A common problem in world building

+
This is not particular related to just CP, but almost all games in which some sort of healing mechanic is used.

Obviously just using CP here as an example. I bet most people when played the game and Jackie were shot, wondered why doesn't V or himself just pop a heath inhaler? :)

I think this in almost all games create a problem whenever a character has to die and there is no way to save them because they have been shot with an arrow or gun or whatever, yet your own character might be able to cast healing spells, have tons of healing potions etc.

In CP this could be very easily explained as I see it, simply by V asking or telling Jackie, to use a health inhaler after they fall through the window. And he could simply say that he lost them during the fall or they were destroyed. This could then be followed up with a quick comment about how V can't use his/her as these are linked to a person's DNA are something like that..

Surely it would require some changes in regards to the overall world and V picking up random health stuff and using them. But I still think it's sort of weird why the story writers don't take these things into consideration when they world build, because it such a simple explanation or solution that wouldn't really change a lot in regards to how the game works. And even if they need some sort of health stuff that works on everyone for specific quests, they could just make the lore that these are extremely expensive and something that only Trauma team use or people with access he high tech healing kits.

I think it would be much more difficult in fantasy games, with healing potions and magic, because the rules for these in most cases are very loose in regards to what and when they can and can't do things.

Again this is not a specific critic of CP, because pretty much all games fails at this, whenever healing stuff is introduced and someone has to die a tragic death. :)

I mean, you can stealth the whole mission perfectly and he still dies, so the inability to use a healing potion isn't the extent of the railroading here. I totally agree with your point, but unfortunately that stuff is everywhere in this game.

Hey,
I think it's eventually fine.

In many games, you can just eat or sleep to restore health and that's fine, right?
You don't wanna go through a rehabilitation and lifetime inability to stand or fight :D

I think the point here is that Jackie was just unlucky and got hit more badly, causing some (heavy) bleeding, which would require medical treatment, hospitalization, and time to deal with.

Of course, it's the story vs. the gameplay "potions", though...I mean...what can you do? :D
If V takes 5 bullets to the brain and uses a potion to heal to full health in 5 seconds, that' just fine, right?

This is not particular related to just CP, but almost all games in which some sort of healing mechanic is used.

Obviously just using CP here as an example. I bet most people when played the game and Jackie were shot, wondered why doesn't V or himself just pop a heath inhaler? :)

This is skipped over a tad, but its due to the fact that Arasaka security is so tight you are not allowed anything on your person entering the hotel. From CP lore, there are aspects that preclude allowing people in to secure areas with items. Things like nanites, nerve agents, miniaturized high yield explosives, DNA vectored viruses, rogue AI etc etc.

You and Jackie are booked in with one specified item - The bot for a "sale" to Arasaka. You have nothing else on your person.

V could haven taken the relic in the first place and Jackie would have been killed by Adam Smasher, a shot of armor piercing rounds thru the windshield and seat hitting his head. Problem solved.

Well. Jacky did not master the inhaler spam. ;)

Yes. It's a common problem in world building. Just like plot armor and cutscene powers.

They could easily have mitigated the problem by jacky using an inhaler and saying that the would does not stop bleeding and is not closing.

Case closed.

Just headcanon that you're just being grazed for most of your damage while Jackie had his liver destroyed and quickly bled out. You need to be able to separate narrative and gameplay to some degree if you want to have actual player damage. Synthskin is a thing so everyone's armored up to a degree. It's not unreasonable for things to be glancing blows until they aren't.

This is skipped over a tad, but its due to the fact that Arasaka security is so tight you are not allowed anything on your person entering the hotel. From CP lore, there are aspects that preclude allowing people in to secure areas with items. Things like nanites, nerve agents, miniaturized high yield explosives, DNA vectored viruses, rogue AI etc etc.

You and Jackie are booked in with one specified item - The bot for a "sale" to Arasaka. You have nothing else on your person.
You are just not allowed to bring weapons in there. It's not like I think its a huge problem, it's just something that I guess all people when playing games, sort of ignore or accept :D

Top Bottom