A Better Weather Solution

+
A Better Weather Solution

From what I've heard from the stream I think you're overthinking weather. Here is what a friend and I have conjured up that makes more sense that your latest idea.

The most damage Bronze weather should be able to inflict per turn is 2. Rain should damage one of the lowest units by 2. Fog should damage one of the highest units by 2. And Frost should damage up to 2 units in a row by 1.

The most damage Silver weather should be able to inflict per turn is 4. White Frost already works written as-is. And Skellige Storm should inflict 2,1 and 1. Storm would have the distinction of being able to damage 3 units a turn on a single row.

And then the most damage Gold weather should be able to inflict per turn is 6. Which is what RNR and Drought do already!

Q.E.D. Perfect symmetry.

I think weather was okay, maybe frost needed a tweak like the idea that it could hit the highest and lowest unit for one (and allow levelling to affect more units). It should be something you have to play around and it should demand an answer IMO. I always packed a few clear skies in my decks and I think choosing when to use them was a good tactical consideration. Now I feel weather is destroyed. Hitting me for two damage per turn per row max? Yeah I can live with that, not going to bother clearing it, probs just pack a decoy instead of any clears incase something integral gets weathered.

I can't help feeling that, if axemen were the problem (and they were), wouldn't it be better just to buff them when a unit was "wounded" (lets say this is damage specifically inflicted by units / unit effects and not weather or special cards). It feels a little like in dealing with one skellige problem they've compleately invalidated two of the monsters core archetypes and arguably one of STs.

hblanche;n9064540 said:
The most damage Silver weather should be able to inflict per turn is 4. White Frost already works written as-is. And Skellige Storm should inflict 2,1 and 1. Storm would have the distinction of being able to damage 3 units a turn on a single row.

It's not really perfect symmetry because you can't really judge weather in a vacuum, it's not only about points but also about synergies.

Right now Skellige Storm also can be blocked by gold cards and it's easier to clear because it targets one row.
Frost has synergies with giant, nithral and Imlerith and probably more to come.

Personally i liked SS at 3,2,1 and the change wasn't really needed.

hblanche;n9064540 said:
Rain should damage one of the lowest units by 2. Fog should damage one of the highest units by 2. And Frost should damage up to 2 units in a row by 1.
Vamsi2k999;n9075320 said:
Did not like the change made to frost. could have let it damage atleast 2 units
Totally agree with this. Also, Frost hitting only one unit makes little sense for consistency with cards like Caranthir.

However I think weather dealing max 2dmg per turn is too much a severe nerf/kill for the mechanic and for decks based on it (Dagon).
I mean, weather clearly needed some adjustment because it currently forces most decks to occupy too many slots just for anti-weather cards, and that's not good, but after the patch it will be totally outclassed even by Lacerate for the purpose of countering row-stacking. IMO weather is tought as a core mechanic of the game and watching it disappear could lead to other balance issues.
It's ok to try and see what happens after these changes, that's what an open beta is for, but the perfect balance for weather probably still has to be found in a future update.

Top Bottom