A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea this "Modkit" sucks. And CDPR's been preaching about REDKIT for years now in several articles. Another day, another lie from CDPR. Shame on them. And they were supposed to be the "Good guy". Guess everyone falls.

My GTX 980 ti will arrive after 2 day. And I can't believe that I am not going to buy this game and play it. What I will play with this new card is MGS TPP and mad max. This game and this company was number 1 for me before this game release. And after that this company died every day in my eyes. Yes I know that this game is not bad, or even good enough. But CDProject promised us totally different and better things than that. At least I think like that. And that REDKIT was..... I remember they promised that they will release REDKIT in many many interviews. They even said that this time it will not take time as long as Witcher 2 REDKIT. That tool was my last hope for the atmosphere and graphics of this game which the half part of this game.

@berserker66666;
Not long ago, you gave an idea about changing the low-res textures with new ones. it seems that the new modkit should be able to handle this. do we have access to all texture files with this new toy ? if yes, then all we need to do is to make a copy of hi-res textures and rename them like low-res ones so that the engine is fooled for good and the annoying texture pop-in issue is done for !

anyone who know a way for doing this trick please do everyone a favor and enlighten us.
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
My GTX 980 ti will arrive after 2 day. And I can't believe that I am not going to buy this game and play it. What I will play with this new card is MGS TPP and mad max. This game and this company was number 1 for me before this game release. And after that this company died every day in my eyes. Yes I know that this game is not bad, or even good enough. But CDProject promised us totally different and better things than that. At least I think like that. And that REDKIT was..... I remember they promised that they will release REDKIT in many many interviews. They even said that this time it will not take time as long as Witcher 2 REDKIT. That tool was my last hope for the atmosphere and graphics of this game which the half part of this game.

GIve *yourself* a chance to play Witcher 3 in the future. All the people here are always complaining, while I am here *happy* to play and enjoy this game in ultra-LOW quality and 15 fps circa because I can't get a better video card and hardware in general.

I'm not happy too with CDPR because they said a lot of things about the game that are not true (and believe me people, I remember a lot more than you) and because I don't like how the game development went.

1) I've never seen such a strange lightning/shadow system
2) A lot of crappy middleware (sorry, that's crappy to me)

The game crashes if you overclock the GPU, they won't release something like REDkit to let users improve the performances and probably there will be no big DirectX 12 patch that would help run the game better, so my hopes are down. At least, I'm still enjoying the world in the game.

Hi I just did most of the tweaks here, but I seem to have some grass/foliage flickering issues (pops in and out when I move the camera). Appareantly this is because of some of the grass and foliage settings here. Can anyone help me get rid of them?

Interesting that you are willing to play MGSV which comes from a terrible company compared to CDP.

Outside indies, CDPR is number 1 in my opinion, they are not perfect, but if something the witcher games should've taught a lot of people here, is that the world isnt made of black and white, but of shades of gray.

"But CDProject promised us totally different and better things than that" no they didnt, It's getting old to hear people with intentions to complain replace everything said by every person in a company with "promises".

"That tool was my last hope for the atmosphere and graphics of this game which the half part of this game. " Are you serious? I mean sure you can like graphics as much as you want and be friends with Crytek and all that, but you are talking as if the graphics went from good to bad or something, TW3 in my humble opinion is still the best looking game out right now and by far. Technically it's not the most realistic or the most CGI looking, but its design makes it absolutely destroy any other game I've seen visually. So far, I think the only one that might come close to it is FFXV, but I haven't played that of course.

All of this is coming from someone who's pretty disappointed about RedKit not coming out for now, but I dont know, I guess mistakes that a company makes aren't 10 times as important as any good thing they do to me.

Yea this "Modkit" sucks. And CDPR's been preaching about REDKIT for years now in several articles. Another day, another lie from CDPR. Shame on them. And they were supposed to be the "Good guy". Guess everyone falls.

Man, get off your high horse. Show me your game dev studio and the games you make before you spew out your "good guy" "bad guy" b.s. Game dev is a business and sometimes you make decisions that are not easy to explain to others. You talk like CDPR sits around a table and laugh as they think of ways to screw people.

---------- Updated at 02:59 AM ----------

You're funny! That's one of the most asinine things I've read on this thread. This is a compendium of "fixes" thread. Not a compendium of "Entitlement whining". Take a page from someone like Verrenus, who actually spends time looking for ways to improve the game. And enough of the, "They promised us blah blah". CDPR never made a promise for anything.

You people should know the real definitions of "lie" and "Promise". No dev worth their salt intentionally tries to screw their fanbase. They poured their hearts and souls into this game and sure, they said a lot of things, but like all epic scale software projects, certain things do not work out as planned. There are always tough choices to be made that aren't always great, but someone has to make them for the progression of the project. No one sits at a table and says, "Look, let's just lie and promise shit for no reason". For a multi million dollar project, that's just stupid. For a game of this scale that required risks to make, you bet your ass that everything they do is for the greater good of the game and its future, not some silly conspiracy of "lies" and broken "promises".

Look at the AAA buget bioshock infinite, Early trailers showed a much more ambitious game with the devs "promising" many things that ended up not being in the final game. Sh!t happens. There will never be perfect answers for the things CDPR does and say for PR, but that's the nature of how a business works. Decisions have to made for the greater good, and sometimes you cannot always satisfy everyone in your fanbase. These guys have gone way above and beyond to please their fans, more than than even the biggest companies out there. Relax and cut them some slack. There is only so much they can do.

TLDR: Know the definitions of "lies" and "promise" and understand that CDPR can only do so much.

Last edited:
"But CDProject promised us totally different and better things than that" no they didnt, It's getting old to hear people with intentions to complain replace everything said by every person in a company with "promises".

Um......yes they did. It's not a "Promise" per se but a direct statement on several articles and videos about things like E3 graphics and REDKIT. Sure their game is great but that's not the point here. They lied to us after years of stating they would give us these options. Heck they even lied till the very moment the game was released. And that my friend is what our "number 1 company" has become. No one and I mean no one should ever support these kind of behavior from a company no matter who they are. People buys games based on some of the decisions and statements develop makes and when they don't keep their words and back out, those buyers have their right to be pissed off. I was a staunch supporter of CDPR but all these recent decisions and lies made me from a fanboy to a skeptic.

Why do we all ramble about these things. Why do we take the time to go to forums, twitter and other sites to voice our concern about these things? It's because we care about Witcher 3. It's because we care about CDPR and what they stand for. If it was any other company (EA, Activision, Ubisoft), we wouldn't give two cents about their products or whatever they have to say cause we know how they operate. But that's not the case with CDPR and Witcher 3. We know CDPR are "good guys". We want Witcher 3 for the long haul like Skyrim. Modding the game with REDKIT would've opened up huge potential in terms of what new and exciting contents could've been achieved. The "ModKit" that CDPR released only allows limited access to files and doesn't allow for much creative freedom.

We want to sing the praises of CDPR as the best video game company ever but decisions and lies like these crushes all hopes and gives us reason to doubt the company who made the game which is easily a GOTY winner..

Last edited:
Anyone know how can I tweak the day/night cycle time in game? Now a full day/night cycle is about 90 min, but I want to make it longer. Anyway to do it? Better without debugger console. Thanks.

Not long ago, you gave an idea about changing the low-res textures with new ones. it seems that the new modkit should be able to handle this. do we have access to all texture files with this new toy ? if yes, then all we need to do is to make a copy of hi-res textures and rename them like low-res ones so that the engine is fooled for good and the annoying texture pop-in issue is done for !

Yes I think it's possible. If there's 3 layers of texture low med and high which changes as the distance between the player and the object increases/decreases, changing all those 3 texture models with hi res version should probably eliminate texture popping as you'll see high res texture on objects no matter from which distance you're looking at the object from. It all depends on this "ModKit's capability. Will have to look into this.

Does anybody know how to force another type on antialiasing which is not the in-game one? I find the default AA to make the image look a bit blurrier, and I tried to force the AA from the Nvidia Control Panel by setting it to "Override any application setting" and 4x, but looks like it didn't work.

Yes I think it's possible. If there's 3 layers of texture low med and high which changes as the distance between the player and the object increases/decreases, changing all those 3 texture models with hi res version should probably eliminate texture popping as you'll see high res texture on objects no matter from which distance you're looking at the object from. It all depends on this "ModKit's capability. Will have to look into this.

I hope that wouldn't hit the performance so much.
there's also another thing that bothers me. judging by TW3 low installation size, there's high possibility that only one version of texture is included and the engine is responsible for downgrading textures locating far away. if that's be the case then modkit is completely useless for this matter.

:cirisad:

Does anybody know how to force another type on antialiasing which is not the in-game one? I find the default AA to make the image look a bit blurrier, and I tried to force the AA from the Nvidia Control Panel by setting it to "Override any application setting" and 4x, but looks like it didn't work.

TW3 uses TXAA (in-game AA) and does not support MSAA. so if you want to enhance or override it, keep in mind that your only option is FXAA..

@Geralt_of_bsas , @darspiron

If I answer your words here will begin a war. So I do not want to do that. All I said is my opinion.

I know that game looks beautiful. So play and enjoy. I will wait. I hope I do not have to wait 10 year.

EDIT: MGS showed us what the game will look like in final version. In trailers the models was too low poly,fire effetcs was terrible only lighting was beautiful. But that was true. Only Ground zeroes was downgraded after 2012 trailer. And even there the texture was improved a lot. And Mad Max was not downgraded too. The graphics is not bad than Witcher 3 in that game. And even improved by graphical side. That is what I estimate.

Sorry for off topic. Please do not delete that post and I will not write off topic again. THX.

Last edited:
If you have Nvidia GPU, you can use DSR from Nvidia Control Panel. Works only in fullscreen, though. And it's a major performance hit.

Well, i think i managed to fix the graphics tonight, on 1.08, and in the process completely return my framerate to close to launch levels.

I think i'm done for a bit, just in case this helps anyone else.

1. Apply the cascadeshadowdistance changes from page 1. (i lowered mine for my system, using 1.5 and 2, looking to push it lower if possible).
2. What fixes popin, at least back to older version levels is MeshRenderingDistanceScale.. i set this to 2.5 and my test saves for npc popin passed acceptably.
3. FoliageShadowDistanceScale should be bumped up as well, im using 100 at the moment, still need to experiment more.

Welcome back to patch 1.03 quality and fps. Finding out that for all this time, at least i've been wrestling with and getting misleaded by a bunch of multipliers changing internally is yeah.. not so fun.

Good luck, and thanks for this awesome thread.

After further testing.. this is a nice minimum, to my eyes at least.

[Rendering]
CascadeShadowDistanceScale0=1.3
CascadeShadowDistanceScale1=1.3
CascadeShadowDistanceScale2=1.5
CascadeShadowDistanceScale3=1.5
MeshRenderingDistanceScale=2.5

On my setup, 780ti oc @2560 i'm going to drop shadow scale 0 and 1 to 1.2 for better fps... but 1.3 seems to be the value in my testing where i didn't notice the shadows popping in. The foliage setting seems to clamp at 64.

Last edited:
Anyone know how can I tweak the day/night cycle time in game? Now a full day/night cycle is about 90 min, but I want to make it longer. Anyway to do it? Better without debugger console. Thanks.

You can tweak it

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/56160-Are-we-able-to-slow-time-down-yet?p=1890527#post1890527

---------- Updated at 07:23 PM ----------

On 1.08.2 patch there is no more mip bias scale ? In the settings cofig

Wait what? You sure? You mean to say 1.08.2 patch removes Texturemipbias scale from user.settings file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom