A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhm, I'm almost sure that setting an higher value for CascadeShadowFadeThreshold improved my fps a little bit. So, if you're one of those that are hypersuper lowering the config files, you can touch that too and see if something is a little better. I repeat: I'm not sure. I'm (only) two fps higher, but might be only on me.

Uhm, I'm almost sure that setting an higher value for CascadeShadowFadeThreshold improved my fps a little bit. So, if you're one of those that are hypersuper lowering the config files, you can touch that too and see if something is a little better. I repeat: I'm not sure. I'm (only) two fps higher, but might be only on me.

I tried 2.0, 1.5, 1.0, 0.5 and 0.1

Didn't notice any difference.. image quality or fps wise

The game consumes no more than 3-4 gigs of ram no matter if I put it on 'Real Time' priority or not.

Other than the ini configs you should also try turning off hyper threading/ virtualizations off in your bios and unpark your cores, you can search for guides on how to do that online.

here you go, disable hyper threading
http://www.ehow.com/how_8291008_disa...threading.html

Unpark your cores,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muj_BDJaWf8

I'm not trying to throw software at you guys, but give it a shot, it works.

Made a few small observations earlier, that I thought some may be interested in.

Firstly a few small tweaks for animations, that I'd like if people could help test.

Code:
[Behavior]
AnimatedComponentUpdateFrameSkip=false
SuppressAnimatedComponent=false
[Physics]
MimicsQuality=10

They seem to produce smoother animations (the top two for gameplay animations, and the botton one, for facial cutscene animations). Would be nice, if anyone wants to help test. To confirm, or deny.

------------------

Secondly, regarding the cutscene environment lighting. We already know, that the current way of doing this (packing, etc), is flawed. We also knew that with the current messy repacking method, we were forcing the files to repack, regardless of them being larger than the originals. I hadn't really thought about how crudely this is actually done, until I'd done a test earlier.

I used the original startup.bundle for all tests. I packed the (larger) modified csv files, with the cutscene env's added to them. I then took that same (now modified) startup.bundle and unpacked it again.

I then had a look at the files I had modified (the weather csv's). They were being chopped off, at the exact point they were exceeding the original file size of each one. If you do this yourself, you'll get what I'm saying. Anyone using them currently is basically running around the game, with those weather files all missing their file endings, and values. It could possibly be attributing to the stuck weather / tod, in certain spots in-game.

#edit: Further testing seem to show, that it was indeed the cause of certain weather types, and TOD getting stuck, and then force-swapping to another default(instant TOD / weather change after stuck delay). Since I fixed the file sizes. My usual spots for testing these issues, have shown no problems.

I also tried with all of the repacked files being smaller. I repeated the same as above to test. I noticed they were filled in with null characters, until the file size matched. Which could also cause problems. It may not, but it depends.

So, I figuired with this awkward process. any repacked files, literally have to be the exact size in bytes as before. Or shit just doesn't go well. Same as if you hex edited the files, etc.

I've attached a set of the modified weather csv file below. I ensured they're all the exact size of their original counterparts.

To do this I'd to do a few things. In two files, I had to remove a weather preset. I tried to remove one that wouldn't really be noticable(when there was multiple cloudy weathers, etc). Secondly, I had to remove any csv effect headers that were unused in that particular file. For example, if the max num effect for a weather type was 3. Then I'd removed all the effect headers after that, along with the corresponding semicolons. Because they're unused anyway.

Files below, if anyone wants;
http://1drv.ms/1TicGOk

------------
ps: CDPR pls fix the wonky lighting. It's cheaply done, clearly cutting corners, by using pixel colour as a reference for luminance. Along with skin, geometry interaction, etc. It's clearly not PBR shading..

There's PBR shading done in very small locations in-game (Kaer Morhen, for instance). Most others have some watered down cheapo version.

I can get over the consolized textures/draw distance, lod, detail, etc. But the flat, lifeless lighting is too far. It's literally a negligible performance difference on a modern PC. But, consoles compute obviously didn't like it..

Last edited:
Not a big deal but still want to mention...

After explosion Exploding barrel shards are glowing in witcher senses

Last edited:
They seem to produce smoother animations (the top two for gameplay animations, and the botton one, for facial cutscene animations). Would be nice, if anyone wants to help test. To confirm, or deny.
What file you're changing those Animation values in? Didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

What file you're changing those Animation values in? Didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Sorry, I assumed anyone reading it, would have been a regular of the thread, following all my previous tweaks that are spread around the place in this thread lol. They're added to your user.settings file in your Documents\The Witcher 3 folder.

The section headers won't be there by default. So it can be straight copy/pasted in as it is.

I'm pretty sure they would have to introduce additional textures (spec / gloss or metalness) and modify existing ones in addition to changing materials and rendering / lighting to go fully PBR. If it happens in the enhanced edition I'd be happy but it's a lot of work...or not if they already had it but chopped it down months before the release. ;);)

I don't know why you bother with the cutscene lighting. Why not just modify the existing envs with increased bloom and AO and darker shadows? You'll get the almost the same thing.

The game consumes no more than 3-4 gigs of ram no matter if I put it on 'Real Time' priority or not.

Other than the ini configs you should also try turning off hyper threading/ virtualizations off in your bios and unpark your cores, you can search for guides on how to do that online.

here you go, disable hyper threading
http://www.ehow.com/how_8291008_disa...threading.html

Unpark your cores,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muj_BDJaWf8

I'm not trying to throw software at you guys, but give it a shot, it works.

Shouldn't disabling hyperthreading be a bad thing, since the engine scales on threads? And I unparked my CPU, but can't see any difference I think.

Made a few small observations earlier, that I thought some may be interested in.

Firstly a few small tweaks for animations, that I'd like if people could help test.

Code:
[Behavior]
[Physics]
MimicsQuality=10

Where on gods earth do you even find these? Please provide where you can find settings next time if youre gonna ask people to test them.

Where on gods earth do you even find these? Please provide where you can find settings next time if youre gonna ask people to test them.

If you don't want to test them then don't do it, nobody is forcing you. He doesn't need to explain you anything as you aren't entitled to any explanation on his part. At last ask kindly if you want to understand from where he gets those vars.

The nerve of certain people is astounding...

If you don't want to test them then don't do it, nobody is forcing you. He doesn't need to explain you anything as you aren't entitled to any explanation on his part. At last ask kindly if you want to understand from where he gets those vars.

The nerve of certain people is astounding...

I did ask nicely. I was merely confused why he wouldnt provide information on where to find them. And i do want to test as i'd like to help, obviously. Sorry if you failed to understand the fact that i really wanted to test them out and help.

Added some fairly minor options(with broken text) but is anyone willing to help test if they work? They work for me and another person who downloaded said they work.
Code:
Current log:
Changed FPS Limiter logic to move from 30 to 60 to Unlimited instead of UL/30/60.
Added HairWorks AntiAliasing slider going 0(Off), 2, 4, 8.
Added slider for TextureMipBias/Negative LOD Bias control ranging from 0 to -1.0. Decoupled from Texture Quality setting, works independently.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/185/

[Behavior]
[Physics]
MimicsQuality=10

I think Sid's got the right line of thought with this one, IMO it's purely placebo. It's a hard one to properly judge though, since it's going mostly off "feel". Guess you could do a side-by-side lip-sync comparison, but just talking with a few Quest NPC's it doesn't seem any different to Vanilla, and I'm not really noticing any smoother animations anywhere, combat or otherwise.

That said, massive props to you Asmodean for all the effort you're putting into the mods/tweaks so far. Even if this stuff ends up not working at least it's worth a shot to perhaps find some interesting improvements.
Although I really hope CDPR have still got that patch cooking that they said would allow for more extensive INI tweaking & optimization.

Added some fairly minor options(with broken text) but is anyone willing to help test if they work? They work for me and another person who downloaded said they work.

Only did a brief test, but yep, it's working. Everything seems to be showing up in the settings menu as intended, and adjusting the sliders immediately affects what it is meant to.

Last edited:
Only did a brief test, but yep, it's working. Everything seems to be showing up in the settings menu as intended, and adjusting the sliders immediately affects what it is meant to.

I'm looking to see what other options can be added to Options or be modified in general, seems no go with Cutscene only DoF as of yet, not sure what else to try...

I'm looking to see what other options can be added to Options or be modified in general, seems no go with Cutscene only DoF as of yet, not sure what else to try...

Really nice mod, you think it would be possible to have a setting for the tessellation on hairworks?

I assume not, but, it would be the best thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom