A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
can anyone tell me what ini settings to tweak to fix the idiotic texture pop in? So much for the new patch fixing it. I'm at the quest with to <spoiler> Act out a play to find dudu and during the play the amount of texture pop in and hideous clipping was just enough to break immersion. I have a GTX 970, ao any high end ini tweaks are welcome. I like CD PROJEKT, but lately, their attitude towards providing engine tweaking tips just sucks. You'd think one of them would show up and give us tweaks for those with high end rigs. Ridiculous.

I just posted some potential fixes above, but here they are again, below:

User.settings file:

[Rendering]
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimit=40
TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=false
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimit=80

Bear in mind that you will need to manually add TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=false under the [Rendering] section of your "user.settings" file yourself!

I do hope this alleviates your texture pop-in, since it was bugging me a great deal as well! :p

Last edited:
Did anyone notice some lack of AA after the last patch? It annoys me when I'm looking at 'shimmering' armor+swords and jaggy NPCs :(

I have indeed noticed increased aliasing, but I think the shimmering is actually caused by the "TextureMipBias" setting. Go to your "user.settings" file and try reducing it or disabling it altogether (i.e. set it to "0") to see if it alleviates the problem!

I just posted some potential fixes above, but here they are again, below:

User.settings file:

[Rendering]
Bear in mind that you will need to manually add TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=false under the [Rendering] section of your "user.settings" file yourself!
I set mine to 0. Why did you change it to text value true/false instead of using a number? How do you know the setting can recognize a text setting when it is a number by default?

I set mine to 0. Why did you change it to text value true/false instead of using a number? How do you know the setting can recognize a text setting when it is a number by default?

TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD is a boolean parameter - it only ever accepts values of either "true" or "false" (its name also gives this away). I don't know why you assumed it uses numeric values by default, because this particular line doesn't even show in your "user.settings" file unless you add it there yourself. ???

See this post by Asmodean778 for a full list of these hidden parameters that you can add to your "user.settings" file and then tweak at your leisure! ;)

Last edited:
So far, Verrenus, the insane pop in has been reduced but not eliminated. I think CDP broke something with the patch because I keep having issues that were never present pre patch. Sometimes the screen will blur and the loading icon will appear as if the game is trying to load the rest of the world. This, despite my msi 970 and i7 cpu.

Here's a question, the rendering ini file in the witcher 3 bin folder and or the user ini in documents, what settings can I adjust to increase visual fidelity and vram usage? Also what can I adjust to eliminate the grid-like effects that shadows tend to have?

Thanks for the tweaks earlier.

(And CDPR, if you're reading this, it's a shame. I know you guys worked so hard to make this game amazing, but would it freaking hurt to post your own official tweak guides to improve the game. I mean, come on.)

TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD is a boolean parameter - it only ever accepts values of either "true" or "false" (its name also gives this away). I don't know why you assumed it uses numeric values by default, because this particular line doesn't even show in your "user.settings" file unless you add it there yourself. ???

Ah, sorry I seem to have mixed it up with ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay=.

So far, Verrenus, the insane pop in has been reduced but not eliminated. I think CDP broke something with the patch because I keep having issues that were never present pre patch. Sometimes the screen will blur and the loading icon will appear as if the game is trying to load the rest of the world. This, despite my msi 970 and i7 cpu.

Here's a question, the rendering ini file in the witcher 3 bin folder and or the user ini in documents, what settings can I adjust to increase visual fidelity and vram usage? Also what can I adjust to eliminate the grid-like effects that shadows tend to have?

Thanks for the tweaks earlier.

(And CDPR, if you're reading this, it's a shame. I know you guys worked so hard to make this game amazing, but would it freaking hurt to post your own official tweak guides to improve the game. I mean, come on.)

Thank you very much for taking the time to report back and for your kind words, darspiron! ;)

I've noticed a trend with Witcher 3's patches, namely that every released patch fixes a lot of bugs, but also introduces a fair number of problems as well. Unfortunately, there is only so much we end-users can do to try and remedy these issues with some tweaks here and there. I myself am really annoyed with the constant stuttering RTSS is registering, despite my best efforts towards eliminating it. :(

For applying most of the tweaks listed throughout this thread, you should leave the game's default configuration files alone (e.g. "rendering.ini" from your "The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt/bin/config/base" folder) and modify your "user.settings" file under "Documents/The Witcher 3" instead. Some useful tweaks to apply to that file are:

[Rendering]
TextureMemoryBudget=3072
EnableHighPrecision=true
TextureMipBias=-0.7
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=2.5
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=2.5

[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassRingSize=8388608

[Streaming/Textures]
UseMipRefiner=true

Just save your changes to the "user.settings" file and don't bother make it "Read-only" - it's really not necessary unless you touch the same graphics sliders in the in-game options menu again! ;)

Ah, sorry I seem to have mixed it up with ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay=.

No problem at all, my friend! What does ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay govern by the way? :p

If you find any other parameter that improves visual fidelity/performance when tweaked, then please share your knowledge with the rest of us. Have lots of fun playing the game in the meantime and thank you once again for your help! ;)

Last edited:
A warm welcome and thank you very much for your detailed report, my friend! :D

First of all, may I ask if you've also tried playing the game in "Full Screen", just to see if it improves your performance over "Borderless Windowed"?

I have in fact noticed some weird mouse behaviour as well lately and I am a bit afraid that forcing Threaded Optimization on does not help that much in this instance. I will try switching the value back to "Auto" in the NVIDIA Control Panel to see if it remedies the problem or not. Maximum pre-rendered frames does seem to reduce input lag when set to "1", though, and Prefer maximum performance simply prevents the GPU from downclocking while browsing your menu screens (e.g. inventory, journal, bestiary, etc.) or playing Gwent, which can lead to stuttering once you close said screens and the GPU clocks ramp back up when you return to normal gameplay.
Thanks! I didn't try to play Fullscreen or Borderless Windowed, I play in Windowed 1600 x 900 on a FullHD monitor (I like to see software popups/what's going on in my browser tabs). I will try to go Fullscreen next time I'll play and report if that improves performance.

And thanks for those NVIDIA Control Panel settings clarification! I actually can confirm that some mouse lag still occurs after loading a saved game, never noticed it after closing any menu, though. I will try to turn on Prefer maximum performance setting and check if it fixes mouse stutter.

What does ScaleformTextureUnstreamDelay govern by the way? :p

I don't know. I asked in a thread for some developer to tell us, but no one answered.
My best guess would be that, if I go by the description, it is how long a higher res texture will be online after a player left the area in which that texture was streamed.

Thanks! I didn't try to play Fullscreen or Borderless Windowed, I play in Windowed 1600 x 900 on a FullHD monitor (I like to see software popups/what's going on in my browser tabs). I will try to go Fullscreen next time I'll play and report if that improves performance.

And thanks for those NVIDIA Control Panel settings clarification! I actually can confirm that some mouse lag still occurs after loading a saved game, never noticed it after closing any menu, though. I will try to turn on Prefer maximum performance setting and check if it fixes mouse stutter.

No problem, glad to be of help! ;)

Please do try playing in both "Full Screen" and "Borderless Windowed" display modes, because the former, at least, is bound to give you increased and/or more stable performance than "Windowed". The same applies to "Prefer maximum performance" - it should make your framerate that much more stable throughout your play sessions!

Have lots of fun playing the game and please report back with your findings whenever you have the time! :p

I don't know. I asked in a thread for some developer to tell us, but no one answered.
My best guess would be that, if I go by the description, it is how long a higher res texture will be online after a player left the area in which that texture was streamed.

CDPR has a weird habit of ignoring certain questions, especially those related to their streaming and LOD systems it would seem. I am still curious to know why they hard-locked the latter - what harm could it have done us to be able to adjust LOD? ???

is there a tweak that fix hair, beard, object pop-ing in cutscene?

I am very happy to say that the tweaks I posted earlier reduce these issues a great deal, if not fix them altogether! All you need to do is navigate to "Documents/The Witcher 3", open the "user.settings" file with a text editor (e.g. Notepad) and then tweak the following parameters under the corresponding section:

User.settings file:

[Rendering]

Bear in mind that you will need to manually add TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=false under the [Rendering] section of your "user.settings" file yourself, because the game does not include it by default (I have no idea why, given its role in alleviating texture pop-in)!

Please let me know if these tweaks helped you out at all and I will add them to the OP as soon as I have confirmation! Have fun playing the game until then! ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the settings tweaks Verrenus! So far, gameplay has been smooth, minus a few quirks here and there

Don't mention it, my friend, it's my pleasure! It always brightens my day to hear others getting more out of their games as a consequence of this thread! :cheers2:

Frankly, with so many graphical bugs and glitches, we should consider ourselves lucky for only having to deal with a few niggles. As soon as I have any new suggestions, I will post them for everyone here to see and test.

Thanks again for your support and have a blast playing! If The Witcher 3 wasn't a genuinely superb game underneath all of the technical problems, I doubt people would be this upset about the patches breaking its performance with every new release! :p

Last edited:
I am very happy to say that the tweaks I posted earlier reduce these issues a great deal, if not fix them altogether! All you need to do is navigate to "Documents/The Witcher 3", open the "user.settings" file with a text editor (e.g. Notepad) and then tweak the following parameters under the corresponding section:

User.settings file:

[Rendering]

You should update the OP with this info. It does help to alleviate those pesky pop-ins by a lot. Thanks for the info.

After 1.07 my game started to do this annoying micro-jittery-stuttery that wasn't present in 1.06. I get 60fps but the frames aren't smooth. Anyone else experiencing this? I've tried like every trick I know to fix it but without success.

Sorry to ask
I read that we could modify the performance.xml file in "bin\config" and change the present and fpslimit values for better visuals. however GTX 970 is not there. should add a line ?

You should update the OP with this info. It does help to alleviate those pesky pop-ins by a lot. Thanks for the info.

Thanks ever so much for testing this and confirming it works, I will update the OP as soon as I finish writing this very post! Have a blast playing the game now! :p

After 1.07 my game started to do this annoying micro-jittery-stuttery that wasn't present in 1.06. I get 60fps but the frames aren't smooth. Anyone else experiencing this? I've tried like every trick I know to fix it but without success.

That would be exactly how I would describe my experience with patch 1.07. Check between the spoiler tags below for everything I have done so far to try and remedy this problem:

GOG Galaxy settings:

In-game overlay: Unticked (disabled)

In-game video settings menu:

VSync: Off
Maximum Frames Per Second: Unlimited
Display Mode: Full Screen

All other settings apart from HairWorks (Off), Anti-aliasing (Off), Sharpening (Off), Motion Blur (Off), Vignetting (Off) and Chromatic Aberration (Off) were set to their maximum values before applying the tweaks below!

In-game gameplay settings menu:

Movement mode: Alternative

RTSS

Framerate limit: 60

SweetFX

SweetFX 2.0 Preview 8 + ReShade 0.19.2
K-putt'e Config 1.4

NVIDIA Control Panel:

a) PhysX processing

PhysX processor: CPU

b) The Witcher 3 profile

Anisotropic filtering: 16x
Maximum pre-rendered frames: 1
Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance
Texture filtering - Quality: High quality
Threaded Optimization: On

User.settings file (.../Documents/The Witcher 3):

[Rendering]
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=2
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=2.5
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=2.5
TextureMemoryBudget=3072
EnableHighPrecision=true
TextureMipBias=-0.7

[Input/Gestures]
EnableSwipe=false
EnablePan=false
EnableGestures=false
EnablePinch=false

[Rendering/SpeedTree]
GrassRingSize=8388608

[Kinect]
Kinect=false

[Streaming/Textures]
UseMipRefiner=true

Visuals.ini file (.../The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt/bin/config/base):

MovieFramerate=60
MovieUbersampling=false

Gc.ini file (.../The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt/bin/config/base):

ObjectMemoryTrigger=512

Please let me know if any of these tweaks helped mitigate your stuttering or not, should you have the time, of course. Good luck! ;)

Sorry to ask
I read that we could modify the performance.xml file in "bin\config" and change the present and fpslimit values for better visuals. however GTX 970 is not there. should add a line ?

No problem at all and that's a very good question, friend! :p

Unfortunately, all that "performance.xml" actually does is it tells the game how to set up your graphics settings based on your system's performance the very first time you run the game. That's all there is to it - no modification made to this file will make a change that you couldn't otherwise do by simply tweaking the sliders from the in-game graphics menu. ;)

If you want to apply some tweaks that really do make a difference, check between the spoiler tags above for a full list of every tweak I am currently running. Should you have any other questions, don't hesitate to come here and ask, that's what this thread is all about in the end - helping each other get the most out of our game! :cheers2:

---------- Updated at 10:18 PM ----------

Updated the guide with a tweak for reducing, if not altogether fixing, the egregious texture pop-in introduced by patch 1.07! Check section 6 in the OP for straightforward instructions on how to implement it, then have fun playing the game! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom