..._ V } Woman or Man?

+
I played both male and female V and like both but i think the female V is my favorite.

In Baldur's Gate 3 early access, the devs even made a post about it (which people took completely wrong and completely missed the point) saying that the overwhelming majority of characters made were the most basic Human Male you could think of, something a premade character would be.

I would be willing to bet money that if CDPR tracked such things, they would arrive at the same results. White Male with a stubble and short dark brown hair.

i'm a guy and honestly i find the female VA's 100% better in just about every game i've played since the early 90s. Baring Mass Effect, that game was made for Male VA. Female Dwarf in Bg3 EA so far as been fucking great :)

I am a woman, it's not a breaking news , but I wanted to make a man, play a male character, funny at first. unfortunately it didn't work with my state of mind. the man of my life told me; you are, maybe too feminine? Yes maybe.
the male character V, from my point of view; it is first of all the voice. the freedom to think; I don't like the English male V voice. nor in Russian, French or Japanese.
V is a woman, according to me. it's up to everyone to think what they want in this feeling of gameplay.

Street kid; White woman, Nomad; Black woman, Corpo; Japanese woman.

So this is one thing that CDPR got right in cyberpunk, V is whatever you want him/her/they to be. I mean you can be a man, a woman, a trans, anything. While I kind of disagree with how then they limit the choices or romances when they open up so much in V, I still understand why they did what they did.

But of all the complaints I have about Cyberpunk, V being anything you can imagine her to be sexually, biologically, and identifingly is pretty good.

I would really like a game where choosing the protagonist sex has some real C&C throughout the story; the settings have to be something like medioeval times or a fictional society with rigid castes and were each sex had his strict role. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen, not in today society where everybody is offended so easily and where witch-hunts are returning in the form of social campaigns, cancel culture, shaming people for not conforming to the mainstream, etc...

Seems that developers are more comfortable with rampant presentism than with this. I can understand why - if you're going to portray inequality then you've got to be completely accurate about it and give it serious treatment, otherwise you fall foul of that word 'gratuitous'. Now there was a time when that would just bring the critics down on your head, but like you said, it seems like the internet has spawned a vast tide of anger over these things. Could be for the best in the long run. Better than not saying anything about it at all, like in the past.

I'm guy and play male V first for my self-image, he. Nomad.
Second time for Streetkid, I wanted Mr. T (black guy from A-Team) but it looks too skinny, so I picked a bad black guy from the movie "Demolition Man".
I had planned for third time with female V as Corpo .. but didnt finished second playthrough.

Canon V is female. All 3 lifepaths have very feminine intro missions with street kid & corpo being the most glaring.. The quality difference in voice acting, the stronger creator depth, the direction with Judy & Panam being clearly written as lover & best friend... There's so many instances it shows throughout the game.. The funniest to me is Venus in Furs.. Play it as male then play it directly after as female. It's hilarious.

My template that I've been evolving is Asian-Latin with a touch of southern Eastern Bloc...

I'm similar to this, I'm Israeli-Sicilian-Native American & a touch Irish.
I found it cool also that V's circle is ethnically similar to mine.. These things helped me connect super easily.

- I was born white, I was born a street kid. the violence of the streets, I know.
after 4 years of suffering in the hospital, I was just a little girl, a Black Woman told me about her life, far from the cities like a gypsy; a bohemian life. she gave me precious life advice. teenager I did my young life like her.
finally, I'm leaving for Japan. a coincidence of life, long story, a chance, offers me higher studies in Japan. I would be highly educated in many areas. I rubbed shoulders with a harsh world, "Corpo", to be dressed like a Lady not like a street woman, a hooker.
that's Why...
...although this world forbids us everything and imposes a single thought.

Last edited:
Canon V is female. All 3 lifepaths have very feminine intro missions with street kid & corpo being the most glaring.. The quality difference in voice acting, the stronger creator depth, the direction with Judy & Panam being clearly written as lover & best friend... There's so many instances it shows throughout the game.. The funniest to me is Venus in Furs.. Play it as male then play it directly after as female. It's hilarious.

My template that I've been evolving is Asian-Latin with a touch of southern Eastern Bloc...

I'm similar to this, I'm Israeli-Sicilian-Native American & a touch Irish.
I found it cool also that V's circle is ethnically similar to mine.. These things helped me connect super easily.
Do you mean, the race and ethnicity of your character?

Mine would be Polish and Japanese. I guess lol.

Mine's a woman for I find it very hard to attach myself to a male character.
Truth is, in most games, if it's a woman, I'll do my best to make her survive while when it's a male, it's almost I don't give a shit if he get killed...
:shrug:

...although this world forbids us everything and imposes a single thought.

you had a tough life i understand. But everybody can be everyone, why a black woman can be the head of the biggest corporation in the world? why a white woman cannot have the right to hate to be confined in a city because she want to explore the world? a oriental girl can be born in a very poor family with barely something to eat, so she is a "street girl", life is very complex and not only white or black. (sorry for my lack of expression i am not english so sometimes, for me is difficult to find all the right words)

you had a tough life i understand. But everybody can be everyone, why a black woman can be the head of the biggest corporation in the world? why a white woman cannot have the right to hate to be confined in a city because she want to explore the world? a oriental girl can be born in a very poor family with barely something to eat, so she is a "street girl", life is very complex and not only white or black. (sorry for my lack of expression i am not english so sometimes, for me is difficult to find all the right words)
You have to ask the question backwards;
How I, a girl of nothing, a bad girl, have the right to an advice from a Black Woman? This precious advice from this wonderful woman will lead me to Japan; to become a "respectable woman" and then to fall into organized crime.
I was released from prison after 13 years of total isolation. Hacker woman, very sensitive data thief and worse.
Why am I alive? Why did I benefit of a rigged trial? Why I was not sentence to life?
Why? => it does not have the slightest importance for me, except; my freedom of thought.

Male here, and I have no problems playing either male or female. In third person games, I even have a strong preference for playing female (rule of butt). So I guess I have this "game character disconnection" mentioned earlier.
Doesn't mean I'm totally disconnected from what my character does in game. I'm just too nice a person to ever manage a full renegade playthrough in a game like Mass Effect 2. Neutral? Yeah, I can manage that. Nice or Paragon? Yeah, upto about 95%, since in some cases, NPCs just deserve the worst of treatments. But renegade? Sorry, no.

My characters in games identify with me, I don't identify with them. I'm still totally immersed in my games (which has absolutely nothing to do with realism), but I just don't identify with my characters. They inherit part of me, but I am not a single one of them.

Male and I play as a female V.

Then again, in games where there is a choice of male or female, I always play as female. Possibly due to my age and the countless years of playing games where the protagonist is fixed as male whether you like it or not. It gets dull eventually.

Besides, (although not so relevant with CP77) if it's a third person game, I'd rather look at an attractive female for a couple of hundred hours than a bloke....

i liked male V's voice especially during emotional moments when i watched my girlfriend play i found female V kinda corny, maybe its cuz i played through game as male V and its the same lines

Im a White Male. I always play as such.
Feels weird walking around as anything but that in a game with a choice.
But i also dont play many games where im not at liberty to choose what I am.
Horizon:ZD being one of those

How about neither. I do not get the impression that they made the game to focus on one of the V's. The voice acting seems better for female V, while some of the choices may sometimes be better for the male V and then again, the clothing seems to be better for female V, it doesnt look like any of that was really intentional. Just the way it panned out with the time constraints and or choices they made during development.
I believe people are overthinking this.

If a game gives me a male character, I play male and if its female I will play female. Though I have a preference for games that give me a blank sheet as a character and I make the character the way I want it to be. And eventhough I'm female I'll even make male characters and play those. Choice like that is good and exploring different options is even better. I recommend it.

I'd say "Female V"

Once they get the NPC system up to par; the game should be more entertaining. Only reason I'd pick female is because the lifestyle and engagement is so much more risky when your doing it as a woman. Just look at it from all three life paths. With Corpo, your an employee with a strong personality. At times you can come off as a complete witch, but people still test you. In your personal life, you get portrayed very earlier and are forced to make new friends. When your a woman this can become very dangerous because in a place like NC you could easily become a victim within seconds. This is all based off the idea that the NPC system is non-passive. So until they activate this, we have to use our imaginations.

Not to say that CDPR is not creative, but the threat level in Night City as bad as they talked it up to be. Being a sexy female V with tattoos and risky clothing; it's obvious that there are areas you wouldn't wan to be caught dead in. As night falls over this neo-metropolis; freaks of all kinds of lurking the streets. A female V may have to think before she chooses an exit. Unless she's equipped with the latest Arasaka gear; I wouldn't want to be caught dead in Pacifica after 9:00pm. Let's pretend that "Corpo-Female V" is approached by a few thugs in a back alley. Should she fear for her life having corpo backing? Dialogue options could could possibly work in a sketchy scenario; but depending on the district; V may be a long way from home.

How does word travel in Night City? If your female-V went to a back alley club and stirred up some trouble; one would expect for a price to be put on her head. Going back to the same club could be fatal. What are the consequences behind such a decision? Maybe NPC's seek your out, rather than waiting for your return?

Top Bottom