6 month game retrospective...lets talk

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
So as far as I can tell from the myriad references and allusions dropped throughout the game world and the quests, the fundamental question Cyberpunk looks at the importance of having a soul, what the soul actually is, and its transience. It is not meant to be permanent. It is a fleeting moment in a much wider universe that is meant to be treasured. And V, in every ending except possibly the Arasaka ending, discovers this.

In some ways I'm surprised that any of the endings let V live at all.

Yes, it's not to everyone's tastes, but it's extremely ambitious for a computer game (cf Blade Runner as actually intended by its director).

I think many who played the game, mentally only had a similar journey of the devil ending. The game's whole concept is "what's the meaning of life?"

but many player's only got to the same mindstate of V at the devil ending, Mad to be stuck in mortal form, chasing longer life without answering, longer for what?

While some others were more annoyed with the options presented for how V chose to live in the end.

Regardless, its a pretty deep focus, and they developed this theme pretty well, the interaction between player and developer. through the game is well done. Thats why the mileage varies so much from player to player. We actually are all playing very different games. Thats great art I think.

Nope :(
1.5K Hrs and I restart a Street Kid run. I enjoy it a lot and have a lot of fun. I watch all the games in the store, none really attracts me and those I already have seem bland (Skyrim/Fallout/RDR/GTA5/...even TW3). Maybe ME - LE could be the game to take a CP break (even if I already have the 3).
I'm waiting for future DLCs/Content while playing CP.
If you don't have fun, don't play (seem logic but a game is here only for fun).

PS: In my opinion, 874h for the cost of CP, it's not a bad deal (much better than my 10Hrs on Yakuza LAD) :)
I agree on the 874 hours being good value.

I played probably 40-50 hours, mostly with different characters through the first act. Once Johnny got in my character's head, I couldn't take it for more than half an hour or so. Nonetheless, I think I got my money's worth.

The bigger issue for CDPR isn't so much about how many hours someone puts into the game they already purchased, but whether it left them with a sufficient impression to purchase more of it in the future. In my case that's a definite no, unless mods progress sufficiently to render the main story irrelevant. Otherwise, I'll just hang on and see what CP2080 looks like, or whatever they call the next game.

listening to all of you I've taken a step back and re-evaluated my POV and I believe a lot of my disappointment stems from the early commercials presenting in game content/abilities that I wanted to do... that combined with the narration of these commercials spun a fiction in my mind that hearkened back to the old book game brought to digital..I know a lot of you are going to say this is that...but it's not it's the foundation only missing the details that separate a grind shooter from a game that had infinite possibly... I know there has to be limits of a video game ...but this has all the
work of the book game but none of the look what I've done of it...dark world check, cyber warfare check,moving up changing /your station nope,
rags to riches nope
I've worked too hard to still be a dying,poor,nobody...NC has always been the city where you can become something more if ya got the balls and the luck.
this games narrative presents a very compelling story...but left out the reason to play Cyberpunk..instead making it a oh god I'm dying motvation that leads ..nowhere....empty

listening to all of you I've taken a step back and re-evaluated my POV and I believe a lot of my disappointment stems from the early commercials presenting in game content/abilities that I wanted to do... that combined with the narration of these commercials spun a fiction in my mind that hearkened back to the old book game brought to digital..I know a lot of you are going to say this is that...but it's not it's the foundation only missing the details that separate a grind shooter from a game that had infinite possibly... I know there has to be limits of a video game ...but this has all the
work of the book game but none of the look what I've done of it...dark world check, cyber warfare check,moving up changing /your station nope,
rags to riches nope
I've worked too hard to still be a dying,poor,nobody...NC has always been the city where you can become something more if ya got the balls and the luck.
this games narrative presents a very compelling story...but left out the reason to play Cyberpunk..instead making it a oh god I'm dying motvation that leads ..nowhere....empty
Certainly i think marketing it as being all things to all men was a mistake (and from the sounds of it they've acknowledged that). To me, it's very obviously a game that is heavily driven by narrative and stands and falls on its narrative (Witcher 3 was the same). I like that kind of game and was pleasantly surprised to find they'd succeeded (to my mind) at that. But, having looked at the marketing, it wasn't necessarily sold as that and I'm not sure what expectation I'd have had if I'd followed the marketing before it came out.

"6 MONTH GAME RETROSPECTIVE...LETS TALK"

After playing the game for 6 months... (Has it already been 6 months? Wow, how time flies. Remember the day I pre-ordered it, 10 days before launch, like yesterday), over 1.500 hours, starting Act 2 of my 15th playthrough, am literally flatlining for some new content.

I know CDPR said that they want to tackle all issues first, but to my accounts there'll always be issues. CP77 still takes up most of my free time as it never bores, but sure hope for some new content soon. Especially city expansions, and new vehicles, even if it was only to (temporary) sate our appetite.

All the discussion about hours in the game got me thinking, I've put about 80 odd hours into Cyberpunk and I'm 55 hours into my current playthrough.
There are plenty of games over the years that I've spent my hard earned money on that I have barely played, either because I didn't enjoy them or something better came along and I forgot about them.

I was trying to work out how many games I've spent more hours on than Cyberpunk and actually there aren't that many! I'm not counting things like Gran Tourismo 2, Medieval 2 Total War, Tony Hawks PS, or Elite those are measured in months not hours, and were completely perfect with no flaws, anyone who says different needs help ;) .

Just games of a "similar" (without being too OCD about it) vein. If I want to be pedantic then.
Final fantasy 7 - tedious combat and chocobo breeding
GTA San Andreas - horrible gunplay, glitches, load lag.
Minecraft - Crap story, repetitive npc dialogue
Skyrim - quest breaking bugs, terrible storyline, clipping errors, overheated my ps3 until it died of YLOD..... twice
Fallout 4 - formulaic, disappointing graphics, grueling grind for mats.
Witcher 3 - looooooong story & cutscenes, stupid storm trees, annoying dodge mechanic.

Would I replay any of the above and would I recommend them to others as important games yes (Tried to get my son to play the original FF7.... it hasn't aged well).

With all of those games at certain points I became bored of them or disillusioned with them, they all have mechanics that annoyed me or elements that I felt were lacking.

Cyberpunk to my mind deserves to be on that list and yes it has many issues, but it is a great game, I've never spent so much time on a forum before so this game has obviously had some effect on me. I know part of it is my attachment to the PnP game but CP2077 had definitely bitten me quite hard.

I re-read my initial impressions on this forum before posting, and I largely still feel the same, I was wrong about the open world, there is more depth than I'd found but I still wish there was more radiant/unscripted content. Also since the perks are largely fixed one of my major gripes has been dealt with.

I didn't get the game I anticipated, but I am really pleased with the game I'm playing. CDPR made a massive mistake with the launch, but they've been punished by their investors, the press and us.

@wyzman001 what you describe in your OP sounds a lot like burnout, 876hrs over 5 months is a lot of time to invest in anything! I work in a seasonal job that means 60+ hr weeks and by the end of the 6 month stint I'm usually questioning my life-choices and feeling somewhat bereft. You need a break that's all!

Last edited:

5 means mediocre. Not the masterpiece and wonder some are saying it is.

Refund argument is flawed too for i and my brother for example did not refund but we are very displeased with the game.
My point exactly, but hey, if CDPR likes better to use refunds to measure their performance, I'll respect that next time :)

Totally agree :)
Except for this point :
I hope you talk about Minecraft Story Mode, because Minecraft Java (the original...).
Yes, i confirm :
The story is... Oh no, there is no story at all.
The dialogs with NPC... Yes, it could be (very) difficult to discuss with a Villager (if anyone understands what they say, i want to know, it could be interesting).
(Me, i played it in "Ilmango's Mode", no need a story or dialogs... It's just for the pleasure to build stupidly gigantic (and useless) farms)

Edit : Speaking of game time/money, Minecraft is the best gaming video investment I have ever made. Months of play (literally) and even almost 10 years later, there are still updates and new content (obviously free).

Last edited:
Totally agree :)
Except for this point :

I hope you talk about Minecraft Story Mode, because Minecraft Java (the original...).
Yes, i confirm :
The story is... Oh no, there is no story at all.
The dialogs with NPC... Yes, it could be (very) difficult to discuss with a Villager (if anyone understands what they say, i want to know, it could be interesting).
(Me, i played it in "Ilmango's Mode", no need a story or dialogs... It's just for the pleasure to build gigantic (and useless) farms)
My first experience of Minecraft (java) was very short, like 20 mins, I didn't get it at all! :ROFLMAO:

My first experience of Minecraft (java) was very short, like 20 mins, I didn't get it at all! :ROFLMAO:
Off-topic :
I'm not an architect, so the first time it was a bit the same :)
But when I saw what it was possible to do technically (just with redstone logic circuits, pistons and other blocks). It was just mind-blowing (watch Ilmango's videos Specially SciCraft).
Seeing an entire mountain disappear thanks to an automatic TNT machine or a ridiculously efficient gold farm on the nether roof, it's just pure happiness for me :D

Be it 5 months or 6.. I feel that the sheer weight of analysis, critique, complaint, whingeing, and outright saturation in media of anger, resentment and consumer 'outrage' this jinxed game brought upon itself or received in the early days should really have faded a great deal by now. But, it still seems to colour much of the debate and retrospective review. It is, as they say, what it is... 'que sera..' and all that.. digital 'warts 'n all'

I'm merely a youngster in playthrough time, says Steam, with a modest 208 hours and as I have probably remarked too many times before in other threads this mostly consists of exploration, digital 'loitering' and general immersion in the 2.5 dimensional entity that is Night City. Such a wonderfully detailed but mostly empty shell, a lovely movie set, devoid of the degree of interaction that most players seem to want nevertheless has gripped my attention in an immersive visual overdose at least; a place I've thoroughly enjoyed just 'being' in my TPP modded third party avatar's playground.

I'm not playing the linear story and I've discussed this before, so won't repeat reasoning, but suffice to say I've not yet even done The Heist (so Jackie W lives still in my little world...) but I've probably got 60 mods in the game now (much like Skyrim where I have 300) can buy, ride, wear and own anything I like, use consoles and codes to get cash and all the best stuff, enjoy the whole 'Blade Runner' feel as much as I can in imitation of my preferred 'open world' gaming style. I've used mods to fly, open up the map, colour anything I want, add NPC fashions, create a holo wardrobe and race around Night City on neon wheeled bikes before retiring to the penthouse mansion. It's all amazingly good fun, listening to the hang drum players in markets, dancing at a few nightclubs using in-game anims, and generally parading around with katana and big guns, and top level cyberware.

So much of CP2077 is what I wanted when I saw the adverts; it's the flashy vast detailed world ( and it even has Roy Batty and his dove on a rainy roof) with speed, violence, fashion, and a teeny tad of (censored) digital sex appeal. I don't care a jot about pixel 'relationships' but I do crave everyday interaction; pick up objects, move stuff, sit on seats and surfaces, eat noodles at street stalls. drink cocktails at the bar (in 3rd person), import new custom cars and clothes to the game, ride the monorail, get flying craft, furnish my apartment and all manner of other wishful 'lifestyle' add-ons. We didn't get that, and I wouldn't care to speculate that we ever will in DLCs paid or free, but there's no doubt that as a movie backdrop the creation of Night City and the sprawling lands around it are a spectacular vista, but a hollow reminder not to expect too much from a game.

I find myself wondering how they might ever make a multiplayer online persistent world from this game as with such a confined linear story and such 'endings' it would need to be almost an entirely new piece of work with altogether new activities, we can't all play 'V' doing missions the way it is in this game. It would need to be a real open world and have 'boss runs' for teams etc. Like many I suffered disappointment with this product but as a PC player with a top rig I had little or no performance issues other than each Hotfix and Patch breaking Cyber Engine Tweaks (CET) and my mods and requiring re-installs.

I try to avoid repeating or prolonging those early days of 'anti' reaction that followed the launch and believe that those who see merit in this title and love the concept can play on, and that at the very least the tech issues may be sorted to allow them to do so. If this game ends up a 'dead end' or becomes a fan relaunch like Hellgate in the future I would probably still play as there is nothing like it in a cyberpunk environment, and flaws notwithstanding, it's the nearest to a Blade Runner style environment with excitement and action that we have at this time.

This sector's closed to ground traffic. What are you doing here?

Off-topic :
I'm not an architect, so the first time it was a bit the same :)
But when I saw what it was possible to do technically (just with redstone logic circuits, pistons and other blocks). It was just mind-blowing (watch Ilmango's videos Specially SciCraft).
Seeing an entire mountain disappear thanks to an automatic TNT machine or a ridiculously efficient gold farm on the nether roof, it's just pure happiness for me :D
I couldn't agree more, minecraft in my opinion is hands down the greatest game ever made. I really put it in my list to make a point somewhat tongue in cheek.
"Imagine a finger, pointing away to the moon. Concentrate on the finger and you will miss all the heavenly glory" - Bruce Lee

400 hrs in for me. Here is the long-lasting impression of CP2077 minus the release emotion.

1) Studio needs to moderate/flat out control its marketing department
2) Graphical engine and the tools they have created for the engine will take this title into the stratosphere with future iterations. Game is beautiful.
3) I enjoyed the game although I would like this ip to be less linear in future titles.
4) Make the netrunner playthough far more unique than just a glorified tech mage spell caster.
5) Gunplay is really fun but maybe NPCS require more hitboxes, more HP and the AI reactions need so much work.

All the discussion about hours in the game got me thinking, I've put about 80 odd hours into Cyberpunk and I'm 55 hours into my current playthrough.
There are plenty of games over the years that I've spent my hard earned money on that I have barely played, either because I didn't enjoy them or something better came along and I forgot about them.

I was trying to work out how many games I've spent more hours on than Cyberpunk and actually there aren't that many! I'm not counting things like Gran Tourismo 2, Medieval 2 Total War, Tony Hawks PS, or Elite those are measured in months not hours, and were completely perfect with no flaws, anyone who says different needs help ;) .

Just games of a "similar" (without being too OCD about it) vein. If I want to be pedantic then.
Final fantasy 7 - tedious combat and chocobo breeding
GTA San Andreas - horrible gunplay, glitches, load lag.
Skyrim - quest breaking bugs, terrible storyline, clipping errors, overheated my ps3 until it died of YLOD..... twice
Fallout 4 - formulaic, disappointing graphics, grueling grind for mats.
Witcher 3 - looooooong story & cutscenes, stupid storm trees, annoying dodge mechanic.

Would I replay any of the above and would I recommend them to others as important games yes (Tried to get my son to play the original FF7.... it hasn't aged well).

With all of those games at certain points I became bored of them or disillusioned with them, they all have mechanics that annoyed me or elements that I felt were lacking.

Cyberpunk to my mind deserves to be on that list and yes it has many issues, but it is a great game, I've never spent so much time on a forum before so this game has obviously had some effect on me. I know part of it is my attachment to the PnP game but CP2077 had definitely bitten me quite hard.

I re-read my initial impressions on this forum before posting, and I largely still feel the same, I was wrong about the open world, there is more depth than I'd found but I still wish there was more radiant/unscripted content. Also since the perks are largely fixed one of my major gripes has been dealt with.

I didn't get the game I anticipated, but I am really pleased with the game I'm playing. CDPR made a massive mistake with the launch, but they've been punished by their investors, the press and us.

@wyzman001 what you describe in your OP sounds a lot like burnout, 876hrs over 5 months is a lot of time to invest in anything! I work in a seasonal job that means 60+ hr weeks and by the end of the 6 month stint I'm usually questioning my life-choices and feeling somewhat bereft. You need a break that's all!

I appreciate your concern and advice on burnout...lol I'm a hard charger always have been ...I thinking in the premise of effort vs reward
this game has a lot off effort potential and some people find that to be reward in itself...I'm just not one of them
If ya work hard you should be paid well so you can buy nice things( basic life I know ) CP77 gets a lot of sweat equity but pays poorly
so better phrasing.... I was hoping CP77 would be one of those games "measured in months" as you said

it depends what the 5.2/10 means.

If thats a rating of how good something is from 1-10 thats bad

if its a rating of how many people liked it out of 10, then it literally means 52% of people asked had a positive feeling about the product.

steam reviews, rotten tomatoes, google etc are a % of likes vs dislikes.

all metrics I have seen of like versus dislike has the game clearly as a majority liked.
5.2(out of ten) is a average rating on Metacritic between PC, PS4, Xbox One. Therefore conform your logic Cyberpunk 2077 is bad.
Witcher 3 has an average of 9.26 on Metacritic between PC, PS4, Xbox One. Therefore conform your logic Witcher 3 is very good.

The steam accounts only for 2.5 % of people who bought the game. So its not a good measure.

all intangible...yeah ha did that but other than a dialogue or a radio announcement no changes
I'm referring to in game changes or acquisition...none of the world of V or the people therein change in any way nor does V's value
properties...etc... your still the same poor bastard you started out as so other than the "player's" memories did it ever really happen?
not picking a fight ...I just don't think your seeing what I'm pointing at or we just disagree( that would be called life)

that goes back to my initial point. The game's timeline is 3-4 weeks. what type of huge changes would you expect to see in the game world in that time frame? The only possible changes to see in that timeframe are personal ones/smaller and Vs relationships do change drastically in these 2-3 weeks. There are a lot of things that change btw.

You want to see the Larger changes you made reflected outside of time skips. Thats not possible.

thats like you started a company 2 weeks ago, and being annoyed you aren't in Forbes yet.

I get what you are saying, but for what you are talking about, the game would have to cover at least 6months-year. V was just starting to become a "legend" by the end.
5.2(out of ten) is a average rating on Metacritic between PC, PS4, Xbox One. Therefore conform your logic Cyberpunk 2077 is bad.
Witcher 3 has an average of 9.26 on Metacritic between PC, PS4, Xbox One. Therefore conform your logic Witcher 3 is very good.

The steam accounts only for 2.5 % of people who bought the game. So its not a good measure.

where did you get your numbers?

if steam is only 2.5%, and has 2-3 million accounts, that means the total sales is 80-90 million which I don't think is accurate.

also it has 30k reviews on pc with an average of 85%
10k on ps4 which at average 3.6
4k on xbone with 4.9 rating.

that still means of their sample the vast majority of people like the game.

also averaging ratings isn't valuable for determining how good a game is, if the people who don't like it rate it extremely low.

based on this data, more people like it than hate it, about 70%

the people who are positive on it tend to like it alot, the people who don't like it tend to hate it with a passion

and the majority of people who hate it are not pc gamers.

which suggests the Main problem is either bugs, or some basic difference between pc and console players.

regardless even your data show about 70% of players like the game. so you are still incorrect that most people don't like the game.

Last edited:
I make it a point to play the games I critique. However, Ive not been able to play a second playthrough since I just remember all the sidemissions and gigs from the first playthrough so I get bored of them quickly. Not to mention theres elements that continuously keep annoying me (such as the lack of a lightsource, lack of cybernetics on sale, etc). What annoys me most is how just SMALL improvements could make a huge difference but CDPR seems adamant on not fixing these things. The main story is unrecoverable though.

Retrospective, nothing much has changed in the game during this period (the bugs were never my issue), so my initial opinion stands. Still "not recommended" on steam. I severely dislike the story, the way it is handled, and how the game outside the main story is such a tack-on. I hate how the game doesn't get even minor immersive elements right. I set my expectations according to industry standards and CDPR advertising and was very disappointed.

Theres never been a game I looked forward to more, and which disappointed me more (maybe not counting the world of darkness MMO which was just canceled after years of development).

[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
liars.jpg

Here's a quote from official FAQ updated on April 15th 2021:

Q: Didn’t you test old-gen consoles to keep tabs on the experience?
A:
We did. As it turned out, our testing did not show many of the crashes you experienced while playing the game. As we got closer to launch, we saw significant improvements each and every day, and we really believed we’d deliver in the final day zero update.

It's been roughly 150 days since the release. The game should be beyond perfect by now if the crew was able to achieve SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENTS each and every day.

I still haven't finished the game. Overall progression: 7%. Never left Watson. Waiting for patches AND IMPROVEMENTS. I refuse to play an unfinished game. Other games have bugs and glitches but Cyberpunk has them all! I can't remember another game that would incorporate all the bugs we ever saw, at the same time. You name it, Cyberpunk did it.

I have no problem with deleted content and promises not met. Heck, I can even forgive them the fact that they don't even call it an RPG on the Steam and GOG store page anymore! But if you decide to remove content, shallow down your game in order to save time and resources, for F sakes make sure that what you left in the game is absolutely bulletproof!

1620890547439.png

Quality WHERE? Have you even played your own game?!

But you know what is the absolute worst in this situation? The fact that some people are defending the current state of the game, giving CD Projekt an excuse to NOT improve the game. To NOT work on further patches and improvements. Buecause why would they? Millions of people will pay money for an unfinished product? That is THE BEST that could happen to any company!! Look at EA Games, look at Ubisoft!! That's how they made their success.

1. Promise people everything in the world.
2. Gradually backtrack from what you've previously promissed.
3. Let old trailers and interviews still circulate and build the hype.
4. Release the game and apologise for its poor quality immediately after.
5. Promise people that improvements and patches are coming.
6. Keep addressing only the easiest issues AND in the easiest manner.
7. Let people get bored with the game over time.
8. Stop supporting the game because there is no interest anymore.
9. Anounce new, exciting project.
10. Promise people everything in the world.
11. Rince, repeat.
12. Infinite profit.

A method of two steps forward, one step back. Wait and see how The Witcher 3 Ray Tracing gets released with all the bugs in the world because they realised half way through production that converting the game into a brand new and different engine brings in new and exciting issues. I wonder if that will also be OK with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom