A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't seem to be able to search through this thread, so I'll just ask.
Is there any way to adjust how many auto-saves game keeps?

Is there a setting that we can change to avoid those fences and walls popping up or changing LODs?

Just like many here have reported before, I am afraid that most of the settings governing object/character pop-in and LOD changes have had their values hard-locked by CDPR in the name of enhancing/preserving the game's performance. No one knows why they couldn't let us tweak those parameters as well, it's not like our machines have tons of extra performance compared to consoles... :dry:

The patch 1.11 made game very very easy!!! The Death Mode is easy too! Burn to Hell CDPR!

I am sorry, my friend, but flaming is not acceptable here. If you have any constructive criticism regarding the gameplay balancing of patch 1.11, then by all means politely tell CDPR about it in a separate thread! ;)

Last edited:
Hey! I got a bug at the "Get Junior - Defeat the Assassins" quest. There is this mob that doesn't have any hp and and I can't kill it. Thus I can't pass forward through the campaign. I will attach a printscreen.
Thank you!

Attachments

• witcher3 2015-11-02 01-54-53-50.jpg
    witcher3 2015-11-02 01-54-53-50.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 38
Hey! I got a bug at the "Get Junior - Defeat the Assassins" quest. There is this mob that doesn't have any hp and and I can't kill it. Thus I can't pass forward through the campaign. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your question, irisim! :p

Unfortunately, you are not the only one to have encountered this issue, since I recall several threads on the forum about invincible NPC enemies. I, too, have encountered some during one of the Radovid quests towards the end of the game and they only became killable again after I moved Geralt a few dozen feet further towards the objective marker and then backtracked to kill the remaining foes. :dry:

In the end, I believe this is something only CDPR can fix, since they already have so many hard-locked parameters that we cannot play around with. If we had the full REDkit at our disposal, like we were promised so many times in the past, then surely we could have made the game truly shine, but alas, we can only do so much for the time being. :(

Hi all,

This was the first thread I found when Witcher 3 came out and is the only thread I've come back to time and time again to tweak this game. I appreciate the time and effort that has gone into this immensely! Thank you!

Now, after taking a break from the game I've come back to about 4 new patches which have introduced some cool things. The one not cool thing is texture stream in/pop in. It's horrendous. So, I'm trying to find out if there is a tweak for this because I didn't find one added to the OP or in my brief slog through other posts. Any help would be appreciated!

And again, thanks for all the work that has gone into this!

EDIT: I should let you guys know I'm running on nearly all Ultra settings with Hairworks on Geralt only.

As I run around more I seem to notice an overall degradation of graphic fidelity compared to earlier patches (played on 1.06 until very recently - wanted to finish my first playthrough). Hopefully this is in my head but any feedback on that would be appreciated as well!

Last edited:
Hi all,

This was the first thread I found when Witcher 3 came out and is the only thread I've come back to time and time again to tweak this game. I appreciate the time and effort that has gone into this immensely! Thank you!

Now, after taking a break from the game I've come back to about 4 new patches which have introduced some cool things. The one not cool thing is texture stream in/pop in. It's horrendous. So, I'm trying to find out if there is a tweak for this because I didn't find one added to the OP or in my brief slog through other posts. Any help would be appreciated!

And again, thanks for all the work that has gone into this!

EDIT: I should let you guys know I'm running on nearly all Ultra settings with Hairworks on Geralt only.

As I run around more I seem to notice an overall degradation of graphic fidelity compared to earlier patches (played on 1.06 until very recently - wanted to finish my first playthrough). Hopefully this is in my head but any feedback on that would be appreciated as well!

Thank you ever so much for your kind thoughts, my friend! It is always great to hear that our humble thread managed to help you get more out of your time with The Witcher 3 and I promise that I will do my best to keep the OP up-to-date with the greatest tweaks and fixes available! :cheers2:

That being said, the latest patches did seem to nerf the LOD system even further than before and, apart from tweaking the TextureMemoryBudget and TextureStreaming parameters as shown in the OP, I am afraid there is not much else that can be done, given that CDPR hard-locked almost every other setting governing texture/object/character LOD and pop-in. :dry:

We still don't know why this is the case on PC - probably to give some sort of false parity with the console versions? - but for the time being, we are waiting either for the full REDkit to become available, or for CDPR to finally realise that they're holding us back massively in terms of what could otherwise be achieved on our machines had we not had our hands tied like this! :(

Last edited:
Thank you ever so much for your kind thoughts, my friend! It is always great to hear that our humble thread managed to help you get more out of your time with The Witcher 3 and I promise that I will do my best to keep the OP up-to-date with the greatest tweaks and fixes available! :cheers2:

That being said, the latest patches did seem to nerf the LOD system even further than before and, apart from tweaking the TextureMemoryBudget and TextureStreaming parameters as shown in the OP, I am afraid there is not much else that can be done, given that CDPR hard-locked almost every other setting governing texture/object/character LOD and pop-in. :dry:

We still don't know why this is the case on PC - probably to give some sort of false parity with the console versions? - but for the time being, we are waiting either for the full REDkit to become available, or for CDPR to finally realise that they're holding us back massively in terms of what could otherwise be achieved on our machines had we not had our hands tied like this! :(

I appreciate the response! It definitely is a shame that they've hard-locked those options. I'll take another look at those LOD options you mentioned in case I missed tweaking them the first go-round. Have to say I'm not incredibly optimistic when it comes to the REDkit being released soon if it all. Let's hope!

Cheers!

I appreciate the response! It definitely is a shame that they've hard-locked those options. I'll take another look at those LOD options you mentioned in case I missed tweaking them the first go-round. Have to say I'm not incredibly optimistic when it comes to the REDkit being released soon if it all. Let's hope!

Cheers!

No problem at all, my friend! ;)

Here are the parameters I mentioned before, for even quicker referencing:

User.settings file (...\Documents\The Witcher 3):

[Rendering]
TextureMemoryBudget=2048 . . . . . . . . . . (set this value to 1/3 of your GPU's video memory)
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimitSq=200 . . . . . . . . . . (double the default value: 100)
TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=false . . . . . . . . . . (this line does not exist by default and needs to be copy/pasted directly into your file)
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimitSq=450 . . . . . . . . . . (double the default value: 225)

Good luck tweaking and please report back with your results to let us know if these changes amounted to a positive change on your end. Until then., have a blast playing the game! :D

Last edited:
No problem at all, my friend! ;)

Here are the parameters I mentioned before, for even quicker referencing:

User.settings file (...\Documents\The Witcher 3):

[Rendering]
TextureMemoryBudget=2048 . . . . . . . . . . (set this value to 1/3 of your GPU's video memory)
TextureStreamingHeadsDistanceLimitSq=200 . . . . . . . . . . (double the default value: 100)
TextureStreamingReduceGameplayLOD=false . . . . . . . . . . (this line does not exist by default and needs to be copy/pasted directly into your file)
TextureStreamingCharacterDistanceLimitSq=450 . . . . . . . . . . (double the default value: 225)

Good luck tweaking and please report back with your results to let us know if these changes amounted to a positive change on your end. Until then., have a blast playing the game! :D

Hello ! Why these settings are not correct in the rendering.ini :) ? Thank you

Hello ! Why these settings are not correct in the rendering.ini :) ? Thank you

Thank you very much for an excellent question, my friend! :p

The rendering.ini file in your "...The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt/bin/config/base" folder contains all of the default values for the parameters that can be tweaked in your user.settings file. This means that even should you make a mistake during tweaking, you can still delete both the user.settings and user.settings.bak files from your "Documents/The Witcher 3" folder and then let the game create new ones from the default values listed in the rendering.ini file upon relaunching the game and resetting all of your in-game settings to their previous selected values.

However, the rendering.ini file cannot be regenerated by the game in the same way, so if you make tweaks directly to it instead of through your user.settings file, as recommended in the OP, then the only way to roll back any mistakes is to delete your rendering.ini file altogether and conduct a verify/repair operation on the entire game installation in order to re-download it!

I think you will agree that tweaking the user.settings file is a much better alternative should anything go wrong! :D

Last edited:
Quick question to anyone who has an answer - In the tweaks, why is it recommended to have Nvidia AA gamma correction turned off? I have an idea what this does, but if someone would be kind enough to give me an accurate explanation, that would be great. Thanks!

Quick question to anyone who has an answer - In the tweaks, why is it recommended to have Nvidia AA gamma correction turned off? I have an idea what this does, but if someone would be kind enough to give me an accurate explanation, that would be great. Thanks!

And thank you for an excellent question, my friend! :D

From the equally excellent Tweak Guides (scroll right down to the bottom of the webpage):

"It is recommended that Antialiasing - Gamma Correction be set to Off..., as it appears to have no impact on modern games, which are most likely already appropriately adjusting for gamma, and it may actually cause issues with the appearance of thin lines in older games if enabled."

Here is what the article author meant by issues caused when this setting ON versus OFF. Notice how thin the trees appear with the setting turned on and how much more natural everything looks with it turned off! Just as with this example from Half-Life 2, the visual quality of The Witcher 3 also benefits from having "Antialiasing - Gamma Correction" turned off from the NVIDIA Control Panel. ;)

Last edited:
It's a good idea to delete user.settings after every patch, but maybe is better to disable Cloud as well, at least for the first time you run the game after a new patch.
The game seems to save user.settings in Cloud, at least in Steam version.

It's a good idea to delete user.settings after every patch, but maybe is better to disable Cloud as well, at least for the first time you run the game after a new patch. The game seems to save user.settings in Cloud, at least in Steam version.

Thank you very much for your suggestion, Siegfriedm! :p

Since I am using GOG Galaxy with my copy of The Witcher 3, I was personally unaware this could happen with Steam's Cloud save system, but you're right - disabling it for The Witcher 3, at least, makes a lot of sense towards starting with a fresh config file after every patch! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom