A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
After many hours of tweaking i have given up on NPC Pop-In issue.I have tried every single tweak i have found to have helped other people, and many other random tweaks that also didn't help AT ALL. I've found out that they don't neccesarily pop-in right in front of you, but can also appear if you look in the sky and move the camera 360°(Or just move camera in random directions?).If anyone has any idea or advice on how to deal with this issue, you are welcome to say it here .
Here is a video of it in action:

Updated the OP with instructions on how to best solve the game's frame pacing issues by enabling NVIDIA's Adaptive VSync and Triple Buffering (section 11). A million thanks go to everyone here and on NeoGAF for their invaluable feedback in testing these settings and confirming they bring a sizable improvement to the game's smoothness! :cheers2:

Does the tweak for the the pop-in issues (section 6) by any chance set the ingame optionb slider for Details and Textures to low? It happened to my game, but I'm not sure what caused it, but the textures and details still look like ultra setting to me...

Last edited:
After many hours of tweaking i have given up on NPC Pop-In issue.I have tried every single tweak i have found to have helped other people, and many other random tweaks that also didn't help AT ALL. I've found out that they don't neccesarily pop-in right in front of you, but can also appear if you look in the sky and move the camera 360°(Or just move camera in random directions?).If anyone has any idea or advice on how to deal with this issue, you are welcome to say it here .
Here is a video of it in action:

The culprit is here Umbra 3 engine which Witcher 3 uses. It's the cause of these annoying pop-ups so unless somebody finds a way to hack into Witcher 3's Umbra engine and then "tweak" the values, we can't do anything about those pop-ups or the limited draw distance.

Hello

I have lags, when i see fire in the game ( Camp fires, torches) Can you help me in this problem? Sorry for my bad english.

Hi there! :p

Your framerate is likely suffering around fires because of the extra shadows they draw around them. Try reducing your in-game "Shadow Quality" setting down a notch and see if that doesn't improve your performance.

Good luck and please report back if you find the time! ;)

Is there an AMD equivalent on this? Thank you.

Like Geralt_of_bsas replied before me, RadeonPro can be used to apply the same tweak on AMD GPUs, since it enables you to use "Dynamic V-sync Control (DVC)", which is AMD's version of "Adaptive VSync". ;)

Since I am an NVIDIA user myself, I don't have any personal experience with configuring RadeonPro, but I will update the OP with the download link at the very least (edit: DONE!). Thank you very much for the feedback and good luck with your tweaking! :p

After many hours of tweaking i have given up on NPC Pop-In issue.I have tried every single tweak i have found to have helped other people, and many other random tweaks that also didn't help AT ALL. I've found out that they don't neccesarily pop-in right in front of you, but can also appear if you look in the sky and move the camera 360°(Or just move camera in random directions?).If anyone has any idea or advice on how to deal with this issue, you are welcome to say it here.

Thank you very much for the video, katicc, but I'm afraid that, for reasons beyond our understanding, CDPR hard-locked the Umbra 3 occlusion technology that controls parameters such as NPC pop-in, LOD transitions and draw distances, probably to maintain parity with the console versions of the game. All of these bugs could be very easily fixed or at least lessened if only we had access to those locked variables. :(

Does the tweak for the the pop-in issues (section 6) by any chance set the ingame optionb slider for Details and Textures to low? It happened to my game, but I'm not sure what caused it, but the textures and details still look like ultra setting to me...

Thank you for the excellent question, SkycladGuardian! :D

Many tweaks included in the OP will reset your in-game graphics sliders to "Low", but that doesn't mean the game will actually run on low settings - quite the opposite in fact, it will make full use of whatever settings you tweaked in your .ini files.

As long as you set your in-game graphics settings to whatever your machine can handle, then apply your .ini file tweaks and simply leave those sliders that have reset to "Low" alone, you don't need to worry about anything else and can just enjoy playing your tweaked game! If you ever want to revert your applied tweaks in the future, just move the graphics sliders back to their original position, that's all there is to it. :p

---------- Updated at 01:09 PM ----------

Updated section 5 of the OP based on user feedback that the "LeftStickSensitivity" tweak actually improves in-game movement responsiveness using mouse and keyboard as well!

I have tested this for myself and it does seem to make controls less sluggish, further improving the new "Alternative" movement option. Give it a try for yourselves whenever you find the time! ;)

Last edited:
Updated the OP with instructions on how to best solve the game's frame pacing issues by enabling NVIDIA's Adaptive VSync and Triple Buffering (section 11). A million thanks go to everyone here and on NeoGAF for their invaluable feedback in testing these settings and confirming they bring a sizable improvement to the game's smoothness! :cheers2:

Hi mate
This is how it worked on my system while in-game Vsync=off and Nvidia Triple buffering=on :

- FPS=unlimited, Nvidia Vsync=adaptive resulted in smooth playing most of the times and stuttering effect in some parts.
- FPS=unlimited, Nvidia Vsync=adaptive (half refresh rate) resulted in massive frame drop ! (kind of weird I know)
- FPS limit=30/60, Nvidia Vsync=on resulted in smooth playing (no stuttering in previous places).

so I concluded that the in-game FPS limit won't bother as long as the in-game Vsync is off. for those people with performance issue, I think it's better to set FPS limit to 30 and have Nvidia Vsync=on instead of unlimiting FPS and using adaptive Vsync mode.

What really pisses me off that people complain about so tiny things here. Game was almost perfect in 1.06. Few minor bugs but who cares. Without those stupid pop-in complains ect. the performance could be the same as in 1.06. And whats with all these useless features like extra stashes, inventory tweaks, alternative movements... I mean come on already! If I could rollback to 1.06 in Steam then no worries there but I can't. Haven't played this game for two weeks now cuz of the micro-stutter.
I truly hope they restore the performance in 1.08 or I'll go apeshit. Peace!

Thank you so much for putting the time and effort into testing out these tweaks, berserker, I really appreciate it! :cheers2:

It's a shame none of them worked in the end, but I think it was worth giving them a shot. I should probably remove EnableHighPrecision=true from my "user.settings" file then, if only just to keep it as lean as possible. ;)

P.S. Did your post contain screenshots as well, since the links appear to be broken if that is the case? ???

Apparently, increasing the value of GlobalOceanTesselationFactor in your "user.settings" file makes waves bigger during stormy weather! According to MUPETTA, raising it to "128" seems to bring back the waves seen in the VGX trailer from 2013. I've yet to test this for myself, but maybe it's worth giving this tweak a shot as well? :p

---------- Updated at 01:11 AM ----------

Alright guys, after extensive tweaking and reading several posts from the Witcher 3 PC thread on NeoGAF (especially this one), I have come to the conclusion that the best way to combat the game's framepacing issues is to disable the game's internal frame limiter and VSync and set it to run in fullscreen (i.e. set "Maximum Framer Per Second" to "Unlimited", "VSync" to "Off" and "Display Mode" to "Full Screen"), then open NVIDIA Control Panel and force on both Adaptive VSync (regular or half refresh rate, depending on your maximum desired framerate) and Triple Buffering.

This combination of settings gave me the smoothest frame pacing I've seen thus far, without any tearing and even without the added input lag associated with traditional VSync! Suffice it to say, I gave up on using RTSS entirely and couldn't be happier about it. I'm not sure what Durante was on about earlier, but I think he's been proven wrong by quite a few people since his PC Gamer article went online... ;)

Please give Adaptive VSync + Triple Buffering a try, guys, I'm enjoying the game a lot more now that I've sorted out these problems! :p

I did this and it worked quite nicely never had such smooth and fast movement in Witcher 3 game ever. This also some of the other settings you mentioned like the GC setting to 512 I think helped as well. My monitor is 120Hz one and so I used half Adaptive - Vsync with triple buffering and pre-rendered frames to 1. The game runs in fullscreen mode. I think I played a good amount of close to maybe 3 hours and no crash. Normally I would crash much quicker with that random CTD that plagues people since day 1 still.

Left Physx set to Auto and did all those other tweaks you mentioned as well. Game is running very smoothly and fast so it seems my fps is up around to 60. Not saying its solid 60 since I don't have overlay enabled in the game to see fps since I know the overlay itself can cause performance drops.

My Specs:
i7 2600 Processor 3.8GHz OC
GTX 970 FTW - 1215 MHz - 1404 MHz Max Boost
GTX 670 FTW - 1084 MHz 2GB VRAM - Physx Set to Auto in CP (GTX 670 chosen as Physx card)
8GB 2133MHz DDR3 Corsair Platinum Dominators
3TB Seagate Barricuda HDD 7200RPM

Also want to point out that I am using Precision X to keep my fan profile working as I want it to work. Though I did add Witcher3.exe to the Server list that makes sure it blocks OSD on that game. Even though Precision X doesn't have working OSD for Witcher 3 I still have crashed with it disabled but adding it to server block list seems to have stopped any of the crashes. I want to point out that I have razer software for my keyboard and mouse and I exit the program out entirely since I have had crashes with it on. Also disabled RealTek audio as well since I use my G35 Headset as my main speakers :). Emulated 7.1 Surround sound. Using the drivers leaked for Ark game which surprisingly doesn't install Geforce Experience which made my day b/c I hate that program with a passion. Also it has brought back the old updater method that was used before Geforce Experience came out.

Noticed you linked Kaldaien's Batman thread a few times and I will state I am HolyDeath3000 from that thread :). Glad to see you trying some of his tweaks in this game since they are very similar. His tool does marvels for many which is quite good of so many people giving great feedback.

Forgot to mention I am using Precision X framerate locker at 60 :).

Last edited:
Hi mate
This is how it worked on my system while in-game Vsync=off and Nvidia Triple buffering=on :

- FPS=unlimited, Nvidia Vsync=adaptive resulted in smooth playing most of the times and stuttering effect in some parts.
- FPS=unlimited, Nvidia Vsync=adaptive (half refresh rate) resulted in massive frame drop ! (kind of weird I know)
- FPS limit=30/60, Nvidia Vsync=on resulted in smooth playing (no stuttering in previous places).

so I concluded that the in-game FPS limit won't bother as long as the in-game Vsync is off. for those people with performance issue, I think it's better to set FPS limit to 30 and have Nvidia Vsync=on instead of unlimiting FPS and using adaptive Vsync mode.

Thank you very much for testing all of these setting combinations, B.Leopard! :D

Based on your findings, I will definitely try setting the in-game framerate limiter to 60 FPS and enable default VSync via the NVIDIA Control Panel, then see for myself if this eliminates stuttering altogether on my end as well! ;)

I wonder if tweaking user.settings override the following The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base\rendering.ini ?

regarding the pop-in issue, there's also the following line in rendering.ini
TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=ture

I did this and it worked quite nicely never had such smooth and fast movement in Witcher 3 game ever. This also some of the other settings you mentioned like the GC setting to 512 I think helped as well. My monitor is 120Hz one and so I used half Adaptive - Vsync with triple buffering and pre-rendered frames to 1. The game runs in fullscreen mode. I think I played a good amount of close to maybe 3 hours and no crash. Normally I would crash much quicker with that random CTD that plagues people since day 1 still.

Left Physx set to Auto and did all those other tweaks you mentioned as well. Game is running very smoothly and fast so it seems my fps is up around to 60. Not saying its solid 60 since I don't have overlay enabled in the game to see fps since I know the overlay itself can cause performance drops.

Noticed you linked Kaldaien's Batman thread a few times and I will state I am HolyDeath3000 from that thread :). Glad to see you trying some of his tweaks in this game since they are very similar. His tool does marvels for many which is quite good of so many people giving great feedback.

Forgot to mention I am using Precision X framerate locker at 60 :).

Thank you very much for your invaluable feedback and yes, I did recognise you from Kaldaien's Batman: Arkham Knight thread! His tweaks actually helped me reach 100% completion in that game with only very minor stuttering and not a single crash in over 65 hours of gameplay, that's how good they really are. If only we had an expert software engineer such as him to help us tweak all of Witcher 3's hidden parameters. :p

I wonder if tweaking user.settings override the following The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\base\rendering.ini ?

regarding the pop-in issue, there's also the following line in rendering.ini
TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=ture

I can confirm that any tweaks made to your "user.settings" file will override the correspondent values present in the .ini files located in the game's installation folder. ;)

Last edited:
The culprit is here Umbra 3 engine which Witcher 3 uses. It's the cause of these annoying pop-ups so unless somebody finds a way to hack into Witcher 3's Umbra engine and then "tweak" the values, we can't do anything about those pop-ups or the limited draw distance.

the only person capable to modify the dll would be skomski ( the guy who made the debug console ) but from what i heard from KNG he's been away for a long time now, might have to wait Redkit to do anything properly

the only person capable to modify the dll would be skomski ( the guy who made the debug console ) but from what i heard from KNG he's been away for a long time now, might have to wait Redkit to do anything properly

I doubt Redkit is going help to us in this matter. we might have to wait until the Apocalypse my friend. :cirisad:

Just out of curiosity have you touched this section of the user.settings file?

[Budget]
TerrainTileMipDataBudget=100
TerrainTileMinTimeout=2
TerrainTileTimeout=10
OcclusionQueryAdditionalMemory=5
TerrainTileLoadingTimeout=5

Just out of curiosity have you touched this section of the user.settings file?

[Budget]
TerrainTileMipDataBudget=100
TerrainTileMinTimeout=2
TerrainTileTimeout=10
OcclusionQueryAdditionalMemory=5
TerrainTileLoadingTimeout=5

I haven't actually, no. I wouldn't even know where to begin tweaking these values, but please share your results with us whenever you find the time if you do plan to experiment with them. Who knows, maybe they can actually fix the "Texture Quality" setting that has been broken since launch! :p

I changed TerrainTileMipDataBudget to 120.
lines regarding budget amount (in user.settings and rendering.ini) define the amount of dedicated VRam and in some situations could reduce pop-in issue but there's no guarantee to that. basically after tweaking the game's visual aspects beyond their default ultra value, one should also increase its corresponding memory budget. however keep in mind that increasing too much results in instability and frequent crash.

Edit: TextureMemoryBudget & DecalBudget could also be found in rendering.ini
I changed them from 800 & 100 to 1000 & 120 respectively. but I did this to keep a good performance after tweaking shadows and foliage.

Last edited:
I haven't actually, no. I wouldn't even know where to begin tweaking these values, but please share your results with us whenever you find the time if you do plan to experiment with them. Who knows, maybe they can actually fix the "Texture Quality" setting that has been broken since launch! :p

I haven't tested them but the one that catches my eye the most is: OcclusionQueryAdditionalMemory=5 considering that maybe something might effect glitches seen in the game. Considering that Rotfiend glitch that explodes that now I suddenly started getting after 1.07 Patch release.

So...

Since the NPC pop in annoys me to no end I went digging in the games files. Found this file > community, in > The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt\bin\config\r4game\legacy\base.

It has some very interesting text> (the part at the end is the most interesting part)
[Constants]
; When agent can't find AP than CS will try to find it again after FIND_AP_AGAIN_TIMER seconds.
FIND_AP_AGAIN_TIMER=5.0

; Method OnTick() will be executed every TICK_TIMER seconds.
TICK_TIMER=1.0

; Agent stub simulation speed, the lower value, the faster agent
AGENT_STUB_SPEED=1.0

; The spawn point radius default value
SPAWN_POINT_RADIUS=5.0

; Maximum time for community tick (used in thread)
TICK_MAX_TIME=0.005

; Visibility system: spawn agent stub to NPC radius
VISIBILITY_SPAWN_RADIUS=60.0

; Visibility system: despawn NPC to agent stub radius
VISIBILITY_DESPAWN_RADIUS=80.0

; Visibility system: despawn NPC to agent stub radius when player is in community area
VISIBILITY_AREA_DESPAWN_RADIUS=30.0

; Visibility system: the player center will be shifted according to factor
VISIBILITY_CENTER_SHIFT_FACTOR=2.0

; Visibility system: if true, than changing visibility radius from gameplay is allowed
VISIBILITY_RADIUS_CHANGE_ENABLED=true

; NPC Snap to mesh while moving radius
SNAP_TO_MESH_RADIUS=40.0

; The limit of spawned NPCs
MAX_SPAWNED_NPC_LIMIT=300

; Timeout for the period of time we are willing to wait for the initial community
; to get spawned after a game is restored from a save
LOAD_TIMEOUT=10.0

Is this "we are willing to wait" something the developers at CDPR are saying to the developers of the software that does the in game texture streaming?

There also seem to be some interesting lines referring to NPC spawning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom