8.5 Patch Notes

+

Guest 4375874

Yeah, those new starter decks seem really strong, very close to some of the optimized metadecks.

Funny, i built 3 new decks so far, and the MO one and SK one are VERY close to those starter decks:

-the MO one is identical in 80% of the cards, also devotion, but im using foglets to take advantage of the synergy with ard gaeth.
-the SK one, the difference is mine is non devotion, using Land of Thousand Fables to get either a 2nd Hemdall or Harald, and im using Reckless Flurry.
How's Foglet working? Honestly seems pretty underwhelming in practice for much of the same reason frost didn't really become strong. Ard Gaeth is still a bad card and it takes time to find value at a time when factions are putting out 20 pts in one turn. I think Foglet only works in deathwish and since that was nerfed it hardly seems worth it unless you're playing Viy. Naglfar's crew doesn't require another unit or charge to apply frost and that alone makes it a better card than foglet and it doesn't even see play anymore. Ancient Foglet may be able to work but definitely better with Red Riders, Ard Gaeth just isn't worth it. The Stratagem I guess was supposed to help with the missing OH charge but it's simultaneously too strong and inconsistent since you need blue coin. They need to put back the OH charge that was removed and nerf Viy directly.

Honestly for MO the only card I can see good value from this patch is Cyclops. I don't see the rest of the changes making a difference for the faction as a whole except to spam more of the same Viy shenanigans.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new animations for some of the Stratagems (at least Tiger's Eye and Engineering solution) are absolutely amazing. :beer:

Guest 4375874

Basically this is going to be the blue coin meta. Anyone who gets a blue coin (especially with cursed scroll) gets a huge advantage, the stratagems are too strong. Cursed scroll alone is a free Oneiro and if you didn't draw oneiro this just makes your deck more consistent. You can hold onto Oneiro for use ion R2 and R3, no more forcing it out of your opponents hand unless you get lucky and get blue coin. Oneiro will now more than ever be auto include. Some of the changes were welcomed but it's basically undercut by the imbalance that was added. 1 step forward and 2 steps back, that's pretty much this patch :facepalm: Between the lippy and Blue stripes consistency getting better and better with every patch it's just more auto forfeit.

Last edited by a moderator:

DRK3

Forum veteran
How's Foglet working? Honestly seems pretty underwhelming in practice for much of the same reason frost didn't really become strong. Ard Gaeth is still a bad card and it takes time to find value at a time when factions are putting out 20 pts in one turn. I think Foglet only works in deathwish and since that was nerfed it hardly seems worth it unless you're playing Viy. Naglfar's crew doesn't require another unit or charge to apply frost and that alone makes it a better card than foglet and it doesn't even see play anymore. Ancient Foglet may be able to work but definitely better with Red Riders, Ard Gaeth just isn't worth it. The Stratagem I guess was supposed to help with the missing OH charge but it's simultaneously too strong and inconsistent since you need blue coin. They need to put back the OH charge that was removed and nerf Viy directly

I havent had the chance to even try the new foglets, because of the draw bug. I'll try playing now.

I did put 2x of both types of foglets, but the one that boosts seems to be more reliable, even if more expensive.

On the surface, these seem like welcome changes and nerfs. Eist and super-syndicate should be a little less... super now.

But wtf is the deal with Urn of Shadows? The ceiling on this one suddenly became a LOT more than 5... Deathwish has never been weak imo. I would personally fear the red coin now against that leader. Certain decks can now consistently expect to lose R1.

On the surface, these seem like welcome changes and nerfs. Eist and super-syndicate should be a little less... super now.

But wtf is the deal with Urn of Shadows? The ceiling on this one suddenly became a LOT more than 5... Deathwish has never been weak imo. I would personally fear the red coin now against that leader. Certain decks can now consistently expect to lose R1.
Why Red Coin though ?
You only get Urn of Shadows on Blue Coin, so if you face Deathwish you are pressuring them for card advantage, not the other way around.
Beyond that commiting high end cards, such as Miruna (especially Miruna), on Blue Coin, when the opponent can just duck out and pass is less than ideal.
Also getting mutliple targets for Miruna and Manticore at once is unlikely, while the surprise value is lost once you have played them already (so the second use of their Deathwish ability is significantly weaker).

Trying to be helpful, didn't spot a better location to post a bug report... After completing first Triss journey related contract and claiming reward I got spammed with this random contract completion thingie... see attached screenshot :p

Attachments

• Gwent  The Witcher Card Game Screenshot 2021.05.06 - 19.53.03.06.png
    Gwent The Witcher Card Game Screenshot 2021.05.06 - 19.53.03.06.png
    1 MB · Views: 42
So I played buffed Queen Meve and after 15 matches I didn't see her beautiful animation going twice at all. And overall only twice her counter reached destination. Better gave her some conditional veil or something else, I don't know. Jesus, she is the main character of this game, there's nothing wrong, if she will be slightly OP, considering some cards like Eist and his mighty warrior company are busted to the moon.
But anyway thanks for buffing her somewhat. It's just not really working, but will keep on trying :)

No nerfs to Yirden, Patricidal Fury or Eldain puts this whole patch in the "meh" category.
Why would Patricidal Fury or Eldain be nerfed ?
This is almost as unfounded and out of the blue as the claim that cards such as Kikimore Queen, Tyrggvi, Detlaff and even Alzur would be broken (on the previous page).

Last edited:
Why would Patricidal Fury or Eldain be nerfed ?
This is almost as unfounded and out of the blue as the claim that cards such as Kikimore Queen, Tyrggvi, Detlaff and even Alzur would be broken on the last page.
Patricidal fury firstly gives you a combination of hard points, clogging the opponents row and an instant Bloodthirst 3 which enables Champions Charge instantly in addition to any other bloodthirst requiring card. It's just too much power in that one leader.

Eldain if you have 5 traps can play for 21 points in addition to enabling your Vernosiel (to completely wipe the opponents side of the board) or that other guy who boosts all Elves on deploy for 10 provisions, it's too strong.

Now compare Eldain's potential power from 6 to 21 for example (or more, like to 24) to the point potential of Yghern from MO (which is also for 10 provisions) which can only ever play between 0 and 13 points + ofc the synergy for thrives + being consumed by Ozzrel (meaning another 9 prov card). Imo, Eldain blows Yghern's value potential for the same cost out the water.

Last edited:
Patricidal fury firstly gives you a combination of hard points, clogging the opponents row and an instant Bloodthirst 3 which enables Champions Charge instantly in addition to any other bloodthirst requiring card. It's just too much power in that one leader. Eldain if you have 5 traps can play for 21 points in addition to enabling your Verosiel or that other guy who boosts all Elves on deploy for 10 provisions, it's too strong.
Eldain is a key card to its Tier 2 archetype, I do not see a problem with their overall performance (especially considering the stats we got).
Patricidal Fury is not played, given that Blaze of Glory + Eist is just better.
Also Patricidal Fury + Champions Charge is hardly broken.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Today, i've been playing SY bounty+cutups. In my opinion, this archetype wasnt bad before, it didnt need a buff, it just didnt see play because it was overshadowed by simpler SY decks like pointslam passiflora, or the near tier 0 broken-level Lined Pockets crimes of the past 2 months.

And of the balance changes discussion, these buffs were probably the most ignored, but they're quite meaningful.
Both Boris and Professor got a 2 pt buff - the buff to professor might seem its just a 1pt buff, but its 2, since you're putting a bounty and (hopefully) killing a unit in the same move, so you'll earn an extra coin.
Also, there's the buff to whoreson Jr, which can only be fully taken advantage with devotion, which im not because im playing portal+oneiro, but he's still worthy anyway.

I think the meta is shifting, which is quite fun to play, but so far with this deck i've had really good results (its a control deck, so that isnt surprising).
I've beaten NG soldiers, NG spies, Kolgrim (it just beats 100% of NG, thanks to whoreson Sr), MO deathwish, ST movement and even mirrors of SY control/bounty.

(EDIT) I would like to find out how it fares versus the nerfed lined pockets deck, but i think everyone is staying away from it, as the major nerfs always lead to these situations, even when the nerfs only turn OP level into good level.

Regarding Patricidal Fury I would suggest 1 siren less, so that a little bit more effort to meet Bloodthirst 3 is needed.
Regarding Eldain I do have mixed feelings. On the one hand he´s a strong deployer and strong deployers should have less power/more provisions. On the other hand you can win against these elf trap decks so easily if you force them into a long round 3.

[...]
And of the balance changes discussion, these buffs were probably the most ignored, but they're quite meaningful.
Both Boris and Professor got a 2 pt buff - the buff to professor might seem its just a 1pt buff, but its 2, since you're putting a bounty and (hopefully) killing a unit in the same move, so you'll earn an extra coin.
[...]
I thought the same, however actually it is just a 1 pt buff, since you can trigger the bounty anyways with something like Executioner, so the bounty is not worth any more than before.
In practice this can of course be different, given that Professor is actually 2 points better in a short round or in case one misses damage spenders.

Regarding Patricidal Fury I would suggest 1 siren less, so that a little bit more effort to meet Bloodthirst 3 is needed.
Regarding Eldain I do have mixed feelings. On the one hand he´s a strong deployer and strong deployers should have less power/more provisions. On the other hand you can win against these elf trap decks so easily if you force them into a long round 3.
Why would Patricidal Fury need a nerf though ?
It is not even seeing a lot of (if any) serious play.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I thought the same, however actually it is just a 1 pt buff, since you can trigger the bounty anyways with something like Executioner, so the bounty is not worth any more than before.
In practice this can of course be different, given that Professor is actually 2 points better in a short round or in case one misses damage spenders.

It seems you're considering external factors to evaluate the professor.
Like you said, on a short round he's better, but also at the beginning of a round, the buff is major because there are so many bronze engines at 4pts, at 3 you either had to setup something earlier or just damage a token to get its bounty value.

Executioner is good but i just assume he's going to get immediately countered, so i rather rely on deploys and 1-2 combos of giving bounty, killing bounty w specials or a unit.

It seems you're considering external factors to evaluate the professor.
Like you said, on a short round he's better, but also at the beginning of a round, the buff is major because there are so many bronze engines at 4pts, at 3 you either had to setup something earlier or just damage a token to get its bounty value.

Executioner is good but i just assume he's going to get immediately countered, so i rather rely on deploys and 1-2 combos of giving bounty, killing bounty w specials or a unit.
I am evaluating him as a bounty giver and the bounty itself is not worth more than before.
A card that interacts with other cards of the same player (e.g. a bounty giver) is not reasonably in a state of being evaluated in a vacuum.
Also I agree with you, that there are additional factors that favor the card and it ultimately is a lot more flexible, not to mention that it is actually an amazing removal card for engines (similar to Whoreson Junior).
What I am trying to say is that the value of the buff can be just a single point in case you combine him with other sources of damage, like Whoreson Junior, Whoreson's Freakshow and/or Executioner.

The interesting aspect is that the floor is worth up to 2 more points (especially on engines), while the ceiling is "just" 1 point higher.

rrc

Forum veteran
I am evaluating him as a bounty giver and the bounty itself is not worth more than before.
A card that interacts with other cards of the same player (e.g. a bounty giver) is not reasonably in a state of being evaluated in a vacuum.
Also I agree with you, that there are additional factors that favor the card and it ultimately is a lot more flexible, not to mention that it is actually an amazing removal card for engines (similar to Whoreson Junior).
What I am trying to say is that the value of the buff can be just a single point in case you combine him with other sources of damage, like Whoreson Junior, Whoreson's Freakshow and/or Executioner.

The interesting aspect is that the floor is worth up to 2 more points (especially on engines), while the ceiling is "just" 1 point higher.
I think DRK3 is correct. This is a 2 point buff. Assume the opponent plays Nauzica Sergent or SwordMaster or anything, which is a 4 strength card. You play Professor. You put 6 point body on board, remove 4 point body and gain 4 coins. That is a 14 point play (and with coins being traded more effectively with other cards, this could be even more). The damage you do on a bounty card by using coins is worth 2 points. That is the reason Slander is worth 6 points even though you gain only 3 coins. Assume you have Executioner on board. Opponent has a 3 point body. Now you use Slander and kill that unit. You have killed a 3 point body and got 3 coins back.

Any damage done to a bounty unit is worth 2 points. Since you are going to get the coin back. I know that if the unit is boosted it is not the case, but for the sake of this Professor's argument if we see her previous reach and now, previously he would play for 6+3+3 and now he plays for 6+4+4 which is +2 points and with a very reliable removal potential.

Top Bottom