A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this doesn't count for anything even vaguely as valuable as the solutions and tweaks you legends post on the daily, but it has some value to it.

For those Green Team early adopters like myself who find themselves on Windows 10 IPB (Rev. 10130) running a crappy driver (352.84), Nvidia just released their latest Windows 10 Driver (353.30) and it is phenomenal!

Write Up:
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/06/22/batman-arkham-knight/

Download:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/86510

I literally went from playing Witcher 3 on 1080p with some features toned down to High, whereas now I can QHD it on Ultra with no dips lower than 50 in Novigrad (which is a resource intensive area). This all while running the exact same application version of Witcher 3, namely 1.06 and without a single tweak.

I still play on QHD because 4K makes things super tiny, though this proves how good the latest driver is. It might be the fact that it's the Batman Driver. It might not be the driver that we need right now, but it definitely is the driver that we deserve.

As always some experience improvements, and some worsements... so far i heared more worsements, but also for me this are really good

---------- Updated at 06:50 AM ----------

@StuntZA what is your configuration?

As always some experience improvements, and some worsements... so far i heared more worsements, but also for me this are really good

---------- Updated at 06:50 AM ----------

@StuntZA what is your configuration?

Yup, as is the case with most driver releases. However, most of the complaints concerning this driver release actually has to do with Batman: Arkham Knight. Most associated with SLi - which has been resolved by updating the SLi Profile via GFE.

I'm still downloading Batman on Steam and have barely reached level 16 in W3, so these issues won't affect me anytime soon and all I care for is the performance boost we got in Witcher 3 :D

@kilyan82 , I've added my hardware specifications to my signature.

Yup, as is the case with most driver releases. However, most of the complaints concerning this driver release actually has to do with Batman: Arkham Knight. Most associated with SLi - which has been resolved by updating the SLi Profile via GFE.

I'm still downloading Batman on Steam and have barely reached level 16 in W3, so these issues won't affect me anytime soon and all I care for is the performance boost we got in Witcher 3
Batman has severe issues itself, that's why i don't buy it. Also about witcher 3 people moans about hiccups and various stuttering not there in the previous drivers. Well i can't say anithing bad, i earned 6 fps in novigrad, now at least i play decent 35 fps with no stuttering :D

Batman has severe issues itself, that's why i don't buy it. Also about witcher 3 people moans about hiccups and various stuttering not there in the previous drivers. Well i can't say anithing bad, i earned 6 fps in novigrad, now at least i play decent 35 fps with no stuttering :D

I unfortunately cannot comment on the Driver's performance on any OS aside from Windows 10 Pro IPB Rev. 10130 as I've only one PC running only that OS. My initial point's focus was on the hefty performance increase it has yielded us in comparison to the previous Windows 10 Driver 352.84.

Mostly everyone on Win 8.1 and below had a pretty solid driver in 352.86 and had the luxury of falling back to even earlier drivers if that were not the case for them, whereas the people on Win 10 did not with 352.84.

As you can see on screenshot, green marks show correcr LOD texture, red shows low-res textures. Wired thing is... Why texture resolution is not depend on LOD distance. Why some closer textures are low-res and some long distance are high-res? Full-res screenshot is here: http://i.minus.com/ijFHckgty85kP.jpg

My user.settings:

[Gameplay/EntityPool]
SpawnedLimit=150
[Hidden]
HasSeenDLCMessage=true
HasSetup=true
uiVerticalFrameScale=1
uiHorizontalFrameScale=1
[Localization]
RequestedSpeechLanguage=PL
SpeechLanguage=PL
RequestedTextLanguage=CZ
TextLanguage=CZ
[Viewport]
VSync=false
Resolution="1920x1080"
FullScreenMode=1
VSyncThreshold=0
OutputMonitor=-1
[Hud]
MinimapRotation=false
MinimapFocusClues=true
HudSize=0
ControlsFeedbackModule=false
[Budget]
cvMaxAllowedLightsShadowTime=1
cvMaxAllowedApexDestroTickedTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedGrass=30000
cvMaxAllowedDecalsDynamic=10
cvMaxAllowedDynMeshes=104857600
cvMaxAllowedChunksSkinnedTime=2.5
cvMaxAllowedTrianglesSkinned=100000
cvMaxAllowedDecalsSSTime=0.1
cvMaxAllowedLightsShadow=3
TerrainTileMipDataBudget=100
cvMaxAllowedApexTicked=60
cvMaxAllowedActiveEnvProbesTime=0.1
cvMaxAllowedStatTextures=314572800
cvMaxAllowedSpeedTree=5000
cvMaxAllowedLightsNonShadowsTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedSpeedTreeTime=2.2
cvMaxAllowedChunksStatic=1500
cvMaxAllowedTrianglesStatic=500000
cvMaxAllowedHiresChunks=25
cvMaxAllowedDecalsDynamicTime=0.5
cvMaxAllowedLightsNonShadows=40
cvMaxAllowedChunksStaticTime=1.5
cvMaxAllowedChunksSkinned=400
cvMaxAllowedApexDestroTicked=20
cvMaxAllowedStatMeshes=209715200
TerrainTileMinTimeout=2
cvMaxAllowedHiresChunksTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedApexTickedTime=0.5
cvMaxAllowedCharTextures=209715200
cvMaxAllowedParticlesCountTime=0.2
cvMaxAllowedParticlesCount=1000
cvMaxAllowedGrassTime=1.5
TerrainTileTimeout=10
OcclusionQueryAdditionalMemory=5
TerrainTileLoadingTimeout=5
cvMaxAllowedDecalsSS=160
[Audio]
Subtitles=true
[LoadingScreen/TCR]
ShowProgress=true
[Game]
DoNotPauseWhileStopped=false
[PostProcess]
SharpenAmount=0
MotionBlurPositionTreshold=0.05
AllowBloom=false
MotionBlurRotationTreshold=1
AllowSharpen=false
SSAOSolution=2
AllowBlur=true
[Input]
PadVibrationEnabled=false
KeyboardCooldownSpeed=0.1
InvertCameraXOnMouse=false
InvertCameraYOnMouse=false
CameraAutoRotX=true
InvertCameraX=false
UIMouseSensitivity=1
CameraAutoRotY=true
RightStickCameraSensitivity=1
InvertCameraY=false
RightStickAimSensitivity=1
MouseSensitivity=1
[DLC]
DlcEnabled_dlc_010_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_005_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_007_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_013_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_004_001=0
DlcEnabled_dlc_006_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_001_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_008_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_002_001=1
DlcEnabled_dlc_003_001=1
[Gameplay]
Difficulty=3
[LevelOfDetail]
SwarmHideDistance=200
DecalsHideDistance=80
DimmerHideDistance=80
DynamicDecalsHideDistance=20
StripeHideDistance=60
[General]
ConfigVersion=1
[LoadingScreen/Editor]
Disabled=false
[LoadingOverlay/TCR]
FadeOutCooldownExtraTime=1
FadeInSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveSpinnerTime=3
FadeOutSpinnerTime=1
NoninteractiveEndCooldown=1
[Visuals]
InventoryBgColorScaleB=0.036
InventoryFixedLuminance=0.25
InventoryBgColorScaleG=0.034
GammaValue=1.16
InventoryBgColorScaleR=0.02
[Rendering]
GrassDensity=3600
DecalsSpawnDistanceCutoff=10
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=10
GlobalOceanTesselationFactor=32
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=50
CascadeShadowFadeTreshold=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=2
MaxTextureAnizotropy=16
TextureStreamingDistanceLimit=40000
MaxCascadeCount=3
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=1
MeshLODDistanceScale=2.5
MaxSpotShadowSize=256
ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay=2.5
DecalsChance=1
TerrainReadAheadDistance=300
HairWorksLevel=0
MaxTextureAnisotropy=16
TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThreshold=1.6
MaxTerrainShadowAtlasCount=2
MaxCubeShadowSize=256
TextureMipBias=-1
HardwareCursor=true
TextureInFlightCountBudget=12
TerrainErrorMetricMultiplier=6
CascadeShadowmapSize=2048
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=4
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=4
[Input/Gestures]
EnableSwipe=true
EnablePan=true
EnableGestures=true
EnablePinch=true
[LoadingScreen]
FadeInTime=3
SkipShowWithAnyKey=false
GameRevealTime=3
SkipHideDelay=3
SkipInputDelay=1
FadeOutTime=1.5
SkipAutoshow=false
[Engine]
LimitFPS=0
[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassGenerationEfficiency=0.05
GrassDistanceScale=1.2
FoliageDistanceScale=1.5
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=12
GrassRingSize=4194304
[Save]
ShowCompatWarning=false
[Streaming/Textures]
UseMipRefiner=true
[Kinect]
Kinect=true
[Foliage]
MaxVisibilityDepth=16​

Thanks for any advices.

Attachments

• witcher3_2015_06_23_12_47_39_613.jpg
    witcher3_2015_06_23_12_47_39_613.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I don't know if I can accurately confirm this because I can't reach 60 fps, but at times when I'm the 35-45 fps range, I notice the ocean appears to be running at locked 30 fps, can anyone confirm this, or is it just my eyes?

Also, does changing the ocean's tesselation settings in the .ini file does make it more detailed?

As you can see on screenshot, green marks show correcr LOD texture, red shows low-res textures. Wired thing is... Why texture resolution is not depend on LOD distance. Why some closer textures are low-res and some long distance are high-res? Full-res screenshot is here: http://i.minus.com/ijFHckgty85kP.jpg

Faces are also a massive problem, for some reason tons of faces will just decide to remain as clay until you practically walk completely past them. Honestly, this isn't as big of a deal for general gameplay as the weird building LOD, but it becomes a massive issue in cutscenes, where tons of background characters (Who are mere feet away) will just have these practically terrifying clay faces.

SS example:

I've tried multiple tweaks, everything from Head/Character streaming distances to all the different possible LOD/Distance settings, and sadly literally nothing can be done about this all this. So a lot of us are just hoping that it's something that'll get a fix with the next big, major patch, because it's extremely ugly, and really strange.

Faces are also a massive problem, for some reason tons of faces will just decide to remain as clay until you practically walk completely past them. Honestly, this isn't as big of a deal for general gameplay as the weird building LOD, but it becomes a massive issue in cutscenes, where tons of background characters (Who are mere feet away) will just have these practically terrifying clay faces.

SS example:

I've tried multiple tweaks, everything from Head/Character streaming distances to all the different possible LOD/Distance settings, and sadly literally nothing can be done about this all this. So a lot of us are just hoping that it's something that'll get a fix with the next big, major patch, because it's extremely ugly, and really strange.

If its the thing where they appear with low detail and then an awkward transformation happens when you are super close, I more or less solved it by setting the texture memory budget to 1600, from 800 which is default.

If its the thing where they appear with low detail and then an awkward transformation happens when you are super close, I more or less solved it by setting the texture memory budget to 1600, from 800 which is default.

Are you sure it fixed it? Because the face issue tends to be random, sometimes you'll be lucky and the NPC's around you are fine, other times it'll be on every second NPC in sight. That's excellent if it did indeed fix it, and perhaps goes to show the usual magical variation between different PC's, but I'm just wondering if it's possible you didn't notice it on any nearby NPC's after switching, and its just eluded your sight since.
Well at least for me, no matter what I do to any of the INI settings, be it texture memory budget, streaming texture/character/head distance etc, doesn't seem to fix either the face or building LOD issues.

Are you sure it fixed it? Because the face issue tends to be random, sometimes you'll be lucky and the NPC's around you are fine, other times it'll be on every second NPC in sight. That's excellent if it did indeed fix it, and perhaps goes to show the usual magical variation between different PC's, but I'm just wondering if it's possible you didn't notice it on any nearby NPC's after switching, and its just eluded your sight since.
Well at least for me, no matter what I do to any of the INI settings, be it texture memory budget, streaming texture/character/head distance etc, doesn't seem to fix either the face or building LOD issues.

My TextureMemoryBudget is set to 2400 and the problem is still there, didn't change a bit. I've also done a lot of tweaking on .ini settings and nothing improved it.
For me, this is actually the most annoying thing in the game. I really really hate to see the characters losing detail (sometimes a LOT of it) during cutscenes/dialogues just because the camera is positioned a bit further.

Thank you very much for this guide, but it is very complex to change all values at hand. you can get a download of the file: user; user.settings; rendering; resources; io_priority_table?

I have a GTX780 / 3GBVRAM / 8GBDDR3 and I'm literally going crazy in trying to bring the values of the game as they were in the patch 1.02 which was perfect for me :(

Thank you very much for this guide, but it is very complex to change all values at hand. you can get a download of the file: user; user.settings; rendering; resources; io_priority_table?

I have a GTX780 / 3GBVRAM / 8GBDDR3 and I'm literally going crazy in trying to bring the values of the game as they were in the patch 1.02 which was perfect for me :(

yeah, if someone could make this file available, it would be awesome

I know this doesn't count for anything even vaguely as valuable as the solutions and tweaks you legends post on the daily, but it has some value to it.

For those Green Team early adopters like myself who find themselves on Windows 10 IPB (Rev. 10130) running a crappy driver (352.84), Nvidia just released their latest Windows 10 Driver (353.30) and it is phenomenal!

Write Up:
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/06/22/batman-arkham-knight/

Download:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/86510

I literally went from playing Witcher 3 on 1080p with some features toned down to High, whereas now I can QHD it on Ultra with no dips lower than 50 in Novigrad (which is a resource intensive area). This all while running the exact same application version of Witcher 3, namely 1.06 and without a single tweak.

I still play on QHD because 4K makes things super tiny, though this proves how good the latest driver is. It might be the fact that it's the Batman Driver. It might not be the driver that we need right now, but it definitely is the driver that we deserve.

Also, that driver supports Nvidia Fermi on Windows 10 finally.

After Graphics thread was closed this place kinda died down. I guess most people just resigned themselves to just playing the game since nothing can be basically done at this point.

I'm taking my time with it by basically not playing TW3 more than 1-2 hours a day since there are 4 remaining DLCs and there might be some quests in them so I have to wait if their imperial majesty (CDPR) would deign to upload them. I wish they would just release these 4 DLCs now and be done with it.

After Graphics thread was closed this place kinda died down. I guess most people just resigned themselves to just playing the game since nothing can be basically done at this point.

I'm taking my time with it by basically not playing TW3 more than 1-2 hours a day since there are 4 remaining DLCs and there might be some quests in them so I have to wait if their imperial majesty (CDPR) would deign to upload them. I wish they would just release these 4 DLCs now and be done with it.

i feel the same, ive given up trying anything new without Redkit, and i have very low expectation from them to release it or to unlock other graphic settings, they announced that they are already working on Cyber punk anyway

i feel the same, ive given up trying anything new without Redkit, and i have very low expectation from them to release it or to unlock other graphic settings, they announced that they are already working on Cyber punk anyway

That sucks big time. Iwinski did say that the core group of devs is still working on TW3 Expansions but more and more people are taking up Cyberpunk. So they've not completely abandoned TW3 but at the same time more people switching to another project is a sign of things to come or in this case not to come.

Without REDKit all effforts are practically in vain.

I wish we could've gotten this.

@Vigilance.492
@Kidoki

Oh well everything is possible, I basically had the thing going on very badly in novigrad especially, and then changed that value specifically because thats when the problem started bothering me, and came back to the same save and haven't seen it since. I do also have those decals distances and heads count doubled up, the other lines I dont remember exactly, maybe it was all summed up, or just a random thing from my machine, sorry it didnt helped you.

Hello there, my dear friends! :welcome:

I would like to apologise for not having been active during the last few weeks, but due to an exponential increase in both work load and personal responsibilities, I can hardly find the time to take even a few minutes of peace and quiet for myself. Since I'm now working 16-18 hours daily during week days, I almost completely lost track of the passage of time and I am really struggling to convince myself to go to bed only to wake up a few hours later to get back to work - case in point, it's 3:22 A.M. here and I should really be getting up at 8:00, but I simply refuse to be caught up in a perpetual work-sleep-work-sleep cycle. That's why I try to fit in at least a few minutes of gaming each day, just to keep me going. This is also the reason why I'm not tweaking anything else at the moment, but rather simply focusing on playing the damn thing! :p

I hope that you will forgive me for only lurking on this thread and silently updating the OP with the latest links for GPU drivers and SweetFX/ReShade updates. With a bit of luck, all of this should be over in a couple of weeks, but I already forgot what it feels like to get home after normal 8-hour shift and not have to continue working from here as well. Until then, I would like to wish you all many hours of happy gaming, without any bugs, crashes and other nuisances, and to thank you all for your generous support of this thread and all that it stands for. I couldn't be happier knowing you guys are out there! :cheers2:

:hatsoff:

Last edited:
i literally died when i saw it. that's the power of the pc master race: you can play at any settings you want, ultra or uber-low.

---------- Updated at 09:14 AM ----------

yeah i feel the same, even modding and tweaking is starting to slow down considerably whenever i check on the nexusmods. case and point: the REDkit 2 needs to come out, or we will be still stuck this way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom