9.1 Patch Notes

+

Update 9.1 is the Patch between the release of the first and second drop of the Price of Power expansion.

It focuses on fixing a number of gameplay bugs while adjusting the strength of a group of cards across all factions.

Besides that, it sets the stage for our upcoming WitcherCon event.

But who are we kidding, the biggest highlight is Vaedermakar getting his deserved Druid category.
Changes
Neutral

New unit: Sunset Wanderers

Witcher, 1 power, 11 provisions.

This card starts in the leftmost position of your hand.

At the beginning of your turn, while in hand, move self one position to the right then boost self by 1.

At the end of your turn, if you haven't passed and there are no cards to the right of this card, summon self from your hand to a random allied row, then draw a card.

Doppler: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

Elder Bear: Provisions changed from 6 to 4.

Caravan Vanguard: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

Swallow: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Mahakam Ale: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Scout: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Vaedermakar: Added the Druid category.

Yennefer: Divination: Provisions changed from 9 to 8.

Triss Merigold: Provisions changed from 9 to 8.

Monsters

White Frost: Added a new part of ability:

Whenever you play a Wild Hunt unit, boost it by 1 if there's Frost in the opposite row.

Ice Giant: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

Hideous Feast: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Griffin: Power changed from 8 to 9.

Kikimore Worker: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Red Riders: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

Ard Gaeth: Provisions changed from 9 to 8.

Maerolorn: Power changed from 3 to 4.

Witch Apprentice: Provisions changed from 4 to 5.

Skellige

Rage of the Sea: Provisions changed from 14 to 15.

Tuirseach Veteran: Berserk requirement changed from 2 to 3.

Dimun Pirate: Power changed from 7 to 8.

Raging Bear: Power changed from 7 to 8.

Disgraced Brawler: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Boatbuilders: Added Cooldown: 1

An Craite Warcrier: Power changed from 3 to 4.

Morkvarg: Added the Pirate category.

Provisions changed from 8 to 7.

Svalblod Cultist: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Northern Realms

Pincer Maneuver: Provisions changed from 16 to 15.

Immortal Cavalry: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

Cursed Knight: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Redanian Elite: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Armor changed from 4 to 3.

War Chariot: Added Cooldown: 3

Reinforced Balista: Power changed from 4 to 3.

Armor changed from 0 to 1.

Scoia'tael

Half-Elf Hunter: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

Waylay: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Dwarven Mercenary: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Mahakam Defender: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Dol Blathanna Archer: Power changed from 4 to 5.

Forest Whisperer: Order (Ranged) changed to:

Give an allied unit Vitality for 3 turns.

Cat Witcher Saboteur: Power changed from 4 to 5.

Nilfgaard

Imperial Formation: Part of ability changed to:

Once all Charges have been exhausted, move a unit from your deck to the top.

Imprisonment: Provisions changed from 16 to 15.

Double Cross: Provisions changed from 17 to 16.

Imperial Diplomacy: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Nilfgaardian Knight: Power changed from 7 to 8.

Ard Feainn Tortoise: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Mage Torturer: Power changed from 4 to 5.

Albrich: Provisions changed from 7 to 6.

Viper Witcher: Adrenaline 6 effect changed to:

If it's not a Token, Spawn a base copy of that unit at the top of opponent's deck.

Coated Weapons: Deathblow effect changed to:

If it wasn't a Token, Banish it and Spawn a base copy of it on top of opponents' deck.

Affan Hillergrand: Provisions changed from 8 to 7.

Imperial Golem: Power changed from 11 to 12.

Provisions changed from 7 to 6.

Blightmaker: Provisions changed from 5 to 6.

The Guardian: Tier changed from gold to bronze.

Rarity changed from epic to common.

Syndicate

Pirate's Cove: Provisions changed from 15 to 14.

Jackpot: Provisions changed from 16 to 15.

Smuggle: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Arena Ghoul: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Arena Endraga: Power changed from 5 to 6.

Cleaver's Muscle: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Bloody Good Friends: Power changed from 5 to 6.

Adriano the Mink: Added a new part of ability:

Increase the Profit by 1 for each allied Sly Seductress.

Whoreson Junior: Power changed from 5 to 4.
New Features

Automatic milling settings are now stored on the account, rather than on the device.

WitcherCon Festival - starting 2 days after 9.1 release
Game Fixes
Dead Man's Tongue will no longer show the deck in order.

Cards such as Dire Bear, Cahir Dyffryn and Black Blood no longer count base power increases as boosting.

Mage Assassin can no longer be Summoned from the top of the deck during the opponent's turn.

Ethereal will now properly transform Demons.

Cintrian Envoy will now show all card types as intended, not only units.

Reinforced Ballista's Cooldown will now correctly refresh at the beginning of the turn, not the end of the turn.

Megascope and Dol Blathanna Whisperer will now reset their Counter correctly when leaving the board.

Shader issue affecting visuals of Adrenaline and Shield is fixed.

Last edited:
I was hoping for some Pact boost that wasn't mentioned in the video. Now it's just a Swallow (since they're both 4 prov) with disadvantage (except for the really rare occasions when you don't want a specific card in your graveyard).

Might skip this next season because we know that even though a whole host of different cards were buffed, lots of people are still going to farm wins with jackpot in Gwent: The Syndicate Card Game.
Which is a shame because I love the game at its core.

NG changes are excellent, all of them, and the Neutral buffs are really nice too. I wonder if Elder Bears will start to see play outside of starter decks. :D

The bugged Adrenaline effect being gone will be wonderful. Shield hasn't been anywhere near as annoying because it's not such a stand-out colour.

rrc

Forum veteran
Affan buffed - It is a good change. Among the three similar cards it is the hardest to pull it off and most inconvenient. Should have left it with just this change. But NO!

Morkvarg buffed completely unnecessarily (I don't understand why the devs simply can't stop buffing Lippy decks). It can see play twice and very easily too. The only logic I can think of this buff is to make all faction equal in strength. Though Morkvag doesn't need buff, it was buffed due to Affan's buff. OK

But, Aereline: NOPE. I don't understand. How in the world similar cards like Morkvag, Affan and Aereline get buffed and ST gets the giant snub again. If they had to do one more card to make Affan's buff look OK, it should have been Aereline.

Long back, should be more than 1.5 years back I think when Morkvag and Aereline had a difference in their power, I used to create a lot of posts/threads to bring it up and they were balanced later. I don't know how many posts people will have to make to bring the fair balance to ST now. If Affan and Morkvag needed buff, Aereline too needed the buff. But as usual ST gets the shitty treatment from the devs again and again.

Well done Devs. Bravo!

Overall happy about the changes except for a couple. Like I'm bit confused about the Imprisonment nerf, was it just because it's overplayed? It's still 6 points at its core. SY barely touched is controversial. Most people expected 2-3 provision nerfs to Jackpot for example. Either way, this patch is a step in the right direction :)

Solid patch, but some important changes are either not enough or not there at all.

Witch apprentice - not enough! 1 prov changes nothing. This card should be 3 for 5, or 4 for 6.
Koshchey or Endrega Larva- no nerf? Seriously? Whoreson was too strong, but Koshchey is OK?
White frost - i like that you are adding passives to leaders, but i think this one is a miss. Something like this would be better: At the end of your turn, boost a random allied unit by 2 for every empty row with Frost on it.
Clogg - good changes, half a year late, but i'm still glad that you finaly realized this was a HUGE problem.
Sunset Wanderers - interesting card, i can't wait to try some crazy shenanigans with mulligan and deck manipulation :)

A few welcome ST changes, though again, A FEW. How the hell is Aelirenn still 8p?? lol

Otherwise, some random quick impressions:

-the new card sounds interesting
-ballista change is pointless. 4 powers wasn't the issue. ZERO cooldown was the issue. 3 power+1armor fixes absolutely nothing
-same goes for Whoreson. Yay! 4p now instead of 5. Whoopty freaking doo.
-Blightmaker change is also too weak, imo. Should have removed the guardian spawn. NG keeps getting these 6p bronze cards that play for easy 11+, while some of us have the smuggler.

A few welcome ST changes, though again, A FEW. How the hell is Aelirenn still 8p?? lol
[...]
I really do not see the comparison though.
Morkvarg and Affan both require very specific triggers from specific cards (which one expects to get value).
Aelirenn on requires a certain number of units with a specific tag, however is not just an extension for other cards like Morkvarg and Affan.

Aelirenn is fine (although I would prefer her design being changed to be similar to Flying Redanian, being a 3 for 9 that can jump out during multiple rounds and incentivizing elf swarm during multiple rounds [same with Winter Queen]).

Edit: The only fair comparison is Hubert Rejk and I doubt you would say Hubert should get a buff if Affan gets buffed.

I really do not see the comparison though.
Morkvarg and Affan both require very specific triggers from specific cards (which one expects to get value).
Aelirenn on requires a certain number of units with a specific tag, however is not just an extension for other cards like Morkvarg and Affan.

Aelirenn is fine (although I would prefer her design being changed to be similar to Flying Redanian, being a 3 for 9 that can jump out during multiple rounds and incentivizing elf swarm during multiple rounds [same with Winter Queen]).

Edit: The only fair comparison is Hubert Rejk and I doubt you would say Hubert should get a buff if Affan gets buffed.
Sorry, this makes ZERO sense. How is discarding, which can be done in a million different ways, a more "specific" trigger than having 5 elves on the board? And yes, Hubert should also have been buffed, if not "if Affan gets buffed," then certainly "if Morkvarg AND Affan get buffed"

Sorry, this makes ZERO sense. How is discarding, which can be done in a million different ways, a more "specific" trigger than having 5 elves on the board? And yes, Hubert should also have been buffed, if not "if Affan gets buffed," then certainly "if Morkvarg AND Affan get buffed"
No it makes sense.
With Affan you have the Tactical Decision, Blightmaker and Albrich as the only cards that can trigger it, which pay majorly in their own points being able to enable Affan.
With Morkvarg you are still paying points to get the cycling effect.
Birna is a 6 for 8, to be worth it 8p cards need to get 10+ points, so the discards cost you 2+ points, same with Heymaey Skald and Coral.

Playing an Elf is not in itself costing you points, those elves are not miraculously losing you points by having the elf tag.
The same goes for using Order abilities like Hubert requires.

Affan and Morkvarg require you to use specific abilities that have a point cost attached to them, while simply using Order abilities and playing Elves is not itself a cost (but a requirement), the same goes for Winter Queen and Flying Redanian (those conditions are requirements, rather than costs).

No it makes sense.
With Affan you have the Tactical Decision, Blightmaker and Albrich as the only cards that can trigger it, which pay majorly in their own points being able to enable Affan.
With Morkvarg you are still paying points to get the cycling effect.
Birna is a 6 for 8, to be worth it 8p cards need to get 10+ points, so the discards cost you 2+ points, same with Heymaey Skald and Coral.

Playing an Elf is not in itself costing you points, those elves are not miraculously losing you points by having the elf tag.
The same goes for using Order abilities like Hubert requires.

Affan and Morkvarg require you to use specific abilities that have a point cost attached to them, while simply using Order abilities and playing Elves is not itself a cost (but a requirement), the same goes for Winter Queen and Flying Redanian (those conditions are requirements, rather than costs).
No, it still really doesn't. Birna is not "6 for 8". At the very VERY least it's 6 for 8 that thins two cards out of your deck. Did you forget to put some arbitrary point value on that? And in the actual, REAL world, it's a 8p card that thins 2 cards and plays for 15. Skald is 8-9 for 4p PLUS thinning. Coral is 8 for 8 on deploy, thins a card and is an engine. So this "cost" excuse for how it's justified that Aelirenn should be higher provision that Mork is rubbish. Plain and simple.

Will the balance department pay attention to these golden forgotten cards?
They have been waiting for improvements for a long-long time. Power creep had already overtaken them!

0) Milaen (just compare with Whoreson Jr.)
1) Regis
2) Sihil
3) Triss: Butterflies
4) Villentretenmerth
5) Aguara: True Form
6) Ithlinne Aegli
7) Hen Gaidht Sword
8) Gregoir de Gorgon
9) The last wish
10) Enraged Ifrit
11) Saesenthessis: Blaze
12) Mandrake
13) Vandergrift`s blade
14) Francis Bedlam
15) Isengrim Faoiltiarna
16) Tatterwing
17) Weeping Willow
18) Sirssa
19) Toad Prince
20) Sweers
21) Eyk of Denesle
22) Milva
23-24) Palmerin de Launfal + Milton de Peyrac-Peyran
25-26) Etriel + Muirlega
27) Tesham Mutna Sword
28) Gimpy Gerwin
29) Udalryk an Brokvar
30) Braenn

Most of them do not even ask for a change of mechanics - only provisions and strength – only 2 numbers, if you are only concerned about the company's resource. Just keep in mind cards like Geehart of Aelle, theoretically capable of generating non-obvious strong combinations. You know better, what to do with this cards. But DO!

The variety of cards in the collection does not make any sense if there is no variety of competitively capable decks and archetypes. Why do we need 42 leaders' abilities and a collection of 1351 cards at all, if the main tournament of the season shows that only 8/42 abilities (8/32 8players, 4decks) and about 100 cards are played, taking into account doubles? Why did we need voice acting, animation and effects for the remaining 1200 cards at all? How sad it is that such a huge work of all the team Gwent is devalued by small and sickly questionable balance patches =(

Last edited:
No, it still really doesn't. Birna is not "6 for 8". At the very VERY least it's 6 for 8 that thins two cards out of your deck. Did you forget to put some arbitrary point value on that? And in the actual, REAL world, it's a 8p card that thins 2 cards and plays for 15. Skald is 8-9 for 4p PLUS thinning. Coral is 8 for 8 on deploy, thins a card and is an engine. So this "cost" excuse for how it's justified that Aelirenn should be higher provision that Mork is rubbish. Plain and simple.
Wrong.
Birna plays for 15 if you target Morkvarg and 1 Skrimisher, so you get 15 for 12 (and thin 2 4p cards), while requiring to get 3 specific cards in your hand.
You can try and pretend that those discards would be worth it without targets like Morkvarg and Skirmisher all you want, however that does not change the fact that discarding is an actual cost, like requiring a consume for a deathwish.
Furthermore Morkvarg is, in the case of discard decks, an overpriced Skirmisher, like Affan is an overpriced Mage Assassin, which is why Affan, Morkvarg and Albrich are getting buffed.

Gyg

Forum regular
Mahakam Defender could end in symbiosis deck as an additional engine along hamerdriad. Dwarven Mercenary will replace mahakam trappers in dwarf decks.

Imagine Ithlinne actually casting spell's like mages do eh .. like she used too cast 2 bronzes ... used too be an awesome card in spell 'tael before lamecoming trashed the game for a long time

Last edited:
I was hoping for some Pact boost that wasn't mentioned in the video. Now it's just a Swallow (since they're both 4 prov) with disadvantage (except for the really rare occasions when you don't want a specific card in your graveyard).
I didn't hope for a buff to Pact but yeah now it makes little sense for it to just be a slightly worse clone of Swallow. :]

No nerf to Eldain is the biggest thing I wish was in the patch but isn't (nerf to Koschey is 2nd).

Also cursed werewolf Morkvarg being a "pirate" makes absolutely no sense lorewise. At that point he was just a beast cursed to roam Freya's Garden in suffering...

Last edited:

Guest 4416545

Next cards have been waiting for improvements for a long-long time. Power creep had already overtaken them!
Will the balance department pay attention to these golden forgotten cards?

1) Regis
2) Sihil
3) Triss: Butterflies
4) Villentretenmerth
5) Aguara: True Form
6) Ithlinne Aegli
7) Hen Gaidht Sword
8) Gregoir de Gorgon
9) The last wish
10) Alzur`s Double cross
11) Marching orders
12) Mandrake