89.7 Growl FM: Your (Underground) Road to Fame - Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty Music Contest

+
some tips for people beginner with DAW ( digtal audio workstation - software for music )

1) Mixing - Mastering
- usually all DaW having a control panel mixer , one slider / potar to never moove his your Master bus volume lever , let it at 0 db
- most commons pluging fx to put on master bus , an EQ ( equalizer ) , Maximazer , stereo imager , one Reverb
( the Reverb , its to fix the global space audio for all your channel , its a "glue" type reverb , usually setting with less 1-4% wet signal , the amount of signal on fx )

2) Phase and frequence issues
to resume each sound having their own phase and fequence bandwitch ,more your add sounds ( channels audio ) , more it'll occure with some channels some sounds might be no "clear" when playing together . to avoid those issues , you need to add an EQ on channel to remove those frequence . Phasing issues its similar , ususally you just need to invert the phase on the proper channel .

3) structure
Music , sounds like as speech , when composing your music , you need few time some "silence" or variation .
some logic on what your telling with your music , imagine someone telling us
- A A A A A ...AAAAAAAAA , its quite boring
- A A A B Z , not feeling right
On music composition , even there's no rule your auditor , the listenner we almost react with what its most commons for him :)

4) Compexity or simplicity ..?
no rules but don't forget , human can't focus for a long time with too amount of complexity information , you need to keep in mind when composing
- what 'll make your song original
- what the story/mood of the track
- how you'll set the balance between complexity and simplicity ^^

i'm not fluent in english , sorry if u ise the proper terms/words :)
hope thant can help , it always a pleasure sharing tips , knowledge about Music .

Get inspired by the world of Cyberpunk 2077 and take part in our official music contest!

89.7 Growl FM: Your (Underground) Road to Fame

Create a music track fit for a Night City headliner for a chance to win awesome prizes! Like what? Well, how about having your track in the game?! We’re looking for fresh music to feature in our new community radio station — coming in the Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty expansion!

Help Ash set up 89.7 Growl FM by creating a music track inspired by this video:

Let your creativity run wild: you can create your music in any style or genre! It can be an instrumental track or a song (vocals need to be in English, Spanish, Japanese or Chinese) between 2:00 and 3:00 minutes long. For more details check the official contest website: https://cyberpunk.net/growlfm

We're accepting submissions until November 30th, 2022.

The full set of rules is available here.
there is something not mentioned in the rules and also this is my first time making an official song so I'm not sure about it. the question is, do I have to register my song on copyright.gov before submitting?

Should entries be mastered or left unmastered? I think this should be important to know before submitting entries.

there is something not mentioned in the rules and also this is my first time making an official song so I'm not sure about it. the question is, do I have to register my song on copyright.gov before submitting?
No need.

Question for anyone in the know - Is swearing something to be avoided? I've got a couple pretty prominent f-bombs that aren't crucial to the track, but they do add a certain degree of realism and/or color. The game itself doesn't shy away from "colorful language" but I can imagine a promo situation where they'd want to keep it a little more mass consumer friendly. (IE, if they chose to put a playlist on social media or something..)

EDIT: too late. submitted. Let the cards fall where they may.

Last edited:
Folks, there's no need to spread panic about the copyright transfer terms, let alone the licensing wording.

It may surprise you to learn that under the standard, typical, old-fashioned pre-streaming "record deal" that every band supposedly wished for, the arists in all cases *retained no ownership nor control of any kind over their music.* We won't even get into how the big up-front signing bonus, if you got one, was actially a *loan that the record label would recoup from sales before you saw a dime of profit,* and that most bands' income mostly came from merch sales during shows and maybe a portion of venue ticket sales- which is why so many bands tried touring all the time everywhere in as large a venue as possible.

This is nowhere near that level of sjullduggery; this is how CDPR needs to protect itself from 15 strangers it knows nothing about. Without the copyright transfer, a litigious lunatic could turn around and demand royalties from streamers on Twitch and videos on YouTube, not to mention, say, a track with vocals where there's the songwriting royalities, the performance royalities, the composition roy- you get the idea now i hope.

And it's not like they're asking for a full-length album of your magnum opus - it's a 2-3 minute track for use in a game's radio station mostly heard while driving. Yes, you are agreeing to effectively give this short, simple, themed piece to CDPR for them to own. Welcome to freelance sound design.

So please, read up and educate yourself on the subject if it's new to you, but stop trying to scare people off or stir up some kind of outrage over what's actually a fairly mild and common way the industry does, and must, work for everyone.

TL;DR you are supposed to be creating a track *for this purpose* not giving away your life's work.

Does anyone know which loudness standards i should follow for mixing? The loudness of my soundtrack currently ranges between -18 and -14 LUFs. Is that OK?

Does anyone know which loudness standards i should follow for mixing? The loudness of my soundtrack currently ranges between -18 and -14 LUFs. Is that OK?
standart loundness on console Sony and xbox follow now the EBRN ( europen broadcasting regulation norm ) , most all industry game follow this
a good goal its -23 db Lufs :)

keep true peak dB at -1 db
better for encoding on middle audio engine like as Wwise , Fmod ( Cyberpunk may use one of this audio middleware software as audio engine )

standart loundness on console Sony and xbox follow now the EBRN ( europen broadcasting regulation norm ) , most all industry game follow this

better for encoding on middle audio engine like as Wwise , Fmod ( Cyberpunk may use one of this audio middleware software as audio engine )
Huge Help, Thanks a lot

Just thinking about this when I saw the submission points for the contest of Growl FM

When they ask to put the name, people can choose nickname (artist name) instead of the real name, so people can send more than one track using different nicknames and emails.

Let’s say my real name is Sam, I did 3 tracks and I send each of them with different artist name and email.

At the end, my changes to win are higher than the people who just send one.

Don’t sound fair. For sure a lot people gonna do that

I think it should be a better rule for that

Last edited:
Just thinking about this when I saw the submission points for the contest of Growl FM

When they ask to put the name, people can choose nickname (artist name) instead of the real name, so people can send more than one track using different nicknames and emails.

Let’s say my real name is Sam, I did 3 tracks and I send each of them with different artist name and email.

At the end, my changes to win are higher than the people who just send one.

Don’t sound fair. For sure a lot people gonna do that

I think it should be a better rule for that

This would make sense if they picked the tracks randomly, otherwise, it would just increase the chance of getting disqualified.

Also, you would benefit less when getting selected with some random/mainstream track that can't be identified with your personal style. If the tracks have some personal charm (and I suppose they should) it would again increase the risk of getting disqualified, because they might notice it's the same artist or mixing style.

In the end, if you spend 3x the time and get banned from the contest ... sounds not good to me. The other way around, when people spend the same amount of time on a single track that you would spend on 3 ... chances are just getting lower for you to be in the choice. Quality still comes before quantity.

Not to mention if you should win with 2+ tracks ... gotta sign the contract and can't claim the rewards legally ... ouch.

So I would say it's fair enough.
Post automatically merged:

Should entries be mastered or left unmastered? I think this should be important to know before submitting entries.

I would also like to know. :shrug:

Can someone from CDPR confirm that?

Last edited:
This would make sense if they picked the tracks randomly, otherwise, it would just increase the chance of getting disqualified.

Also, you would benefit less when getting selected with some random/mainstream track that can't be identified with your personal style. If the tracks have some personal charm (and I suppose they should) it would again increase the risk of getting disqualified, because they might notice it's the same artist or mixing style.

In the end, if you spend 3x the time and get banned from the contest ... sounds not good to me. The other way around, when people spend the same amount of time on a single track that you would spend on 3 ... chances are just getting lower for you to be in the choice. Quality still comes before quantity.

Not to mention if you should win with 2+ tracks ... gotta sign the contract and can't claim the rewards legally ... ouch.

So I would say it's fair enough.
Post automatically merged:

I would also like to know. :shrug:

Can someone from CDPR confirm that?

well yeah I total agree with you cause I love original stuff from art.
About the mix or produce style, if you are a good producer I believe you are able to make them sound diferent. About winning 2 or 3 times. CDPR said in the rules “if you win and you don’t answer to the email confirming your prizes we give the victory to other one” so if you win 2 times you just answer one

So excited for this!
Submitted a few days ago, loved the creating the track especially for this. You can check out a snippet here if you're interested.
I've tried to capture a mixture of underground genres which I feel could really work in 2077 - Witchhouse, Breakcore, and Techno

I have a question, should the track be minimal 2-3 minutes and no longer than 3 minutes, or can it be longer than 3 minutes?. :)

Top Bottom