel child who's tired of immortal strict father and wants power – it's fine because this motive is based on the lore and can happen only in Cyberpunk world where powerful people can live centuries or so.

But it’s even better if there’s a clear situation that made Yorinobu turn his back to his father. Perfectly – something related to the terrorist attack by Johnny. For example, Saburo decided not to pay the victims’ families any insurance money. Or killed some of his enemies in the chaos – anything will work as long as it influences Yarinobu and makes him anger with everything the corporation represents. But at first it should seem as if Yarinobu hated his father for causing this situation at all and only then we realize that everything is a bit more complicated.

It can also be Johnny himself – Saburo could force Yarinobu to watch what Arasaka does with terrorists, but Yarinobu, being softer than his father, saw it as a terrible execution and realized that Johhny was right. And since then he decided to continue Johnny’s riot.

• Everything you learn about Yorinobu is true. Characters become more interesting when they appear one way but then prove themselves to be something completely different. The writers tried to do this when they added the twist where it’s revealed that Yorinobu was trying to stop Ararsaka and destroy his father’s legacy. But by that time we hadn’t learnt enough about Yorinobu to actually believe he might be planning something like that or even care about him having some depth at all.

And here's the trick. How we get info about Yorinobu? First, through Eve's memory who's clearly scared of him (so her experience is purely subjective). Then we see him killing his father – both times it's natural for us to feel fear of him (and our experience is subjective). But how we learn the rest? Through Takemura. And who's Takemura? The bodyguard of the very person Yorinobu killed. See the conflict? Even if Takemura wants, he cannot give us a purely objective info because he disdains Yorinobu.

This, by the way, should be the main idea of Yorinobu's quest that ties it with Johnny – that the way we remember a person or a situation is based on our feelings. In other words, we remember everything the way we want to. I’m pretty sure they thought about this concept, because Alt said that Johnny's memories of her abduction only showed his own way of remembering it and not how it’d really happened.

But just imagine how much deeper the character looked if we were constantly getting hints that Yorinobu is something more than just a rebel child? Additional quests, jobs, or people he’s close to – anything is fine, because the more we learn about his past the more we doubt that he’s interested merely in power for power – but rather in freedom. Even Johnny could help with that by noticing hints of Yorinobu’s true goals.

• He doesn’t use his power to change anything in the City to worsen the situation. Ideally, the journey of the antagonist should cause troubles and risks not only for the protagonist but also for the people they care about. But nothing really changes since Yorinobu gets this unlimited power – no real consequences, no additional risks or problems on the streets. And this is a problem itself, because what exactly should I be scared about? Maybe Yorinobu is actually a good guy who will lead the world to freedom? Maybe I should help him? After all, it’s the father he killed who built Arasaka and controlled the world. What reasons do I have to think otherwise?

And it doesn’t have to be obvious of course. For example, the first day after Saburo’s death a riot happens, but Arasaka suppresses it following Yorinobu’s order. There’s a lot of blood and pain and we see it ourselves. Then we constantly watch TV where rebels are described as savages. The gangs are pissed off and planning another riot. So we realize that the situation is getting hot very soon. This, by the way, would nicely work with the mechanics of V working with gangs and choosing which of them would attack Arasaka in the final mission. This way it would be understandable why the whole army couldn’t stop two or three people from breaking into HQ and killing everyone – because the main forces were fighting on the streets.

Plus, it goes exactly with Yarinobu’s plan because he wants to destroy Arasaka but cannot do it openly. So he provokes the gangs to make a move – and in this chaos he can kill Hanako or anyone else.

And it’s not necessary to make it all obvious. Until the last mission we can stay under impression that he’s a dictator who wants to destroy every Arasaka’s enemy. But through the game we would hear the gangs talking about some messiah or force that is trying to destroy Arasaka. And while doing side-jobs we would read messages about mysterious people who keep buying the gangs properties or make deals with them – which means there is a war coming. It can also lead to the fact that Yarinobu is planning a war with Militech – I had some dialogues about this in the game, but it didn’t seem like a big deal since there're no consequences.
So what should we do to make Yarinobu a good villain?

To sum things up, we need him to be personally related to V’s journey and have some backstory with Johnny – preferably, Johnny’s attack on HQ and his execution should be the very reason why Yarinobu turned his back to Arasaka and start to think about destroying it. We need him to play a more prominent role in the story and cause V real problems. And he should be our final boss.

But there are still a lot of questions, right? Why he tries to kill Hanako although he clearly loves her? Why he steals the Relic with the infamous terrorist Johnny Silverhand? Why he is so focused on destroying Arasaka although he has everything because of it?

There is one simple answer.

Because he’s no longer Yarinobu – but Johnny Silverhand.

I think the perfect ending would be if it occurred that Yarinobu too had the Relic inside him – and went the same journey as V having conversations with Johnny and getting their memories twisted together. But where V was kind and understanding to Johnny’s construct, Yarinobu was led by desire to revenge – and Johhny maximized it to the point where Yarinobu decided to become the bomb himself. So the more hatred Yarinobu felt towards Arasaka, the stronger Johnny’s construct became – and it resulted in Johnny finally taking control of Yarinobu.

After that, having Yarinobu’s memories, he manages to fool Hanako and build a new plan with him becoming the heist of Arasaka – and finally destroying it.

So in the ending we must use everything we’ve learnt about Johnny to win this fight – and make him realize that killing everyone is not an option. This way our journey with him would be of much more importance – and at the ending we’d have a feeling that we indeed saved his soul. It’d even make a nice connection to Delamain side-job where the cars are the same but choose different paths.

Also,it would make Johnny inside V realise the whole weight of what he did – because it doesn't seem that the game is really bothered with Johnny having killed thousands of people. It doesn't matter if they're corps – they are human beings and their blood is on his hands. Johnny should realize that andaccept the guilt for their lives. Otherwise, his arc is leading nowhere.

Anyway, I’d be glad to hear what you think of Yarinobu and whether you like him or not.

Why do you think he's the actual antagonist?
Because Takemura says he's the Anatagonist? I mean, no one else really cares about him, besides the Arasaka people. Rogue and Johnny just care about Smasher. Panam & Judy had their own antagonistic characters, As did Kerry and Ward. Even for Alt the whole thing isn't about Yorinobu, but about that piece of technology.

Or to put it differently, it's imo more the typical cautionary tale about societal values and unchecked technological advances. A story about the industrialization transported into the Sci-Fi universe, with social security systems again vanishing and everyhting becoming more feudal again.
Arasaka is bad, but if it falls someone else will take his job. Just as happens if Yorinobu/Saburo fall. Or as Johnnys two instances of storming the Arasaka HQ have shown - it will persist.

In regards towards Johnnys character arc - well he seemingly develops. He drops a lot of his grief and deciedes to life on in one ending. Something he wasn't able to do before. Though, it's abit funny, in that to reach that you've to more or less go the same way, as him.

Why do you think he's the actual antagonist?
Because Takemura says he's the Anatagonist? I mean, no one else really cares about him, besides the Arasaka people. Rogue and Johnny just care about Smasher. Panam & Judy had their own antagonistic characters, As did Kerry and Ward. Even for Alt the whole thing isn't about Yorinobu, but about that piece of technology.

Or to put it differently, it's imo more the typical cautionary tale about societal values and unchecked technological advances. A story about the industrialization transported into the Sci-Fi universe, with social security systems again vanishing and everyhting becoming more feudal again.
Arasaka is bad, but if it falls someone else will take his job. Just as happens if Yorinobu/Saburo fall. Or as Johnnys two instances of storming the Arasaka HQ have shown - it will persist.

In regards towards Johnnys character arc - well he seemingly develops. He drops a lot of his grief and deciedes to life on in one ending. Something he wasn't able to do before. Though, it's abit funny, in that to reach that you've to more or less go the same way, as him.

Ok, these are the antagonists of every meaningful character in the game. Except for V. I'm playing for V. Who's V's antagonist if not Yorinobu?

Ok, these are the antagonists of every meaningful character in the game. Except for V. I'm playing for V. Who's V's antagonist if not Yorinobu?

There's no personal antagonist exactly. The closest thing you can find is imo Placide for a short while.
Otherwise as i've written, it's a set of personal and societal values. Or as some other have written - maybe even Night City in itself. In a way the Engram V2.0 with Johnny in it.

I mean ask yourself, is Yorinobu actually connected in an antagonistic relationship with the player?
He's involved in some external strife leading to Vs problem, so far so true. But if you don't percieve him as an evil mastermind who planned meticulously that V would end up with the Engram within her slot and then get killed - it's all rather accidental that he's involved in her ending up witht he precise problem she's in. And if it weren't for that precise struggle, she would have more or less been able to walk away or be directly dead.
Or to put it differently, V isn't trying to overcome Yorinobu, she's trying to overcome getting wiped by the Engram. And it looks as if no one besides Takemura is truly hounded by Arasaka forces - but maybe CDPR just failed to put more emphasis on that later on.

I don't agree that Yorinobu is the worst thing Cyberpunk has. We don't need a more iconic villain, because our motivation is completely separate from that. Yorinobu is not the reason V is going to the tower. The antagonist is not Yorinobu, but death.

if you ask me...
Saburo will take him over with another relic
thats the whole reason why Saburo did even try to invent the relic, to make himself immortal
and i think Hanako knows that
but who knows... its all theorie crafting

and for the antagonist in this game..
i dunno... i didnt find one.. (i did hate a lot of the enemys, they all give you so much to dislike em)
you fight big corpo without face and gangs with an inhumane attitude...
and silverhand is draging you deeper and deeper into hating big corpo

Killing Saburo is the ultimate goal of any Edgerunner.

Poor Yorinobu didn't know what to do once he did it.

I, V, know next to nothing about Yorinobu apart from whats writing about him and other ppl's "biased" views ie Goro

If i thought there was a antagonist in game that mantle would probably sit on the shoulders of the Corporations or even just the chip im V's head, if i thought there was a proper antagonist in the "game" typical sense waiting in the wings that honour would gotto Alt

Killing Saburo is the ultimate goal of any Edgerunner.

Poor Yorinobu didn't know what to do once he did it.

You're cool, but you're off here. Yorinobu knows exactly what to do.

- First, discredit Goro Takemura. He blamed him for killing his Arasaka co-workers and partnering with the murderer of Saburo Arasaka. Takemura's premium corporate implants are deactivated and not even his own apprentice, Oda, believes him.
- Next, instigate a war with Militech. Blame them for providing the Flathead drone and the two spies that murdered Saburo. I previously didn't consider that Militech knew what you'd use the drone for, but it's a possibility. It builds up his "hawk" faction and starts a war he fully intends to lose.
- You might miss the radio broadcast of Yorinobu deactivating Arasaka facilities in the name of profitability. Investors love it, but I was concerned: this is also how corporate raiders destroy productive businesses. Which, of course, is exactly his goal.
- Secure anyone who can be tracked. V's Kiyoshi implants make tracking them down impossible, but Arasaka successfully secures Jackie's corpse if sent to a ripperdoc. Evelyn Parker goes to a Tyger-owned establishment, which means Yorinobu can leak her location to the Voodoo Boys. Dex DeShawn is executed by Goro Takemura instead of interrogated at Mikoshi. T may or may not have been killed by Arasaka netrunners. But the point is, all members of the heist are neutralized except for yourself.
- Finally, finish off Takemura by relaxing security until he can abduct Hanako. Track them both down, rescue Hanako, and kill Takemura.

Yorinobu isn't the main antagonist.

Nether is Arasaka, Johnny Silverhand, Adam Smasher, Alt, or anyone else.

They are all manifestations of Night City, which is the larger, systemic antagonist. If you "defeat" Arasaka and/or Yorinobu... so what? Arasaka will still likely exist and if not, the same types of corporations will exist and replace them, no fundamental change. If you defeat Adam Smasher, so what? The tech, the city, the systems that created him still exist and will make more people just like him. If you "defeat" Johnny by getting him out of your head, so what? The whole point was for you to survive, and in a lot of ways, he wanted that for you too. Hell, Alt isn't even really an antagonist so much as a confounding AI; they present a new challenge for V to deal with in the future.

Everything that has been antagonizing V, every element of pain, damage, and so on that not only V faces, but everyone else (Judy, Panam, River, Kerry, Misty, Jackie, T-Bone, Dex, Rogue, Johnny, etc) faces, has stemmed from Night City itself. The entire city is a lie; it's built off of selling you false promises of fame, of fortune, and most importantly in the games themes, of immortality. Live forever by becoming a fake messiah whose death can be experienced via BD; become a legend of the streets by doing some crazy fucking shit like a heist or terrorist attack; live forever via relics thanks to Arasaka's "Save Your Soul" program; all of it is a lie; all of them are forgotten, die, or, perhaps most aptly, "Fade Away". Alt lost her personality due to being trapped in cyberspace -- that's how "Soulkiller" works, thereby, Alt faded away. Johnny faded into obscurity chasing a dream of fame and a poorly constructed ideal of trying to take on hyper-consumerism. Adam Smasher lost himself to technology and power, and lost everything that made him human. Judy lost her closest friends and partners to the city's brutal violence. Panam found herself hating everything for the short time she stayed in Night City trying to chase its false promises. Jackie lost everything to it trying to make it to the "big leagues", and in time, his name will become meaningless if not entirely forgotten. Rache Bartmoss, the legendary nethacker, is basically forgotten by most people, and was literally forgotten about as he died, body in a fridge, dumped in a landfill. The corpos are all nameless cogs in a larger corporate system, their personhood having no meaning or importance. Gangs provide false senses of family in a city depriving everyone of human connection and empathy, and violence cascades out of control across the streets.

The game may have people who get in your way, but there is only one antagonist: Night City and all of its false promises and pretenses.

(I talk about this a bit more here as well)

The game may have people who get in your way, but there is only one antagonist: Night City and all of its false promises and pretenses.

And my V wouldn't live anywhere else.

No, I disagree. The Night City cannot be the antagonist because it's indifferent to V. No one sees her as a threat or really cares about her until she comes to a particular area or tries to break into somewhere - so it's rather obstacles. The Night City could be an antagonist if V's face was on the TV as a terrorist and the police or corps were trying to find her and we knew that everyone (or at least a huge part of the City) was against our goal to get the Relic out. But no one really cares - for the City V is zero even with 50 level reputation.

I would agree that Arasaka itself is the antagonist because it's they who stay on our way towards our main goal, but having a corporation as an antagonist is too vague - perfectly, we need someone to represent the idea of its sins. But even so, the corps don't care about V. Neither Yorinobu nor Hanako cares that she broke into Arasaka, stole the Relic and has been carring the construct of Johnny Silverhand all around the City for months. Even when V's in the HQ Hanako isn't really interested in stopping her or giving Takemura orders to kill her - for them the Relic means nothing so they just don't care.

It seems that V is literally zero in this game - just a delivery person to carry Johnny around so he can make everything up towards our main goal. Neither there are any significant antagonists to be against her main goal, nor forces wanting to speed up Johnny's "invasion" into her.

God, even endings happen mostly because of Johnny. Since:
- Alt helps ONLY because of Johnny.
- Rogue helps ONLY because of Johnny.
- Panam helps V, but without Alt they're doomed - and Alt helps ONLY because of Johnny.

So if there was ANYONE but Johnny in her head, V would be doomed from the very first moment.

This leaves us only one ending so far where V can somehow help herself - Arasaka. And it's here where our antagonist is Yarinobu and his people because they stay on our way trying to prevent us from getting into Mikoshi (in reality, they just want Hanako to stop, but, ugh, it's somehow fine as long as it's against V's goal). But even in this ending V plays zero significant role - it just happens that Hanako has been having an enagram of Saburo freaking Arasaka this whole time. And people believe V because of that - and not because you choose some right lines in the dialogue with them. If there was no enagram V just wouldn't go anywhere. Even Saburo himself is clearly fine with V having Johnny inside her head. Because they can build the third HQ, I guess.

So the only thing the game sees V capable of is breaking into facilities and killing everyone she sees. Which, ironically, is the goal of almost every quest in the game. So they weren't badly written after all - they just prepared us for our last mission.

And what is this awesome Johnny's arc exactly? He goes on a date, talks with an old friend about his depression, and plays on a concert. But he doesn't give a SINGLE thought about people he actually blew up. He's not interesting in going to some memorial of his victims. He has no sympathy for their families. You may say that he's realised that Life is worth living. Great, and what exactly is his next move? He takes a gun and goes to Arasaka Tower killing everyone who gets in his way. I'm pretty sure all these people who died in his attack (which was roughly 4 times deadlier than 9/11) and their families would be so glad to know that Johnny Silverhand has reached inner peace after all.

Wow, the writing in this game is even worse than I thought.

Top Bottom