A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @Verrenus, I just wanted to thank you so much for the new set of tweaks you recently posted under point 12 of the first page! For me, they really make a huge difference, as I have never seen my game running this fluently and also very consistently so. I have been using some of your recommended settings (maximum pre-rendered frames, Physx to CPU etc.) before, but abandoning in-game vsync and using triple buffering in the Nvidia system settings together with your other suggestions did improve so much for me! The most amazing thing is, that I just have just arrived at Novigrad after close to 100hrs of gameplay (yeah, I am really easily getting distracted by exploration, thus taking it slow ;)) and even there my performance is wonderful. I had expected at least some hiccups, as I've read Novigrad can be quite heavy on the hardware, but not a single sight of that. As Johnny would say: "Downright glorious!":D
However, one question though: Am I right that adaptive vsync will be disabled whenever i drop below 60fps? When I initially used it I was experiencing quite some screen tearing, which would seem logical as I am more likely closer to 50 fps than 60 most of the time. At least that's what I'm guessing as I'm using no frame counter...don't wanna have those numbers get me obsessed if you know what I mean ;)
I just switched to normal vsync in the Nvidia driver and use a 60fps lock in RivaTuner, as I don't like the 30fps lock of half-refresh rate vsync, and couldn't be happier!
So thanks again for this whole thread and even more so for continuously updating it and improving our wonderful time with The Witcher Wild Hunt!

Hey guys, already pumped 160+ hours into this (with tweaks), but figured I'd ask about a grass pop-in issue I've had. Basically in some locations, particularly Kaer Morhen, detailed grass will flicker in and out of existence based on camera angle. It happens a few other locations too, but Kaer Morhen is the easiest example. Here's a gif.

I noticed that the cause for this is increasing grass rendering distance. An earlier patch shortly after release claimed to fix this issue for grass rendering density, "Fixes grass and foliage popping that could occur after density parameters were changed", but that hasn't been the issue for me. I've also struggled to find anybody else with the same issue. It doesn't occur everywhere (fine most places), but yeah.

Turning grass rendering distance back down to default Ultra settings fixes the issue, but I like playing with tweaks and was wondering if there was any known cause for this problem. I've upgraded from a GTX 970 to a GTX 980 Ti and that seemed to reduce frequency of grass pop-in in some areas, but retained it in others (eg: Kaer Morhen, unsolvable unless I turn it back down to Ultra).

i have the same problem, 1.25 0r 1.2 grass distance seemed to have fixed it.

1.25 is good all around anyway, grass is visible pretty far away and doesn't glitch as much as 1.5 or 1.8 or even 3.

I need a default startup.bundle file from Patch 1.08, located in the "content\content0\bundles" folder, i'd be thankful if someone could upload it for me.
I think this is the best place to ask this.

GoG Galaxy refuses to repair my game because of "Server Problem", and i forgot to make a backup before modding it.

I need a default startup.bundle file from Patch 1.08, located in the "content\content0\bundles" folder, i'd be thankful if someone could upload it for me.
I think this is the best place to ask this.

GoG Galaxy refuses to repair my game because of "Server Problem", and i forgot to make a backup before modding it.

Here you go Link

First of all just want to say thanks to everybody who's contributed to this thread, and to CD for an amazing game, when it comes to graphics I'm not one to find that they change the enjoyment level. However pop in does really ruin the immersion and this game is bad for it, the tweaks here have helped a lot! (objects such as barrels, books and other random things however I can't seem to fix the pop in, even trying all of these tweaks.)

Perusing the files I noticed a rendering.ini in platform/pc/config - I can't remember if this was here before 1.08 but it has some values that aren't present in config/base or user.settings. Some of the lines are the same (ie: cascadeshadowquality) but are different from the value I've set them to in my user.settings (in this it's 0 whilst I have it at 1). I tried fiddling with "VisibleObjectsBudget=1500" but I didn't notice any changes. I can't find anything about this file on the internet or any of the unique lines in it.

Just wondering if anyone has tried fiddling with this to see if the values actually have any affect in game? Or if even some of the lines could be copied over to user.settings and maybe then they have an effect?

Intel i5 2500 (non-K version). It's overclocked by constant CPU Ratio to 3.8 GHz, not TurboBoost (due to recording and processing audio "on the fly", which can be problematic if TurboBoost is on).

I see, thank you for the update! I'll try disabling Threaded Optimization and see if that makes any difference on my end as well. ;)

Hey @Verrenus, I just wanted to thank you so much for the new set of tweaks you recently posted under point 12 of the first page! For me, they really make a huge difference, as I have never seen my game running this fluently and also very consistently so. I have been using some of your recommended settings (maximum pre-rendered frames, Physx to CPU etc.) before, but abandoning in-game vsync and using triple buffering in the Nvidia system settings together with your other suggestions did improve so much for me! The most amazing thing is, that I just have just arrived at Novigrad after close to 100hrs of gameplay (yeah, I am really easily getting distracted by exploration, thus taking it slow ;)) and even there my performance is wonderful. I had expected at least some hiccups, as I've read Novigrad can be quite heavy on the hardware, but not a single sight of that. As Johnny would say: "Downright glorious!":D
However, one question though: Am I right that adaptive vsync will be disabled whenever i drop below 60fps? When I initially used it I was experiencing quite some screen tearing, which would seem logical as I am more likely closer to 50 fps than 60 most of the time. At least that's what I'm guessing as I'm using no frame counter...don't wanna have those numbers get me obsessed if you know what I mean ;)
I just switched to normal vsync in the Nvidia driver and use a 60fps lock in RivaTuner, as I don't like the 30fps lock of half-refresh rate vsync, and couldn't be happier!
So thanks again for this whole thread and even more so for continuously updating it and improving our wonderful time with The Witcher Wild Hunt!

And thank YOU so much for your kind words and continued support of this thread! Without you guys contributing invaluable tweaks, suggestions and feedback, I could never have done it on my own. Here's to you! :cheers2:

As for NVIDIA's Adaptive VSync, by definition it will automatically switch off whenever your framerate drops below your monitor's set refresh rate (e.g. 60 FPS for 60 Hz monitors). And, of course, whenever it switches off, your frames will no longer be synced to your monitor, naturally resulting in tearing. That being said, I am really glad to hear that you managed to solve this problem by using regular VSync via the Control Panel. :D

I am not sure if the 60 FPS limit in RTSS is really necessary for you now, since VSync automatically limits your framerate as well as paces it, but if you are getting good results and you are happy, then who am I to argue against it? Do enjoy your tweaked game and have hours upon hours of downright glorious gaming - the real way it should be played! ;)

First of all just want to say thanks to everybody who's contributed to this thread, and to CD for an amazing game, when it comes to graphics I'm not one to find that they change the enjoyment level. However pop in does really ruin the immersion and this game is bad for it, the tweaks here have helped a lot! (objects such as barrels, books and other random things however I can't seem to fix the pop in, even trying all of these tweaks.)

Perusing the files I noticed a rendering.ini in platform/pc/config - I can't remember if this was here before 1.08 but it has some values that aren't present in config/base or user.settings. Some of the lines are the same (ie: cascadeshadowquality) but are different from the value I've set them to in my user.settings (in this it's 0 whilst I have it at 1). I tried fiddling with "VisibleObjectsBudget=1500" but I didn't notice any changes. I can't find anything about this file on the internet or any of the unique lines in it.

Just wondering if anyone has tried fiddling with this to see if the values actually have any affect in game? Or if even some of the lines could be copied over to user.settings and maybe then they have an effect?

Thank you very much for your kind words, Andrew, I really appreciate your support! :D

As for the extremely annoying pop-in, we've tried about every tweak we could find in an attempt to alleviate these issues and found that CDPR hard-locked the pop-in distances on the engine side. This means that we cannot adjust these parameters without cracking open certain files, tweaking the respective values by trial and error and then repackaging said files. For the moment we haven't been able to do any of that, but as soon as someone does, I will post a link to the modded files in the OP, as usual! ;)

On that note...

I have noticed an interesting pattern. NPC guards, both nilfgaardian and Skeligans will pop in when you visit a place on the map that is not very important(doesn't hold any main quests or big secondary quests). While in novigrad towns folk in some areas will pop in, but still very rarely and the guards pop in... almost never. There are some specific places where the guard NPCs will pop in at 2m(6-8ft) while at some other places they will pop in at around 10m or so. And it is always so. The pop in distance will never change. At the same in game settings, and no mater what other settings I change in the games files. I can triple, even x10 times settings that might have something to do with NPCs but nothing changes.

That leads me to believe that there is some hidden file that has a list of NPC and has their streaming distance set in stone, sort to speak.

For the moment we haven't been able to do any of that, but as soon as someone does, I will post a link to the modded files in the OP, as usual!

There's already more than a dozen active users on this thread who are researching day and night. I have faith in you and faith can move mountains !

:smiling2:

please accept my deepest gratitude for your efforts.

That leads me to believe that there is some hidden file that has a list of NPC and has their streaming distance set in stone, sort to speak.

Interesting . . . maybe instead of that list, any NPC is tagged for his/her priority. I can recall seeing some code lines regarding rendering priority when I was digging up the installation folder.
by the way, I think post #1293 by @berserker66666 is a promising lead because fooling the engine in order to operate in conversation mode should be quite easier than cracking and modifying game files.

Last edited:

That rendering.ini file was there before patch 1.08 and I did tweak the values increasing it on all accounts but to no avail. It's been hard locked from the engine side so unless CDPR graces us with REDKIT and/or unlocks the engine to let us tweak, we're all be sitting on our thumbs.

---------- Updated at 11:58 AM ----------

I think post #1293 by @berserker66666 is a promising lead because fooling the engine in order to operate in conversation mode should be quite easier than cracking and modifying game files.

If that could be done, some amount of pop-in, (both texture and foliage...and maybe NPC) could be reduced cause like I mentioned on that post, when in conversation mode the foliage draw distance in improved drastically. Trees that used to pop up and appear in place while moving in gameplay mode would just stay in place from far away in conversation mode while looking around in freecam. I'm sure CDPR has some kind of code in place to make that happen. So like you said, if we can somehow force the rendering of the conversation mode into the gameplay mode, it would benefit and most probably reduce pop-ins.

But right now, I'm just focusing on finishing the game (already 165 hours in) so I can dedicate my time fully on tweaking the game and seeing what else is possible.

Thank you very much for everyone contributing to this thread.

Bookmarked it and going to try some tweaks later today.

Is the OP constantly updated? I just found out this thread today and it is 130+ pages long. I don't want to miss anything.

But right now, I'm just focusing on finishing the game (already 165 hours in) so I can dedicate my time fully on tweaking the game and seeing what else is possible.

Happy hunting mate.

Is the OP constantly updated? I just found out this thread today and it is 130+ pages long. I don't want to miss anything.

Relax, you won't miss anything. @Verrenus updates the OP regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom