5 Winners and 5 Losers in the World of Post-Patch Golds

+
5 Winners and 5 Losers in the World of Post-Patch Golds

Certain assumptions are made here. Namely that Golds can not just be targeted, but also that they are susceptible to AOE and Global abilities as well. Also, this is just opinion, and without the benefit of actually seeing any card changes. I don't mind hate, so long as it is understood that I am not working with factual knowledge, and therefor am simply supposing what I believe will be true.

Winners:

1. Avallac'h - His deploy ability is strong in a lot of decks, and now people don't have to waste a card to target him with Decoy. And after Decoying him, he's still Gold for Renew. This patch is a huge win for Avallac'h players.

2. Ciri: Dash - The only thing that makes Ciri: Dash better, is more ways to go to the graveyard. The new mechanic here makes for a lot of potential card combos that didn't exist before. I'm looking at you, Ele'yas.

3. Geralt: Igni - The lack of protection for buffed Golds will force Gigni into an auto-include situation for most decks.

4. Maria Barring - The idea of having an opponent play a buffed Bloody Baron or Kayran, just to have Milva bounce him makes me almost wanna play ST. Almost.

5. Coral - Gold Units are big units. Artefact Compression is going to be a monster spell. Saves you having to put it in the deck.

Honorable Mention: Assasination - People have been begging for it to target Golds for months. Now it does.

Losers:

1. Ciri - The staple neutral card for CA takes a huge hit, especially if she doesn't get a strength buff. Even upped to 7 Strength, she's still Thunder-bait.

2. Kayran - I'm sure this requires no explanation. Lose a card in CA, to buff him just high enough to get Scorched in a heartbeat.

3. Kambi - Dear Novelty SK Players. The dream is over.

4. Three Jackdaws - "It seems daft to guard him when he's a guard!" Unless he's changed mechanically, you are just playing Villentretenmerth to scorch himself.

5. Priscilla - She wasn't good to begin with. She's worse now.

Honorable Mention: Letho of Gulet - He's completely lost his ability to protect your points, but he does still banish 4 enemy units, potentially including golds.

Last edited:
This is only true assuming the strengths stay the same. I think with the lack of gold protection, all gold card strengths will be buffed considerably, maybe a few shielded or armored ones upon deploy.
There is no way any gold card would have a body below 7 str! I mean alzur's shouldn't be able to 1 hit any gold card. Or Morenn... lol.

bojerbela;n9356461 said:
Coral can be now decoyed and resurrected...so she is now a killer machine...

Agreed. This change does very little to drive down the frequency of SK in the meta if Zigderpra can just res Gold Cards.

You forgot to mention Keira... poor girl lost 3 point on the potion, epidemic can kill herself and lose Quen but get aeromancy which is pretty much useless

Guest 4021160

You have my respect for this thread frbfree. However I must disagree with Letho being a loser. On the contrary it's a massive winner. Just think of scenarios where Letho banishes QG or boosted dwarves and then gets scorched (or turned into artifact).

Actually the mere fact of letho's ability is a killer of Zoltan. Dorf players, you got matched against NG ? Well tough luck.

Letho will get changed ASAP, mark my words. Maybe even changed when patch kicks in. THE Patch.

Karolis.petrikas;n9356771 said:
You have my respect for this thread frbfree. However I must disagree with Letho being a loser. On the contrary it's a massive winner. Just think of scenarios where Letho banishes QG or boosted dwarves and then gets scorched (or turned into artifact).

Actually the mere fact of letho's ability is a killer of Zoltan. Dorf players, you got matched against NG ? Well tough luck.

Letho will get changed ASAP, mark my words. Maybe even changed when patch kicks in. THE Patch.

That's fair. I don't usually play the Letho/D-Bomb cheese, so it didn't occur to me that offensively, he's a now much better play. Good looking out.

Just figured that NG will now be able to use leader ability up to 4 times (original, cahir, decoy+cahir, assire+cahir) and in Emhyrs case up to 5 times.

Not an NG player so have no idea how big it effect will be but it sounds insane.

Rammyp;n9357021 said:
Just figured that NG will now be able to use leader ability up to 4 times (original, cahir, decoy+cahir, assire+cahir) and in Emhyrs case up to 5 times.

Not an NG player so have no idea how big it effect will be but it sounds insane.

Cahir has Stubborn and can't be Decoyed. Though there are a million other ways to do this now, unless Cahir becomes Doomed.

frbfree;n9356381 said:
4. Maria Barring - The idea of having an opponent sacrifice three creatures to an Unseen Elder, just to have Milva bounce him makes me almost wanna play ST. Almost.

unseen elder gains base strength, so milva wouldn't do anything.

good analysis .... I think will be fun and a welcome challenge to play this game with this gold cards gameplay alteration, let's see !

RickMelethron;n9357261 said:
unseen elder gains base strength, so milva wouldn't do anything.

Bad example, but concept applies to others. Thanks for pointing it out so I can edit.

It's hard to tell though, for what I've heard Golds are going to change so that they're more difficult to remove or they have new mechanics that makes them keeping a little bit of value if they get destroyed instantly.

The best example is the new Yen the conjurer which seems like a great card and very cleverly designed (I mean, if you play it and hit, say, 5 targets, then your opponent probably don't want to remove her just yet because she's going to hit those 5 units again and he will almost lose as many value as if he/she just let her live).

So, I guess we can expect a lot of change about Gold cards and we might have things like Ciri returning to your hand if she's targetted by your opponent for exemple.
You never know but yeah, I fear this change will still be too extreme for the game, we will see I guess (and we will see if they keep this change until the patch hits considering the player's feedback).

frbfree;n9356381 said:
... 3. Kambi - Dear Novelty SK Players. The dream is over.

4. Three Jackdaws - "It seems daft to guard him when he's a guard!" Unless he's changed mechanically, you are just playing Villentretenmerth to scorch himself...

I guess Kambi would be reworked.

Borkh may have the Deathwish effect of another Scorch - like Yen:Con (and she deserves to be high on this list, cause the whole idea of playing her early in the round has went straight to hell, and her Deathwish won't help in that matter either). He also might be immune to Scorch. That'll teach them not to mess with The Golden Dragon.

Leaders are all Stubborn, as far as I am aware, so Elders and such have no chance to return to your hand, no matter of Decoy or Milva.

Last edited:
frbfree;n9356381 said:
2. Ciri: Dash - The only thing that makes Ciri: Dash better, is more ways to go to the graveyard. The new mechanic here makes for a lot of potential card combos that didn't exist before. I'm looking at you, Ele'yas.

This doesn't actually seem like it will be that good. You'd still need a way to actually draw ciri and play her multiple times in a round. SK can already use this strategy, they just discard her from hand instead of playing her then killing her and the deck isn't considered that competitive. In this case the strategy seems a lot worse since you have to kill off your own points in order to make it happen. Combine that with the fact your ciri can now be locked and be completely useless, plus your opponent will know to expect a big ciri at the end and just save scorch and I think ciri dash ends up losing pretty hard with this patch.

MooshieMooshie;n9358321 said:
plus your opponent will know to expect a big ciri at the end and just save scorch and I think ciri dash ends up losing pretty hard with this patch.

Actually, Ciri: Dash is a pretty good Scorch blocker (if there is anything to protect in the first place).

4RM3D;n9358421 said:
Actually, Ciri: Dash is a pretty good Scorch blocker (if there is anything to protect in the first place).

This, and with Avallac'h being targetable now, along with other options (Double Cross for example), most factions can get Ciri back without much effort.

I welcome the changes. Too much Gold cheese that cant be directly countered aside from 2 cards in the entire collection. I have faith in CDPR. Balance may be an issue at first but any OP cards will eventually be nerfed. Anyhow, above all else, its gonna be super fun figuring out all the new plays and synergies

I'm pretty sure a lot of gold cards will be completely reworked to fit better with this drastic change. A good example is the new Yennefer: Conjurer. I personally dislike this, but now every card will be susceptible to damage which makes the game much more interactive. I have mix feelings about this, can't really make up my mind until I see the full changes.

I read someone mentioning Bork got reworked to "destroy the highest other units" so he wouldn't burn himself. Haven't seen any confirmation of it though, but makes sense.

I really hope they fix Ciri, a 5 points body that needs to stay until the end of the round to give you the advantage... yeah.

Ciri: Dash will get locked a lot xD

Top Bottom