9.1 Patch Notes

+
TBH, I feel like Pincer is okay but Foltest is a bit too good, whatever your argument is, potential 5 per turn engine that doesn't go tall seems kinda OP to me.
Also, Gerhart as a mage, spell caster and 1 order counter, instant 13 point (with potential of more) for 11 prov seems too good as well. I understand NR has been bad for a long time, which is why devs try to resurrect it with several OP cards. But I really don't think this is how you balance the game, or at least, Nerf the card instead of Pincer makes more sense to me.

I don't get that NG leaders' nerf. NG literally has no leaders, and they continue to nerf those scraps.

Also, no brain Foltest got no changes as well as clunky Emhyr? :think:

Neutral

New unit: Sunset Wanderers

Witcher, 1 power, 11 provisions.

This card starts in the leftmost position of your hand.

At the beginning of your turn, while in hand, move self one position to the right then boost self by 1.

At the end of your turn, if you haven't passed and there are no cards to the right of this card, summon self from your hand to a random allied row, then draw a card.

=> Interesting idea. Probably best synergies with cards like Matta and other drawers.

Doppler: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

=> Needed change and great support for a pure relict/sabbath deck. Wold even increase body to 2 to make him same stats as Vrihedd Vanguard

Elder Bear: Provisions changed from 6 to 4.

=> Needed change. But will still see no competitive play

Caravan Vanguard: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

=> Great support for swarm strategies

Swallow: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Needed change. Now a 6 for 4.

Mahakam Ale: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Also needed change

Scout: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Still completely unplayable

Vaedermakar: Added the Druid category.

=> Compeletly makes sense lore wise and great support for SK druids

Yennefer: Divination: Provisions changed from 9 to 8.

=> In best cases she is a 16 for 8 if NG hyperthin works (into Tibor). Maybe a bit too much.

Triss Merigold: Provisions changed from 9 to 8.

=> This is probably more justified as it sometimes difficult to find a high value opponent

Monsters

White Frost: Added a new part of ability:

Whenever you play a Wild Hunt unit, boost it by 1 if there's Frost in the opposite row.

=> Great frost support and dominance enabler for wild hunt

Ice Giant: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

=> Needed support. Still a 7 for 5. Maybe used in non Devotion Thrive decks.

Hideous Feast: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Needed support 6 for 4 (plus Organic Archas Swarm)

Griffin: Power changed from 8 to 9.

=> Needed support. Can be 8 for 5 which is the new standard

Kikimore Worker: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Needed support. 7 for 4 with downside of Exposed

Red Riders: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

=> Absolutely needed support. Biting frost is a 3 frost for 4 provisions. Red Riders is a 4 frost for 5 provisions.

Ard Gaeth: Provisions changed from 9 to 8.

=> Also need support. Same argument as above

Maerolorn: Power changed from 3 to 4.

=> Combined with harpy egg it is a 10 for 5. Kind of strong to my mind.

Witch Apprentice: Provisions changed from 4 to 5.

=> Needed nerf. Relict decks are compensated by the doppler buff. Would prefer a negative effect if Sabbath is not met.

Skellige

Rage of the Sea: Provisions changed from 14 to 15.

=> Needed support, especially compared to Reckless Fury

Tuirseach Veteran: Berserk requirement changed from 2 to 3.

=> Ok support

Dimun Pirate: Power changed from 7 to 8.

=> Needed support

Raging Bear: Power changed from 7 to 8.

=> Needed support

Disgraced Brawler: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Needed support

Boatbuilders: Added Cooldown: 1

=> Very strong support. Especially combined with Dracoturtle, Terror of the Seas and Arnaghad

An Craite Warcrier: Power changed from 3 to 4.

=> Needed support as 4 body + conditional engine is the new standard

Morkvarg: Added the Pirate category.

Provisions changed from 8 to 7.

=> Also justified boost. Especially in discard the other main target is Tuirseach Skirmisher and this still has 3 provisions less for 1 body less.
=> As a pirate he can now interact with Crach an Craite. Nevertheless, it´s questionable that he will be used in other decks without the discard package

Svalblod Cultist: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Completely reasonable. Healing is a very difficult upside

Northern Realms

Pincer Maneuver: Provisions changed from 16 to 15.

=> Reasonable nerf

Immortal Cavalry: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

=> Very strong support for King Roegner

Cursed Knight: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> A chaeap tech card to attack a Joaquim for instance

Redanian Elite: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Armor changed from 4 to 3.

=> Reasonable buff in days of conditional 7 for 4

War Chariot: Added Cooldown: 3

=> Also reasonable buff. On paper the card was just a slow 9 for 7 and move option.

Reinforced Balista: Power changed from 4 to 3.

Armor changed from 0 to 1.

=> Reasonable nerf, but not enough. I would have simply reduced cooldown to 2.

Scoia'tael

Half-Elf Hunter: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

=> Reasonable harmony buff

Waylay: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Completely reasonable and often demanded by players. Maybe Vanadain will now be stronger.

Dwarven Mercenary: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Reasonable buff in days of conditional 7 for 4

Mahakam Defender: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Needed support as 4 body + conditional engine is the new standard

Dol Blathanna Archer: Power changed from 4 to 5.

=> Still a very bad 7 for 5

Forest Whisperer: Order (Ranged) changed to:

Give an allied unit Vitality for 3 turns.

=> Much better synergizing than the shield

Cat Witcher Saboteur: Power changed from 4 to 5.

=> Reasonable support

Nilfgaard

Imperial Formation: Part of ability changed to:

Once all Charges have been exhausted, move a unit from your deck to the top.

=> Nice support but lore wise soldier fits better

Imprisonment: Provisions changed from 16 to 15.

=> Reasonable nerf

Double Cross: Provisions changed from 17 to 16.

=> Reasonable nerf

Imperial Diplomacy: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Do not see why this should be buffed. It´s a strong special within assimilate

Nilfgaardian Knight: Power changed from 7 to 8.

=> Reasonable buff

Ard Feainn Tortoise: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Reasonable buff

Mage Torturer: Power changed from 4 to 5.

=> Combined with Coup de Crace very strong. So questionable if it needs a buff.

Albrich: Provisions changed from 7 to 6.

=> Completely reasonable buff. Now he is very comparable to Blightmaker

Viper Witcher: Adrenaline 6 effect changed to:

If it's not a Token, Spawn a base copy of that unit at the top of opponent's deck.

=> Reasonable clog nerf

Coated Weapons: Deathblow effect changed to:

If it wasn't a Token, Banish it and Spawn a base copy of it on top of opponents' deck.

=> Here I do not appreciate the nerf. When you target tokens the damage value is mostly reduced

Affan Hillergrand: Provisions changed from 8 to 7.

=> Also reasonable buff

Imperial Golem: Power changed from 11 to 12.

Provisions changed from 7 to 6.

=> Also very reasonable buff

Blightmaker: Provisions changed from 5 to 6.

=> Would have expected a tougher nerf but it´s a step into the right direction

The Guardian: Tier changed from gold to bronze.

Rarity changed from epic to common.

Syndicate

Pirate's Cove: Provisions changed from 15 to 14.

=> Reasonable nerf

Jackpot: Provisions changed from 16 to 15.

=> Reasonable nerf

Smuggle: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Reasonable buff

Arena Ghoul: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Reasonable buff

Arena Endraga: Power changed from 5 to 6.

=> Reasonable buff

Cleaver's Muscle: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

=> Reasonable buff

Bloody Good Friends: Power changed from 5 to 6.

=> Reasonable buff

Adriano the Mink: Added a new part of ability:

Increase the Profit by 1 for each allied Sly Seductress.

=> Reasonable buff

Whoreson Junior: Power changed from 5 to 4.

=> Reasonable nerf. But would appreciate a boost opponent units rework for whole SY cutups

=> To sum it up I think that the patch goes into the right direction. But I miss a few stuff:

1. SY should maybe get some more nerfs (and of course a boost opponent units)
2. NG Blightmaker also should be nerfed more.
3. Not yet convinced that they really want to push hyperthin as it´s very vulnerable to mill
4. Would appreciate Oneiromancy to get an conditional echo

rrc

Forum veteran
Furthermore Morkvarg is, in the case of discard decks, an overpriced Skirmisher, like Affan is an overpriced Mage Assassin, which is why Affan, Morkvarg and Albrich are getting buffed.
Let me get understand this aspect of your argument. You are saying that NG and SK has got 4P 4 points similar thinning cards which make the 8P 5 points thinning card look bad and hence they got buffed? So, for ST and NR to get similar buff, they should also get a 4P 4 power similar thinning card?

I don't know, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Now that SK and NG has a 7P 5 strength sommon-on-a-condition, shouldn't that same logic be applied and both Aelirenn and NR guy be buffed?

Let me get understand this aspect of your argument. You are saying that NG and SK has got 4P 4 points similar thinning cards which make the 8P 5 points thinning card look bad and hence they got buffed? So, for ST and NR to get similar buff, they should also get a 4P 4 power similar thinning card?
[...]
It is not that they look bad in comparison, they are bad in comparison (5 for 8 instead of 4 for 4).

[...]
I don't know, but that doesn't make any sense to me. Now that SK and NG has a 7P 5 strength sommon-on-a-condition, shouldn't that same logic be applied and both Aelirenn and NR guy be buffed?
Morkvarg and Affan are requiring specific triggers from other cards being expended on them (like a discard or topdeck), while Aelirenn and Hubert do not require specific effects being expended on them and rather just a condition being met (having x cards with y tag on the board or having used x type of effect y times).
The difference is that the trigger for Morkvarg and Affan is a cost, while for Aelirenn and Hubert the trigger is a condition (which does not cost you points to meet).

Not being able to clog tokens with Kolgrim decks feels like playing chess without the king figure. You're removing one important part of the archetype. To be honest this archetype is one of the worst, specially with all this Korathi Heatwave meta. It needs a couple of buffs imo, not nerfs. Sure it can be annoying to play against but the archetype is just terrible, the same thing happens to mill. These two can be annoying sure but both are terrible. They need some buffs, not nerfs. Problem with Kolgrim is simple, remove defender and you win, you don't even need to kill Kolgrim, a simple reset will do the trick. Kolgrim can be easily killed as well with a couple of bronzes (boats, traps and so on) with defender on board. It sucks. Problem with mill is related to first round mulligans. You don't draw any Kingslayer first round and is literally an autolose, and this happens a lot. Also the power strength in mill decks is non existant. You don't have enough points to win in a normal round, that's why you need your opponent to have 0 cards in his deck at the end of second round in order to win the game. Kolgrim archetype need buffs, not nerfs. Mill needs more consistency or more points, one of those. What I say is a fact. I know saying this is controversial but it's the truth. Besides there are more op and powerful decks in the game but people only cry about useless Kolgrim archetype cuz is a bit annoying. Meh, not fair I guess.

Regarding Morkvarg's change being a pirate is a bit weird... by that time he was not a pirate anymore. It was a cursed being, a monster, so he doesn't need the pirate tag in the werewolf version.

Well done with all the other changes, at least the majority of them. Keep it up.

Oh no, neither clog nor mill should ever be tier 1 or 0. Some decks would just completely ruin the game if they got too strong, and these are two examples of that.

(Shouldn't need stating, but the above is just my opinion.)
To be honest all tier 0 decks ruin the game. That's why balance is important. I don't want Clog/Mill be Tier 1, much less tier 0. But I want them to be viable, cuz right now they're not. Token nerf was unnecessary.

Token nerf was unnecessary.
No, it was deserved. Now clog players will have to use their clogging resources more carefully, instead of just hitting the nearest treant or drone or whatever token. And it will be less annoying to deal with clogging as one's deck won't be full of utter junk; only having duplicates of cards that actually are in the deck (well, or in the opponent's deck in case of spies) is much fairer.

Update 9.1 is the Patch between the release of the first and second drop of the Price of Power expansion.
My Perceptions:

1. I believe this will be the least impactful patch on the meta since I started playing a year and half ago. SY has been totally dominant, and the minimal nerfs there are more than offset by significant nerfs to NG which was the only faction even marginally able to compete.

2. Sunset Wanderers is a very interesting, new card with wonderful art. I think it will prove a bit too powerful, but time will tell. Regardless, I look forward to playing it.

3. Buffs to Yennefer and Triss, (solely to buff the hyper thin archetype) are horribly misguided — but I’ve addressed that elsewhere.

4. Other neutral buffs all look good. Caravan Vanguard has become a serious consideration. And Mahakam Ale might be considered as a purify alternative in a world where locks have become cheap.

5. In monsters, I appreciate most the buffs to ice giant and griffin. But I have not enjoyed the faction since they stole my beloved Fleder and converted it to have a generic ability with sole usefulness in Vampire decks. I will probably not play monsters again until they bring back an acceptable replacement (a flexible, eventually tall, enginish unit that doesn’t require particular cards to trigger and has potentially interesting side effects or strategic implications).

6. In Skellige, I especially appreciate buffs to Tuirseach Veteran and Raging Bear. Buff to Svalblod Cultist is necessary, but still insufficient to allow the card as a backup for when Svalblod priest is not drawn. (For me, the biggest drawback to berserk/self damage decks is inconsistency drawing priests.) The pirate tag for Morkvark is interesting — a great change, but the provision buff — in my opinion — supports only the worst, most broken aspects of Skellige: Lippy and power slam discard variants.

7. My reaction to NR changes is kind of meh. I like the change to war chariot, but I doubt it is sufficient to make anyone actually play the card. I love the change to cursed knight — but honestly, it has never been the provision cost that deterred me from playing it; it is that NR has so many useful low provision cards that I always find something preferable. Now giving it zeal and a cooldown might actually enable Sabrina’s inferno decks.

8. If anything this patch displays just how lame ST bronzes are. Not only do the cards still feel weak, many of them were already go to bronzes.

9. Regarding NG: I believe the nerf to Blightmaker is horribly misguided — but I’ve addressed that elsewhere. The leader nerfs were definitely appropriate — and these leaders remain the strongest in the game.

10. I like the handling of clog to allow it to only duplicate cards the opponent actually chose for a deck. It doesn’t nerf the idea of a clog archetype into the ground but still deters the practice of selecting low provision cards solely to hoard provisions for OP gold cards without desire to actually play the cheap cards.

11. Except for the change to Adriano the Mink (which is interesting), I think the changes to SY are meaningless. The nerfs don’t address the problems with faction balance, and provision buffs to junk cards, in the end, still leave junk cards. I guess changes to smuggle might salvage the card.

My favorite change:
"

"
LOL.. Am I missing something? Why even waste pixels announcing this??? :)

A couple nerfs to my beloved NG that should quiet some of the naysayers. And Why does it seem that in every patch the only changes to SK are increase points, or decreased provisions... Do they do this on purpose or did they forget which was which :)

unfortunately, nothing done to commandos/foltest and jackpot/pirates cove didn't see enough. whoreson was a good start but either siggi/cesar interaction, or poison brothers need a nerf

My favorite change:
"

"
LOL.. Am I missing something? Why even waste pixels announcing this??? :)
this actually has some meaning for NG or MO players, since naglfar and roderick could offer you guardian as 1 of 2 gold options (if your opponents mixes one into your deck at least).

Guest 4375874

Solid patch, but some important changes are either not enough or not there at all.

Witch apprentice - not enough! 1 prov changes nothing. This card should be 3 for 5, or 4 for 6.
Koshchey or Endrega Larva- no nerf? Seriously? Whoreson was too strong, but Koshchey is OK?
White frost - i like that you are adding passives to leaders, but i think this one is a miss. Something like this would be better: At the end of your turn, boost a random allied unit by 2 for every empty row with Frost on it.
Clogg - good changes, half a year late, but i'm still glad that you finaly realized this was a HUGE problem.
Sunset Wanderers - interesting card, i can't wait to try some crazy shenanigans with mulligan and deck manipulation :)
What was the nerf to clog? Excluding Tokens? That doesn't solve the problem imo.

What was the nerf to clog? Excluding Tokens? That doesn't solve the problem imo.
The only solution to the mill/clog/thin problem is nerfing, nerfing and nerfing them until they are burnt to the ground, and then salting the earth.
But too many cards have to be reworked to weed out these diseases, so I doubt anything decent will be done at all.

Guest 4375874

Update 9.1 is the Patch between the release of the first and second drop of the Price of Power expansion.

It focuses on fixing a number of gameplay bugs while adjusting the strength of a group of cards across all factions.

Besides that, it sets the stage for our upcoming WitcherCon event.

But who are we kidding, the biggest highlight is Vaedermakar getting his deserved Druid category.
Changes
Neutral

New unit: Sunset Wanderers

Witcher, 1 power, 11 provisions.

This card starts in the leftmost position of your hand.

At the beginning of your turn, while in hand, move self one position to the right then boost self by 1.

At the end of your turn, if you haven't passed and there are no cards to the right of this card, summon self from your hand to a random allied row, then draw a card.

Doppler: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

Elder Bear: Provisions changed from 6 to 4.

Caravan Vanguard: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

Swallow: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Mahakam Ale: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Scout: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Vaedermakar: Added the Druid category.

Yennefer: Divination: Provisions changed from 9 to 8.

Triss Merigold: Provisions changed from 9 to 8.

Monsters

White Frost: Added a new part of ability:

Whenever you play a Wild Hunt unit, boost it by 1 if there's Frost in the opposite row.

Ice Giant: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

Hideous Feast: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Griffin: Power changed from 8 to 9.

Kikimore Worker: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Red Riders: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

Ard Gaeth: Provisions changed from 9 to 8.

Maerolorn: Power changed from 3 to 4.

Witch Apprentice: Provisions changed from 4 to 5.

Skellige

Rage of the Sea: Provisions changed from 14 to 15.

Tuirseach Veteran: Berserk requirement changed from 2 to 3.

Dimun Pirate: Power changed from 7 to 8.

Raging Bear: Power changed from 7 to 8.

Disgraced Brawler: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Boatbuilders: Added Cooldown: 1

An Craite Warcrier: Power changed from 3 to 4.

Morkvarg: Added the Pirate category.

Provisions changed from 8 to 7.

Svalblod Cultist: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Northern Realms

Pincer Maneuver: Provisions changed from 16 to 15.

Immortal Cavalry: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

Cursed Knight: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Redanian Elite: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Armor changed from 4 to 3.

War Chariot: Added Cooldown: 3

Reinforced Balista: Power changed from 4 to 3.

Armor changed from 0 to 1.

Scoia'tael

Half-Elf Hunter: Provisions changed from 6 to 5.

Waylay: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Dwarven Mercenary: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Mahakam Defender: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Dol Blathanna Archer: Power changed from 4 to 5.

Forest Whisperer: Order (Ranged) changed to:

Give an allied unit Vitality for 3 turns.

Cat Witcher Saboteur: Power changed from 4 to 5.

Nilfgaard

Imperial Formation: Part of ability changed to:

Once all Charges have been exhausted, move a unit from your deck to the top.

Imprisonment: Provisions changed from 16 to 15.

Double Cross: Provisions changed from 17 to 16.

Imperial Diplomacy: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Nilfgaardian Knight: Power changed from 7 to 8.

Ard Feainn Tortoise: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Mage Torturer: Power changed from 4 to 5.

Albrich: Provisions changed from 7 to 6.

Viper Witcher: Adrenaline 6 effect changed to:

If it's not a Token, Spawn a base copy of that unit at the top of opponent's deck.

Coated Weapons: Deathblow effect changed to:

If it wasn't a Token, Banish it and Spawn a base copy of it on top of opponents' deck.

Affan Hillergrand: Provisions changed from 8 to 7.

Imperial Golem: Power changed from 11 to 12.

Provisions changed from 7 to 6.

Blightmaker: Provisions changed from 5 to 6.

Syndicate

Pirate's Cove: Provisions changed from 15 to 14.

Jackpot: Provisions changed from 16 to 15.

Smuggle: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Arena Ghoul: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Arena Endraga: Power changed from 5 to 6.

Cleaver's Muscle: Provisions changed from 5 to 4.

Bloody Good Friends: Power changed from 5 to 6.

Adriano the Mink: Added a new part of ability:

Increase the Profit by 1 for each allied Sly Seductress.

Whoreson Junior: Power changed from 5 to 4.
New Features

Automatic milling settings are now stored on the account, rather than on the device.

WitcherCon Festival - starting 2 days after 9.1 release
Game Fixes
Dead Man's Tongue will no longer show the deck in order.

Cards such as Dire Bear, Cahir Dyffryn and Black Blood no longer count base power increases as boosting.

Mage Assassin can no longer be Summoned from the top of the deck during the opponent's turn.

Ethereal will now properly transform Demons.

Cintrian Envoy will now show all card types as intended, not only units.

Reinforced Ballista's Cooldown will now correctly refresh at the beginning of the turn, not the end of the turn.

Megascope and Dol Blathanna Whisperer will now reset their Counter correctly when leaving the board.

Shader issue affecting visuals of Adrenaline and Shield is fixed.
1. Clog will not be deterred by just excluding tokens, it's still an uninteractive mechanic that removes any strategy from the game. If you won't remove it then add more faction cards to the game that manipulate the opponents decks.
2. Koschey needs a nerf
3. Blightmaker /Mage Assassin does too much for a bronze thinning card.
4. The nerf to Whoreson Jnr feels like a bad joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom