A chat about Single Player in Gwent.

+
A chat about Single Player in Gwent.

So I was reading through one of the threads here and I saw this post by a CD Projekt Red person regarding single player:

- You will be able to buy the single player campaign that will be self contained and with a great story - you get cards in the campaign and unlock new ones when you progress in the game - you don't have to do PVP at all to be able to enjoy Gwent. You pay once for the single player and enjoy a great story done by writers and quest designers from W3.

I also saw this:

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought the story is part of the f2p. That's not a problem though, I'd pay for everything you guys make.
So can you give us information about the price, or even more important, will we be able to buy the singleplayer already in the closed beta?
Cannot share price at this point - but it will not be in the closed beta (where we are focusing on servers and balance).

And :

Rafal_Jaki, can you give us information about singleplayer - it is possible to buy a campaign for in-game money?
There is no decision on this yet

I figure this is a important matter to discuss.

On the one hand, I can see the argument for selling the Single Player for money. Gwent will have a free to play multiplayer element and not everyone will have the desire to play it. Plus a lot of effort is being put into said Single P,layer.

However, I am extrodinarily worried by the potential precedent this may cause. For example, I can see a lot of other companies charging seperatly for single and multiplayer rather then including the full pacakge in their game, and justifying it by looking at this game as a precedent.

Now everyone will call me mad for thinking this might occur. But they said the same about season passes and preorder bonuses when they were first tried out and now look! They are everywhere! I do NOT want seperate multiplayer and single player becoming a precedent.

Now, I am given to understand that in Hearthstone (According to one post I saw here) you can unlock the single player for in game currency. And if that is the case maybe that would also be a good option for Gwent. (Feel free to discuss this idea below)

But I'm gonna raise a counter argument. I know that the inspiration for Gwent even HAVING a single player in the first place was... I can't remember the game right now actualy. But I do know I played it. And I ALSO know it's single player was included in the game itself.

I can see both arguments for and agiant to be honest. And I'm not going to be the guy to influence itheither way. But I DO want to hear YOUR thoughts on the matter.

So tell me: What should be the fate of single Player in Gwent? Incuded free of charge? Pay for it? Allow in game currency to pay? Other option to post below?

While the single player campaigns will not be free to play, we will always aim to ensure that you feel you are getting value for your money. :)

I have no concern in that regard. I personaly am happy to pay for the single player and I know I will get more then what I pay for probably. Of that i have no doubt. :)

Rather my main concerns are 1: the potential precedent it could set in gaming as a whole, or maybe just card games, or selling the two parts of single and multi seperately for more money, as well as potential negative recption on gwent when this matter is more well know. I know when I mentioned it to a friend he was not happy, which is why I made the thread as a talking point on the matter. Although I think his main concern was if single player could give a advantage to multiplayer. To quote his question he asked me: "single player isnt something that can be taken into multiplayer right"

While we are on the topic of Gwent Single Player, I do think prices are not confirmed yet, but i am confused on one thing from the wording of this and another post on the matter. namely, do I have to pay for each campaign seperatly, or is the campaign a one tme payment? I beleive there will be 4 Campains, one for each deck, and I'm not agiant paying for additional campaigns, but I think personally it'd be looked on kinder if it was a 1 payment for all 4 campagins/one payment for all cmpaigns ever, rather then having to pay for each campaign seperately. Then again, I ALSO think that prices come into that a reat deal as well so I can't really judgee.

it's pretty unfair comparing Gwent to Hearthstone SP ,, one game is RPG with an open world (though not the usual camera angle this time) and the other is just a series of games againt AI.

it's pretty unfair comparing Gwent to Hearthstone SP ,, one game is RPG with an open world (though not the usual camera angle this time) and the other is just a series of games againt AI.

I do agree it's unfair. It was not even really supposed to be a comparison. I know little of heartstone and made sure to preface it by saying it was just what I read.

A thought: How would you all feel about a kind of free campaign to convince people to buy the others? For example, a free maybe shorter campaign following some Geralt adventure, and then for each campain faction you would need to pay? it offers a full campaign for free, while convicing people to buy the others.

Okay so the single player will be separate but I think it would be nice to at the end of the campaign get at least something you could show off in your multiplayer deck.

Something cosmetic to keep the game fair like an alternative leader portrait or an alternative artwork for some of the more unique cards, what do you guys think?

I agree with both of the2 last posts .. The way I see it is that the Geralt adventure or as they call it (tutorial) would be free but not the faction campaigns and they should reward not only completion of said campaigns but also the decisions you made while completing them by giving you unique premium card arts but you have to unlock the cards in MP individualy.

I believe there will be a tutorial (or a "prologue" if you will) that will act like a tutorial to the SP campaigns. The one that was shown the press I believe, with Geralt as the protagonist. Would that be included in the main game maybe? Just to show people how awesome the SP concept is and to convince them to buy the packs? :) Even if it is just half an hour to an hour, it might be a really good opportunity to capitalize on. Just my two cents :)

I'm completely okay with paying for the SP campaigns though, I must say, from what I have read about them. Isometric camera angles with choice and consequences, while Gwent cards acting as your army? Count me in! :) That's actually a pretty deep concept for the SP campaign in a "card game". I'm sure it will deserve its price. And we are getting the actual Gwent game for free to boot. It'll be more like an episodic release with the F2P main game, as far as I understand. I cannot see this setting a precedent (or rather, if people start this thing first with a CDPR game, they will be sorely disappointed with the amount of content in other companies' games, and the trend will kill itself :) ).

(...)

So tell me: What should be the fate of single Player in Gwent? Incuded free of charge? Pay for it? Allow in game currency to pay? Other option to post below?

I see great discussion in this thread and that makes me happy! I'm pleased. Most gamers think they deserve free stuff just because they play the game and/or invested some money. :)

I'm totally fine with the campaigns being p2p! How else will CDPR pay for all this? What if most ppl don't buy packs in MP? I believe the campaigns will be awesome with that world map and branching paths and stuff. It may even be a great way to ignite the urge for single-player ppl only to try their skills in MP :) . Paying for 10+ hrs campaigns with seperate cards is totally fair! If we are able to pay for it with in-game currency that's totally fine too.

Actually, in a recent interview (at the ~5:11 mark), Damien Monnier, reminded us that CDPR always strive for great value. He also said later "put pressure on us to never change". I'm confident they will make it worthwhile paying real money for campaigns! :)

Last edited:
Paying for campaigns is also for me totally fair. I don't understand why people think differently.
What do you expect? They will give you everything for free? Why should they?

We have confirmed 5 factions = 50 hours of story.
Cutscenes, dialogs, graphic designers, programmers, new music created specially for the game (big costs to play to all employees involve in the production).

Im only interested how we get these stories, we know we get them in episodes. But episode mean (one episode = one 10hr long faction story or that 10hr also cut in episodes?) To be honest I don't really want to fallow 5 different stories in the same time cut into episodes. Is like reading 5 different books the same time and changing books every chapter.

I remember reading that the scenarios themselves will be sold separately (and will be published separately), as in Northern Realms, and then Nilfgaard and so on (for example). I don't know if it's correct though. I think that is a much more sensible way.

I also think that paying for SP is completely fair. Hopefully this way they will have the funds to add more campaigns later on. ;)

Last edited:
Oh, wow..that is HUGE news..thank you!

Can confirm that single player decks are separate from multiplayer decks

---------- Updated at 01:49 AM ----------

I agree with this point! I am all for cosmetics, or titles for doing anything really. Cardbacks included!! I am sure they will come through on this!!

Something cosmetic to keep the game fair like an alternative leader portrait or an alternative artwork for some of the more unique cards, what do you guys think?

---------- Updated at 01:51 AM ----------

LOL..Right?!?!? The stage is all yours..

I'm intrigued. Please, go on. . . .

Interesting, the single player adventures not being able to get for free (like grind for currency) will certainly get attacked when inevitably compared to Hearthstone and it's Solo Adventures.

Although, if SP is separated from MP, that would mean you can get the cards either way, right? This will probably be a big factor for people.

All that's left is too see if the SP campaigns are good enough to draw people in, Hearthstone's Solo Adventures aren't anything special, just a new board and some voice acting to fit the theme of the cards, would it be considered entitlement to expect more from this game though :3 ?

@RazzyBoyRo From what we know, the SP will actually be a top-down role-playing game with dialogues, choices, movement and so on. And your battles will be determined by a game of Gwent. It will be simulation of the battle between your army and the enemy's. The cards will be soldiers, and you will obtain them by talking to people, exploration and so on. It's just leaps and bounds ahead of Solo Adventures of Hearthstone, so it shouldn't even be compared ;)

Actually, having to pay for the single player very much reasures me. It means it really might be meaty !

I'll gladly pay for it !

Top Bottom