9.0 Patch Notes

+
I decided to to update and post my lists after every expansion now so see ya in 4 months.. but I wanted to post this one card..: Waylay - Damage a unit by 4. If you control three or more elves splitt a boost by the amount of damage dealt between all elves you control.. for 5 prov. Then it´s a playable card and Vanadain too. 5 damage for 6 prov. would be also an option.. people would play 100% Vanadain then but probably not the card itself.. So I think this is a great idea and want to see this on this card!!
if it at least did 4 damage, what can you kill with 3 damage without setup?
Post automatically merged:

man I'm so disappointed by the NG mages tbh. I'm trying really hard to make a half way playable thematic NG mage deck without the usual 0815-boring masquerade ball poison crap but its super hard. the thinning is cool and all but there is no power behind the mages as a whole, no real cash-in to play in the end like detmold or any engines that benefit from playing mages/constructs. and Rience is so clunky he honestly doesnt fit the deck well at all but there are no other high prov mages in NG xD like specimen would say "it's a real stinker"

Guest 4375874

if it at least did 4 damage, what can you kill with 3 damage without setup?
Post automatically merged:

man I'm so disappointed by the NG mages tbh. I'm trying really hard to make a half way playable thematic NG mage deck without the usual 0815-boring masquerade ball poison crap but its super hard. the thinning is cool and all but there is no power behind the mages as a whole, no real cash-in to play in the end like detmold or any engines that benefit from playing mages/constructs. and Rience is so clunky he honestly doesnt fit the deck well at all but there are no other high prov mages in NG xD like specimen would say "it's a real stinker"
4 damage would be a bit broken. What I've encountered so far is mages + clog which works fairly well, they thin with mages while clogging my deck, then drop Kolgrim for massive points. I hate clog in any form but I guess it's something :/ I don't think mages have enough support to work on their own except maybe for ST.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 damage would be a bit broken. What I've encountered so far is mages + clog which works fairly well, they thin with mages while clogging my deck, then drop Kolgrim for massive points. I hate clog in any form but I guess it's something :/ I don't think mages have enough support to work on their own except maybe for ST.
I mean ... if you can decide between the clunky Rience (with the provisions of Masquerade Ball) and Kolgrim, while the setup for both is largely the same direction ... I really doubt you would ever seriously consider Rience.

how would 4 dmg for 5 be broken? conditional 7 for 5 is the norm that actually has been powercrept at this point anyway. rebuke is also conditional 7 for 5 with the benefit of dealing 5 damage, making deathblow easier (but requiring a treant). rebuke can be tutored (like all 5p dmg cards) while waylay cannot (aside from oneiro but lol), so it would still be generally much worse than rebuke outside of elf decks.

ye I also played NG mages with a bit of clog, its kind of natural with cynthia, assire etc, even though some cards counter clog like vilge but its still handy to have deck maniplation. I didnt want to include kolgrim though.
NR mages have enough support, its greedy and weak against control but if unchecked it wrecks. I've had a NR mages list for ages, I'm glad it finally got some love (hopefully my knight deck will get some treatment as well soon) ST mages is kind of weak imo, I hate the new scryre and farseer is still garbo, generally ST mages lacks tempo and is easily interrupted

Guest 4375874

how would 4 dmg for 5 be broken? conditional 7 for 5 is the norm that actually has been powercrept at this point anyway. rebuke is also conditional 7 for 5 with the benefit of dealing 5 damage, making deathblow easier (but requiring a treant). rebuke can be tutored (like all 5p dmg cards) while waylay cannot (aside from oneiro but lol), so it would still be generally much worse than rebuke outside of elf decks.

ye I also played NG mages with a bit of clog, its kind of natural with cynthia, assire etc, even though some cards counter clog like vilge but its still handy to have deck maniplation. I didnt want to include kolgrim though.
NR mages have enough support, its greedy and weak against control but if unchecked it wrecks. I've had a NR mages list for ages, I'm glad it finally got some love (hopefully my knight deck will get some treatment as well soon) ST mages is kind of weak imo, I hate the new scryre and farseer is still garbo, generally ST mages lacks tempo and is easily interrupted
I don't know, maybe because this faction can recycle spells as well as benefit from those in their graveyard. "Removal" shouldn't be the optimal aim for a card to be considered good. It already has synergy with other cards and there are several other damage cards, ST already perpetuates unitless, I think this one is fine as is.

So, no one is going to talk about the elephant in the room? Which is how pathetic the epic ST card is? Vanadain is an absolute trash without a rework on Waylay. Why would you want to add two potentially 3 point play in your hand replacing any cards? If Vanadain is locked or removed the two Waylay can very well play for just 6 points in total. Even if Vanadain survives, the Waylay are going to play for guaranteed 6 and conditionally 9. So, in worst and most probably case, you play for 6+3+3 in three turns and in best case 6+9+9; and even the best case is just not worth the risk. it is a super high risk for a minimal reward.

But at least Vanadain will have company from the Cat Witcher Saboteur and stay in the ditch/pit.
You're completely right. Vanadáin really needs something like "Zeal. Order. Charges 2 plus the current ability" This way if you don't want to use his ability on deploy because your hand is full of golds or you don't want to get rid of any card he can stay unused. Then if he survives that turn and he doesn't get lock you can use the charges and play Waylay for total value. I think this is a decent and fair buff for him. I don't like him in his current state. I like the ability though but in his current state the poor elf is utterly trash.

From my limited experience, Vanadain is definitely the proverbial square peg that just doesn’t fit.

First is the issue of when to play him. The best synergy is with cards like Vernossiel that you want to play in round three. But you generally try to keep good cards for round three — I can’t imagine wanting two copies of Waylay.

Second is the issue of setting him up. Not only does Vanadain need to survive to get value, but Waylay generally needs weakened units.

Third, Vanadain synergies very poorly with the decks bearing cards that synergize with him. For example, Deadeye Ambush would seem almost the ideal leader: Vanadain could shuffle unwanted Sentinels to the bottom of the deck, while leader pings could assist in creating Waylay targets. But neither elfspawn nor Deadeyes offer much to the Ambush decks of which I am aware. On the other hand, Vanadain generates spells for Spelateal decks, but the spells (Waylay) are too weak to have value in themselves and have the wrong tag to trigger symbiosis. And, as previously mentioned, in elf decks, he must be played in the wrong round.

In principle, I don’t think Vanadain is weak (although I agree with some that a boost to Waylay is in order). But before he will become usable; ST will need a set of cards with which he works.

I don't know, maybe because this faction can recycle spells as well as benefit from those in their graveyard. "Removal" shouldn't be the optimal aim for a card to be considered good. It already has synergy with other cards and there are several other damage cards, ST already perpetuates unitless, I think this one is fine as is.
what does nature recycling have to do with waylay? and removal is the only option for this card to get any value, the problem is that people tend to not play 3p cards, especially engines because they are too easily removed. with elf decks you usually dont play precision strike so you cannot reliably setup waylay since swordmaster never lives, as its basically the only played elf engine. if you cannot meet the condition this card plays for 3 and doesnt even remove anything, it's absolutely atrocious especially for a non tutorable 5p special. maybe you're right and ST has enough removal special cards but then waylay should be changed altogether because as is it is definitely not fine. have you ever seen someone play a waylay voluntairily in the past 2 years or even at all before vanadain?

Great news for Contract hunters! At long last, there's now a way to speed the Bonded contract sequence.

Previously, the best you could hope for was to make 4 or 5 Sly Seductresses and hope that your opponent kept playing cards. The change to Magne Division means we now have a card whose bonded ability can be triggered without relying on our opponents. Plus you can make a LOT more copies using all the standard NG copying tricks. As long as your opponent doesn't lock or remove to many of them and you draw into the right cards, you can get 50+ bonded trigger progress in a single round.

Does nobody test this game? You moved the Casual checkbox to Training, but every time you come out of a game "Versus Player", it is back to "Versus AI". You had the same problem with the old checkbox (it reset all the time), did no QA see this after the change?

Top Bottom