A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here know how to stop Witcher 3 from recognizing the DS4 natively? I ask this because even with "Hide DS4", there are some problems with getting the macros to work. So if someone knows what file I can delete or something to stop the game for supporting DS4 natively, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you mate, didn't notice it below the video that I posted. I will try it right away.

Happy to help :D

in addition, you can control shadow heaviness changind shadowmap value. If you have a 980ti or titan x, 3072 is your value. if you have a 970 or 980 and want 60fps, 2048 is your value. Any gpu under that can't reach 60 fps but you can consider changing to 1024 to get some extra fps.

There are some new options on the usersettings.ini i think. Some give you more control over the Hairworks thing they implemented.

they implemented hairworks antialiasing option in the menu just like in the mod, but with proper name and "hair_works_preset" wich control the following in the usersettings.ini
for low preset
HairWorksGlobalStrandSmoothness=2
HairWorkstGlobalDensityLimit=0.35
HairWorksGlobalDensityQuality=0.75
HairWorksGlobalDetailLODFactor=0.65
HairWorksGlobalWidthLimit=2.25

for high preset
HairWorksGlobalStrandSmoothness=3
HairWorkstGlobalDensityLimit=2
HairWorksGlobalDensityQuality=1
HairWorksGlobalDetailLODFactor=1
HairWorksGlobalWidthLimit=5

HairWorkstGlobalDensityLimit seems to be wrong named. may work though, because they change MaxTextureAnisotropy in texture presets to MaxTextureAnizotropy :/

also there is new setting in the terrain quality presets, named TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThresholdFar, with values like 8 7 5 and 3.5 for low mid high and uber. nvidia previously stated that terrain quality presets settings may not be implemented and do not change anything ingame. maybe it works now? i have a conclusion that terrain quality control geometry occlusion aggressiveness

made enhanced options mod 1.07 compatible

Last edited:
they implemented hairworks antialiasing option in the menu just like in the mod, but with proper name and "hair_works_preset" wich control the following in the usersettings.ini
for low preset
HairWorksGlobalStrandSmoothness=2
HairWorkstGlobalDensityLimit=0.35
HairWorksGlobalDensityQuality=0.75
HairWorksGlobalDetailLODFactor=0.65
HairWorksGlobalWidthLimit=2.25

for high preset
HairWorksGlobalStrandSmoothness=3
HairWorkstGlobalDensityLimit=2
HairWorksGlobalDensityQuality=1
HairWorksGlobalDetailLODFactor=1
HairWorksGlobalWidthLimit=5

HairWorkstGlobalDensityLimit seems to be wrong named. may work though, because they change MaxTextureAnisotropy in texture presets to MaxTextureAnizotropy :/

also there is new setting in the terrain quality presets, named TerrainScreenSpaceErrorThresholdFar, with values like 8 7 5 and 3.5 for low mid high and uber. nvidia previously stated that terrain quality presets settings may not be implemented and do not change anything ingame. maybe it works now? i have a conclusion that terrain quality control geometry occlusion aggressiveness

made enhanced options mod 1.07 compatible

When I used the Terrian quality control option the terrain drastically improved and I never seen it look so good. Also everything is all fixed with lighting as well. remember Nvidia did get it to work by doing some weird tweaks and now the terrain quality is all working. Test it out :)

if You want I can take screenshots in certain areas with each setting changed to see if there is a difference. :)

When I used the Terrian quality control option the terrain drastically improved and I never seen it look so good. Also everything is all fixed with lighting as well. remember Nvidia did get it to work by doing some weird tweaks and now the terrain quality is all working. Test it out

if You want I can take screenshots in certain areas with each setting changed to see if there is a difference.

go on, i wanna see it. 'cause i don't see any difference when i change terrain quality from low

to ultra

Last edited:
I just tested the terrain quality, absolutely no difference between low and ultra for me and I was always wondering why some ground textures look so low-res.

re: durante's article - vsync is a must when running FPS below refresh rate (otherwise, tearing). frame limiter is a must when running above refresh (otherwise causes timing issues with buffers).

this isn't specific to TW3, general graphics stuff.

also, the only reason he uses triple-buffering is because he's forcibly lowering the limiter to 30fps... this means that at 20ms frametimes, only 1 extra frame can be drawn. IF however, he had a faster card which can produce constant 16.66ms frametimes or below (60fps), his solution would break down, would need to limit to 60fps (in both of those cases, triple buffer is what's really smoothing it out, but it adds extra video+input lag).

in any case, limit to 60 fps, not 30 and you don't need triple-buffer as long as frametimes remain above 16.66ms. if you have a more powerful card, with lower frametimes, you'd also need a 120hz monitor, and limit to 120fps in NVCP, or use vsync. no need for triple-buffer. the reason he's not running it at 60 limit is probably due to not using vsync, which will draw the buffer immediately. and at 30 fps limit, it will cause tearing anyways, so moot point...

in hindsight... the conclusion he makes is very generic/random...

Last edited:
re: durante's article - vsync is a must when running FPS below refresh rate (otherwise, tearing). frame limiter is a must when running above refresh (otherwise causes timing issues with buffers).

this isn't specific to TW3, general graphics stuff.

also, the only reason he uses triple-buffering is because he's forcibly lowering the limiter to 30fps... this means that at 20ms frametimes, only 1 extra frame can be drawn. IF however, he had a faster card which can produce constant 16.66ms frametimes or below (60fps), his solution would break down, would need to limit to 60fps (in both of those cases, triple buffer is what's really smoothing it out, but it adds extra video+input lag).

in any case, limit to 60 fps, not 30 and you don't need triple-buffer as long as frametimes remain above 16.66ms. if you have a more powerful card, with lower frametimes, you'd also need a 120hz monitor, and limit to 120fps in NVCP, or use vsync. no need for triple-buffer. the reason he's not running it at 60 limit is probably due to not using vsync, which will draw the buffer immediately. and at 30 fps limit, it will cause tearing anyways, so moot point...

in hindsight... the conclusion he makes is very generic/random...

I've recently installed patch 1.07 myself and have been noticing some weird framerate drops (1-2 FPS) that occur very frequently while running through Novigrad. If I remember correctly, they were not as frequent before the patch - now, it's as if the game cannot maintain a constant 60 FPS at all, even though I get 80-90 FPS on average with the framerate completely uncapped (N.B. I've been using RTSS to limit it to 60 FPS).

Therefore, I've been trying to figure out if the NVIDIA Control Panel performance tweaks listed in the OP are still the best to use (e.g. Maximum Pre-rendered Frames to 1 - maybe it should be better left on default after all?) and if the garbage collection tweak (i.e. ObjectMemoryTrigger = 512 in "gc.ini") really helps mitigate stuttering or not.

I could sure use some of your help and expertise on this one, guys. It's been a while since I touched Witcher 3 (been very busy with work and played Batman: Arkham Knight with Kaldaien's tweaks whenever I could - the game really is great when you can actually play it!).

[/B]increases the maximum number of textures stored in video memory[/B] should use in the beginning.

Thank you very much for the feedback, I've just corrected the error. Hope you like the guide apart from that! :p

I've recently installed patch 1.07 myself and have been noticing some weird framerate drops (1-2 FPS) that occur very frequently while running through Novigrad. If I remember correctly, they were not as frequent before the patch - now, it's as if the game cannot maintain a constant 60 FPS at all, even though I get 80-90 FPS on average with the framerate completely uncapped (N.B. I've been using RTSS to limit it to 60 FPS).

you mean it drops to 1-2 fps? or by 1-2 fps? ;\ the fact the graphics thread is locked while NPCs spawn is a known issue. when they do, the frametime jumps to 66.0ms+, meaning <15 fps (but cant tell due to limit). it skips 3-4 frames easy. but that has existed since launch. it was improved by 5-10% in v1.07, but still hits 60-66ms (maybe the change doesn't play well with some system configs). it may be more noticeable on some hardware than others (like faster hardware, if the game just stops filling framebuffer, then yea, i can see that happening).

yea, i'm not actually sure how those frame limiters work that are external to the game. i'm not sure they can actually prevent stutter caused by the game engine writing frames... they may function such that they just prevent frames from being drawn if it goes over the cap, but the buffer is still filled by the game. in which case, they MAY work when fps is below refresh, but in your case, it's above refresh (begs the quesiotn why u need it in the first place). not sure... i don't have the technical details (not a graphics dev).

try enabling triple-buffer in NVCP, and vsync. since you have frames above refresh, and frame limiter off in-game. it may/may not help.

you could try underclocking your gpu to the point where you get less than 60 fps, it might lead you to the cause of the issue in this case (unless they make a distinction between over/underclock though, it may void your warranty).

imo, if the frame limiter worked in-game, this wouldn't be a problem to begin with (not sure why it doesn't work for some nvidia users properly).

just a guess here too, but nvidia's adaptive v-sync might actually cause those sorts of problems too. games may not like the driver playing with the refresh interval. til: gsync isnt the same thing. but may also cause issues, just a guess.

post your hardware specs here - list here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-other-fix-instructions?p=1852318#post1852318

Last edited:
you mean it drops to 1-2 fps? or by 1-2 fps? ;\ the fact the graphics thread is locked while NPCs spawn is a known issue. when they do, the frametime jumps to 66.0ms+, meaning <15 fps (but cant tell due to limit). it skips 3-4 frames easy. but that has existed since launch. it was improved by 5-10% in v1.07, but still hits 60-66ms (maybe the change doesn't play well with some system configs). it may be more noticeable on some hardware than others (like faster hardware, if the game just stops filling framebuffer, then yea, i can see that happening).

yea, i'm not actually sure how those frame limiters work that are external to the game. i'm not sure they can actually prevent stutter caused by the game engine writing frames... they may function such that they just prevent frames from being drawn if it goes over the cap, but the buffer is still filled by the game. in which case, they MAY work when fps is below refresh, but in your case, it's above refresh (begs the quesiotn why u need it in the first place). not sure... i don't have the technical details (not a graphics dev).

try enabling triple-buffer in NVCP, and vsync. since you have frames above refresh, and frame limiter off in-game. it may/may not help.

you could try underclocking your gpu to the point where you get less than 60 fps, it might lead you to the cause of the issue in this case (unless they make a distinction between over/underclock though, it may void your warranty).

imo, if the frame limiter worked in-game, this wouldn't be a problem to begin with (not sure why it doesn't work for some nvidia users properly).

just a guess here too, but nvidia's adaptive v-sync might actually cause those sorts of problems too. games may not like the driver playing with the refresh interval. til: gsync isnt the same thing. but may also cause issues, just a guess.

post your hardware specs here - list here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-other-fix-instructions?p=1852318#post1852318

Sorry, I meant dropping by 1-2 FPS, of course! :p

I remember being aware of these frame drops before, but they seem much more frequent now. I have listed my system specs below and I am also using a 120 Hz monitor (BenQ XL2420T). I've been using RTSS to limit my framerate to 60 FPS because I don't like to have it fluctuating all over the place depending on what happens on-screen. A locked 60 FPS is fluid enough for me, but I really don't know what else to do to obtain this in Witcher 3. :(

Intel i5-3570K 4.4 Ghz, GeiL 8 GB DDR3 2133 Mhz, MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6 GB GDDR5, Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB

Last edited:
OC'd cpu? or just typo? they're 3.4ghz.

dropping by 1-2 fps, you mean to 58/59? how is that even noticeable? lol ;p

i go from 35-45 fps and that's plenty stable for me ;o

honestly though, can't help you much else, follow other user nvidia guidelines. try pick one with a similar gpu performance.

try settings you monitor refresh down to 60hz, since the gpu still sees it as 120. so vsync will be messed up for you, if you're limited to 60fps).

not saying it's gonna fix anything... users report various things :\ it's hard to say...

but 120hz monitor and above 60fps prob won't work with configs people are using for 40 fps, 60hz.

other than limiting to 120 instead, vsync and triple-buffer. actually, if you can maintain over 60 fps, you don't need triple-buffer.

but don't use adaptive vsync.

edit: just noticed, the guide recommends turning vsync off to prevent crashing? that's odd... wtf... blame nvidia i guess. (ah, in-game though, yea blame nvidia) you can still enable it in the control panel.

why would it crash unless they're doing something funky to the framebuffers? no sense...

standards nvidia, do you use them? apparently not...

then there's this: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ers-present!?p=1852837&viewfull=1#post1852837

so it apparently works without having to resort to hacks/tweaks, but... zero info on the subject. even the user-stickied thread mentions to disable them. :\

Last edited:
Anyone else noticed that there is to much mipmap bias now, then before patch 1.07 ?
It looks now to sharp sometimes when u look on the ground it looks like a heatwave, not sure how to say it correctly.

Can i make it look again like before 1.07 ?
If so please tell me how, the mipmap sharpnis is just to much, looks almost like radioactive sunwave graphics, to sharp to much mipmap bias.

Just head to your INI (Documents > Witcher 3 > User) and find the "TextureMipBias" and adjust it.

If you want to minimize the effect, make it a higher value, up to 0. I had it at -1 pre-1.07, and it seems unchanged by 1.07, so perhaps something got muddled or changed in your settings, but go for the tweak.

OC'd cpu? or just typo? they're 3.4ghz.

dropping by 1-2 fps, you mean to 58/59? how is that even noticeable? lol ;p

then there's this: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ers-present!?p=1852837&viewfull=1#post1852837

so it apparently works without having to resort to hacks/tweaks, but... zero info on the subject. even the user-stickied thread mentions to disable them. :\

Yup, my CPU is indeed overclocked from the default 3.4 Ghz to 4.4 Ghz and, if they are frequent enough, even drops to 58-59 can be annoying/immersion breaking! :p

That being said, I have once again started playing Witcher 3 in earnest after reaching 100% completion in Batman: Arkham Knight, so I will now try everything that I can to minimise this stuttering. Here are all of the tweaks I'm running now, which do seem to help over the default settings, at least in my case:

GOG Galaxy settings:

In-game overlay: Unticked (disabled)

In-game video settings menu:

VSync: Off
Maximum Frames Per Second: Unlimited
Display Mode: Full Screen

In-game gameplay settings menu:

Movement mode: Alternative

RTSS

Framerate limit: 60

NVIDIA Control Panel:

Anisotropic filtering: 16x
Maximum pre-rendered frames: 1
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Texture filtering - Quality: High quality
Threaded Optimization: On

User.settings file:

[Rendering]
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=2.5
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=2.5
TextureMipBias=-0.7
TextureMemoryBudget=3072
EnableHighPrecision=true

[Input/Gestures]
EnableSwipe=false
EnablePan=false
EnableGestures=false
EnablePinch=false

[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassRingSize=8388608

[Kinect]
Kinect=false

[Streaming/Textures]
UseMipRefiner=true

Visuals.ini file:

MovieFramerate=60
MovieUbersampling=false

Gc.ini file:

ObjectMemoryTrigger=512

Anyone else noticed that there is to much mipmap bias now, then before patch 1.07 ?
It looks now to sharp sometimes when u look on the ground it looks like a heatwave, not sure how to say it correctly.

Can i make it look again like before 1.07 ?
If so please tell me how, the mipmap sharpnis is just to much, looks almost like radioactive sunwave graphics, to sharp to much mipmap bias.

I know exactly what you mean, a texture mip bias value of "-1" is way too sharp for me. Just navigate to your "user.ini" file and change "TextureMipBias" from "-1" to "-0.7", as that should give you a nice sharpening effect that is not overbearing.

Also, make sure to set "Sharpening" to "Off" in the post-processing in-game settings menu, as the above "TextureMipBias" tweak produces a much nicer sharpening effect and there's really no need to sharpen your textures twice. ;)

Last edited:

My CPU has a max utilization of around 40% after play sessions. Will turning this on gain me more FPS, or will it be useless in my case?

[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassRingSize=8388608

Does this means less grass pop in? As it is rendering a bigger area of grass around you?
What does GrassDistanceScale do? Is it the same thing?

ObjectMemoryTrigger=512

What does this do?

Just a small report from the tweaks I applied yesterday on my PC (i5 2500 3.8 GHz (constantly, no TurboBoost); 16 Gb RAM; GTX980; Win7 x64 SP1)... Most game settings are Ultra, except for HairWorks (4x AA, low profile), No VSync, Very High Shadows and turned off Sharpenning, 1600x900 resolution (I always play windowed). With these settings my rig can handle ~60-70 FPS outdoors and up to ~90 indoors (Tested in the very first village where you seek for Yennefer, I just started to play the game).

I applied almost every FPS-boosting tweak from OP guide one by one (except for RivaTuner frame limiting). And these tweaks didn't really increase performance, maybe 1-2 extra FPS at best. However, one of these settings in Nvidia Control Panel:
Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: 1
Power Management Mode: Prefer maximum performance
Caused serious mouse lag, like it's sensetivity was constantly going up and down, so I set these back to defaults. It didn't otherwise change performance anyway.

On the bright side, tweaks that improve visual quality didn't affect FPS either (I applied only FPS-friendly ones)

So I guess these tweaks are not that necessary on my rig, or I tested them in wrong game location. Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience with this guide before finally playing the game, and not with it's settings :)

My CPU has a max utilization of around 40% after play sessions. Will turning this on gain me more FPS, or will it be useless in my case?

According to TweakGuides.com, "Threaded Optimization... controls the use of multithreaded optimization for games on systems with multi-core/HyperThreaded CPUs. In theory, by allowing the driver to offload certain GPU-related processing tasks as separate thread(s) on available CPU cores, performance can be improved."

Since switching PhysX processing to the CPU proved useful in boosting framerates and eliminating some stutter, especially on Kepler cards (I've yet to try this on my new Maxwell one, but will do so soon), I thought that forcing Threaded Optimization "On" would cause the game to make better use of multithreaded CPUs.

That being said, maybe the game doesn't really like that, based on what NlelithZ44 posted earlier? :unsure:

Does this means less grass pop in? As it is rendering a bigger area of grass around you?
What does GrassDistanceScale do? Is it the same thing?

GrassRingSize has been identified by jonwd7 to cause some stutter when setting Foliage Distance to "Ultra", which is why he recommended reducing it from "16777216" (i.e. the "Ultra" value) down to "8388608", which quality-wise is right in between the "High" and "Ultra" preset values.

As far as I can tell from the name, it determines how far grass spawns around Geralt, so tweaking this value upwards should lead to less grass pop-in! :p

What does this do?

ObjectMemoryTrigger denotes the memory threshold that the game uses to determine the frequency of running garbage collection (i.e. removing assets that are no longer required). Increasing this value has been known to reduce stuttering, especially in large cities such as Novigrad. I decided to give it a shot, but I'm still unsure if I should keep it at "512".

Maybe someone can test this as well and report back whenever they find the time? I would greatly appreciate the help! :cheers2:

Just a small report from the tweaks I applied yesterday on my PC (i5 2500 3.8 GHz (constantly, no TurboBoost); 16 Gb RAM; GTX980; Win7 x64 SP1)... Most game settings are Ultra, except for HairWorks (4x AA, low profile), No VSync, Very High Shadows and turned off Sharpenning, 1600x900 resolution (I always play windowed). With these settings my rig can handle ~60-70 FPS outdoors and up to ~90 indoors (Tested in the very first village where you seek for Yennefer, I just started to play the game).

I applied almost every FPS-boosting tweak from OP guide one by one (except for RivaTuner frame limiting). And these tweaks didn't really increase performance, maybe 1-2 extra FPS at best. However, one of these settings in Nvidia Control Panel:
Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames: 1
Power Management Mode: Prefer maximum performance
Caused serious mouse lag, like it's sensetivity was constantly going up and down, so I set these back to defaults. It didn't otherwise change performance anyway.

On the bright side, tweaks that improve visual quality didn't affect FPS either (I applied only FPS-friendly ones)

So I guess these tweaks are not that necessary on my rig, or I tested them in wrong game location. Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience with this guide before finally playing the game, and not with it's settings :)

A warm welcome and thank you very much for your detailed report, my friend! :D

First of all, may I ask if you've also tried playing the game in "Full Screen", just to see if it improves your performance over "Borderless Windowed"?

I have in fact noticed some weird mouse behaviour as well lately and I am a bit afraid that forcing Threaded Optimization on does not help that much in this instance. I will try switching the value back to "Auto" in the NVIDIA Control Panel to see if it remedies the problem or not. Maximum pre-rendered frames does seem to reduce input lag when set to "1", though, and Prefer maximum performance simply prevents the GPU from downclocking while browsing your menu screens (e.g. inventory, journal, bestiary, etc.) or playing Gwent, which can lead to stuttering once you close said screens and the GPU clocks ramp back up when you return to normal gameplay.

I don't know if patch 1.07 introduced the stuttering that I'm now seeing per se, but whenever I find something I will let you guys know straight away! ;)

Some other tweaks that I have been experimenting with in order to reduce texture pop-in are the following:

User.settings file:

[Rendering]
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=40
TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=false
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=80

Bear in mind that you will need to manually add TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=false under the [Rendering] section of your "user.settings" file yourselves, but it really does seem to reduce unsightly texture streaming on NPCs from what I've seen thus far! :D

Last edited:
can anyone tell me what ini settings to tweak to fix the idiotic texture pop in? So much for the new patch fixing it. I'm at the quest with to <spoiler> Act out a play to find dudu and during the play the amount of texture pop in and hideous clipping was just enough to break immersion. I have a GTX 970, ao any high end ini tweaks are welcome. I like CD PROJEKT, but lately, their attitude towards providing engine tweaking tips just sucks. You'd think one of them would show up and give us tweaks for those with high end rigs. Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom