(5900x, 6900xt) i went from a very old version (1.12?) to 1.31 and it made it unplayable.

+
i made a post on reddit.com/r/cyperpunkgame
i am going to copy paste it here

hello, i'm experiencing 2 problems with the game.

1. extremely slow time to launch the game. directly through the .exe or indirectly through GOG. when it decides to launch, there is no sound. it freezes on the first "press specebar to continue" screen for a few seconds. then after that the sound finally "loads?"
  2. random CTDs.. i can play between 30 minutes to 2 hours, and the game randomly crashes to desktop. it doesn't matter when i'm doing. any missions, on a bike, by foot, in a car. getting hit by a car. turning a corner..
i have a 5900x (watercooled) paired with a 6900xt. 32gb 3600mhz cl16 ram. 1000w gold PSU. i can provide full parts list (pcpp) if necessary

i got my GPU 10 days ago. i was playing cyberpunk just fine before i realized that i was playing an older patch.. 1.12 or something, i figured i should update through GOG for the latest patch. thats when my problems started (i think).

i've tried messing around with a bunch of ingame options, limiting FPS and such. also turning off some options in AMD radeon software (trying to limit FPS and such too). doesnt seem like i can actually limit the fps. also yesterday my fps were around 95ish.. today it's around 69ish. i try to limit my fps to 59-61 range. i also tried a verify game cash from the GOG app.

idk what to try anymore.

EDIT: tried reinstalling graphics driver last version and newer version and the readeon software. tried reinstalling the game also. so far nothing worked. ill try to roll back to the oldest version of cyberpunk i can get my hands on.

EDIT2: im on 1.22 right now, everything is fine. something went wrong between 1.22 and 1.31

as my last edit says.. going back to 1.22 fixed my game. it starts almost instantly now, and the red intro screens with lots of texts have music playing now. took me for ever to download 1.22.. so im not going to try every single version up to 1.31. but i suspect there is some major bug between 1.22 and 1.31 that prevents me from enjoying the game. with the PC i have, i shouldnt have any problem running the game.

before i upgraded to 1.31, my fps was 95ish maxed graphics. when i updated to 1.31, it went down to 65ish fps.
Post automatically merged:

i was not able to press the spacebar after the loading screen.. was not able to play on 1.22 .. going to try 1.23

same problem with 1.23, not able to press spacebar, now trying 1.3

seems like the game wont accept any keyboard input or mouse clicks, no matter the game version.. idk what to do now...

verified game files with GOG, game now takes my inputs. and 1.3 runs smooth. now updating to 1.31 and checking if it's gonna crap itself

Last edited:
Verifying game files was a good idea. I hope it works.

If not, CDPR support can be reached here:
it works until the game crashes. when it crashes, everything is back to where it was again. no sound on red intro/loading wall of texts. random freeze on first "press spacebar to continue". fps is cut from 90ish to 60ish. and then random crashes here and there.

it works until the game crashes. when it crashes, everything is back to where it was again. no sound on red intro/loading wall of texts. random freeze on first "press spacebar to continue". fps is cut from 90ish to 60ish. and then random crashes here and there.
Mind me asking but, when was the last time that you cleaned the insides of your desktop/laptop? You mentioned that you just got a new GPU. That wouldn't happen to be in the range of an RTX 3080?

Mind me asking but, when was the last time that you cleaned the insides of your desktop/laptop? You mentioned that you just got a new GPU. That wouldn't happen to be in the range of an RTX 3080?
i got a 6900xt. my PC is clean. filters and all. temperatures are all OK. like i said, a temporary fix is to delete some user files and settings files in the "engine" and "r6" folders. after that i can open gog and do a verify and repair of files. and everything is back to normal..

some settings are probably saved in those files just before or when the crash happens? idk it's my guess... my PC is worth 4000$ .. it's a great build and im proud of it. i dont have any trouble with any other games.

alright, so if i start the game after a crash, without a verify game files, it craps itself. i dont have to delete any of the game files. i just tested it. today is bad, really bad. it crashes every 10-15 minutes or so..

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't see any reason for the game to modify any files other than the save (s), during the game (if you don't change any settings during the game).
The only thing that could, in my opinion, is : mods

So there are mods installed or that would have been installed before ?
Simply removing the mods without fully "reinstalling" the game does not necessarily remove all traces of the mods. Mods can modifying "permanently" game files and also can remains in save files.

If not, have you try to launch the game directly from the .exe ?
Or a more radical solution, completely uninstall the game (no remaining folder/file anywhere, just keep elsewhere your save files) and try on a new save in 1.31.

i got a 6900xt. my PC is clean. filters and all. temperatures are all OK. like i said, a temporary fix is to delete some user files and settings files in the "engine" and "r6" folders. after that i can open gog and do a verify and repair of files. and everything is back to normal..

some settings are probably saved in those files just before or when the crash happens? idk it's my guess... my PC is worth 4000$ .. it's a great build and im proud of it. i dont have any trouble with any other games.

alright, so if i start the game after a crash, without a verify game files, it craps itself. i dont have to delete any of the game files. i just tested it. today is bad, really bad. it crashes every 10-15 minutes or so..
Mighty strange issue you're experiencing...

Have you tried to delete the Cyberpunk 2077 folder entirely in Gog, instead of uninstalling through Gog?
Have you tried to deselect, 'Read only', in Properties of the Cyberpunk 2077 folder, also for all sub folders and files in it?
What exactly do you call a "crash"?

1) The game "exiting" to desktop,
2) Your PC instantly shutting down or,
3) your PC suddenly freezing up?

Can you play longer the first time you play after turning on your PC?

no mods. im starting to think it could be GPU... ive been busy with work. when i have time i troubleshoot.. im also talking with people from AMD support while the RMA request is being looked at..

i'm having so much trouble with cyberpunk. the game doesnt launch when i click play.. it takes some time. way too long tbh.. and i see the process in task manager just sitting there not doing anything in the background processes tab..

when it crashes after 10-15 minutes, it's a CTD.

the thing is... im having so much issues with other games too. i'm having massive artifacting in RDR2, borderlands 3.. 3dmark timerspy.. witcher 3 just crashes as soon as i move my character or cam in game..

this is a nightmare.. waited so long to get my hands on a 6900xt.. and it looks like it's a faulty one. DOA

the thing is... im having so much issues with other games too. i'm having massive artifacting in RDR2, borderlands 3.. 3dmark timerspy.. witcher 3 just crashes as soon as i move my character or cam in game..

this is a nightmare.. waited so long to get my hands on a 6900xt.. and it looks like it's a faulty one. DOA

Unfortunately, that really does sound like something is very off with the gpu 🙁.

Did you try taking it out and plugging it in again ? Or maybe it’s some bios setting the gpu is struggling with. But sadly I have no clue what that could be.

Anyhow, hopefully AMD has an idea, or you quickly get a replacement.

no mods. im starting to think it could be GPU... ive been busy with work. when i have time i troubleshoot.. im also talking with people from AMD support while the RMA request is being looked at..

i'm having so much trouble with cyberpunk. the game doesnt launch when i click play.. it takes some time. way too long tbh.. and i see the process in task manager just sitting there not doing anything in the background processes tab..

when it crashes after 10-15 minutes, it's a CTD.

Unfortunately, that really does sound like something is very off with the gpu 🙁.

Did you try taking it out and plugging it in again ? Or maybe it’s some bios setting the gpu is struggling with. But sadly I have no clue what that could be.

Anyhow, hopefully AMD has an idea, or you quickly get a replacement.
Almost certainly. Artifacting occurring for multiple titles is a good sign that there's something wrong with the actual processor on the card. There's not much chance that it's anything else. Fortunately, many manufacturers will offer automatically included guarantees and warranties for this sort of thing! Hopefully, you'll only need to pay for shipping.

In the meantime, you should still be able to use the 2D functionality on the card with no issues. I'd avoid 3D programs in the meantime, though. This sort of issue could be anything from the silicon crystal matrix being physically damaged, to some part of the processor being physically separated from the card. That's where surges and fires come from.

Almost certainly. Artifacting occurring for multiple titles is a good sign that there's something wrong with the actual processor on the card. There's not much chance that it's anything else. Fortunately, many manufacturers will offer automatically included guarantees and warranties for this sort of thing! Hopefully, you'll only need to pay for shipping.

In the meantime, you should still be able to use the 2D functionality on the card with no issues. I'd avoid 3D programs in the meantime, though. This sort of issue could be anything from the silicon crystal matrix being physically damaged, to some part of the processor being physically separated from the card. That's where surges and fires come from.
i could take the 6900xt and plug it in my gf's PC.. she has a 6800xt with a 3800x.. im just not confident enough it's not gonna cause harm to her system. i'm not sure if i'd have to uninstall her drivers and install the 6900's drivers.

anyway, they only answer on workdays, so i cant do anything during the weekend. i'll just relax and take it easy.

hope you're both having a great weekend. will update when ever i get some news

i could take the 6900xt and plug it in my gf's PC.. she has a 6800xt with a 3800x.. im just not confident enough it's not gonna cause harm to her system. i'm not sure if i'd have to uninstall her drivers and install the 6900's drivers.

anyway, they only answer on workdays, so i cant do anything during the weekend. i'll just relax and take it easy.

hope you're both having a great weekend. will update when ever i get some news
I wouldn't -- especially if you think the card may be damaged. What you'd want to do is put her video card in your system and see if it works. If that clears up the issue you're seeing, then you can be pretty confident that it's a problem with the GPU. If, however, the problems still happen, then it would likely mean that your GPU is fine, but there's some sort of issue on the motherboard.

I would definitely not intentionally install a part I believed might be broken into a completely healthy system.

Top Bottom