A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new here and I just bought the game, downloading now.
I have a little question: this thread says v-sync should be turned off for better performance (and God knows I need it, since I got a laptop with 670MX), but does that mean I'd have to force v-sync through Nvdia control panel? Because it would be extremely annoying to play it with screen tearing.

I'd never play this without the in-game VSync enabled. It's not just screen tearing without it, there's also some kind of screen shimmering effect (that gives me a headache).

I think this thread has gone to hell. I also think the main post hasn't been updated with variations for crash-prevention. There are more than a few people still experiencing crashes related to the game and also the drivers.

I think this thread has gone to hell. I also think the main post hasn't been updated with variations for crash-prevention. There are more than a few people still experiencing crashes related to the game and also the drivers.

I'm still on 1.04 patch, 2600k, win7 s1 ,980 gtx, driver 353.03,
no crashes, no bug wih npc holding crates...maybe that is related to patch 1.05.
Forced AA in drivers, but hairworks not enabled anymore- 8-15 fps down is just to much, cpu usage max 90 -with hairwoks on is 100
347 drivers was good and low gpu temperatures till 1.04 even with hairworks on,
But 353.03 is good for 1.04 patch- at least for me.

Agree. Hopefully, Verrenus can back and update the OP.

Agree. Hopefully, Verrenus can back and update the OP.

Hey there, friends! Like I said previously, I always try to read through all of your posts whenever I get the chance and right now I can definitely spare a few minutes from my lunch break to update the OP with any tweaks/fixes that you can recommend! :p

I'm not sure you've noticed, but I've silently updated the OP with the latest NVIDIA 353.38 Hotfix drivers, which claim to fix the driver-related crashes on all Windows versions, including 10. I myself only had the game crash twice due to the inventory bug in 90+ hours of gameplay, so I'm not that familiar with the game crashing and could definitely use your help here! ???

Last edited:
I'd never play this without the in-game VSync enabled. It's not just screen tearing without it, there's also some kind of screen shimmering effect (that gives me a headache).

So I guess it's better for me to leave it enabled? Isn't there any other option to apply v-sync without such undue impact in performance?

So I guess it's better for me to leave it enabled? Isn't there any other option to apply v-sync without such undue impact in performance?

I've got the perfect advice for you, straight from Durante himself (a.k.a. the guy who single-handedly fixed Dark Souls on PC):

"Disable both the in-game frame limiter and in-game Vsync, use borderless fullscreen mode for correct triple buffering and set the desired framerate limit in RTSS."

RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS) is one of the best tools for setting up framerate limits without introducing undue frame pacing issues (i.e. stuttering) in the process, like the in-game framerate limiter does. You can download RTSS from here and this is how to configure it for The Witcher 3. Just remember to start RTSS each time before you boot up the actual game, otherwise the framerate limit won't come into effect! ;)

Please report back with your results once you had a chance to give the above ago, but only should you find the time to do so, of course! :p

Last edited:
The only way to play without v-sync is playing in borderless window, which could have better or worse results in smoothness.
For me playing like that with max prerendered frames 1, works well. The only thing bad, is not having the control of gamma, you have to set it manually from your drivers. And last not for importance limit your fps to something near your max.

---------- Updated at 03:19 PM ----------

I've got the perfect advice for you, straight from Durante himself (a.k.a. the guy who single-handedly fixed Dark Souls on PC):

"Disable both the in-game frame limiter and in-game Vsync, use borderless fullscreen mode for correct triple buffering and set the desired framerate limit in RTSS."

RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS) is one of the best tools for setting up framerate limits without introducing undue frame pacing issues (i.e. stuttering) in the process, like the in-game framerate limiter does. You can download RTSS from here and this is how to configure it for The Witcher 3. Just remember to start RTSS each time before you boot up the actual game, otherwise the framerate limit won't come into effect! ;)

Please report back with your results once you had a chance to give the above ago, but only should you find the time to do so, of course! :p
yes playing like that, but seems some people have problems, so is to test on each machine

Thanks a lot, though I'm not sure how this relates. Forgive me for my ignorance, but I assume limiting the FPS prevents the screen tearing then? I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this.

Thanks a lot, though I'm not sure how this relates. Forgive me for my ignorance, but I assume limiting the FPS prevents the screen tearing then? I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to this.

Keeps gpu cool and the fps transiction is more stable.
On higher fps some reported smoothness issues

Instead of doing all that, just play it in full screen with in game options vsync off, and enable adaptive vsync in nvidia control panel. Far simpler and it works.

Always wanted to test this myself but for some reason when I start RTSS and click the Play button on GOG Galaxy, Witcher 3.exe gets stuck and the game wont start. Every single time. As soon as I exit RTSS, and press Play again the game starts normally.
I have configured RTSS according to the provided screenshot...

I'm not sure you've noticed, but I've silently updated the OP with the latest NVIDIA 353.38 Hotfix drivers, which claim to fix the driver-related crashes on all Windows versions, including 10. I myself only had the game crash twice due to the inventory bug in 90+ hours of gameplay, so I'm not that familiar with the game crashing and could definitely use your help here!

only thing that I notice is a load stutter on art screen startup ( scene with geralt, vesemir and yennifer and mage on table)
somehow that movie or level cause problems and can cause a crash- no other scene or level do that for my rig.
remind you I'm on 1.04, waiting for 1.07 to see improvements- if any.

still think I will finish game on 1.04,
yet to buy expansions and maybe than with all dlc- start my second play.

By the way does anybody know if the playtime counter in the game is actually accurate? It says I've played 16 days, if it means 16 days times 24 hours it would mean that I've played for about 384 hours?!

Last edited:
Always wanted to test this myself but for some reason when I start RTSS and click the Play button on GOG Galaxy, Witcher 3.exe gets stuck and the game wont start. Every single time. As soon as I exit RTSS, and press Play again the game starts normally.
I have configured RTSS according to the provided screenshot...

Weirdly enough, the game did the same thing for me when I set "witcher3.exe" to "Run as administrator" - it simply wouldn't start anymore, not through its own shortcut on the desktop, nor through GOG Galaxy and not even by directly clicking on the game's executable. Only after I unticked "Run as administrator" did the game start up again, like normal. Very weird! :mellow:

I'm not sure why your game refuses to work with RTSS, but you might want to set either Witcher 3 or RTSS to "Run as administrator" and see if that fixes the problem! Please report back with your results if you find the time and good luck! ;)

By the way does anybody know if the playtime counter in the game is actually accurate? It says I've played 16 days, if it means 16 days times 24 hours it would mean that I've played for about 384 hours?!

It is accurate - for tracking in-game time! It does not measure your play-time, but rather how many in-game days passed since your started your adventure! :p

Last edited:
The newer Nvidia Driver only fixes some bug with Google Chrome and with G-Sync.

Anyway, I get a lot of crashes because of the gpu overclocked. The game just doesn't like it (it's weird).

It is accurate - for tracking in-game time! It does not measure your play-time, but rather how many in-game days passed since your started your adventure!

Are you sure? because I had doubts about this last month, and so I started counting real time and checking, and it seems to count real time, otherwise TW3's in game day night cycles would take very very long.

On the other hand yeah, I can relate to the feeling that the game shows an extreme amount of hours and days, but there is also a rathe known bug with that counter. For some people the time counter changes back after loading a particular save, and for others it goes up and etc., also remember it probably keeps counting when you are in a menu or leave the game minimized.

A question to our fellow modders, probably:
Is there a way to have that excelent view distance present in "Yet Another Lighting Mod", while keeping Default Lighting's "lighting", colours, weather changes etc. ? It seems that the view distance is somehow connected to an actuall weather, so maybe there is some way to only change the entry about view distance?
And by view distance i mean this:
http://s8.postimg.org/yz9tjsij8/uploadw3.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/ihor9c5ie/uploadw32.jpg

Last edited:
A question to our fellow modders, probably:
Is there a way to have that excelent view distance present in "Yet Another Lightning Mod", while keeping Default Lightning's "lightning", colours, weather changes etc. ? It seems that the view distance is somehow connected to an actuall weather, so maybe there is some way to only change the entry about view distance?
And by view distance i mean this:
http://s8.postimg.org/yz9tjsij8/uploadw3.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/ihor9c5ie/uploadw32.jpg

its related to .env files, but we cant edit them atm, so no

---------- Updated at 10:36 AM ----------

Again. Both manufactures have their own technology firms but BOTH agreed on not adopting a closed box approach to them and let the other side being able to optimize their drivers to work with them. AMD always did it (to the point with TressFX to even working with Nvidia itself directly to have them optimize their drivers code for it) and it is Nvidia that, suddenly, broke that agreement with no motive whatsoever (because, frankly, there's nothing gamebreaking in gameworks technology).

I wasn't talking performance of the GPUs themselves but of proprietary technologies. This thing has NOTHING to do with how cards perform themselves.

---------- Updated at 11:35 AM ----------

It IS better because it doesn't bog down the other side arbitrarily, while doing the same exact thing. It doesn't matter if the technology is not more advanced, AMD is not actively blocking Nvidia to optimize their drivers for it, nor it asks devs to not collaborate with Nvidia to help them on optimizing their hardware for the technology. Actually, as I said above, AMD actively helped Nvidia directly on optmizing their drivers for the TressFX code.

So yes, it is better, because it is not tied to unfair competition and it doesn't bog down FPS as Hairworks does.

You are missing completely the point here. I care nothing how those technologies look in themselves, I was replying to what you were saying about the approach of Nvidia to this issue. Nvidia has no rights whatsoever to block AMD from optmizing their drivers code for Nvidia own technologies. They have the right to own those technologies and the full propriety of them (so that AMD cannot use those same technologies in their hardware as to take advantage of them) but it certainly cannot block the other side and devs of games to have AMD optimize their drivers so that their hardware can work with those technologies (as it is now, given the approach of Nvidia on the issue, what AMD cards do is to simply have the GPU - or even worse the CPU, depending on the effect - take all the workload to process those effects, with no optimization in the drivers for calls and such; practically the drivers simply don't work with those technologies). And this independently from previous accords on the matter that are even existent in this case (hence making the thing even worse).

It never happened before in the history of GPUs and it is a very bad introduced precedent that, if taken as the norm, would spell the complete end of user freedom on the GPU market as you would be practically forced to play a game only if you own the right GPU branch for which the game was made to work with, If this approach becomes the norm and reaches its full conclusion this is what the game industry will become. So, in the end, AMD will be practically forced to close as they cannot compete with Nvidia as far as exclusives go and this will have nothing to do with hardware performance on one part or the other.

That AMD is behind Nvidia for performance has nothing to do with this issue. Is it possible that you cannot understand this? The fact that AMD is behind in performance is by itself already a punishemnt because users are preferring Nvidia over AMD for this motive. There's no need whatsoever to artificially cripple performance of the other part with unfair approach to technologies optimizations in drivers.

Moreover, I repeat, users and tech journals are in rage on the issue because it sets a very bad precedent that, if brought to its extremes (as it will do if left unchallenged) would mean the end of the freedom of choice from users in regard to which hardware to buy.

i dont care about tressFX ( or gameworks to begin with ) or how friendly AMD is to Nvidia, the truth is that they make subpar products with barely optimized drivers wich both things have nothing to do with gameworks and then play the victime , create a narrative that Nvidia is crippling their cards, and everyone is swallowing this shit like truth

meanwhile Nvidia is swimming in our money

if you want gameworks features get an Nvidia card and stop complaining that your AMD card cant run them, or even easier , turn them off

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom