6 month game retrospective...lets talk

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
You sure did took your time my man, I only managed to enjoy Cyberpunk for around 19 hours before and by the time I hit the 19 hour mark, I was basically "limping" in the game, as soon as I've uncovered how shallow this game actually is, I gave up on it.....that was back in december, now, I'm still waiting for the game to get better, but this might take somewhere around 1 more year.

6 Months and no news about what the DLC is going to be, and from what I've seen nothing that is really worth the money invested will come in these DLC / Expansions.

It's funny, today I got a notification from my antivirus, saying: We have detected applications which you have not used for a long time. And there was Cyberpunk. So I have become interested in the subject. How should Cyberpunk be right now? And I've seen that currently 16,000 people are playing Skyrim SE, while Cyberpunk 9000 is playing. I think that's the best summary. A game that hasn't been on the market for a year can't beat a game from 12 years ago.
I think Cyberpunk 2077 is the biggest failure in the history of video games today.
For CD project red to continue spending resources and time on this game, I think they making holes in his parachute. They should abandon the project and start new ones. I think they cannot fixed the game. If they can fix it, nobody will remember Cyberpunk.
[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
6 Months and no news about what the DLC is going to be, and from what I've seen nothing that is really worth the money invested will come in these DLC / Expansions.

6 month and they are nearly realizing that they cant fix it on old gens they made a big amount of money with - so they are staying on an edge now... how to improve pc and next gen or even bring new "content" - if it wont work on old gens? - the greedy decision to release it on ps4/xbox troubles them now and is holding back the whole progress for everything else. so what should they do? just ditch old gen and get flamed again? or releasing stuff they know it wont work on every plattform?

It's funny, today I got a notification from my antivirus, saying: We have detected applications which you have not used for a long time. And there was Cyberpunk. So I have become interested in the subject. How should Cyberpunk be right now? And I've seen that currently 16,000 people are playing Skyrim SE, while Cyberpunk 9000 is playing. I think that's the best summary. A game that hasn't been on the market for a year can't beat a game from 12 years ago.
I think Cyberpunk 2077 is the biggest failure in the history of video games today.
For CD project red to continue spending resources and time on this game, I think they making holes in his parachute. They should abandon the project and start new ones. I think they cannot fixed the game. If they can fix it, nobody will remember Cyberpunk.
[...]
You're not right, I WILL REMEMBER CYBERPUNK. Oh, this maximalism.
Post automatically merged:

CDPR fixed W1, W2, W3 and 101% they will fix and improve Cyberpunk 2077. They'll never give up, choom.

CDPR fixed W1, W2, W3 and 101% they will fix and improve Cyberpunk 2077. They'll never give up, choom.
so show them the messias who can improve this game on old gen hardware my friend ^^ - its not that they mostprobably dont want to but just cant do it on outdated hardware. old gen is the issue, the issue they made a lot of cash with but cant handle it in the long term. if this game would be pc exclusive - the situation wouldnt be "that bad" how soever.

[...]
I've no idea whether those figures are good or bad but at the end of the day cyberpunk is a story based game. I bought it as a story based game, genuinely loved it as a story based game, and once I had completed it as such I left it behind (I will occasionally pop in to drive around because it's so atmospheric). But that is entirely normal for me; I wasn't expecting anything else. So, five months on from when the majority of players bought it, I'd be rather surprised to see huge numbers.

What is a shame is that, it having been marketed in a "touch every base" manner, people are now filling the Internet with shit talk about how it doesn't do X, Y and Z. A lot of that talk is justified based on people's expectations, yes, but I found it an exceptionally good and extraordinarily atmospheric narrative game.

People after that type of experience may never play it now because it is getting badmouthed for reasons totally divorced from that. And, seen as that type of game, it really, really deserves to be played. Imperfect though it may be, the work that got put into it bleeds out of its every pore.

PS I will never understand Skyrim. I found it empty, generic, repetitive from about two hours in. It has a dull story that expects you to sympathise with racists, badly written cardboard cutout characters, and a total lack (to me) of visual or quest variety, except the Blackreach, which felt to me like Bethesda saying "hey, what's even more suffocating than doing yet another dungeon underground; hey, what about a really massive dungeon underground but with pretty much nothing at all in it? Throw in some glowing mushrooms; no one'll notice.". It also has some of the most embarrassing bugs I've ever seen in a game that ruin such trifles as *the conclusion of the game's main story* that Bethesda never bothered to fix.

But clearly Skyrim has a very, very dedicated playerbase.

Last edited:
[...]
If my antivirus program checks when I've played Skyrim it will automatically uninstall it without a warning.

What I really don't get about the problems with old gen consoles is that the game worked okay for me ony base PS4. Of course, especially during the first days, before they implemented the patches that got rid of the washed out graphics, playing on PS4 was really not nice. But then it got playable and actually looked quite nice at times. Of course, there still were crashes every few hours...so, for me the technical experience was subpar and annoying, but it was playable.
Whereas other people using the same comsole (vanilla PS4) couldn't even play the game because they experienced constant crashes, the weirdest gamebreaking bugs etc. How is that even possible? It's not like with PCs with hundreds of possible hardware combinations. Where do these discrepancies come from? And if the game was playble for me, you'd think they'd be able to get the game to a point were all console players at least get a working game...
And then they could just drop the old-gen version improvement and focus on next-gen. If this game is supposed to get played in years to come, it really should get optimised for next-gen and then get some new content before everyone moves on.

I've no idea whether those figures are good or bad but at the end of the day cyberpunk is a story based game. I bought it as a story based game, genuinely loved it as a story based game, and once I had completed it as such I left it behind (I will occasionally pop in to drive around because it's so atmospheric). But that is entirely normal for me; I wasn't expecting anything else. So, five months on from when the majority of players bought it, I'd be rather surprised to see huge numbers.

What is a shame is that, it having been marketed in a "touch every base" manner, people are now filling the Internet with shit talk about how it doesn't do X, Y and Z. A lot of that talk is justified based on people's expectations, yes, but I found it an exceptionally good and extraordinarily atmospheric narrative game.

People after that type of experience may never play it now because it is getting badmouthed for reasons totally divorced from that. And, seen as that type of game, it really, really deserves to be played. Imperfect though it may be, the work that got put into it bleeds out of its every pore.

PS I will never understand Skyrim. I found it empty, generic, repetitive from about two hours in. It has a dull story that expects you to sympathise with racists, badly written cardboard cutout characters, and a total lack (to me) of visual or quest variety, except the Blackreach, which felt to me like Bethesda saying "hey, what's even more suffocating than doing yet another dungeon underground; hey, what about a really massive dungeon underground but with pretty much nothing at all in it? Throw in some glowing mushrooms; no one'll notice.". It also has some of the most embarrassing bugs I've ever seen in a game that ruin such trifles as *the conclusion of the game's main story* that Bethesda never bothered to fix.

Skyrim has an extremely dedicated mod community, and high functioning mod tools. It also has a bunch dlcs and expansions enhancing and expanding game play.

Skyrim was entertaining to me for exploration, but I never had enough interest in the story to complete it. And thats fine. But this game entertained me longer, and was more interesting to me while playing.
[...]

6 month after, Cyberpunk still feels weird.

Sure, as said billions times now "Cyberpunk is an action-adventure, story based game".

Yep, the story is great, and feels like a nice movie.

Now, why trying to play the big guy with the open world?

Would've Cyberpunk been just what it should've been as of now, a story based game, they could've reduced the scope and deliver and way better mastered game.

A longer game too probably, with much more focus on choice and consequence.

They wanted a mass effect? Give us a mass effect!

Here, they threw a random open world on top of it, but it's botchered and feels like even the game itself doesn't control much sometimes.

I've played many open world game with a solid story... But at least they bothered to deliver a believable world. A decent car traffic, a believable police system, etc...

Cyberpunk should've sticked itself to a smaller scope, 6month later it still feels like they tried to add a "GTA" freedom, and I mean, I LOVE what they did!!!, The city is beautiful and engaging, but unlike GTA (where you still can roam the game after you finished it to cause havok and have fun), here it feels boring.
Not much to do, and cops are...
Well you know what I mean...

I don't know how they can perfect it now, that would almost mean to rebuild some part of the game, etc...

Cyberpunk isn't that bad of a game but between the expectations, the advertising hype... It sure doesn't offer what we expected, but it has it's good side nonetheless. It just feels like it's either rushed or uncontroled and thrown at you like "deal with that and don't ask me why" (I mean, they had testers, they even made pictures of themselves playing the game weeks before release... Don't tell me no one there noticed the problems we noticed day one)

IMO, Cyberpunk 2 will probably be closer to what we expected (if they learn from their mistakes...).

Cyberpunk 2077 feels like a nice Beta or a Blueprint for a really good game, but as is, I doubt they can make much to transform that game into what they first sold us. It just lacks a lil "something" that could really change it into something good.

What I really don't get about the problems with old gen consoles is that the game worked okay for me ony base PS4. Of course, especially during the first days, before they implemented the patches that got rid of the washed out graphics, playing on PS4 was really not nice. But then it got playable and actually looked quite nice at times. Of course, there still were crashes every few hours...so, for me the technical experience was subpar and annoying, but it was playable.
Whereas other people using the same comsole (vanilla PS4) couldn't even play the game because they experienced constant crashes, the weirdest gamebreaking bugs etc. How is that even possible? It's not like with PCs with hundreds of possible hardware combinations. Where do these discrepancies come from? And if the game was playble for me, you'd think they'd be able to get the game to a point were all console players at least get a working game...
And then they could just drop the old-gen version improvement and focus on next-gen. If this game is supposed to get played in years to come, it really should get optimised for next-gen and then get some new content before everyone moves on.
I'd guess that even if the hardware is the same, if you start giving people choice in everything from what they wear, to what weapons they use, to the order in which people do quests, and the objects they carry, unexpected issues can arise out of nowhere in many different ways. But, yes, I agree that the difference between players on the consoles was surprising.

We play games to escape/enhance our reality, which most of the time is mundane, trivial, boring and full of routine. Realistic doesn't automatically mean fun or exciting. CP77 embraces technology, but it lacks feeling of discovery of simple traveling and talking to a person. Maybe it needed more personal interaction with fixers and other NPCs. More lore via conversation. It's a lot more interesting to sit and chat with a bunch of travelers in White Orchard (one of them ends up being Gaunter O'Dimm) than read logs or listen to audio tapes MGS-style.
Exactly - think about basic cinema/basic storytelling.
Option A: phone call you must answer - no matter what youre doing... and just a simple vid of person talking on phone saying generic heard of you and got work for you - no matter your street cred - just physical location trigger.
Cinematic equivalent: Seeing on screen a person making a phone call but you do not see the actors - either of them really - so you lose out on body language and performance ability.

OR

Option B:
Fixer has jobs for you, their first contact is via phone but asks you to come and see them as often they will have jobs they dont want over unsecure wireless. That would involve seeing them before and (maybe not after as just can say good job and wore money) - where they explain their mission(s), what they do - and you would see their performance and acting to reinforce the words

They went for the easy route - phone calls you must receive to make sure to justify you working for them should you come across a location (heck, sometimes can be in a location before you get the "got a job!" phone call- with so much done by texting. So they stay generic fixewrs we know little about and each has a "magical" area of operations...

instead of say smaller number of fixers but whose influence is in certain genre's/gangs/etc... and you see them regularly and get a job/several jobs at once.. so the map isnt super cluttered all at once.. and jobs appear organically over time.
Like day one all the cyberpshychos are technically doing their thing - icon on map.. but are frozen in time until you get close

ummmm.....
CDPR had to do zero fixing of the stories of W2 and W3 or their basic gameplay loop. Sure they did enhanced editions of first two - great. Just they issued two fantastic expansions for W3 which added to the story - becuase W3 never "fixed" story/gameplay as it needed no fixing. (I'm not including bugfixes in that.. sure there were bugs and they were worked on)

Their free DLC was flavor or little quests.. their expansions were separate stories

Please educate where they "fixed" GOTY W3

Last edited:

The "secret" to Skyrim's success is the modding tools Bethesda releases along with each Elder Scrolls.

They not only let people modify elements of the base game, but create entirely new content: new areas, new quests, new NPC's, etc... The people still playing Skyrim aren't playing the same game year after year, but one that constantly changes and evolves.

Problem is, we're about six months out, and CDPR has given no indication of releasing that kind of tool set.

Guest 3847602

And I've seen that currently 16,000 people are playing Skyrim SE, while Cyberpunk 9000 is playing. I think that's the best summary. A game that hasn't been on the market for a year can't beat a game from 12 years ago.
It sure as hell beats it in this category:
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=win&filter=globaltopsellers
What category is more important to CDPR?
In addition:
lots of PC players own and play GOG version
high player count means nothing to a microtransactions-free, singleplayer game

Same here, evee since 1.06 I've had only minor issues like glitches mostly and some bugs. But never any gamebreaking issues nor real performance problems.

The "secret" to Skyrim's success is the modding tools Bethesda releases along with each Elder Scrolls.
Except that for console players, that was not the case until more recent times and is still limited. PC players forget that. Skyrim was successful because it was a good game. I see that it is now being used here to deflect from this game's issues, which is strange as when any unfavourable comparisons are made between CP2077 and other games, they are brushed aside as not relevant or unfair comparisons. When you are having to reach back to a game released in 2011 and use it to deflect attention and defend this game, it doesn't look good.

Except that for console players, that was not the case until more recent times and is still limited. PC players forget that. Skyrim was successful because it was a good game. I see that it is now being used here to deflect from this game's issues, which is strange as when any unfavourable comparisons are made between CP2077 and other games, they are brushed aside as not relevant or unfair comparisons. When you are having to reach back to a game released in 2011 and use it to deflect attention and defend this game, it doesn't look good.
Well, someone started to compare both games, that's why this discussion. Nothing more.

[...]

Someone else brought up skyrim's steam concurrent numbers to show cyberpunk is bad. This was not a comparison created by people who like cyberpunk. Also since we are talking about steam numbers, console is not relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom